• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

I stopped reading right there. Suda51 is nothing more than a walking piece of garbage who happens to make games. How that piece of garbage gained sentience is a mystery the world's top scientists are still working on figuring out. It'll be tough but I think they'll still figure it out before he ever makes a single worthwhile piece of actual interactive entertainment.

You'll have to play his game if you want to see that Bones animation though.

duckroll

Oh, I can't say for sure, but considering the hype here (and by "here" I mean in Brazil), I'd say at least a few were expecting the show to be enjoyable simply because of Umakoshi's influence, like his designs' quality would jump over to the other aspects of the show through osmosis or something like that.

Umakoshi is a designer and an animator. He is known for distinctive poses and a great sense of melee combat choreography. He is not just the designer here but also the animation director. Saint Seiya is a shounen fighting franchise where things like designs, poses, and action are very important factors. Why wouldn't fans have the expectation that Umakoshi's contribution would influence all aspects of the show? Of course it would, and it has.

You'll have to play his game if you want to see that Bones animation though.

Why would I? The animation is already on Youtube in HD.

Jex

I don't really see why it would be a tragedy. What exactly would we be missing out on? Judging from the non-Miyazaki/Takahata output from Ghibli... we're not really missing anything.

Well, the real 'talent' that they could have nurtured died or left (e.g. Hosoda).

Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi 06
QUONc.jpg
Stalking at its max.
Flashback episode! We go back in time to talk about the characters. It is as exciting as it sounds.

Jex

Well, I just question if there is really much tradition in Ghibli itself if this is the case. If it's just the Miyazaki and Takahata show, that really isn't much of a tradition.

The tradition of abusing staff will continue even in their absence.

Oh wait, that's a tradition in pretty much every animation studio.

Jex

I stopped reading right there. Suda51 is nothing more than a walking piece of garbage who happens to make games. How that piece of garbage gained sentience is a mystery the world's top scientists are still working on figuring out. It'll be tough but I think they'll still figure it out before he ever makes a single worthwhile piece of actual interactive entertainment.

Aww shit son.

Umakoshi is a designer and an animator. He is known for distinctive poses and a great sense of melee combat choreography. He is not just the designer here but also the animation director. Saint Seiya is a shounen fighting franchise where things like designs, poses, and action are very important factors. Why wouldn't fans have the expectation that Umakoshi's contribution would influence all aspects of the show? Of course it would, and it has.

Influenced by completely missing the point on stuff like the exclusion of pandora boxes and turning the cloths into leotards.

duckroll

Why can't people look at the subject matter over the people involved?

As much as we all wish to be well-rounded individuals that can look at any premise objectively, we each have different tastes. If someone says they absolutely hate cleats kicking up astroturf, I'm not going to recommend them a soccer show even if their favorite director ever is working on it.

That isn't to say there's anything wrong with looking at staff, but some people here seem to be absolutely baffled when someone places more importance on the content over the people working on it.

Why is it either or? I don't get why this argument is brought up, because it is a faulty argument. The claim here is that there are supposedly some people who put more importance into staff rather than content, and are only interested in shows because certain people are working on them even though they don't care for the actual subject matter. But these people simply do not exist. It is a straw man argument.

There are no such people who actually go "WOW JAKAMORI SHOOTO IS DIRECTING A TALKING ICE CREAM SHOW! FUCK YEAH! I HATE ICE CREAM AND I HATE TALKING FOOD PRODUCTS, BUT GODDAMN THIS WILL BE THE BEST THING EVER FUCK YEAH!!!!!" in AnimeGAF. Trying to create the impression that there are would be deceptive. Instead what the majority of people do is simply to look forward to shows which interest them. There can be multiple reasons why someone is interested in an upcoming show.

Staff would be a factor for people who value individual creativity and want to see what someone who has done something they like do next, subject matter is always extremely important because no one wants to watch something they're not interested in to begin with. There are also factors like being attracted by the artwork, or being impressed by a trailer. Lots of reasons and they're all valid. Entertainment is about what interests you. There are no "rules" about why you should like something more or less.

The best case scenarios are always when good staff who have shown that they are very experienced at producing a certain type of content tackle that subject matter again, and for someone who is a fan of both of staff members and that subject matter, it would be very, very exciting.

I'm not sure why you would try to spin it any other way.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Many people understandably don't like Idolm@ster. It is a very uneven show from episode to episode.

I enjoyed it all the way through. :(

Even the melodrama at the end!

Hibiki got fucking cheated on her episode, though.

Influenced by completely missing the point on stuff like the exclusion of pandora boxes and turning the cloths into leotards.

You'd have to be extremely naive to think Toei was copying the old SS, not renewing it.

How did they "miss the point", exactly? Who's to say they won't do something different, that could turn out better than the items from the old series did?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

He definitely plays a great part in the production of the show, obviously, but I still wouldn't say his experience affects all the aspects of the show. He has no influence over the plot or the pacing, for example, and those are just as important as the coreography of the fighting scenes.

Of course, even with that in mind, it's still understandable that Umakoshi's involvement would get people hyped for the series. But darkside's original point was that some "people in here were acting like Saint Seiya Omega couldn't be anything but amazing," and I do agree with him. Sometimes the staff hype gets out of hand. In this case, even if the director was someone incredible and not Morio, there was no guarantee that the show would actually be good.

People are free to be hyped for whatever reasons they feel like, sure. I like to keep my expectations in check, though.

Wait, Brazil is actually from Brazil?!

The more you know.

Why is it either or? I don't get why this argument is brought up, because it is a faulty argument. The claim here is that there are supposedly some people who put more importance into staff rather than content, and are only interested in shows because certain people are working on them even though they don't care for the actual subject matter. But these people simply do not exist. It is a straw man argument.

There are no such people who actually go "WOW JAKAMORI SHOOTO IS DIRECTING A TALKING ICE CREAM SHOW! FUCK YEAH! I HATE ICE CREAM AND I HATE TALKING FOOD PRODUCTS, BUT GODDAMN THIS WILL BE THE BEST THING EVER FUCK YEAH!!!!!" in AnimeGAF. Trying to create the impression that there are would be deceptive. Instead what the majority of people do is simply to look forward to shows which interest them. There can be multiple reasons why someone is interested in an upcoming show.

The hype surrounding Hosoda's new work and the positive reception of something like Sankarea among posters that had previously displayed disgust at the concept tell me otherwise.

Besides, there are people here who have flat out said subject matter isn't important. PIzzaroll, Lafiel, probably a few others I'm forgetting.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I wanted to like Idolmaster, but the drama was dull and the chemistry between the character near non-existent. K-ON did a much better job at the whole girls being girls thing.
I disagree. I mean, it's not excellent/good as K-ON in that department, but I feel it was done pretty well and is by no means bad.

DiGiKerot

I was going to say, as much as I love iM@S, that episode is pretty much indefensible. I keep meaning to go back an check to see if they've done any animation corrections for the BD version of that episode, but it's not like fixing some off-model artwork would even put a dent in that episodes problems.

I need this in my life.

You'd have to be extremely naive to think Toei was copying the old SS, not renewing it.

How did they "miss the point", exactly? Who's to say they won't do something different, that could turn out better than the items from the old series did?

There is no "better" here because anything significant they could do would go in a completely different direction than the original series. The loss of the pandora boxes undermines a lot of themes in the franchise, so if they go in the same direction, it would feel comparatively cheap, and if they go in a different direction, well it'll be a different direction.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

Even as someone who liked the show I find it hard to believe people really liked all of it. Unless they skipped episodes or something. Episode three exists!
K-ON did a much better job at the whole girls being girls thing.
They are extremely different shows to me. K-on is about the characters and im@s is more focused on the subject matter of being an idol and how that effects the characters.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Guys, we'll soon be halfway through OT2.

And the season is only reaching the 1/3 third.

OT3 this time for sure!

The hype surrounding Hosoda's new work and the positive reception of something like Sankarea among posters that had previously displayed disgust at the concept tell me otherwise.

I would assume that most people interested in Hosoda's new movie are interested in seeing him tackle an intimate family drama, given that he has shown himself in the past to be very good at portraying human relationships in a meaningful and emotionally involving manner.

And as far as Sankarea goes, certainly there wasn't any staff hype attached to that project. Who had heard of Shinichi Omata/Mamoru Hatakeyama before now? I only became interested in the show after hearing about the quality of its first episode from a trusted person and seeing surprisingly attractive art, and tuned in to find that the concept was executed in a strong manner that I could get behind, at least for the first three episodes.

They are extremely different shows to me. K-on is about the characters and im@s is more focused on the subject matter of being an idol and how that effects the characters.

I can't care about how being an idol impacts the characters unless I care about the characters.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Even as someone who liked the show I find it hard to believe people really liked all of it. Unless they skipped episodes or something. Episode three exists!

I didn't say I liked every episode, but I did enjoy the series all the way through, the poorer episodes generally were bookended by stronger ones, so that certainly helped.

There is no "better" here because anything significant they could do would go in a completely different direction than the original series. The loss of the pandora boxes undermines a lot of themes in the franchise, so if they go in the same direction, it would feel comparatively cheap, and if they go in a different direction, well it'll be a different direction.

Cosmic, that's a bit of an unfair argument to say 2 shows can't be compared because they aren't exactly the same.

Dresden

Idolmaster was good from episodes 5~9 (i didn't find ep4 that interesting, despite the hype that was building up going into it due to who was working on it) . . . lost interest after that, though.

Coming back for the end was worth it for Haruka's rapid descent into madness.

DiGiKerot

Idolmaster was good from episodes 5~9 (i didn't find ep4 that interesting, despite the hype that was building up going into it due to who was working on it) . . . lost interest after that, though.

You didn't watch the Namassuka episode?

You should go back and watch the Namassuka episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom