• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since TRSI is having a FUNimation sale I figured I may as well pick up Chobits and Mushi-shi. I also ordered some Eureka Seven Music DVD/CD to get free shipping and see if I may the anime a second chance. Should be in by Monday, since it was just shipped today and even with economy shipping I get all of my orders pretty quick living just three counties away from TRSI's headquarters!

Narag

Learning far too much about MD Geist tonight.

5vXLB.gif

cajunator

Banned
Since TRSI is having a FUNimation sale I figured I may as well pick up Chobits and Mushi-shi. I also ordered some Eureka Seven Music DVD/CD to get free shipping and see if I may the anime a second chance. Should be in by Monday, since it was just shipped today and even with economy shipping I get all of my orders pretty quick living just three counties away from TRSI's headquarters!

Yeah shipping takes a while to get to Louisiana.
Unfortunately I have pretty much everything released by funimation that I want so i'm biding time until the new wave of shows.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Natsuiro Kiseki 6

Bwahaha. This show is so much better than usual when the wishes the girls make at the rock are crazy.

My mind was racing with the possibilities of what could happen in that bath scene. All of them wrong, obviously.

Are you guys ready for the OVA?

http://i.imgur.com/8Sd0J.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oJlz6.jpg

Sankarea 6
tumblr_m3vx773cTt1r3x2t8o1_500.gif

The anime really excels when its more of the serious route. When it turns to focusing on rea it just cant keep me interested. Feel pretty terrible but I like the Wanko/Furuya moments, feel more sincere than the ones with Rea. And Furuya was epic in this
he like jumped from the roof to the ground with no injury at all! and endured that powerful throw later

qcf x2

Damn Brazil, you wrote a book. I disliked Death Note. It was formulaic, overly pretentious and had the least sufferable "protagonist" ever. I tried Geass once upon a time, but I think after the second episode the Death Note vibe was so strong that I quit.

...are you telling me to go back?

Brazil

Damn Brazil, you wrote a book. I disliked Death Note. It was formulaic, overly pretentious and had the least sufferable "protagonist" ever. I tried Geass once upon a time, but I think after the second episode the Death Note vibe was so strong that I quit.

Yes. There are definitely more reasons to like Code Geass than reasons to like Death Note... And the Light vibe goes away after a little while, to be honest.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You probably do not have to pay sales tax though.

I was always amused by the fact that TRSI's tax calculator listed every county in Iowa and then one option for anything out-of-state. I don't even think that most businesses that have to charge sales tax to in-state residents are that specific.

Maybe just making the manabi line, but it's numba 1 MARU! in mai hatto.

I really miss Lagrange Sundays :(

cajunator

Banned

Hell. Fuckin. Yes.
The first season is legend. It is not to be missed.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
only a few more weeks until the fun begins again!

I'd say that I can't wait, but I'll be losing Apollon, MGX, Fate/Zero, Dusk Maiden, and everything else that I'm enjoying this season ._.

Anime is a constant meditation on transience.

Thoraxes

I'd say that I can't wait, but I'll be losing Apollon, MGX, Fate/Zero, Dusk Maiden, and everything else that I'm enjoying this season ._.

Anime is a constant meditation on transience.

With the good seasons must come the ones with only 3 shows you'll watch so you can catch up on your backlog!

Everyone has a backlog.

With the good seasons must come the ones with only 3 shows you'll watch so you can catch up on your backlog!

Everyone has a backlog.

Everyone should be watching at least 4 shows during the summer. Unless they hate comedy, romance, or bacteria. Which is their prerogative.

Losing all the great 1-cour shows this season should free up time for me to actually watch that next season!

Excellent!

Thoraxes

Everyone should be watching at least 4 shows during the summer. Unless they hate comedy, romance, or bacteria. Which is their prerogative.

I haven't even seen the summer chart yet.

I know i'm watching that Hentai-guy show, E7:AO, that Video Game one, and Rinne S2.

Maybe it's time I look it up instead of just going by what I see announced on twitter.

I haven't even seen the summer chart yet.

I know i'm watching that Hentai-guy show, E7:AO, that Video Game one, and Rinne S2.

Maybe it's time I look it up instead of just going by what I see announced on twitter.

Well, the summer shows I'm hyped for are:

Binbougami ga! - Because it's from the Gintama team, who created my favorite comedy ever, and the first manga chapter is very enjoyable and seems ideally suited to the team's talents.

Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu: Uta Koi - I like the idea of a period romance loosely based on classical poetry, Kenichi Kasai is a quality director when it comes to josei manga adaptations, Maki Kirioka and Yasunori Mitsuda are doing the soundtrack, and I like the key art.

Moyashimon Returns - Haven't seen the original yet, but it certainly seems very beloved.

Natsuyuki Rendezvous - Kou Matsuo has a good reputation for realistic directing, which seems ideal for the josei romance material he's working with here, and I really like the art style shown in the PV.

The only people who should even consider watching Geass are people who liked Death Note, and people who love Sunrise idiocy. You know, Mai Hime/Otome, Code Geass, etc. It's certainly got nothing else going for it.

I think both Death Note and Codde Geass are horrible, myself. In part I hate both of them because I can't really enjoy something where the main characters are evil (also see: Black Lagoon), but ore wrong with Geass than just that... it's also the usual Sunrise stupidity. I mean, I've liked a few Sunrise shows (Escaflowne...), but more often... yeah. Their constant excess of random mecha violence, over-the-top plot twists, etc... that Sunrise need to have the next act of random mass (mecha) violence top the last one REALLY gets old fast. You either like that kind of thing or you don't, and I don't at all. And their stupid plot twists, sometimes bringing dead characters back without much explanation at all and other times not doing so (seems fairly randomly chosen, which are which), etc... ugh. Yeah. Nothing there to like at all. Stupid plots, stupid writing, constant excessive violence, I'm not a mecha fan, questionably likeable characters at best, most of the time...

I did kind of like Idolmaster Xenoglossia, which they also did, but my opinion of it turned a bit past the halfway point, when it got serious. I did like it before that point though.

Mai-Hime 2-3

Oooh, I am getting nice yuri vibes between Natsuki and Shizuru, plus Mai/Mikoto make a nice duo (love Mikoto's face stuffed with food, she acts like a wild cat and that's kind of cute as well).
The action isn't anything exceptional so far, but it's interesting enough.
Shizuru/Natsuki is a yuri favorite pairing, but apart from that, the show's basically Sunrise being Sunrise.

Yes. There are definitely more reasons to like Code Geass than reasons to like Death Note... And the Light vibe goes away after a little while, to be honest.
He certainly stays a villain protagonist to the end, though...

Sora no Woto 1-3

The environments are really nice. They're nice to the point where I'd like to live in this town. The soundtrack is good and I'm liking the character designs. This show is succeeding in every place except where it matters most to me: the script.
These girls have to muster up all the courage to confront a ghost. There is no medic available to take care of them if they collapse.
And these girls are supposed to guard a town's borders? I guess I shouldn't expect anymore from Sora no Woto aside from cute soldiers doing cute things and talking about courage and friendship?
Do expect more. It will deliver more. Expect more moe antics, but the show gets a lot more serious farther in. Also, do make sure to watch the bonus episodes, the second one's key to the plot.

Also, if you like that town... well, it's actually modeled on a real town in Spain, and fairly accurately too I guess, so it sort of is a real place. :)
Random question for you guys. I was just thinking about this earlier and I was wondering how you all feel about this topic.

What would be, in your estimate, the show(s) with the best opening episode?

I'm not talking about the opening animation, and the entire series could collapse later and suck, but that first episode just drew you in and didn't let you go. I'll throw out my personal nominees, though I only plan to talk about a couple shows.

Ouran High School Host Club

This show sets up the entire premise and primary cast in it's first episode. And it did so brilliantly with great pacing, comedic timing, and showing just enough characterization for each of the seven main leads to get a good feel of who everyone is and what they're about at a glance, with a nice little "gotcha" at the end to surprise you and make you want the next episode right away.

Cowboy Bebop

A small, quiet scene is followed by a bombastic opening, leading into a laid back beginning where we're introduced to Spike (or Bebop the Cowboy if you prefer) and his partner Jett. We learn they're bounty hunters, and get a small glimpse into how their lives are about excitement (the fight scene in the square) but also can have some tragic results (the escape attempt for the bounty). This episode completely encapsulates the entire tone of the show to follow, some action, some laid-back scenes, and some bittersweet and/or tragic moments.
How about Haibane Renmei?

Heey, I may not be a fan of Gosick as a show.

But I want her to win her rounds! lol

I was just pretty sure the Madonka factor meant insta-wins.
So did you end up right, or not? I haven't checked.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Everyone has a backlog.

I don't even want to think about my backlog. I also used to have this thing called a gaming backlog, but I haven't touched it in months to focus on anime.

You won't be losing Space Bros!

Or Sengoku Collection, ahahahahahahah
I'm crying on the inside

I'm glad that I at least have Space Bros. as my rock for the next ten months or so.

This gives me a convenient excuse to post the Summer 2012 anime chart and list warz with everyone:

My list:

Aruvu Rezuru
Binbougami ga
Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
Kingdom
Moyashimon Returns
Rinne no Lagrange S2
Sword Art Online
Tari Tari

and probably Oda Nobuna no Yabou as my seasonal suffer-a-thon.

...okay, that's way more than I expected, but I'll probably drop half of these, so it's probably still going to be a good backlog season.

duckroll

Looked through the list. It's still just Natsuyuki for me. I'll probably watch an episode of Tari Tari to see if I like it. That's about it.

Brazil

Tari Tari and Sword Art Online are the only shows in that list I'm interested in right now.

I'm sure after some impressions I'll jump aboard a couple of other boats, though.

survivor

Banned
Moyashimon Returns - Probably need to watch the first one
Natsuyuki Rendezvous - Looks promising
Sword Art Online - The characters look cute
Tari Tari - No idea why

Will probably wait for a more in depth preview before I decide on other shows. Right now I'm just going by pictures.

This gives me a convenient excuse to post the Summer 2012 anime chart and list warz with everyone:

Besides the stuff on that chart, I recently noticed that Joshiraku, Tsutomu Mizushima's (Hare + Guu) adaptation of Koji Kumeta's (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei) comedy manga, will be airing in the summer. I'll probably give that a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom