• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

They seem popular enough to keep making them at least. The even do stage plays based on games.

Well, it certainly seems to happen with surprisingly.
The one part of the industry I can give a vaguely professional answer on!

I expect the audience for anime theatre, based on the main audience for (musical) theatre in Japan, are young adult women who see the shows multiple times (particularly if they have rotating casts). The shounen musicals (TeniMyu, Rock Musical Bleach etc.) are aimed at fangirls; SeraMyu, Utena etc. were performed with all-female casts in the Takarazuka style which has traditionally always skewed to a female audience, etc.

I'm mildly surprised to see Working being made into a stage play (Phoenix Wright surprised me less given the Phoenix/Miles fandom). I'm guessing that the audience is larger than I would have thought - does Working have much crossover appeal? I generally dislike all shounen/seinen comedy so I never watched it.

Fun anime theatre fact of the thread - Oh! Edo Rocket was originally a stageplay!
Interesting. Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this topic.
To be honest, the Geass show surprised me. I know other anime adaptations have previously cut the female characters out completely (this is what they do for the Prince of Tennis shows, for instance) but I can't think of anything that's cast men as female characters before.

I think there's a couple of reasons why all-female casts are popular, particularly with shows based on anime:

i) For something like Sailor Moon or Utena, where the target audience is pre-teen to early-teen girls, they don't care about boys in the same way.

ii) The Takarazuka (who do many of these adaptations - they did the Phoenix Wright show in 2009, and have previously done Black Jack and Rose of Versailles) are all about heightened fantasy and emotion - like shoujo manga, really. Reality is discarded entirely and the lush sets and over-the-top performances heighten the overall experience. The actresses are trained specifically for "male" and "female" roles and there's a big female fandom surrounding them as people and performers. I think all of this contributes to something which is much more popular with women than with men - and it just so happens that they are the ones doing stage adaptations of melodramatic anime/manga/games!

So I guess it's partly about what the audience is looking for and partly where the talent actually lies (and who's willing to stage these shows).

Of course there are anime adaptations with mixed gender casts - Bleach and Ao no Exorcist, for instance. But many of them go with all-female casts purely because they're done by the Takarazuka!

(this is OT, but the Takarazuka are owned by TOHO, who also have their own "normal" theatre production arm that stages shows with mixed gender casts. The companies have been known to stage the same shows as each other in radically different versions because the Takarazuka's audience are looking for a "hyper-real" experience - they cut plays and musicals to remove all political storylines etc. because they have no place in the "world" of the Takarazuka.)
I feel like I already know something about the Takarazuka based on reading Helen McCarthy's works on Miyazaki. Or was it Tezuka? I forget. I need to consult my text books.

Ano Natsu bros!

anonatsu2.png
I can't shake the feeling that something is not right about her body.

Jex

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/Charc/Gifs/Hilarious.gif/IMG][/QUOTE]

C'mon now, haven't you heard of a little restraint?
[quote="duckroll, post: 37491262"]Is it a cultural thing? I'm actually pretty curious about this, especially since you have an actual Korean perspective on it. When did you first hear about it? Do people generally believe it in and mention it in everyday conversations? ^^;[/QUOTE]

Why am I hearing about this for the first time now? I mean, beyond the fact that it's utterly ridiculous.

Jex

They have being upfront and repetitive about it lately, but that all-or-nothing sensation the words of Studio Ghibli's people give on interviews in regards to the Mr. Miyazaki & Mr. Takahata films is very unsettling and amazing at the same time, as if they are staking it all.

Ghibli seem to be very much like a games studio making a 'triple A' title - they really invest their all into their next project to the point where it has to be a success.

Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi 03
Yes, yes, hare vs. the tortoise.
So, forget about the main characters and lets focus on the other characters. I guess this show is just gonna run through a fairy tail per episode now. The story of the tortoise was good, the narrator wasn't in the way the whole time, so a decent episode.

Makoto

Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi 03

Yes, yes, hare vs. the tortoise.
So, forget about the main characters and lets focus on the other characters. I guess this show is just gonna run through a fairy tail per episode now. The story of the tortoise was good, the narrator wasn't in the way the whole time, so a decent episode.
I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case, but I'm no aficionado of fairy tales.

Fairy Tail 67

I'm glad I picked this up again. They really turned the climax of a rather mediocre arc into something special. I think the music plays a big part in that. Seriously, I can't rave about this soundtrack enough. It's so good.

Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi 04
I have no idea what fairy tale or story features everyone as maids.
Next character of the week episode! It was a good episode expect probably the character's problem of the week. I mean returning favors is understandable but I don't really see a point where she gets that the favor has been returned unless the other person actually has to say it.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
AVATAR REVOKED. Give it back, switch to Medaka so everyone can be reminded of your true colors again.

Never! I stand fast and firm to the forgotten principles of properly judging a work based on its merits, instead of simply slobbering over the staff who made it!

Because that is the only possible reason someone could pretend to like MPD!

Cwarrior

Fairy Tail 67

I'm glad I picked this up again. They really turned the climax of a rather mediocre arc into something special. I think the music plays a big part in that. Seriously, I can't rave about this soundtrack enough. It's so good.

at what point do they stop using magic circles? one the main reason i couldn't be bothered to watch the anime

Jex

I think the whole 'people like shows for staff' argument has failed again this season with KyoAni's major new show being labelled as boring and dull by some. People like things because they enjoy them.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I think the whole 'people like shows for staff' argument has failed again this season with KyoAni's major new show being labelled as boring and dull by some. People like things because they enjoy them.

But no one cares about the Kyoani staff!

The argument has failed even more powerfully by people criticizing the failings of the new Lupin, despite all the big names attached to it.

I don't think there's a single person in here who's been shown to slavishly love every single work of a renowned creator without regard for whatever flaws might be contained within.

Jex

[Gintama] - 215

A one-off episode that focuses on moving the over arching plot forward which doesn't feature any of the main characters? I suppose it is intriguing to have a whole episode devoted to the 'baddies' of the Gintama universe, even if the actual animation was lacking in certain areas. I certainly enjoyed it because it's gives the viewer a rare opportunity to to focus solely on characters who largely stay in the shadows for most the series.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The argument has failed even more powerfully by people criticizing the failings of the new Lupin, despite all the big names attached to it.
Clearly Sankarea is proof that we need to strip long time directors of their roles and fill the positions with the directors of hentai OVAs.

Jex

I don't think there's a single person in here who's been shown to slavishly love every single work of a renowned creator without regard for whatever flaws might be contained within.

We certainly lack avid 'fanboys' in this thread. Perhaps that just because this thread fails to attract that kind of poster?

/XX/

Ghibli seem to be very much like a games studio making a 'triple A' title - they really invest their all into their next project to the point where it has to be a success.
That comparison is really frightening me right now, with the current world situation... at least the two old men of the studio have their reputation, but... what will happen with the new generation without the name of those two attached to everything? Scaling back the type of productions they make after the more immediate following projects seems reasonable enough... that or disbanding the studio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom