• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

That comparison is really frightening me right now, with the current world situation... at least the two old men of the studio have their reputation, but... what will happen with the new generation without the name of those two attached to everything? Scaling back the type of productions they make after the more immediate following projects seems reasonable enough... that or disbanding the studio.

They could always just peddle merchandise and reap the benefits of an extensive catalogue after Miyazaki and Takahata are gone. Become a company dedicated to the memory of good projects, rather than the production of them.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Never! I stand fast and firm to the forgotten principles of properly judging a work based on its merits, instead of simply slobbering over the staff who made it!

Because that is the only possible reason someone could pretend to like MPD!

I'm honestly not sure if you're trolling or serious at this point, but I'll bite. In what universe have you ever seen anyone in this thread express like for a work because of the staff associated with it as opposed to liking a work because the work is good? Staff are simply valued as a factor in determining why particular works are good, largely because anime do not poof out of thin air and actual people making actual decisions result in the end product that we consume. Pretending that staff don't have an influence on the quality of an anime is willful contrarianism and acting as if people who have a preference for particular directorial styles somehow stop judging works by their own merits is really disingenuous. What reason other than having a track record of quality would anyone even have for taking interest in staff in the first place? I'm not the biggest staff enthusiast here, but I understand why some of us here care about it. If you hate Ikuhara, fine, but don't accuse people who like him of not having valid reasons for doing so and being shallow pretentious sycophants or whatever you're implying.

Oh, and MPD was the first Ikuhara work I ever watched; I didn't even know who he was until after I finished the series. I suppose that means that I just have bad taste.

Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi 05
wMsGR.jpg
This episode was brought to you by boobs, and more boobs and the protection of said boobs.
I think it was supposed to be about the story of Momotaro but that was pretty lost in all those boobs bouncing around. I am liking that something is brewing up, whenever that starts is another question.

I'm honestly not sure if you're trolling or serious at this point, but I'll bite. In what universe have you ever seen anyone in this thread express like for a work because of the staff associated with it as opposed to liking a work because the work is good? Staff are simply valued as a factor in determining why particular works are good. Pretending that staff don't have an influence on the quality of an anime is willful contrarianism and acting as if people who have a preference for particular directorial styles somehow stop judging works by their own merits is really disingenuous.
Woah english is not my first language and i had to wonder for 30 seconds to be sure i got it ...
Even if i don't want to , i find new words to learn everyday ... both in anime and on GAF

/XX/

They could always just peddle merchandise and reap the benefits of an extensive catalogue after Miyazaki and Takahata are gone. Become a company dedicated to the memory of good projects, rather than the production of them.
Yeah, and now that you mention it... didn't someone from the studio say a time ago that precisely could be the future of the studio? Solely managing the rights from past productions and all that? I think that could be one of the closest options to be realized if they are afraid of something tarnishing their image.

Ryuukan

Woah english is not my first language and i had to wonder for 30 seconds to be sure i got it ...
Even if i don't want to , i find new words to learn everyday ... both in anime and on GAF

What else would you expect from a place where we discuss the pulchritude of waifus with such superlative prolixity.

Soma

It's a pretty handy word to remember especially on message boards.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I'm honestly not sure if you're trolling or serious at this point, but I'll bite. In what universe have you ever seen anyone in this thread express like for a work because of the staff associated with it as opposed to liking a work because the work is good? Staff are simply valued as a factor in determining why particular works are good, largely because anime do not poof out of thin air and actual people making actual decisions result in the end product that we consume. Pretending that staff don't have an influence on the quality of an anime is willful contrarianism and acting as if people who have a preference for particular directorial styles somehow stop judging works by their own merits is really disingenuous. What reason other than having a track record of quality would anyone even have for taking interest in staff in the first place? I'm not the biggest staff enthusiast here, but I understand why some of us here care about it. If you hate Ikuhara, fine, but don't accuse people who like him of not having valid reasons for doing so and being shallow pretentious sycophants or whatever you're implying.

Oh, and MPD was the first Ikuhara work I ever watched; I didn't even know who he was until after I finished the series. I suppose that means that I just have bad taste.

I was alluding to the fact that much of the hype for MPD was based around Ikuhara directing

And then for many, it was rather disappointing

And I thought that second line would make it clear I wasn't serious

:(

You've scared me now. :(

Yeah, the sash (obi).

The illustration actually looks like this:
51AvgBYR2zL.jpg

friend zones shouldn't be on covers. That's like false advertising!

Fairy Tail 67

I'm glad I picked this up again. They really turned the climax of a rather mediocre arc into something special. I think the music plays a big part in that. Seriously, I can't rave about this soundtrack enough. It's so good.

The celtic rock or w/e is highly addicting. I really do wish the show would get a bit more budget.

That would be a tragedy, but Miyazaki can be blamed for not doing enough to raise up a new generation of talent from within the studio.

duckroll

That would be a tragedy, but Miyazaki can be blamed for not doing enough to raise up a new generation of talent from within the studio.

I don't really see why it would be a tragedy. What exactly would we be missing out on? Judging from the non-Miyazaki/Takahata output from Ghibli... we're not really missing anything.

Ryuukan

You just impregnated Envelope with this post.

I was alluding to the fact that much of the hype for MPD was based around Ikuhara directing

Well, shows from big name creators will be more hyped than those from unknown creators (unless there's some other reason to be hyped like being based on an award winning manga or something). Especially when that director hasn't worked on anything in 12 years.

There are some people who found the show disappointing, but I hardly think saying it was disappointing for 'many' is an accurate statement. It seems to me more like a select few who found the show disappointing.

I don't really see why it would be a tragedy. What exactly would we be missing out on? Judging from the non-Miyazaki/Takahata output from Ghibli... we're not really missing anything.

Whisper of the Heart was fantastic. ;(

Really, what I'm saying is that it's unfortunate that a new generation of directors who could carry on the Ghibli tradition has not arisen. It would have been nice if the reputation of that name could extend beyond Hayao Miyazaki.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I only take issue with people who seem to consider relatively minor staff positions to the exclusion of everything else and then declare it to be a universal method of show appreciation.

Otherwise, the guys who call the shots influence the product, and the way they call those shots can be something people tend to like or dislike. Of course, sometimes they fall short of expectation(Ikuhara), start binge drinking(Taniguchi), or simply go senile(Miyazaki), but attributing a certain level of quality to people isn't inappropriate.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Well, shows from big name creators will be more hyped than those from unknown creators (unless there's some other reason to be hyped like being based on an award winning manga or something). Especially when that director hasn't worked on anything in 12 years.

There are some people who found the show disappointing, but I hardly think saying it was disappointing for 'many' is an accurate statement. It seems to me more like a select few who found the show disappointing.

I disagree with this. The show was not memorable at all. It's already being forgotten, Utena is a show people still remember and talk about to this day. Penguindrum will never be that kind of show.

I'll say that people hype shows way too much because of the staff that is involved. Every season there is some show people will wet their pants over because of the people involved and it will inevitably disappoint. I remember how people in here were acting like Saint Seiya Omega couldn't be anything but amazing.

Given that Miyazaki is apparently a terrible father, I'm not surprised he's also terrible at training new generations of directors. He even failed Goro in both of those departments.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

You should take it as a compliment that I take everything you say seriously. We bonded through Yami, we bonded through Garzey's Wing, we're solid bros now. We don't keep secrets from each other. And we don't make joke posts that are indiscernible from our usual posting style :(

I'm sorry. Let's start thinking of a name for the baby. I like Yayoi Nao Envelope Madpierrot if it's a girl.

duckroll

Whisper of the Heart was fantastic. ;(

Yeah well we all know what happened there! :(

Really, what I'm saying is that it's unfortunate that a new generation of directors who could carry on the Ghibli tradition has not arisen. It would have been nice if the reputation of that name could extend beyond Hayao Miyazaki.

Well, I just question if there is really much tradition in Ghibli itself if this is the case. If it's just the Miyazaki and Takahata show, that really isn't much of a tradition.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'll say that people hype shows way too much because of the staff is involved. Every season there is some show people will wet their pants over because of the people involved and it will inevitably disappoint. I remember how people in here were acting like Saint Seiya Omega couldn't be anything but amazing.
But there are also shows that get hyped that meet and exceed expectations, like iDOLM@STER.

I disagree with this. The show was not memorable at all. It's already being forgotten, Utena is a show people still remember and talk about to this day. Penguindrum will never be that kind of show.

Not memorable? There are plenty of criticisms I could see laying against Penguindrum, but not being memorable is probably the last thing that would ever jump to mind. The show is a completely unique viewing experience. Whether the sum total of that experience worked for any individual person is up to them, but is certainly not an easily forgotten ride.

Personally, I consider Penguindrum to be one of my favorite anime. I don't think it's perfect, but the show is such a unique experience from start to finish that was really breathtaking to behold.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
You just impregnated Envelope with this post.

Krd11.jpg

I hate you.

You're just being tsun. :3

You should take it as a compliment that I take everything you say seriously. We bonded through Yami, we bonded through Garzey's Wing, we're solid bros now. We don't keep secrets from each other. And we don't make joke posts that are indiscernible from our usual posting style :(

I'm sorry. Let's start thinking of a name for the baby. I like Yayoi Nao Envelope Madpierrot if it's a girl.

It's a bit long, but it might work.

...But don't you think Quile sounds better? ;)

/XX/

Yep. My vocabulary isn't very extensive and I usually end up utilizing words from Spanish that are grammatically similar, thing that could lead to a mistake (false friends), but for sure that I'm learning here things by association, like that word Mad Pierrot posted.

Guys, use varied words and expressions so I can learn even more!

I'll say that people hype shows way too much because of the staff that is involved. Every season there is some show people will wet their pants over because of the people involved and it will inevitably disappoint. I remember how people in here were acting like Saint Seiya Omega couldn't be anything but amazing.
I somewhat agree, but that example... I think it is early to judge something like the long Saint Seiya Ω series, and it is certainly delivering or already delivered something that was expected from the staff involved; the type of character designs and a useful approach to them with the animation and direction.

Ryuukan

I actually bought a ticket to Apollon on the duckroll express (Business Class, Seat 1A) because of the staff involved and it's been the best ride I've had in awhile.

Jex

That comparison is really frightening me right now, with the current world situation... at least the two old men of the studio have their reputation, but... what will happen with the new generation without the name of those two attached to everything? Scaling back the type of productions they make after the more immediate following projects seems reasonable enough... that or disbanding the studio.
You think they could work on a less, er, untenable business model for the company. You know, male things that are slightly less consuming and expensive. There's nothing inherently sustainable about the Miyazaki/Takahata machine.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I don't necessarily consider pre-airing staff hype to be unwarranted. Before any show airs we really just have a premise, a couple of trailers, sometimes a manga/LN adaptation, and a list of staff to base expectations on, and ultimately it's probably more logical to state "this show will be good because the director worked on X, Y, and Z good shows" than "this show will be good because it has a cool premise"/"this show will be good because there were two minutes of good animation in the trailers" etc. Of course, one should avoid saying "will be good" when nothing is ever guaranteed, correlation =! causation, etc etc. but if you're going to try to predict a show's quality with limited information from which you can make a judgment, you can do worse than going by staff.

In the particular case of Saint Seiya Omega, I think that most of the hype came from the Umakoshi character designs, which everyone expected to compensate for the series otherwise being a bog-standard shounen. Some people are enjoying it, some aren't, so it's reasonable to say that some people who put their faith in the art still ended up being disappointed with the overall product. I'd include myself in that group.

Andrew J.

Ikuhara is known as one of anime's premier auteur directors. I am going to draw some analogies between his work and the work of one of gaming's premier auteur directors, Suda 51.

Revolutionary Girl Utena is Ikuhara's No More Heroes. Crazy swordfights punctuated by mindblowing moments that make you question everything you'd previously thought about the work. More or less comprehensible.

The Adolescence of Utena is Ikuhara's Killer7. A nonstop barrage of highly abstracted symbolism with a focus on otherworldly visual design. More or less incomprehensible.

tl;dr: You are now imagining Travis Touchdown dueling for the Rose Bride.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I don't necessarily consider pre-airing staff hype to be unwarranted. Before any show airs we really just have a premise, a couple of trailers, sometimes a manga/LN adaptation, and a list of staff to base expectations on, and ultimately it's probably more logical to state "this show will be good because the director worked on X, Y, and Z good shows" than "this show will be good because it has a cool premise"/"this show will be good because there were two minutes of good animation in the trailers" etc. Of course, one should avoid saying "will be good" when nothing is ever guaranteed, correlation =! causation, etc etc. but if you're going to try to predict a show's quality with limited information from which you can make a judgment, you can do worse than going by staff.

In the particular case of Saint Seiya Omega, I think that most of the hype came from the Umakoshi character designs, which everyone expected to compensate for the series otherwise being a bog-standard shounen. Some people are enjoying it, some aren't, so it's reasonable to say that some people who put their faith in the art still ended up being disappointed with the overall product. I'd include myself in that group.

SSO is just precure for boys, so I went in expecting to have a slow start, I'm not disappointed in it at all.

Ikuhara is known as one of anime's premier auteur directors. I am going to draw some analogies between his work and the work of one of gaming's premier auteur directors, Suda 51.

Revolutionary Girl Utena is Ikuhara's No More Heroes. Crazy swordfights punctuated by mindblowing moments that make you question everything you'd previously thought about the work. More or less comprehensible.

The Adolescence of Utena is Ikuhara's Killer7. A nonstop barrage of highly abstracted symbolism with a focus on otherworldly visual design. More or less incomprehensible.

tl;dr: You are now imagining Travis Touchdown dueling for the Rose Bride.

Suda51 is a terrible director, though, unlike Ikuhara.

Dresden

It's no different from people looking forward to new movies/books/game/album/etc, lulz. You look at the author, the director, the band, whatever. Sometimes they don't meet expectations. Life goes on. But going into a show the biggest indication of quality is probably going to be just who's working on it.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It's no different from people looking forward to new movies/books/game/album/etc, lulz. You look at the author, the director, the band, whatever. Sometimes they don't meet expectations. Life goes on. But going into a show the biggest indication of quality is probably going to be just who's working on it.

Let's just drop this whole staff thing please. :(

duckroll

one of gaming's premier auteur directors, Suda 51.

I stopped reading right there. Suda51 is nothing more than a walking piece of garbage who happens to make games. How that piece of garbage gained sentience is a mystery the world's top scientists are still working on figuring out. It'll be tough but I think they'll still figure it out before he ever makes a single worthwhile piece of actual interactive entertainment.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's a bit long, but it might work.

...But don't you think Quile sounds better? ;)

I'd rather not assume that our child is going to have a short-term memory loss disorder :(

What if it's a boy? How about Chris Garzey Gabujuju Shishimaru Envelope Madpierrot?

Certainly there is never any iron-clad guarantee that an upcoming work will be good, whether it is from your favorite director, a sequel to your favorite show, or an adaptation of your favorite manga. But unless you're going to watch everything indiscriminately, you do have to make some prior judgments as to what is more likely to be good, and knowing that a key person working on a show has a good track record and has shown talents suited to the material he's working with is as a good a reason for judgment as any.

Well, I just question if there is really much tradition in Ghibli itself if this is the case. If it's just the Miyazaki and Takahata show, that really isn't much of a tradition.

There isn't much of a tradition, but there should be. Despite their relatively lackluster recent output, the Ghibli name still carries a great deal of cachet worldwide. If Miyazaki had handled the studio in a different manner, it could have become a great place for young, fresh talent to show their skills and be recognized for them. As it is, if Ghibli passes away with Hayao it'll only lead to Japanese animation becoming increasingly less visible internationally.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

I think expecting a show to be good because the director has experience with other respected works is one thing, and expecting a show to be good because the character designer has a fan-favorite style is another. The first sounds way more reasonable.

But, yeah, I understand where you're coming from.

duckroll

I think expecting a show to be good because the director has experience with other respected works is one thing, and expecting a show to be good because the character designer has a fan-favorite style is another. The first sounds way more reasonable.

But did anyone expect the show to be good because of the character designer? Or did they expect the show to at the very least have an interesting art style unique from previous iterations of the franchise?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I stopped reading right there. Suda51 is nothing more than a walking piece of garbage who happens to make games. How that piece of garbage gained sentience is a mystery the world's top scientists are still working on figuring out. It'll be tough but I think they'll still figure it out before he ever makes a single worthwhile piece of actual interactive entertainment.

But his games are supposed to be a chore to play! He's just too deep for you!

Personally, I was just expecting Saint Seiya Omega to have a great visual style and action animation, and hoping that the story and characters wouldn't be dumb enough to detract from that. The jury's still out on whether it'll live up to those hopes in the end.

Jex

Clearly Sankarea is proof that we need to strip long time directors of their roles and fill the positions with the directors of hentai OVAs.

But didn't we already know this?

Cream Lemon: Pop Chaser (1985) - hentai OVA

Staff involved:

Hiroyuki Kitakubo - Director of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Roujin Z, Blood: The Last Vampire

Hideaki Anno - Director of Neon Genesis Evangelion, Gunbuster, Nadia etc

Mahiro Maeda - Director of Gankutsuou

Katsuhiko Nishijima - Director of Project A-Ko, Agent Aika, Najica Blitz Tactics

Takeshi Mori - Director of Gunsmith Cats, Otaku no Video, The Skull Man

Toshiyuki Inoue - This fucking dude

Takeshi Honda - Animator extraordinaire.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
But did anyone expect the show to be good because of the character designer? Or did they expect the show to at the very least have an interesting art style unique from previous iterations of the franchise?

Don't forget that Umakoshi is also the animation director!

Yup, art style and Umakoshi as an animation director are the biggest reasons I was interested in SSO (plus the fact it's Precure for boys), so I haven't been disappointed.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Oh, I can't say for sure on behalf of the rest of AnimeGAF, but considering the hype here (and by "here" I mean in Brazil), I'd say at least a few were expecting the show to be enjoyable simply because of Umakoshi's influence, like his designs' quality would jump over to the other aspects of the show through osmosis or something like that.

Certainly there is never any iron-clad guarantee that an upcoming work will be good, whether it is from your favorite director, a sequel to your favorite show, or an adaptation of your favorite manga. But unless you're going to watch everything indiscriminately, you do have to make some prior judgments as to what is more likely to be good, and knowing that a key person working on a show has a good track record and has shown talents suited to the material he's working with is as a good a reason for judgment as any.

Why can't people look at the subject matter over the people involved?

As much as we all wish to be well-rounded individuals that can look at any premise objectively, we each have different tastes. If someone says they absolutely hate cleats kicking up astroturf, I'm not going to recommend them a soccer show even if their favorite director ever is working on it.

That isn't to say there's anything wrong with looking at staff, but some people here seem to be absolutely baffled when someone places more importance on the content over the people working on it.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
But didn't we already know this?

Cream Lemon: Pop Chaser (1885)

Staff involved:

Hiroyuki Kitakubo - Director of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Roujin Z, Blood: The Last Vampire

Hideaki Anno - Director of Neon Genesis Evangelion, Gunbuster, Nadia

Mahiro Maeda - Director of Gankutsuou

Katsuhiko Nishijima - Director of Project A-Ko, Agent Aika, Najica Blitz Tactics

Takeshi Mori - Director of Gunsmith Cats, Otaku no Video, The Skull Man

Toshiyuki Inoue - This fucking dude

Takeshi Honda - Animator extraordinaire.

Interestingly enough, I found out just today that Kotono Mitsuishi (Usagi Tsukino, Misato Katsuragi, etc) voiced a character from one of the Cream Lemon episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom