• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sengoku Collection 4
Pcunk.jpg
Date Masamune's design is decent by normal standards (or at least her face, not talking outfits here), and compared to last episode....

Anyway, this was the first episode of SC to actually not be too bad. Or maybe I'm just becoming desensitized to how bad it is.

WObtI.jpg

JUST TIE THE TENDONS TOGETHER

Also, one of the most infamous Sengoku generals can't even defend against some random prisoner with a piece of glass? Historical inaccuracies everywhere :(

Anyway, I would say this episode was actually good for the first 3rd, until the hole digging happened. WTF was up with that? The last 3rd was ok too, the classy music made it better.

6XgQc.jpg

Those eyes of love~

Also, I couldn't help but draw comparisons to Riki-Oh since I just watched that yesterday.

ofKpZ.jpg

YOU'RE ALL FREE NOW

So this episode was the first one that wasn't flat out bad, this show is improving!

HqJmx.jpg

An eye that would make Kubo proud

Jex

Sora No Woto End

I don't think it was quite "K-On in the military"
(go ask someone who watched more than three episodes of that) and while I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, it was still a very thoughtful and slightly poignant show.

Well, if you have character types from K-On who look like characters from K-On it doesn't help.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's pretty similar, and I'm an expert character art nitpicker.
It-s-All-The-Same-Shit-so-ra-no-wo-to-15271689-600-844.jpg

Haly

What I hated most about Sora No Woto was using the K-ON art instead of whatever this is from:
So gorgeous. So much potential wasted.

wonzo

Banned
Folktales from Japan 6

It's nice and all that they're mixing up the art styles for the different shorts but surely they could do the same with the voice actors. Wakamoto would have made the perfect angry bear!

Articalys

Know what's absolutely hilarious about all this? The illustrator for the Kokoro Connect novels is K-On anime character designer Yukiko Horiguchi, yet the character designer for Kokoro Connect's anime is Toshifumi Akai -- who was also the character designer for Sora no Woto.

And yeah, Mel Kishida's original design art is pretty nice.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
What I hated most about Sora No Woto was using the K-ON art instead of whatever this is from:

I'm sorry Cajunator, they just don't seem to understand. :(

Kannagi (A1 Pictures) was the first to use that kind of artstyle, then K-on copied it, you could say. And SnW (A1 Pictures) just continues to use the Kannagi artstyle. Really, it's not that big a deal, but it gets annoying to constantly have people making wrong assumptions about SnW's art.

Haly

I didn't watch Kannagi so to me it's "K-ON" art.

Either way it's similar, you cannot deny that, you just can't.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I didn't watch Kannagi so to me it's "K-ON" art.

Either way it's similar, you cannot deny that, you just can't.

Not saying they aren't similar if you cherry pick the one character from SnW who has the most resemblance, but it's as silly to say SnW copies K-on as it is to say Warhammer copies WoW.

Even if you didn't watch Kannagi, you can still realize that, can't you?

Edit: this post came across as being a bit rude, not my intention!

even without the K-On copy discussion, the art style is still sub-par if you want make a serious show or more than K-On with girls in military uniforms.

I watched Fate Stay Night a few years ago and I kinda liked it, will I like F/Zero ? Are things a little more/better explained than FS/N ? Should I watch Unlimited Blade Works first ?
I tried reading the VN but fell asleep at the end of the prologue

I'm going to watch Eureka Seven AO, I hope it will be as awesome as the first series (and with the same level music-wise, the OST was fantastic).

I watched Fate Stay Night a few years ago and I kinda liked it, will I like F/Zero ? Are things a little more/better explained than FS/N ? Should I watch Unlimited Blade Works first ?
If you liked FSN, you should definitely watch F/Z, as it's a much better show in almost every way. F/Z contains all the explanations and exposition you need. You don't need to watch the UBW film first, it's not very good and has no real relation to F/Z.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

If you liked Fate/stay night, you'll love Fate/Zero. And you should watch Unlimited Blade Works too, because it's also much better than the original anime.

Loved the episode by episode and final review impressions!

You guys will be Geass bros to me forever! *brofist*

*Brofist*

Can't wait until someone else who hasn't seen it before starts watching the show and posting impressions, hahaha.

Jex

So, I've been listening to the latest ANNCast interview and before they even got to the interview segment of the episode I had to turn it off to stop my brain melting. Ugh.

I just about survived the Madoka discussion but I had real trouble surviving the FMA: Milos segment. Essentially, Zac doesn't like the movie because...well that's a little hard to say. He complains that the side-story is really boring and pedestrian, but then he said that he fell asleep thirty minutes in and only woke up for the credits. Apparently people on twitter supported his 'zzz boring' position so it must be a really solid argument.

He complained that the premise of the movie involved Ed and Al travelling to find a cure for their body-problems which is a bad set-up because we (the audience) know that the main plot of the series can't be resolved in this movie and so this killed all the tension in the movie. Of course, Justin didn't call him out on this and argue that pretty much every shounen movie based on a series is like that, or that such a thin 'premise' clearly exists just to get the protagonists to travel to some locale before the 'real plot' of the movie can begin because Justin is a trained monkey.

Zac goes on to complain that the movie is shackled to the 'over arching plot' of the manga and wishes it could 'do it's own thing' but then he also complains that it introduces annoying side-characters who are 'obviously going to be the focus of the movie'. Well, yeah Zac, that's how these things tend to work. Apparently he doesn't want to watch Brotherhood either, because it's not really clicking with him. He doesn't go as far as to consider why he might not be enjoying it, because that would require him to reflect on his own reactions to a show for one second. It's not like he's a writer who has to do that for a living.

Asshole.

When it's just Justin and Zac talking there's no-one around to call out their bullshit arguments. This always leads to pain for the listener.

I should really skip everything that isn't the interview, shouldn't I?

duckroll

Sounds like a pretty bad podcast. It also sounds like you already knew this. So why are you still listening to it regularly again...? :)

[Wasurenagumo]

I suppose you're right but it was still fucked up.

The ending was in keeping with the fairy tale spirit that the story wanted to evoke, though. It's a cautionary tale of supernatural horror, with a deceptively charming first act. I've gone back and forth about the ending, and right now I'm coming over to the idea that its shock value and the general back-and-forth playing with the audience's expectations does have merit. That it impressed my mind so strongly to still be mulling it over days after I watched it is a sign that it was effective in some way, at least.

Really, if you get yourself involved with ancient monsters who were sealed away, you shouldn't be surprised if it backfires on you!

Someone complimented Mel Kishida's art and 7th didn't immediately come in here to blast him? I'm shocked.

I don't even listen to the podcast, and I could have told you that. Although seeing someone blast Zac for his lack of thoughtfulness is always satisfying.

Code Geass R2, stuff, perhaps belated reply but whatever.

I prefer to entertain the notion that Lelouch ended up acquiring C.C. or Charle's Code and thus turning into an immortal himself living a peaceful eternity/time until C.C. finally died with her incognito. That theory kind of makes sense since that way C.C. also gets closure and her own wishes granted and ultimately the Zero Requiem is still successful, and Lelouch is still sacrificing a fair deal of things like what happens when you are meant to be dead and can never appear in public again. Another thing it explains is how nunuly was able to see Lelouch's memories when she touched him at the end of the episode, something which was thought to be a common trait that people with Code had.

If only they had shown Lelouch at the end. All theories sound way better than him dying to be honest, especially yours.

Little do people know is that GOD is actually One Piece. Toriko is a sequel to OP that takes place hundreds of years later. The 100 year war is a partial reference to the Void Century combined with the actual war at the end of OP which was bastardized by history. After finding GOD, Luffy changed his name to Acacia and brought on the Gourmet Age. The Gourmet World is merely the Grandline that has since been inhabited by horrifying creatures, pushing even the most powerful pirates back into a single continent, ending the Golden Age of Piracy entirely. Gourmet Cells are just devil fruits broken down to microscopic particles and injected directly into the blood stream.

Mindblown at how they were able to do a crossover (x2).

She found out that
Taco tried to cable with Cartman and she doesn't want him interfering with their love.

Baffling how everyone is falling for Haruyuki.

Toriko 21
Fuck Yeah.

The whole story about how the legendary ingredient named God ending a 100 year war was easily the most amusing thing I've seen in AGES.

I fucking gave Japan on this globe in my room a high five.

Toriko is what's missing in my life in the past decade.

I just wish he would hurry and reveal what GOD is. At least based on interview he knows and has what it is, but I just cant wait.

flawfuls

[Wasurenagumo]

The ending was in keeping with the fairy tale spirit that the story wanted to evoke, though. It's a cautionary tale of supernatural horror, with a deceptively charming first act. I've gone back and forth about the ending, and right now I'm coming over to the idea that its shock value and the general back-and-forth playing with the audience's expectations does have merit. That it impressed my mind so strongly to still be mulling it over days after I watched it is a sign that it was effective in some way, at least.

Really, if you get yourself involved with ancient monsters who were sealed away, you shouldn't be surprised if it backfires on you!

But the one that got screwed over was the one that didn't want to get involved. The real message behind this story is that we should all bow before our spider overlords.

But the one that got screwed over was the one that didn't want to get involved. The real message behind this story is that we should all bow before our spider overlords.

If she didn't want to get involved, she could have just walked away from the shop as soon as the spider got released. She was the one who started the whole mess by trying to look inside the sealed book anyway. Curiosity kills!

/XX/

L is special...
A bit of music (and sarcasm) makes the moment even better. The efforts on mocking this rifle are truly international:

迷銃で撃て! エンフィールドL85A1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FUUt-16Hhdw#t=250s

Hadn't played the original metal gear but it sounds less silly
Granin referenced again on MGS3 that purpose of "the missing link" having legs because of advantages on difficult terrain for countries with a road infrastructure in poor conditions, same thing said since the first Metal Gear game.

Kishida Mel original character designs were a little impractical. Animation character designs are made specifically adapted, as seen on many different productions, because of this.

As for the town, that's the benefit of photo referencing. I believe it's a town in Spain - I remember a Spanish dude visiting the town and taking pictures of the relevant places in town. Funny enough, the fort that they are staying at in the show is actually a luxury hotel.
The 'casco histórico' de Cuenca (and natural surroundings) is always well worth a visit... so beautiful, but it is true that for practically all the scenes of the series they took bits of many historical places and scenery and reassembled them without a meaningful own input... indoors included, as for example the Time Telling Fortress interiors were modeled in a very accurate fashion after the 'Convento e Iglesia de San Pablo'. After all they granted Paradores, the Spanish state-owned network of exclusive (the staff sure made Aniplex Inc., to foot a good bill) hotels on restored heritage buildings, the symbolic title of "original story" creator. See how much they enjoyed their trip here:

ソ・ラ・ノ・ヲ・ト
http://www.sorawoto.com/special/sp0301.html

ソ・ラ・ノ・ヲ・ト
http://www.sorawoto.com/special/sp0302.html

You know, I wouldn't call Nasu: Summer in Andalusia a Studio Ghibli film because it has designs that resemble what is styled by them. Some of the character interactions and traits on those two series could be similar, but those interactions precisely create the (I suppose) wanted illusion of normal daily lives for these 'reservists' and people in the town that are immerse on a conflict they see as fairly distant from them, and that makes the unconditional peace seem even more alluring. The scope of the two series is so vastly different I find them not comparable.

Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens (see the crazy part, although is not THAT crazy) is a complete different story because the more absurd humor and situations are alien to anything seen on the two K-ON! series, more costumbrists.

Defuser

Accel World ep 6
Chiyu is cute as usual and dat KYH's ponytail.

Is Sunrise teasing a Mahou-ka Koukou Rettousei anime or something? They finally realize adapting light novels is making cash for them. Looks like J.C.Staff is getting a competitor for light novel action adaptations.

Jex

I don't even listen to the podcast, and I could have told you that. Although seeing someone blast Zac for his lack of thoughtfulness is always satisfying.
As usual, the only good part of the whole affair is the interview with someone who actually, knows something about something. If only the the person doing the interviewing wasn't so incompetent.

Ultimadrago

Edit: What did you think about the OST for both series?

R1: A very, regal feel to most of of the tracks. Fitting for the constant presence of royalty and aesthetic of Britannia for the series, it had a few questionable arrangements in some scenes. But the OST at face-value is pretty good for it. I can't see another theme for an OST possibly taking its place.

R2: The same goes for this one, honestly. Strong use of instruments to utilize for the high-paced moments (and for not-so high paced moments.) Decent lighter tunes as bridges in between action and conflict. One of my favorites is an arrangement of the other songs, to a more upbeat, "Lupin" like feel. I don't know the name of the song and it's used sparingly, but definitely one of my favorite "KEIKAKU" songs.

And of course, the tracks from both Code Geass R2 spoilers:
"Ogga Booga stuff on screen!" part from Ep.21
and
the final song from 25
is great stuff from R2. Those are the first to come to mind, but I don't believe they're the only "moment-exclusive" tracks either.

Overall, I'd say I liked it. If offered the music, I'd probably take only a few powerful songs for personal recreation, but both series have a fitting and good OST.

Loved the episode by episode and final review impressions!

You guys will be Geass bros to me forever! *brofist*

*FistoftheBros*

Fo' Sho', man!
Ha, I was wondering when you were coming back actually.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Lupin the 3rd 3

I think I liked this episode more than the rest of you did, even though it wasn't as good as the first 2.

Goemon has quite the stoic character, but the little snippets of personality that peeked out were fun to see.

Jex

R1: A very, regal feel to most of of the tracks. Fitting for the constant presence of royalty and aesthetic of Britannia for the series, it had a few questionable arrangements in some scenes. But the OST at face-value is pretty good for it. I can't see another theme for an OST possibly taking its place.

R2: The same goes for this one, honestly. Strong use of instruments to utilize for the high-paced moments (and for not-so high paced moments.) Decent lighter tunes as bridges in between action and conflict. One of my favorites is an arrangement of the other songs, to a more upbeat, "Lupin" like feel. I don't know the name of the song and it's used sparingly, but definitely one of my favorite "KEIKAKU" songs.

Tell me about how you feel about Ali Project.

Cwarrior

So, I've been listening to the latest ANNCast interview and before they even got to the interview segment of the episode I had to turn it off to stop my brain melting. Ugh.

I just about survived the Madoka discussion but I had real trouble surviving the FMA: Milos segment. Essentially, Zac doesn't like the movie because...well that's a little hard to say. He complains that the side-story is really boring and pedestrian, but then he said that he fell asleep thirty minutes in and only woke up for the credits. Apparently people on twitter supported his 'zzz boring' position so it must be a really solid argument.

He complained that the premise of the movie involved Ed and Al travelling to find a cure for their body-problems which is a bad set-up because we (the audience) know that the main plot of the series can't be resolved in this movie and so this killed all the tension in the movie. Of course, Justin didn't call him out on this and argue that pretty much every shounen movie based on a series is like that, or that such a thin 'premise' clearly exists just to get the protagonists to travel to some locale before the 'real plot' of the movie can begin because Justin is a trained monkey.

Zac goes on to complain that the movie is shackled to the 'over arching plot' of the manga and wishes it could 'do it's own thing' but then he also complains that it introduces annoying side-characters who are 'obviously going to be the focus of the movie'. Well, yeah Zac, that's how these things tend to work. Apparently he doesn't want to watch Brotherhood either, because it's not really clicking with him. He doesn't go as far as to consider why he might not be enjoying it, because that would require him to reflect on his own reactions to a show for one second. It's not like he's a writer who has to do that for a living.

Asshole.

When it's just Justin and Zac talking there's no-one around to call out their bullshit arguments. This always leads to pain for the listener.

Am dumbfounded why for the love god would a human being listen to a recording of stuff coming out of a bunch anime fans mouth, I don't want to know and hope such fate never falls on me.

I 'll tell you my opinion on it to not put this post space to waste

Unfortunately I kinda ..maybe I don't know if it's agreeing with him on one thing but the premise of movie involving Ed and al looking for a cure/ finding away to get there bodys back and the philosopher not being the way they want to do it(mainly that part), I founded this a downer especially for someone like me who's seen this play out 2 life times over in Fma brotherhood, fma 1 and Fma the blind alchemist, it's a story I've long become tired of hearing especially after I got passed that with the end of the original story (brotherhood and manga).

Luckily it didn't play a big role in the movie most of the focus was on the movie side characters whose story I haven't heard before(even if I found it a common one).
For someone that doesn't really like anime movies outside of ghibli, I thought the movie was ok pretty much standard shounen movie, found some enjoyment epically the bleach like twist in there(lol), had quite few things I didn't like about it but nothing extremely bad that would have me dying inside.

On that other stuff I completely disagree, the side characters worked in the movie and his reason for not wanting to watch brotherhood is silly also there clearly something wrong with him if his an fma fan after watching fma 1.

Koroviev

If you liked Fate/stay night, you'll love Fate/Zero. And you should watch Unlimited Blade Works too, because it's also much better than the original anime.

*Brofist*

Can't wait until someone else who hasn't seen it before starts watching the show and posting impressions, hahaha.

I'll probably end up doing this. Haven't seen it and apparently I'm missing out.

wonzo

Banned
Oh this is anime? I gotta add it to my MAL. I watched it a long time ago.
from the youtube description:
A few years ago, in Budapest, colleagues brainstormed an idea for creating a Japanese "Anime" version of Jesus' story. We met with former Disney animator, Barry Cooke who loved the idea. My role was very small, but after various scripts, music and concepts. HERE IT IS!

At one point it was the story of Jesus meeting the "Demoniac." Eventually, we decided the first story would be about Jesus' death and resurrection.

This story unfolds through the eyes of a criminal who receives the same brutal crucifixion sentence as Christ. "My Last Day" is a short film of regret, repentance and redemption. Animé created by The JESUS Film Project, with Barry Cook and Studio 4C (株式会社スタジオよんどしい Kabushiki-Gaisha Sutajio Yondo Shii). They created Animatrix, Tekkon Kinkreet and Gotham Knight.

Hopefully this will be the first of many short stories of Jesus' life. Thank you all for the years of prayer.

apparently it was removed from mal for some dumb weeaboo reason but it's mal so it doesn't really matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom