• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So, I've been listening to the latest ANNCast interview and before they even got to the interview segment of the episode I had to turn it off to stop my brain melting. Ugh.

I just about survived the Madoka discussion but I had real trouble surviving the FMA: Milos segment. Essentially, Zac doesn't like the movie because...well that's a little hard to say. He complains that the side-story is really boring and pedestrian, but then he said that he fell asleep thirty minutes in and only woke up for the credits. Apparently people on twitter supported his 'zzz boring' position so it must be a really solid argument.

He complained that the premise of the movie involved Ed and Al travelling to find a cure for their body-problems which is a bad set-up because we (the audience) know that the main plot of the series can't be resolved in this movie and so this killed all the tension in the movie. Of course, Justin didn't call him out on this and argue that pretty much every shounen movie based on a series is like that, or that such a thin 'premise' clearly exists just to get the protagonists to travel to some locale before the 'real plot' of the movie can begin because Justin is a trained monkey.

Zac goes on to complain that the movie is shackled to the 'over arching plot' of the manga and wishes it could 'do it's own thing' but then he also complains that it introduces annoying side-characters who are 'obviously going to be the focus of the movie'. Well, yeah Zac, that's how these things tend to work. Apparently he doesn't want to watch Brotherhood either, because it's not really clicking with him. He doesn't go as far as to consider why he might not be enjoying it, because that would require him to reflect on his own reactions to a show for one second. It's not like he's a writer who has to do that for a living.

Asshole.

When it's just Justin and Zac talking there's no-one around to call out their bullshit arguments. This always leads to pain for the listener.

I should really skip everything that isn't the interview, shouldn't I?

Several of those opinions made me physically ill to read.

Just more proof that we need an AnimeGAFcast to balance out this sort of clownery.

Tell me about how you feel about Ali Project.

Code Geass was my first exposure to Ali Project and I thought that their style fit the show even if it was a style of music that I'd never listen to for pleasure. Their song is pretty indefensible elsewhere, of course.

Jex

This one is the worst, because at the start you think it might be in a slower tempo, which would at least be one way to differentiate it, but then 10 seconds in it's like "Nope, we're going to go back to that one song we always do." Ridiculous.

I'd like to think that's some kind if meta in-joke about their own laziness, but I guess that would take too much work to pull off.

Jex

Code Geass was my first exposure to Ali Project and I thought that their style fit the show even if it was a style of music that I'd never listen to for pleasure. Their song is pretty indefensible elsewhere, of course.

Well, there is a pretty big difference between liking one of their songs (totally understandable) and liking their whole catalogue (crazy!).

Theonik

R1: A very, regal feel to most of of the tracks. Fitting for the constant presence of royalty and aesthetic of Britannia for the series, it had a few questionable arrangements in some scenes. But the OST at face-value is pretty good for it. I can't see another theme for an OST possibly taking its place.

R2: The same goes for this one, honestly. Strong use of instruments to utilize for the high-paced moments (and for not-so high paced moments.) Decent lighter tunes as bridges in between action and conflict. One of my favorites is an arrangement of the other songs, to a more upbeat, "Lupin" like feel. I don't know the name of the song and it's used sparingly, but definitely one of my favorite "KEIKAKU" songs.

And of course, the tracks from both Code Geass R2 spoilers:
"Ogga Booga stuff on screen!" part from Ep.21
and
the final song from 25
is great stuff from R2. Those are the first to come to mind, but I don't believe they're the only "moment-exclusive" tracks either.

Overall, I'd say I liked it. If offered the music, I'd probably take only a few powerful songs for personal recreation, but both series have a fitting and good OST.

*FistoftheBros*

Fo' Sho', man!
Ha, I was wondering when you were coming back actually.
A lot of stuff on Code Geass is probably forgettable but it fits the show very well with some exceptions which I like listening to outside the show. R2 was better in terms of having memorable songs I found. Then again R1 was more subtle in many ways.
No love for The master (obviously the comments are a landmine for people that haven't seen the show) or the glorious Brittania anthem?
or these two btw?
Well, there is a pretty big difference between liking one of their songs (totally understandable) and liking their whole catalogue (crazy!).
If they are all the same wouldn't it be logical that liking one would lead to liking several of their songs? The crazy thing would be marathoning their music.

Jex

Sounds like a pretty bad podcast. It also sounds like you already knew this. So why are you still listening to it regularly again...? :)

You don't listen to ANN to hear the presenters waffle. You listen for the interviews. In this case, it's an interview with Janet Scott Fraser, one of the few 'gaijins' to work in anime. That's whole segment is actually very interesting.

DiGiKerot

Well, they certainly got incredibly lazy visually, re-cutting the same footage together in a different order. For shame Sunrise!

Oh, be fair, there's at least, what, 10-15 seconds of really good original animation for R2 OP2/Worlds End. Surely that counts for something?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Upotte 6

FUCK this shit. So disappointing argh

the kiss was good

tumblr_m3mj9a4gyE1qgncf4o1_500.gif

Ultimadrago

A lot of stuff on Code Geass is probably forgettable but it fits the show very well with some exceptions which I like listening to outside the show. R2 was better in terms of having memorable songs I found. Then again R1 was more subtle in many ways.
No love for The master (obviously the comments are a landmine for people that haven't seen the show) or the glorious Brittania anthem?
or these two btw?

Hah, well I hadn't posted all of the songs I liked. Just a couple examples.

The first from these is another fine track from the series.

The second, I hold too much towards that "exclusive scene" rather than the song itself. Good tune for the scene, not a fan of it solo.

The Master and Britannia theme are great as well, perfect setting music for the show's "DOUCHES"!

Pooya

Fate/Zero 19

this episode wasn't as good as I imagined, it was somewhat boring actually.

Kiritsugu this time doesn't hesitate like he did with Shirley and brings down the plane. I think he actually rushed it this time, maybe he could save her this time after the plane landed, he didn't seem sure about what he did after either.

They tried to build up the relationship between Natalia and Kiritsugu in the first half of episode so that the conclusion has some emotional effect but it didn't work for me because the two are mostly emotionless cold-blooded killers. The talk between the two before he fired the stinger didn't really work either. They did the same thing last episode but it actually worked there with Shirely & Kerry, here not sure, didn't care about Natalia.

In first episode Kirei talks about how Kiritsugu brought down a plane just to kill his target, now we know what really happened, well we can see how Kirei can't understand Kiritsugu, he doesn't really know anything about his character and his motivations.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Edit: What did you think about the OST for both series?

I honestly think I have to listen to the OST individually, without the hyper-fast Code Geass craziness exploding in my screen, before being able to judge it properly, haha. I do recognize that there were some beautiful and epic tracks used in the most climatic moments, like
the one that starts after Nunnally realizes what Zero Requiem was all about
, for example.

Tell me about how you feel about Ali Project.

Eh, they're ok. I've always liked the Noir OP, and the Another OP is ok, too. I haven't heard much of their other works, though.

Theonik

I honestly think I have to listen to the OST individually, without the hyper-fast Code Geass craziness exploding in my screen, before being able to judge it properly, haha. I do recognize that there were some beautiful and epic tracks used in the most climatic moments, like
the one that starts after Nunnally realizes what Zero Requiem was all about
, for example.

Eh, they're ok. I've always liked the Noir OP, and the Another OP is ok, too. I haven't heard much of their other works, though.
The OSTs are very nice to listen to indeed sans a few repetitive tracks that work better in the show.
Fun-Fact: I was listening to Madder Sky and Continued Story when reading your final review posts :p

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Upotte!! 06

It's that time of week again~ Man, only four more episodes left. I hope there's going to be a second season... This episode I think they ran out of some budget when they realized "Oh shit, there's going to be a whole 'nother arc after this one!" It's too bad really, because there were some points where solid animation would have done wonders to the look at feel of the climactic battle. Oh well I guess, it was still good. Characters got some good development, even if they had to spell 16's out for everyone to see in the campiest, 80s action movie way possible,
The yuri is strong in this one
. and SIG is slowly descending into the character I know and love. :D

I can't wait until the AK arc~!
6at6I.gif

Ultimadrago

Upotte!! 6

NWyPP.jpg

Fuckin' elves.

Eru is a scrub like usual. Delicious tears, etc., etc.

M16's
speech about her past struggles
was ugh. Eye-roll worthy.

Oh well,
SIG
being back is all that mattered.

Also FNC gets
some elf lovin'

So everyone likes
Funco
? Bad taste school has bad taste.

TL;Dr: Those who watched for Episode 5 can safely leave the premises. You will be notified when things get "not-boring-as-hell" again.

survivor

Banned
What I hated about the newest Upotte episode is that
Sako could have easily won the entire thing but she didn't cause of dumb writing

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Upotte 5

XHsgj.jpg

Being Eru-chan is suffering. :(

I knew about fanning, didn't know about water skipping though. You'd think accuracy would go way down if you skipped, but I guess FNC-chan can pull it off sometimes.

Anyway, wow Sako. That is what I watch Upotte for.
Actually I watch Upotte because it's fun, but Sako is just even more reason to watch now. ^^

That ending,
Sako is such a cheater, she kept on shooting FNC after the fight was over, then complained about M-14 trying to stop her, and then goes and shoots one of the observers. Noooooooooooooooooo Sig-chan. :(

This show is trying to convince me that Sig-chan is the greatest gun ever made. There's nothing she can't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom