• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

Code Geass R2 20

kAv8L.jpg

It's always cool to walk slowly away from explosions.

Once the Geass pops, the fun won't stop.

Okay...apparently,
Also Ledouche's mother, Marianne, is someone else contracted with C.C.?!

Making mother, father and son Geass freaks?!

Man, more twists than a Twizzler.

And thank heavens, the real
C.C.
is back! Your absence was of a bittersweet taste.

Master Keaton 36-end

Well that was a rather uneventful "finale". Even calling it that is pretty generous. There really wasn't anything that felt "endgame" about these last 2 episodes outside that final remark from Wolf where
Keaton can never be a professor, only a master.
It wasn't really even a higher scale assignment than he's used to.

Well anyway, the show was pretty eh. The suspenseful mindfuckery that I've come to expect from Urasawa's work was nowhere to be found. Instead, I got a subdued episodic series of low key investigations and occasionally some unsatisfying character development.

Now not everything has to be some crazy Kaiji style series where the mundane becomes exciting, but even in the context of this show, I wasn't particularly engaged. Most assignments had a rather boring setup and by the time it got interesting, it was already over. Even in the rare case when I did find the setup thought-provoking (mainly the
babysitter daughter
case), there wasn't enough closure for it to really have a lasting effect. Maybe I'm just biased against episodic stuff, but I just can't work up the energy to care a bunch of self-contained stories when I know Keaton will be off on another self-contained adventure next week.

The only real positive thing I have to say about the series is the criminally underused Daniel. The guy was awesome.

So yeah, pretty much everything from the concept to the presentation was underwhelming. Had this been a Japanese MacGyver like the first episode kind of lead me to believe, I might have been more receptive, but as it stands, I got nothing. Even with the adrenaline of jogging while watching it, I still found myself zoning out a lot. Was just really mind-numbingly boring.

And with that, I have completed both contracts. Hosanna and Envelope, both of you guys need to pick up the pace!

Disappointing, but I suppose I should have expected that. My only consolation is that I'm also disliking what you asked me to watch. Which I should be free to follow up on in the next couple days.

Articalys

This is pretty cool -- Hyouka is still gaining in weekly sales after jumping back onto the charts a month ago, and it looks like the rest of the series is getting a boost as well:

Weekly Light Novel Rankings for April 30 - May 6 said:
*1, 21,758 *28,643 Medaka Box vol.1
*2, 20,290 121,647 Kotenbu series vol.1 Hyouka
*3, 17,759 *47,126 Touhou Symposium of Post-mysticism
*4, 16,620 208,499 Bokura ga Ita
*5, 15,527 *43,192 Himeiden
*6, 14,441 *60,376 Kotenbu series vol.2
*6, 13,988 738,215 Biblia Koshoten no Jikentecho vol.1
*7, 13,214 *21,275 Mismarka Kokoku Monogatari vol.10
*8, 12,170 514,732 Biblia Koshoten no Jikentecho vol.2
*9, 11,525 *52,723 Kotenbu series vol.3
10, 10,910 192,165 Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai vol.10
11, 10,733 *18,996 Maria-sama ga Miteru vol.39
12, 10,605 *17,217 Hayo no Tsurugi vol.6 Part 12
13, 10,573 *74,079 Kotenbu series vol.4
14, *9,844 *51,457 Mayo Chiki! vol.11

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sora No Woto 1

tPE7y.jpg

Just look at those K-on character designs

Military moe! And pretty background art! And offkey trumpet playing moe! What more could you want?
nqSWp.jpg

There was also actual vehicle animation! Fate/Zero who?

Well, there was actually quite a bit more than just that in this episode. The little flashbacks don't mean much right now, but as they get expanded upon in later episodes, it should hopefully give the MC some more depth as a character. The real focus of this episode was on the legends and traditions of the town where the MC has been stationed. A long time ago... blah blah blah. The usual sacrifice story stuff.

RlzPF.jpg

what made the legend interesting is that at least a very large part of it is real. usually in these cases, the folktales and whatnot have really simple causes, but that's not the case here.

The bell might be an interesting link between characters, even though the blonde from the flashbacks hasn't been introduced.

dCU6F.jpg

Just look at those rip off K-on character des- wait what?

So basically, everyone who hasn't watched this should. ^^

Joule

I'm surprised they left it all wistful and such. It's not like she's a teacher or anything! lol
Isn't wistfulness the whole other half of this show beyond boys just doing stuff? And I don't feel like slowness can be attributed to shows like these where there is no destination to head off to anyway. If I'm going nowhere I might as well be slow about it.
-----

Kimi to Boku 5: A bit late on this episode but it wasn't bad. I kind of enjoyed the college student biking around. It gave me them Honey & Clover vibes with Yamamoto. The guys going to hatsumode was alright. Between Shun's selfless wishes and Chizuru's lewd selfish ones there was some fun to be had. The whole of this ep's story was straightly played. The boys causing the problem, aids in solving it by being themselves (as annoying as that can be for others). College student's conflict with his girl friend was a little lame but it turned out okay. The thing I found the funniest about it though was the flash cards bro was studying:
sLLTc.jpg
MZBdO.jpg

Dat subtlety

Kimi to Boku 6: The cafeteria lunch lady returns. I'm enjoying these retreads to the first season's episode specific character stories. A nice sort of 2nd half conclusion to them. While I thought this was one of the weaker stories originally, it's grown on me with this return to it. The whole bread point stickers premise is kind of goofy but that's something that fits Yuki well. Yuta being the bro realizes the goings on between lunch lady and Yuki and pushes that forward. Shun adorably also picks up on it later and does his bit as well. The conclusion was pretty nice at the lightstop. Wistful hair touching firehawk goodness.

Looks like next time is another Mary and Chizuru centric episode. In a way I'd like to see a Shun episode that doesn't involve the triangle. I figure he could use some more wistfulness. Or just a Shun being adorable episode would be fine too.
G1v0J.jpg

Firehawk took the classy shot so I'm raise him with the :firehawk one

There was a lot of good cat eyecatches between these two episodes. Even a cat exposure shot!

cajunator

Banned
This is pretty cool -- Hyouka is still gaining in weekly sales after jumping back onto the charts a month ago, and it looks like the rest of the series is getting a boost as well:

If only anime sold that well...

Sora No Woto 1

Military moe! And pretty background art! And offkey trumpet playing moe! What more could you want?

Well, there was actually quite a bit more than just that in this episode. The little flashbacks don't mean much right now, but as they get expanded upon in later episodes, it should hopefully give the MC some more depth as a character. The real focus of this episode was on the legends and traditions of the town where the MC has been stationed. A long time ago... blah blah blah. The usual sacrifice story stuff.

The bell might be an interesting link between characters, even though the blonde from the flashbacks hasn't been introduced.

So basically, everyone who hasn't watched this should. ^^

Yes. Everyone should see this. And its definitely not a K-ON ripoff.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Code Geass R2 21

Bwahahahahaha. This is simply fantastic.

They sure went out of their way to fuck minds with this episode. The borderline nonsensical exchanges in the thought elevator thingy were amazing, hahaha.
Eat Geass, "god".

So many twists.
People in the anime industry seem pretty obsessed with this "one consciousness" thing, don't they? This was Charles' and Marianne's desire right from the start... Since everyone would be joined in the end, the fact that his children were slaughtering each other didn't matter to Charles at all. But so much for that plan.

Ledouche + Spinzaku. What a goddamn pair.
I don't know if there's something they can't accomplish together... But they sure can put on a show.

And now
Schneizel's
face being splattered all over the OP makes sense, since
he's apparently the last boss. We still have a long way to go, though. I mean, Nina's still alive. Things can't stay this way.

Ultimadrago

Code Geass R2 21

u21nv.jpg

Stuff's on the screen!

Philosophy! -
Mother and father reveal their devious plan of an ideal world!

*Random ooga booga on screen!*

Verbal Rebuttal! -
Son does not approve of this world for Nunally and his friends!

Action! -
He annihilates the presence of his mother and father.

Geass pacing!

And the end, the end.

Bahahahaa!

The feared/adored tag team of Ledouche and Spinzaku
has come to fruition.
May it be an entertaining endeavor.

Uchip

Banned
akibaranger is the type of show that I would never try to explain to people
and just let them bask in their confusion as to what was being referenced

wsippel

Banned
Jormungand 5

Koko is a snake
(Jormungand)
. Kasper is a wolf
(Fenrir)
. The rocket launch in the first scene of the first episode
(Jormungand poisoning the sky during Ragnarök)
. Almost a bit too obvious...

Ao no Exorcist: Tokubetsu Bangai Hen Kuro No Iede
The cat craves your attention and food.
So, I didn't even realized this existed till now, but it is an enjoyable OAV. There's no fighting or pretty any thing else besides following the cute cat around on its day of meeting up with everyone that has ever appeared in the series. It's cute, pretty heartwarming at the end and wasn't that bad taking this world and following a cat through it.

Fairy Tail 125

And the weirdness of FT filler strikes once again! Warren is now a pedo.

The new OP is... intriguing. First one that actually predominantly covers a filler arc. I'm actually kind of excited since it covers Kinana, who Mashima for some weird reason neglected to mention in the main story she's the
snake Cobra was riding on before being transformed back.
I always thought she could use some fleshing out. I wonder if the studios asked Mashima about this.

It also looks like my favorite trio from Rave will have a role as well, so I am excite!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Well its not very high on my priorities list. I havent even seen the legendary endless Eight.

I actually only watched the first two episodes of the second season when they aired in Japan and completely missed Endless Eight. Maybe I had some sixth sense that it was coming.

Are you supposed to watch the first episode of endless eight and the last to save time but get a complete viewing experience of the second season?

ofx360

Banned
Well, i'm finishing up Acchi Kocchi ep5 and man...i'm enjoying this show. I really didn't expect to at the beginning of this season. Thought it was gonna be straight moe moe kyun~ stuff and just be a slog to watch, but its actually getting some laughs out of me.

Ao no Exorcist Omake 01-10
So these are 5 minute omakes that were a part of the DVD stuffs. They are ok, some are better than others while some were pretty boring. It wasn't bad as they were pretty short and it is nice to see some of the characters again.

Narag

Sailor Moon S 106

And to think I thought 105 was great. This episode was simply astounding. Not only did we learn more of Haruka's motivations and past but the episode was framed around her point of view. The regular cast was present albeit in more of a support role. It was both exciting and satisfying to have a more "behind the scenes" look at how the two approached these encounters as opposed to the typical simply showing up for a fight and talisman check.

There's this wonderful juxtaposition in design and execution between the events Salior Uranus and Saturn endure compared to the current monster of the week we get from Professor Tomoe and the usual Sailor Senshi antics. The Haruka/Michiru side is deathly serious, everything about their scenes has a certain gravity to it, and it exemplifies the class and grace of the duo. On the other hand, everything the Sailor Senshi were involved with this ep seemed almost like a a caricature and even Tomoe was full-on camp.

The common thread uniting the two sides was the target this week was the person that introduced Michiru to Haruka. Probably the biggest reveal about Haruka's past was
Michiru's willingness to kill if needed as required of her current duty. The hardness demonstrated by Haruka thus far all of a sudden develops cracks as one can speculate that she adopted the cold exterior so Michiru wouldn't have to be the one to get her hands dirty or endure the guilt of someone dying as a result of her actions. While this initially feels like a debt repaid, by the end of the episode it has seemingly transitioned into a bit of willful self-sacrifice on Haruka's behalf as she embraces the role of Michiru's guardian.

Haruka's elegance was pushed even harder this episode as so many scenes featuring her had some sort of extra effect not normally seen in an episode.

And suddenly I was watching a silly sentai series.

that turned into an ultraviolent 80s oav

The above helps demonstrate just how different the two sides to this episode were portrayed.

The absolute best thing about this though? Sailor Uranus & Sailor Neptune transformations!!!

Lain

Queen's Blade Rebellion 3

The naked boobs were kept to a minimum in this episode, even though the dancer was part of it, but on the flip side the sexual harassment was abundant.
Annelotte was pretty badass in this one, managing to get herself a devoted and perverted waifu too. I sort of like her a bit more than I did Reina, though I liked Reina a good bit.

sleepykyo

Code Geass should have ended at 21. It was such a magnificent ending to an episode.

The first season or the second? I still think back fondly on the first season while I can't remember much of the second season. If I could say the same in regards to the Blood+.

Narag

Is that monster....a....shoe....No it cant be.
Its not possible.

All bets are off in S due to the Daimons being taken from various real-life items coupled with some element of feminine sexuality rather than a fantastic theme. Some stuff is adapted differently though. The shoe bodied Daimon was basically a possessed hurdle so the aesthetic was track & field oriented which was silly but fit the needs of that episode. The jigsaw puzzle of a cat was handled a little differently but I think that was more to establish the overall theme the Daimons would carry throughout.

Second Season.

I thought it did end there when it first aired as there was no possible way to continue! How I was wrong.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Insomnia!

Jormungand 5

Some backstory. Finally. This Casper character seems interesting.
After Jörmungandr and Fenrir, I wonder if they'll introduce more characters related to the Ragnarök myth, and if they'll actually reenact it in some way.

They'll probably show some more backstories in the next few episodes... But I wonder when the show will leave its somewhat episodic nature behind and go for longer arcs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom