• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mashiro has the best ending and best choice ever in an anime!
I couldn't tolerate the show enough to get past the first couple of episodes (it was pretty bad...), but from what I saw of the ending,
at least he doesn't go with the incest option...

You soon learn that, for a variety of reasons, the girls are basically the rejects of the military. It's why they're sent to a place no one cares about with a tank that is at best, half finished. Not coincidentally, Kanata is basically the only "whole" character of the cast. They're basically "Bad Company".

As for the town, that's the benefit of photo referencing. I believe it's a town in Spain - I remember a Spanish dude visiting the town and taking pictures of the relevant places in town. Funny enough, the fort that they are staying at in the show is actually a luxury hotel.
Bad Company? I assume that's a movie reference, though I don't know it... I know of the Battlefield: Bad Company games, but haven't played those. But yeah, the girls have basically been shoved off into this out-of-the-way fort on purpose.

As for the town, yeah. I mentioned that too, and also remember seeing those photos. It certainly looked a lot like the one in the town.

I'll try Sword Art Online. Which for some reason, I have no hopes of it actually being good.

Backlog season.
Unless some of those "could be okay, could be awful" shows actually aren't awful, yeah, it's definitely looking like a backlog season. Summer usually is the weakest season, for TV or anime...

Don't think the results are up yet?

Edit: Nevermind.

ISML Round 3 Results :Seems like Victorique won her round!

Yeaaaa boi, feels good to be wrong, etc, etc
A nice surprise indeed!

Fairy Tail 130

XSfZ0.jpg

HYPzR.jpg

Yet all the magic that's used to kill people is perfectly kosher?

Genderbent Hughes is awesome. I knew she would be based on the OP, but she was still better than I could have expected! Fuckin command magic; broken as hell.

Also, I haven't mentioned it before, but I really like the new ED's song and how well it goes with the visuals. Pretty effective and reminds me of D.N.Angel's OP kind of.

Fuck Yeah.

The whole story about how the legendary ingredient named God ending a 100 year war was easily the most amusing thing I've seen in AGES.

I fucking gave Japan on this globe in my room a high five.

Toriko is what's missing in my life in the past decade.

Little do people know is that GOD is actually One Piece. Toriko is a sequel to OP that takes place hundreds of years later. The 100 year war is a partial reference to the Void Century combined with the actual war at the end of OP which was bastardized by history. After finding GOD, Luffy changed his name to Acacia and brought on the Gourmet Age. The Gourmet World is merely the Grandline that has since been inhabited by horrifying creatures, pushing even the most powerful pirates back into a single continent, ending the Golden Age of Piracy entirely. Gourmet Cells are just devil fruits broken down to microscopic particles and injected directly into the blood stream.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I couldn't tolerate the show enough to get past the first couple of episodes (it was pretty bad...), but from what I saw of the ending,
at least he doesn't go with the incest option...
The ending is the only thing that makes the show worth it. But in a good way!

Bad Company? I assume that's a movie reference, though I don't know it... I know of the Battlefield: Bad Company games, but haven't played those. But yeah, the girls have basically been shoved off into this out-of-the-way fort on purpose.

As for the town, yeah. I mentioned that too, and also remember seeing those photos. It certainly looked a lot like the one in the town.
Yeah, Battlefield: Bad Company. The rejects of the army somehow find themselves in the right time and place to save the world.

And here's the blog if you want to see some photo-referencing: http://animeraku.com/2010/02/sora-no-woto-in-real-life/

wonzo

Banned
Ginga e Kickoff!! 5

Kyouko pretty much owns. I'd expect nothing less from the coach's girlfriend! While this show has a rather budget feel to it at times, it certainly knows when to use animation effectively where it counts most. Comparing the soccer parts of this to the laughably animated The Knight in the Area and the difference in the quality of the animation is night and day.

I wonder if they'll pull ridiculously quick fluctuations in weight with Reika a la that guy in The Knight in the Area whose name I've already forgotten.

frostbyte

Code Geass / Code Geass R2 Final Impressions

Loved the episode by episode and final review impressions!

You guys will be Geass bros to me forever! *brofist*

------------------------

Summer 2012 List:

Hyped/Curious for:
Natsuyuki Rendezvous (Interested)
Arcana Famiglia (Sold by the title alone, trailer looks as if it's a fun show. Probably won't be great though.)
Tari Tari (Like the character designs and it's at least tangentially related to music.)
Moyashimon Returns (If I manage to watch the first in time)

Will wait for impressions:
Binbou-gami ga!
Sword Art Online
Aruvu Rezuru

Candidates for seasonal injection of misanthropy:
Kokoro Connect
Oda Nobunaga no Yabou
Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru!

Definitely watching:
Blood-C: The Last Dark (Whenever I can pre-order the BD)
All shows from the current season (Busy with studying for final exams and work lately, so I've had to put anime and internet on hold for now. Really shouldn't be procrastinating now... *slinks back into study cave*)

The ending is the only thing that makes the show worth it. But in a good way!
Worth actually watching that whole disaster to get to? Seems unlikely...

Yeah, Battlefield: Bad Company. The rejects of the army somehow find themselves in the right time and place to save the world.
Ah. So yeah, it is comparable.

And here's the blog if you want to see some photo-referencing: http://animeraku.com/2010/02/sora-no-woto-in-real-life/
Yeah, looks pretty much the same indeed.

Jex

Riki-Oh

You're all free now.

Rftop.jpg

that prison had really shitty construction.

Bonus review:
Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (Live-Action manga adaptation 'with animated X-rays'!)

You have never seen prison like this before. Join hands and walk with me down the stairs of
impaled plastic eyeballs, cranberry sauce blood, instant healing factor, terrible laughter, double-hook handed villains, more fake crushed skulls, lego block "concrete walls" and some of the most atrocious notable choreography
you have seen in a while.

This has been a Hong Kong public message to not use drugs.
Just two posts huh. I am disappoint!

Extollere

Sucks at poetry

But, yeah. That was quite the ride. One of the best, actually. There are so many different kinds of people who would certainly love this series - thriller fans, mecha fans, CLAMP fans, yaoi fans, keikaku fans, etc. - that I think it's wiser to just recommend it to everyone. Only those who don't like fun won't enjoy watching Code Geass.

Code Geass is amazing.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Re: Gundam blinding himself reaction image: What is the strategic advantage for mechs having a head? I can see why they would need legs and arms to more carefully imitate human movement, but adding a head is nothing but telling your opponent where to strike. Hell, most mechs even have their cockpits on their chests. It just doesn't make any sense.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Re: Gundam blinding himself reaction image: What is the strategic advantage for mechs having a head? I can see why they would need legs and arms to more carefully imitate human movement, but adding a head is nothing but telling your opponent where to strike. Hell, most mechs even have their cockpits on their chests. It just doesn't make any sense.
Image sensors? I don't know. It's not like a real Gundam could ever work effectively as long as our physics work the way they do.

Dresden

Toy ads! It's how those military campaigns fund themselves.

Narag

Vulcan cannons have to go somewhere.

duckroll

I have been saying this for 10 years or more now. Heads are the most unrealistic part of mecha design, and this is why most realistic military based mech designs generally don't have heads. You know what else is totally unrealistic and would never make sense to actually design a build on a mech? Fingers. :p

Like pizzaroll said, the image sensors go in the head. Have you not watched The 08th MS Team?
I have been saying this for 10 years or more now. Heads are the most unrealistic part of mecha design, and this is why most realistic military based mech designs generally don't have heads. You know what else is totally unrealistic and would never make sense to actually design a build on a mech? Fingers. :p
That's just crazy talk. Next you'll say they don't need shoulders or something weird like that.

To show character!

Why are gundams so brightly colored?
Why do they walk on 2 legs?
Why are naboo fighters yellow?

Silly fiction.

I always thought those gundams with tank treads were the most practical. Shame they don't have as good plot armor.

Risette

A Good Citizen
That doesn't explain why you would want to design a head. Image sensors can go anywhere. Why make it overt? It's like designing a big red glowing WEAK SPOT on a tank.
That's the trick -- keep all the important parts away from the head because dumb enemies will think it's the weak point!!!

duckroll

To show character!

Silly fiction.

I always thought those gundams with tank treads were the most practical. Shame they don't have as good plot armor.

Errr. There's a good reason why bipedal vehicles are actually an engineering interest. Tanks are poorly suited for combat and mobility in many environments. Bipedal tanks would not. That is the basis for walking mechs.

Errr. There's a good reason why bipedal vehicles are actually an engineering interest. Tanks are poorly suited for combat and mobility in many environments. Bipedal tanks would not. That is the basis for walking mechs.

But why 2 legs vs 3 or 4?

Damn it. Now I have to google up stuff instead of sleeping.

duckroll

But why 2 legs vs 3 or 4?

Damn it. Now I have to google up stuff instead of sleeping.

Tripod designs would be good for tall sentry type unit designs, like seen in War of the Worlds. But it would be ill-suited for more compact units which have larger body mass, due to balance issues.

Crab designs work well for smaller scale tank like designs which are meant for heavy artillery or frontal assault, but would have lower mobility and a larger mass. It is heavier and would be slower to move because of the engineering behind moving 4 legs instead of 2. It is not practical for larger-scale designs because of cost.

Uchip

Banned

Thats actually the basis behind the mechs in mechwarrior canon too
metal gear solid's "mobile nuke platform" is kind of silly though

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Image sensors? I don't know. It's not like a real Gundam could ever work effectively as long as our physics work the way they do.
It's 2 a.m. and I am very sleepy.
Toy ads! It's how those military campaigns fund themselves.
Thank God I was never into G.I. Joe toys.
They could hide missiles inside the fingers!
Like pizzaroll said, the image sensors go in the head. Have you not watched The 08th MS Team?
I actually haven't. :(
That's just crazy talk. Next you'll say they don't shoulders or something weird like that.
Shoulder plates can provide protection for the head. They wouldn't be needed if they didn't have a head though!
To show character!

Silly fiction.
Party pooper.
That's the trick -- keep all the important parts away from the head because dumb enemies will think it's the weak point!!!
But nobody ever shoots the head anyway so what's the fucking point!!!!
Vulcan cannons have to go somewhere.
Makes perfect sense to me.

duckroll

Thats actually the basis behind the mechs in mechwarrior canon too
metal gear solid's "mobile nuke platform" is kind of silly though

MGS' mobile nuke platform was just an excuse to write in a railgun. The original Metal Gear games used the same justification that a bi-pedal tank would be a useful weapon to deploy in third world countries.

I seem to remember in G Gundam that they piloted the Gundams in suits where they controlled them from their own movements, or something like that. So I guess mimicking the human body as close as they can could make sense.
I also seem to remember G Gundam had a Gundam that wore a sombrero.

Uchip

Banned
MGS' mobile nuke platform was just an excuse to write in a railgun. The original Metal Gear games used the same justification that a bi-pedal tank would be a useful weapon to deploy in third world countries.

Hadn't played the original metal gear but it sounds less silly
human form for mechs is fine if they look sufficiently bulky imo
kind of like this
Practicality aside, Japan does love its humanoid robotics

Railguns are awesome, you don't need an excuse to add them.

I seem to remember in G Gundam that they piloted the Gundams in suits where they controlled them from their own movements, or something like that. So I guess mimicking the human body as close as they can could make sense.
I also seem to remember G Gundam had a Gundam that wore a sombrero.

It's like how people paint skulls and sharks on their warplanes!

Sombrero strikes fear in the enemy.

DUH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom