• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

AKB0048 1

I've known about the absolutely insane premise since December.
I've seen the trailers. I've heard the music.
I still wasn't ready.

XCD6m.png

Let's ride this crazy train into the sun.

edit: Special mention goes to the entire pre-title introductory sequence, which is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen.

cajunator

Banned
AKB0048 1

I've known about the absolutely insane premise since December.
I've seen the trailers. I've heard the music.
I still wasn't ready.

XCD6m.png

edit: Special mention goes to the entire pre-title introductory sequence, which is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen.

I am also on this train. Let us ride into the unknown!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 04
This was...unexpected. This episode was actually pretty incredible. Part of it might be me adjusting to its style, but everything about it is clicking now. It probably deserves a much more exhaustive post when I wake up tomorrow morning, but this show is wildly exceeding my expectations. I do not think this show is for everyone, but more people should really be watching it.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia - 04

hair5wu6y.gif

It felt like the episode was 40 minutes long but great 40 minutes. The show gets better and better with each new episode. Amazing!

Dust Maiden of Amnesia 04

This was...unexpected. This episode was actually pretty incredible. Part of it might be me adjusting to its style, but everything about it is clicking now. It probably deserves a much more exhaustive post when I wake up tomorrow morning, but this show is wildly exceeding my expectations. I do not think this show is for everyone, but more people should really be watching it.

I thought it was decent enough, but that's high praise for an episode focused heavily on fan service.

Lain

Accel World 3

HAHAHAHAHAH! I can only laugh at that final scene! Damn it, I'm not sure what kind of feelings it was supposed to evoke to see the two like that and all that conversation with tears and nudge-nudge wink-wink but I could only manage to laugh at it, and laugh some more at the way the episode ended
I still like this show very much though.

cajunator

Banned
Sailor Moon 12

Jadeite is not pleased by Sailor Moon.

The Youma,
Thetis, comes up with a plan using a romantic cruise ship to steal energy.
Lets see if this one works out.

Lol 666 passengers.

Umino gave his tickets away! what a bastard!

But fear not, the shopping district is giving away tickets! Usagi rushes to go win some of them.
She tries ten times and loses. Because she sucks.

Rei, uses some magic-fu to win the game.

Usagi asks if she will take someone else, since she doesnt have a BF. She spies on her and sees that she is inviting ami.

Usagi is mad, so she
uses THE PEN to disguise herself.

She sneaks into the engine room area but Luna notices the ship is moving full speed but the engines are quiet.

Usagi is discovered by the captain.
She flirts with him.

Meanwhile Rei and ami are on the deck hunting for singles.

Jadeite and the youma are in a room discussing stealing the passengers energy. Usagi spies on them. Luna suspects they are youmas. It doesnt work on Rei and Ami because they aren't in love with anyone yet.

USagi becomes Sailor Moon and barges onto the scene.
she insults her friends by calling them loners.

Sailor Mars uses fire Soul to clear out the zombie things surrounding them, then swears to kick Usagi's ass for making fun of them.
That's my Rei.

While the youma is distracted of course, Sailor Moon administers some tiara justice, ending this little problem.

The passengers are rescued off the damaged ship and the girls lament the ruined cruise.

frostbyte

AKB0048 1

This anime tells a dark story of a dystopian society where idols have been banned under the Entertainment Ban for the safety of the general public. Yet a group of idols, AKB0048, valiantly rally against the system, singing concerts where their voices have been unsung, bestowing salvation upon their fans. AKB0048 sings and even fights against the evil, repressive government. This is a story about 3 young girls, inspired by the brave deeds of the infamous AKB0048, trying to become idols themselves. It's a vicious story, rife with conflict and tears as they not only have to fight against the government, but their own families and loved ones. 'Tis truly a heartbreaking tale. Don't be fooled by the happy-go-lucky premise, it's darker than you think.

...Ok, with the trolling aside.

There really are no words to describe this. The CG, the singing, the plot, THE PLOT, WHAT.

The only thing I even vaguely like is the music. Not bad considering all of the other absolutely astounding elements of the show.
I can only hope this continues to give enough lulz per episode or my head will implode sooner or later.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Upotte!! 3

Though not as great as the last episode, It still had it's moments. Not only did they show the battle rifle girls again, but they also had the sub machine gun kids debut which was nice. I was really glad to see more L85A1 screen time, even if it was mostly to say how unreliable she is... You'll get your chance L, one day you will show them all. There was also a return of copious amounts fan service, but still had its fair share of gun play, but it's all good. Overall it was a good episode.

The scene with L wanting to give a long rant but keeping it bottled inside is one of the few occasions foreign media has depicted Brits well. And this is from a show that fails to get the Union flag right half the time.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Thought I'd check in on the anime thread since I so rarely....holy 137 pages?!

Anyway, I've only watched the first episode of Lupin and Eureka AO 01, and the later seems like it may be as solid as the first show.

Any surprises so far this season?

Kids on the Slope and Tsuritama are definite watches. The former I'm surprised you aren't watching already!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I thought it was decent enough, but that's high praise for an episode focused heavily on fan service.
I don't mean to say it's the greatest show of the season or something like that, but considering the studio, the show's history, budget, and the type of show that this is the level of execution was really well done.

While there was an element of fan service embedded in the episode (and frankly the premise), there was a lot of unique and sometimes cerebral stuff going on visually that doesn't have to be there.

Lain

Accel World 4

Ok this kept the laughs going from the get go, though it became a little sad afterward. I can't blame Snow Black for falling in love with the pig avatar, as that is indeed cute and cuddly.
The revelation about who was Cyan Pile wasn't surprising, I hope the ensuing duel will be interesting to watch.

Uchip

Banned
AKB0048 1

This anime tells a dark story of a dystopian society where idols have been banned under the Entertainment Ban for the safety of the general public. Yet a group of idols, AKB0048, valiantly rally against the system, singing concerts where their voices have been unsung, bestowing salvation upon their fans. AKB0048 sings and even fights against the evil, repressive government. This is a story about 3 young girls, inspired by the brave deeds of the infamous AKB0048, trying to become idols themselves. It's a vicious story, rife with conflict and tears as they not only have to fight against the government, but their own families and loved ones. 'Tis truly a heartbreaking tale. Don't be fooled by the happy-go-lucky premise, it's darker than you think.

...Ok, with the trolling aside.

There really are no words to describe this. The CG, the singing, the plot, THE PLOT, WHAT.

The only thing I even vaguely like is the music. Not bad considering all of the other absolutely astounding elements of the show.
I can only hope this continues to give enough lulz per episode or my head will implode sooner or later.

so why was this hyped again?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon 12

Jadeite is not pleased by Sailor Moon.

The Youma,
Thetis, comes up with a plan using a romantic cruise ship to steal energy.
Lets see if this one works out.

Lol 666 passengers.

Umino gave his tickets away! what a bastard!

But fear not, the shopping district is giving away tickets! Usagi rushes to go win some of them.
She tries ten times and loses. Because she sucks.

Rei, uses some magic-fu to win the game.

Usagi asks if she will take someone else, since she doesnt have a BF. She spies on her and sees that she is inviting ami.

Usagi is mad, so she
uses THE PEN to disguise herself.

She sneaks into the engine room area but Luna notices the ship is moving full speed but the engines are quiet.

Usagi is discovered by the captain.
She flirts with him.

Meanwhile Rei and ami are on the deck hunting for singles.

Jadeite and the youma are in a room discussing stealing the passengers energy. Usagi spies on them. Luna suspects they are youmas. It doesnt work on Rei and Ami because they aren't in love with anyone yet.

USagi becomes Sailor Moon and barges onto the scene.
she insults her friends by calling them loners.

Sailor Mars uses fire Soul to clear out the zombie things surrounding them, then swears to kick Usagi's ass for making fun of them.
That's my Rei.

While the youma is distracted of course, Sailor Moon administers some tiara justice, ending this little problem.

The passengers are rescued off the damaged ship and the girls lament the ruined cruise.

I'm glad you seem to be realizing that Rei is the best girl.

cajunator

Banned
Something something idols something something Satelight something something duckroll something something Arjuna.

Close enough.

Also, it was widely accepted that it was gonna be awful, and indeed it is. but unexpectedly brilliantly awful. It has crossed over already to the good kind of awful that contains School Days, Yami, and Code Geass. It is one of the club.

Articalys

It's good to see they're teaching the really important phrases in textbooks! XD
I seem to recall this one series of otaku English textbooks that had copious amounts of Full Metal Jacket quotes, but can't for the life of me remember the name. Or if it was even real.

cajunator

Banned
Dusk Maiden of amnesia 01

Well this was fun. Yuuko is a ghost who haunts a school, and more on the hot scale than the cute scale.
This episode
seems to replay through the opening scenes twice, showing without Yuuko in the picture and later what she was doing to affect objects.
Its an interesting first episode that has some fun with the material and what would happen if a poltergeist just enjoyed fucking with people.
Yuuko also seems to have a relationship with Teiichi in that he can see and communicate (and feel) her. This leads to some hilarious situations.
But there is probably a sad tale to be told here about how Yuuko died. I'm intrigued.

Right now, Sankarea zombie moe > dusk Maiden ghost moe, but we'll see if that stays the case.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I love the "try it" on the right side

Great advice! You have to encourage people to experience it firsthand in order to truly learn the nuances. ;P

great stuff!

LOL it's amazing seeing people try to teach swears! XD

bwahahaha, that's hilarious. The drawing of the clueless guy and Yumi's face is priceless.

I wonder what this book would use in English to describe "yandere". Yumi looks like she might consider it. ;P

Ultimadrago

Sankarea 4
At its most basic, the key elements of this episode are (from what I can tell)
Rea's delight and curiosity at being "freed", her loneliness and uncertainty at being alone in Furuya's house as a zombie, and Furuya's mixture of joy and trepidation as this dream of his comes true. With the exception of her loneliness (which is communicated kind of effectively through the shots of Furuya's clock while she waits for him), many of the moments meant to get these emotions across fall kind of flat, the showering scene being the most guilty of trading pathos for cheap fanservice.

I mean, don't you think it's strange that
she's in Furuya's room for the first time, and she's not even curious about all the stuff on his shelves?
It seems like a real missed opportunity for character development.

Phew, for a second there, I thought you'd skip talk of the loofah!

AKB0048 1

All aboard!

frostbyte

Saki Achiga-hen 4

They're surprisingly focusing some time on the old Saki cast. I'm okay with it but shouldn't they leave that to the eventual Saki mainline sequel?

Oh, Kuro's knocking down those doras like a champ. So broken and unrealistic but so awesome.

I think my yuri goggles fogged up a bit in the middle. Senriyama girls~ :)

I love Saki.

Phew, for a second there, I thought you'd skip talk of the loofah!

I don't think anyone could miss the loofah. It's too...just ugh...

Ultimadrago

I don't want to ruin the end of the episode, but it involves two characters sitting down at a table to talk. This episode has nothing going for it beyond the quality of the art. The greatest Hyouka mystery is why anyone likes it.

I say "Goddamn."
Preach it, dimb. Preach.

The scene with L wanting to give a long rant but keeping it bottled inside is one of the few occasions foreign media has depicted Brits well. And this is from a show that fails to get the Union flag right half the time.

Man, you ain't gonna let them live that down, are ya?

watching AKB0048 is a crime against humanity

image.php

I refuse to be punished from mine oppressors.

cajunator

Banned
Sankarea 4

This show has taken the expected turn into the bizarre. but Rea is cute as a zombie.
Unfortunately now Furuya has to figure out a way to keep her from, you know, rotting away.
The depressing thing about this series is that Rea only found true happiness once she was dead, because her father made her life a living hell. Kind of messed up in that regard. Actually this whole show is pretty messed up. But its fascinating anyway. Also, zombie showers is something I really never thought anybody would come up with but here we are.
Japan you really bring the goods.

Steroyd

AKB0048 - 01

QPs5r.png

It's even more horrid than I could have ever imagined, and the amount of serious drama to everything just added to the pure hilarity of it all.

And this train even flies, woo woo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom