• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Upotte 05:

Well this getting pretty mundane. I'll just watch something...

...else...

... ((((;゚Д゚)))))))

Brotherhood's inferiority to the original series is painfully clear during the early episodes, unfortunately. At least when it goes off and does its own thing you don't have to draw as many comparisons.

Yeah, I never made it past the early episodes for that reason. It was just such an inferior version of things I had already seen before. It was really frustrating to watch.

So the earth collapsed in on itself when the first series ended?

Well, the ending was good, but then Shambala came along with a horrible ending.

FMA original ending was pretty bad. At least Shambala gave it some closure.

This is the opposite of truth.

I still haven't watched Conqueror of Shamballa. The word of mouth makes me rather hesitant, since I liked the ending of the first series.

95% of Conqueror of Shambala is great. It just so happens that the bad part is the ending. I do think it's a movie worth watching, but the ending is a big letdown, and feels very against the spirit of the series.

Soma

Sora No Woto 1-6

ADoBL.jpg

Being at the half-way point at the moment, I'm kind of unsure how to feel about the show so far. There's quite a few things I like about it but so far I just haven't really felt engaged in the story or in any of the characters besides possibly Rio.

Maybe because it's because it's a different tone than what I was expecting or maybe it's the lack of an ongoing plot with the episodic nature but I've found it slightly... dull so far. There's a lot of heartfelt moments such as
Mishio asking Yumina to braid her hair
and
Rio taking care of Kanata while she was ill
but there were also a few silly moments like
at the end of Episode 4, Kanata magically doesn't suck at playing the bugle anymore after a couple words of advice?
. Uh huhhhhh. Overall, I find the tone very peaceful and relaxing. The setting gives me a bit of a Valkyria Chronicles vibe which I kinda like given the actual setting of this story.

The art direction is really nice. Very beautiful backgrounds and scenery and the classical music soundtrack fits the show like a glove.

So at the moment, I'm enjoying it for what it is, but I don't love it. The last episode was pretty fun and very different, directional-wise. They seem to touch on a few themes regarding war which I imagine will be examined a bit more closely later on. I guess I'll see where the next half of this show heads.

Sora No Woto 1-6
I think I felt the same way at that point in the show. I mean, I really enjoyed the charming characters and was curiously awaiting for the setting to gradually reveal its history, but there wasn't a sense of conflict or anything. I don't want to spoil anything or even really comment on the latter half of the show other than it definitely did things that, in retrospect, made all of the episodes sort of gel together and allow me appreciate it as a whole. I wish I could go back and experience the show for the first time again. My experience was sort of marred by Crunchyroll's early streaming build that kept cutting out on me.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Ojamajo Doremi 04:

Best character.

For me, watching this show must feel like what it does for cajun when he watches, well, anything. The amount of cute is staggering. This is a purifying show.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
why not eat apples and turn into a wolf goddess instead?

If I'm going to be a hot anime girl either way, I'd be crazy not to choose pizza. C.C. has perfect metabolism anyway and what's available at Japanese Pizza Huts make the rest of the world's selection look like shit.

And tails are inconvenient.

Fairy Tail 129

Is... is that the prince from Gintama? That's a really friggin weird cameo.

I'm kind of surprised at the focus of this filler arc. It seems to have a lot to do with Lucy's father. That's not really something I'd expect out of a non-canon arc. I wonder if these are like unused stories from Mashima or something. I mean I'm sure the guy is at least partially involved with the anime, especially with the movie coming up.

Anyway, all caught up now. Despite its problems, Fairy Tail is fun as hell to marathon. I haven't done one of those in a while. 60ish episodes in like a week is still a pretty big downgrade from what I used to be able to do, but ah well.

Damn, this brings my current show following count to 22 shows. Yeah, 2 are 1-3 minutes, but still. That means I'm spending nearly 7 hours on anime a week on ongoing shows alone. Maybe I should forget about getting caught up with Shippuden. I'm having a lot more fun with Fairy Tail anyway.

Branduil

If I'm going to be a hot anime girl either way, I'd be crazy not to choose pizza. C.C. has perfect metabolism anyway and what's available at Japanese Pizza Huts make the rest of the world's selection look like shit.

And tails are inconvenient.

I think I'd have to choose Horo. Manipulating the economy is a much less dangerous line of work than what C.C. does.

I can't even talk about the other Sunrise show which pulls the exact same plot device out of thin air for equally stupid reasons. I think it's a staple of their 'writing has gone to shit' attitude!
That's not fair, you can't say that then not name the show. I must know!
So I can avoid it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Isn't wistfulness the whole other half of this show beyond boys just doing stuff? And I don't feel like slowness can be attributed to shows like these where there is no destination to head off to anyway. If I'm going nowhere I might as well be slow about it.
-----

There was a lot of good cat eyecatches between these two episodes. Even a cat exposure shot!
Well, I'm not really sure how they're handling the relationship stuff now, since it's mostly been about the guys hanging out. I mean, Kaname has a triangle that was hinted at in S1 but has totally disappeared in S2 and the Shun/Mary triangle thing has mostly been an after thought, outside of that present episode.

Speaking of the cats, I think this was the first time that a "girl" was represented by a cat in the series. I could be wrong, but it was very prominent in this episode.

Sora No Woto 1

So basically, everyone who hasn't watched this should. ^^

Wow, nakama. :p
Given that a YKK anime is never going to happen, this is as close to an Aria sequel as I've seen, so the series holds a special place in my pantheon - even if the "
pee
" episode is very much a distraction. Episode 7.5 is sort of unnecessary as well, but full of
yuri
content. Still, the highs are very high... I probably should rewatch it sometime, along with Aria.

Akibaranger 5

This ep was pretty damn :firehawk ;_;

Intriguing!

Saint Seiya Omega 6

This is one of the most underwhelming tournament arcs I have ever seen. Nearly all the fights get skipped and the one we do see has little variety and is won through one of the biggest shounen cliches out there. Going from Fairy Tail with its high battle variety and creative (albiet asspullish) ways of winning to this is quite jarring.

Go_Ly_Dow

WHAT THE FUCK HAVE I DONE

Xjfmr.jpg

IT WASN'T MY INTENTION TO RUIN SOMEONE'S LIFE WITH GARZEY'S WING. I JUST WANTED TO BRING JOY AND LAUGHTER.

I NEVER ASKED FOR THIS!!!

Branduil

It occurred to me that a lot of you guys weren't around when I watched Infinite Ryvius, so I'm going to recommend that now. It has all of the things that animeGAF loves:

Childhood friends

Self-inserts

Cute animals

Obsolete video games

Pedophilia

Toilet stalls

Women from Uranus

Manly tears

Nudity IN SPACE

Men of true principle

Insane women

Sexism

Bros being bros

Hand-animated space battles

NTR

Girls in ridiculous outfits

The adventures of post-GL Simon and his weird desire to cosplay as Buzz Lightyear

A '90s street gang

Norio Wakamoto

And much, much more! A Sunrise anime from the '90s, when they used to be good. From the director of Code GeassPlanetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom