• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Summer lists!?

Extremely hyped

Binbou-gami ga

Pretty hyped

Sword Art Online
Dog Days s2
Horizon s2

Curious

Arcana Famiglia

Watching because I watched the first season

Rinne no Lagrange

duckroll

Besides the stuff on that chart, I recently noticed that Joshiraku, Tsutomu Mizushima's (Hare + Guu) adaptation of Koji Kumeta's (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei) comedy manga, will be airing in the summer. I'll probably give that a try.

Oh? Really? I might give that a try. Mizushima is pretty insane. I wonder if he'll continue his recent streak of insanity that led from Blood-C to Another.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Symphogear 01-10

"Hey, let's rip off Madoka Magica, but we give the main character a personality!"

I personally think that the similarities between Madoka and Symphogear end at their both being mahou shoujo series with an actual threat of death; they don't really have much thematic similarity otherwise.

Hibiki was a fun character and really the only fun thing about the show for me, and it's a shame that she was stuck in a show full of morons and one-dimensional trope characters.

Besides the stuff on that chart, I recently noticed that Joshiraku, Tsutomu Mizushima's (Hare + Guu) adaptation of Koji Kumeta's (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei) comedy manga, will be airing in the summer. I'll probably give that a try.

Sign me up for that for sure.

Speaking of Kumeta, I really need to get around to watching Katte ni Kaizou one of these days.

Soma

Summer 2011

Hyped for
The next SYD OVA

Don't know
Everything else

I'll most likely be (trying) to catch up on my backlog this Summer :|

duckroll

Joshiraku doesn't seem like the sort of thing that'll get particularly bloody, but I guess you never know what he'll do.

When all else fails, there is always ketchup! :D

Mizushima is a pretty funny director with a strong track record in being able to depict humor in a very visual way though. I love that in him. Great comic timing.

Andrew J.

I personally think that the similarities between Madoka and Symphogear end at their both being mahou shoujo series with an actual threat of death; they don't really have much thematic similarity otherwise.

There are certain visual elements that have me convinced that some of the show's staff really, really wanted it to be Madoka.

This gives me a convenient excuse to post the Summer 2012 anime chart and list warz with everyone:

Kingdom - looks kind of cool
Hagure Yuusha no Estetica - synopsis makes it sound like it has potential
Rinne no Lagrange 2
Sword Art Online
Horizon 2
Aruvu Rezuru: Kikai Jikake no Yousei-tachi - sci fi, sounds compelling
La Storia della Arcana Famiglia - must watch
Tight-rope - pv actually looked fun with some action

Eureka Seven AO 5
tumblr_m3w2jyw52T1qcoij7o3_500.png

Started to get agitated by the ones in Pied Piper, fortunately the actually leaders are on Ao's side. Dont understand why the peers are so set on trying to differentiate themselves from him and be his superior. Also he looks a bit older than twelve.

Im guessing the three folks in the other group and their leader is dead, a shame, the Secrets are actually smart so action moments may actually prove to be lengthy. Visuals for the typhoon and clouds were actually good as well as that take off sequence and boot up sequence in Nirvash

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The closure sucks since he picks the wrong girl.
:(
Mashiro has the best ending and best choice ever in an anime!

Sora no Woto 1-3

The environments are really nice. They're nice to the point where I'd like to live in this town. The soundtrack is good and I'm liking the character designs. This show is succeeding in every place except where it matters most to me: the script.
These girls have to muster up all the courage to confront a ghost. There is no medic available to take care of them if they collapse.
And these girls are supposed to guard a town's borders? I guess I shouldn't expect anymore from Sora no Woto aside from cute soldiers doing cute things and talking about courage and friendship?

You soon learn that, for a variety of reasons, the girls are basically the rejects of the military. It's why they're sent to a place no one cares about with a tank that is at best, half finished. Not coincidentally, Kanata is basically the only "whole" character of the cast. They're basically "Bad Company".

As for the town, that's the benefit of photo referencing. I believe it's a town in Spain - I remember a Spanish dude visiting the town and taking pictures of the relevant places in town. Funny enough, the fort that they are staying at in the show is actually a luxury hotel.

The first round results for Sai Mecha were posted. http://saimecha.wordpress.com/2012/05/11/earth-side-round-1-results/#more-299
Gurren Lagann (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) – 68.91 vs ARX-7 Arbalest (Full Metal Panic) – 31.09%

Big O (Big O) - 59.35% vs GN-001 Gundam Exia (Gundam 00) – 40.64%

AV-98 Ingram (Patlabor) - 61.43% vs RahXephon (RahXephon) – 38.57%

Takemikazuchi (Sora no Woto) – 28.51% vs MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam (Zeta Gundam) – 71.49%

Shin Getter Robo (Shin Getter Robo) – 54.59% vs Zeorymer (Zeorymer of the Heavens) – 45.41%

Nirvash Type 0 (Eureka 7) – 67.76% vs Dai Guard (Terestrial Defense Force Dai Guard) – 32.24%

Mazinger Z (Mazinger Z) – 38.25% vs VF-25 Messiah (Macross Frontier) – 61.75%

Mazinkaiser SKL (Mazinkaiser SKL) – 56.37% vs Delphine (Break Blade) – 43.63%

BONUS ROUND: Best use of mecha by/in moe

Sora no Woto (33.51%) vs Keroro Gunsou (26.49%) vs Hayate no Gotoku (20.54%) vs Haiyore! Nyaruko-san (19.46%)
The next round hasn't been posted yet.

Makoto

You soon learn that, for a variety of reasons, the girls are basically the rejects of the military. It's why they're sent to a place no one cares about with a tank that is at best, half finished. Not coincidentally, Kanata is basically the only "whole" character of the cast. They're basically "Bad Company".

As for the town, that's the benefit of photo referencing. I believe it's a town in Spain - I remember a Spanish dude visiting the town and taking pictures of the relevant places in town. Funny enough, the fort that they are staying at in the show is actually a luxury hotel.
*realization*

Now those 3 episodes make sense in retrospect.

sonicmj1

The only show I think I'm going to watch from that list is Sword Art, and I could see myself dropping it. So it's going to be another season of backlog. Maybe I'll finish Utena and Ano Natsu, and I've got Paranoia Agent on deck to watch. I guess I also haven't finished Level E, and I could always get back to Dennou Coil.

And I've got this morbid curiosity about Blood-C and AKB0048 that I may as well satisfy.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The Shit in the Area 19
You should probably see a doctor about that, dude.

This referee is way too lenient of booking players. Even if the kick wasn't a foul, the shove should have merited a yellow at least.
Ginga e Kickoff 05

Even though the show is pretty budgeted, they do put the details where it matters, like footwork.
This is the biggest difference between Ginga and Knight. You can tell that the animators in the former actually give a shit (or have enough of a budget) as to the logistics of football, whereas the latter is like watching still photographs of a football match. It's no coincidence that most of Knight is framed so that you cannot see the legs of the players.

Accel World 6

Damn, Haru is seriously getting a harem. Excellent.
Aqua Current should be a good addition.

Taku x Haru is still going to be the most popular pairing. I can just feel it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Rick's Bread 05:

w6Ove.gif

shit sux so bad this week that I can't even make bread jokes. Following the usual pattern for the show, the episode totally discards whatever buildup occurred in the previous episode and goes in an entirely different direction. It's frustrating because Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan is continually fooling the viewer into believing that it's not episodic. There are some contiguous plot threads that feel like they should be given far more importance than they're allotted and, furthermore, each episode ends on a note that leads one to believe "this is the episode that finally puts the plot in motion." It never happens.

For those curious, this episode was about
the girls helping a tsundere loli witch learn to make ice cream.
I'm not kidding.

Oh, and
the witch's name is Melty. If there wasn't already a history of Japan loving the word for some reason (Melty Blood, Melty Lancer) I would be impressed at the ice cream pun.

Actually, there were a couple of fine innuendos, but the plot just wasn't Rick-centric or bread-centric for the usual fun. We did have this:

"Special meat bucket" just sounds extra-dirty. The show indicates that it's a hit with the guys.

And this requires no further commentary:

Ban this sick filth.

At least this episode also introduced the concept of agoraphobia moe:

M0BWU.jpg

Sunglasses at night? Mai waifu.

Kore wa Zombie desu ka? of the dead 6
iLgPnHD4enbKZ.gif

Great episode, Ayumu was hilarious throughout and
Mystletainn is back, epic Ayumu scene ensued was worth the episodes withouht and the wedding dress

I guess we get some serious plot in these last four episodes.

Accel World 6

Fuck this harem bullshit. Princess Chode Sack as psychotic waifu and Childhood Friend as moe NTR girl were perfect. Is perfection not good enough for you, Cartman?

Speculation/confusion:
was the whole thing with Baron von Kissu about Taco still being a douche, or is he playing the role of double agent now?

I have to admit that despite the show constantly shitting the bed with melodramatic "games are srs bsns" nonsense, the video game side of things does have some nice touches such as continuing to rely on running out the clock, opponents making friendly chatter after a fight, powerleveling, etc.

Also, they almost went full Cartman this episode:

is accel world some kind of new age wish fulfillment anime?
Sort of. There's a ton of wish fulfillment, but it's balanced somewhat by the MC still being a useless piece of shit who's just being manipulated by people who actually matter.

edit: also, his waifu has (mostly likely unintentional) serious mental issues. Psychotic moe.

people that read the manga. Does cartman ever grow into a likeable and 'strong' lead? Or does he weez by with plot armor and other bullshit the entire time?

And on the opposite side of the spectrum

Toriko 21

Fuck Yeah.

The whole story about how the legendary ingredient named God ending a 100 year war was easily the most amusing thing I've seen in AGES.

I fucking gave Japan on this globe in my room a high five.

Toriko is what's missing in my life in the past decade.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
*realization*

Now those 3 episodes make sense in retrospect.
Yep. You'll soon discover what is going on with all the characters and how their pasts tie into the greater narrative. The fact that they're all girls probably hides all that because you're thinking of moe. lol

chickdigger802 said:
people that read the manga. Does cartman ever grow into a likeable and 'strong' lead? Or does he weez by with plot armor and other bullshit the entire time?
I think Cartman's pretty likeable, or at least sympathetic. I definitely agree that the plot armor bullshit needs to go, though I hope his in-game character stays gimp.

What is plot armor? Sounds like a trope.
Im not looking it up because I'm at work and that site is addictive.
It's when a story introduces an unprecedented device/rule/power/etc to keep a character from losing/dying.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Accel World 6

Dammit, Cartman, you idiot.
Why did you level up?

He keeps on being a whiny brat, and his
harem keeps on growing.
It's amazing.

What's up with
Kuroyukihime-senpai Burst Linking at the end?
Huh.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Eureka Seven AO 05

The moé plague has infestated Eureka Seven too.

Don't
rescue missions
usually have some, I don't know, urgency? Cause I didn't feel any of that watching Ao getting into the Nirvash. The pacing in this show is all wonky and crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom