• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's get rolling!

iZt3BcfpZ9bL6.gif

akb 0048 1

Wait what?

ib1TrSEl7x16Fk.gif

This comedy.

bubblegum.jpg

wonder what that hair feels like?

Speaking of which... her hair is way too long for factory work. Machines will chomp that stuff up like bubblegum.

america.jpg

Well fuck you too sir.

Why does that segway/unicycle make no sense? Why does it glow? Why what?

ieBjQ10cTPYrt.gif

God damn plot armor.

Dresden

could it be . . . list time?

Will try:

longneck NTRtamina show
moyashimon 2
uta-koi
bingougami ga
jinrui wa sumashita
sword art online

Was quite sure there was a v2 of that chart. Guess Im committed to a few of those already, Kingdom and SAO look the most compelling (no idea of the source material for those), as well as continuing other series, also looking forward to that Arcana Famiglia, Campione!, Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II, Rinne no Lagrange 2, tight-rope ova for summer sometime.

survivor

Banned
All of these summer anime have some dumb weaboo names. So from the ones with proper names I will give Sword Art Online and Tari Tari a chance

We all know the best show will be that one show where a boy is trying to fuck his sister.

No, you have it backwards -- he's trying to figure out who she is so he can avoid that. It's the sister who wants to marry her brother, and won't tell him who she is because she knows he'll rule her out if he learns.

Anyway, as for those, only a few look too interesting, but I guess I might check out Hagure Yuusha no Estetica, that series you mention there, Binbougami Ga, maybe the female Nobunaga show (seriously, another one? There are so many of these now... also, it looks like she has a bra on there. Historically inaccurate! :p)... yeah, nothing there's likely to be good, but hopefully something will be entertainingly bad. Beyond that, it's just a question of which even worse shows are maybe worth watching.

The best thing coming in the summer is clearly going to be Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The Movie A's, but that's just in theaters.

I guess super early summer list time!

For sure:
Sword Art Online
Horizon 2

Intrigued:
Hagure Yuusha no Estetica
La storia della Arcana Famiglia
Binbougami ga!

Backlog/Need to watch Season 1 first:
Moyashimon Returns
Rinne no Lagrange Season 2

Master Keaton 29

All I got out of this episode was there's a dude named Frank Miller in it

Heartcatch Precure 44-46

Now we're finally getting somewhere. It only took 92% of the entire show.
Marine vs Kumojacky and Sunshine vs Cobraja
is exactly what I wanted out of this in the first place.

Also, this is the most badass shot in the entire series:

<3 Coppe

Jex

According to MAL, this is the 500th anime I've completed...

Angel's Egg

Really interesting movie. I think one of the issues I had with Innocence is that it was a philosophical movie that pretended it was also an action film and a mystery, but I didn't think it mixed all that well. Here there's no false hook and it's exactly what it wants to be.

Ah, but you see being dangerously honest has the draw back of pleasing no-one and making no money at all. Of course, you could still do that kind of thing in the 80's and have a career afterwards.

Articalys

For everything else, there's Biglobe™.
Which female characters attract the most unhealthy fanboy obsession?

1. Homura (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
2. Misaka Mikoto (Toaru Kagaku no Railgun)
3. Ririchiyo Shirakiin (Inu x Boku SS)
4. Charlotte Dunois (Infinite Stratos)
5. Tenshi (Angel Beats!)
6. Mami (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
7. Akiyama Mio (K-ON!)
8. Azunyan (K-ON!)
9. Ranka Lee (Macross Frontier)
10. Sena Kashiwazaki (Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai)
11. Hirasawa Yui (K-ON!)
12. Sengoku Nadeko (Bakemonogatari)
13. Kuroneko (Ore no Imouto)
14. Zessica Wong (Aquarion Evol)
15. Kirino Kousaka (Ore no Imouto)
16. Hinagiku (Hayate no Gotoku!)
17. Index (Toaru Majutsu no Index)
18. Sheryl Nome (Macross Frontier)
19. Sayaka (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
20. Nagato (Haruhi Suzumiya)
A recency bias has been reported to be in full effect.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Of course, but Summer always sucks.*

*I say this having watched anime as for only a couple of years.

And that sucks. It's when it's cold outside that the good stuff should be airing.

Damn you Japan for being in the Northern Hemisphere.

Master Keaton 29

All I got out of this episode was there's a dude named Frank Miller in it

Heartcatch Precure 44-46

Now we're finally getting somewhere. It only took 92% of the entire show.
Marine vs Kumojacky and Sunshine vs Cobraja
is exactly what I wanted out of this in the first place.

Also, this is the most badass shot in the entire series:

<3 Coppe

They did mention Coppe was the most awesome thing in like eps 2 ;)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ah, but you see being dangerously honest has the draw back of pleasing no-one and making no money at all. Of course, you could still do that kind of thing in the 80's and have a career afterwards.
Yeah, that's what kept coming to mind while I was watching: "There's no way in hell a movie like this could be made today."

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon R Episode One
7Yx9b.jpg

She's Back!

Stop picking on Naru you meanies. :(

Anyway, this episode picks up two months after the end of the first season
while Usagi and Co. have still lost their memories.

Usagi is still the same as ever, complete with toast in mouth. I wonder what the first show to do the toast in mouth was. This needs research.

The new villains are already more interesting than the dark kingdom, since they have better, more interesting goals than just "hurrrr we are evil". There was a pretty good balance of comedy throughout, especially with their "undying love" for each other.

Mamoru has so much swag
even aliens fall for him.

I can tell this first arc is pretty much going to be
let's retcon the ending of the first season away so we can get to the good stuff
, but Usagi still manages to be entertaining as usual, so I'll take it.

t0KTQ.jpg

I wonder who this girl could be, she looks a little familiar

It's a bit disappointing she still has the same transformation, I was hoping for a new one. Oh well. Jupiter's transformation will still rock!

Cajunator, here's some motivation for you to finish the first season and get to the second!
fpqkK.jpg

Risette

A Good Citizen
Yeah, that's what kept coming to mind while I was watching: "There's no way in hell a movie like this could be made today."
Technically it was an OVA with a limited theatrical release afterwards. I could see something like it being released as an OVA today maybe?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Alas for the economic collapse.
The value of anime has clearly been in a deflationary spiral for two decades, outside the stimulus of western funds. Less people spend money on anime leads to increase in pandering for those who do which leads to lowered perception and less non-otaku spending money and so on and so on.

Jex

[Legend of the Legendary Kora] - 4

Well this certainly had the potential to be an episode of anime.
Good ol NTR
, CG cars, women running over men with vespa's, thin disguises,
girls falling in love with guys at the drop of hat
and some angst.

It was pretty good, really.

Ultimadrago

Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage 11 (Ep. 23)

So episode starts with Yukio's "family" getting their asses wrecked because they suck.
She found out late that Balalaika hosts a small military and not a gang of thugs. This made me laugh heartily as she slumped her head in the backseat.

3cZRe.jpg

Screw Lagoon/Yukio's side, I'm on Balalaika's side.

Anyways, she's after Yukio's ass and I hope she makes it. Here's to hoping the entire operation not being halted by Rock standing on a bench and spouting a speech. Later on, we see Yukio speaking with her chauffeur, she tells him to leave Gin and her in the car to spare his life. He is reluctant, but goes on ahead and cries for they young lady that is prepared to lay down her life to spare the scraps of her clan.

She tries to locate Balalaika...by
robbing a bank? This method is supposedly effective as they use the same type of vehicles Balalaika's men are using.
The top dog thinks the counter-tactic is cute and is ready for a little challenge.

Okay, so the episode makes a standard location transition all the way back to Roanapur. Dutch and Benny speak on its hell raising in Balalaika's absence. The interesting part about this scene is that Dutch acknowledges gratefulness towards Rock never holding a gun. He doesn't fully explain himself, instead, saying a small joke when Benny responds with curiosity. Strange that I was just speaking on how the development of Rock adapting to his new world in terms of tangible protection or demeanor would improve the narrative (and Rock). Dutch instead argues against my point for a reason he doesn't explain.

Now, there are obvious reasons as to why Rock shouldn't have tried to become a pistol slinging badass out the gate. However, I'd like to think Dutch has a deeper reasoning behind being glad that Rock is still pathetic diplomatic.

eYL6v.jpg

Asking for mooore, Oliver Twist?

So Rock talks out of place again after
Balalaika meets up with him and Revy. Showing once more, twice more, thrice more that he does not understand the dealings of the underworld. My complaints from last episode transfer here. Rock has had plenty of dealings and time to recognize where he is and specifically, who Balalaika is. He deserves to get shot in the mouth. It would spare this character more suffering from hosting a thick skull.

So many delicious shots of the gun up to Rock's face. I didn't even choose the best one.

IFbzH.jpg

Superior character, show should have been about her

What in the talk-no-jutsu was this?! So Rock admits that he's also just as rotten as the folks in Roanapur because pointless means of administering "justice" is his...hobby?

Lil' Jon: Whaaaaaaaaaat! Whaaaaaaaaat!

So anyways, supposedly this saves Rock's life. I'd prefer to think she would have let him walk anyways because I don't see how that could have met EITHER of her requirements for
sparing a life (Entertainment or explanation of utility.)

This was adapted as a manga, so I can't blame the studio for this, but that was non-good. Revy gives him much deserved shit for pulling off such a stunt that was sure to get them both killed.

They have a talk in the local playground and Rock says that this time he has learned resolve and has
accepted that his life will never be the same and even questions how "real" his past life was to him.

Then more terrible cute Revy ENGRISH for the whole family as she shows the local brats more shooting skills but this time making them piss their pants as she uses her "very real"cutlass.

Scene transition: Yukio has decided to utilize tangible goods in order to adapt to her new path in the darkness.
Those who live by the yadda, shall hopefully die by the yadda. In her attempt to become less of a burden to her clan and to Gin she wants to be packin'.

Overall, I disliked Rock, but enjoyed Balalaika and Revy (kind of). I see where the development is going, but it is not ideal in my eyes at all. My complaints with Rock are set in my previous review, but his addition here is not much of one at all. He is no longer adding to my experience, not as a protagonist or anything else.

Here's to hoping the finale can go out with a nicer bang.

cajunator

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom