• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moretsu Pirates 19
tumblr_m3xfmyK36A1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Sandaime was hilarious in his scenes. The bears. Mellow entertaining episode. Not really much to say on it to be honest.

Oh and I guess even a space anime gets a beach episode.

Jex

I have been saying this for 10 years or more now. Heads are the most unrealistic part of mecha design, and this is why most realistic military based mech designs generally don't have heads. You know what else is totally unrealistic and would never make sense to actually design a build on a mech? Fingers. :p

Lets face it, most aspects of mecha design are completely unrealistic, up to and including the head itself. Most of them are far too big, for starters.

Jex

Oh, right
well another thing that makes no sense, is how the gundams are brightly coloured like Optimus Prime
doesnt exactly seem like the best cammo

Hey, Tomino wanted it to be pure white, but the toy companies said no. Luckily Unicorn came along to give use our whole-white Gundam.
I can't tell if you guys are trolling me or not, but...

gdtLu.jpg

If you're a badass like Shiro you can do perfectly well in a ball.
You no likey episode 1?

I am afraid that I, like many others, found it to be quite a painful experience.

Instro

This season has been rather interesting in that regard though, there was a ton of high quality first episodes. Even Sankarea knocked it out if the park.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Upotte!! 6

Wait, what? What the hell?
They freaking lost? L85A1 got shot like that... And M16A4 only took a single shot at her? Why? ... Oooooooooh. Nice.

Rk95 TP redeemed.
She even made SG 550 salty, lol.

And now there's
Steyr AUG
moe. Awesome. Too bad the series probably won't get back to episode 5 levels of epicness in a while, haha.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It's not just one character it's not just vaguely similar. It's Angel Beats level of character design cloning.

I really don't know what you mean, are you referring to the one character in Angel Beats who looks similar to Haruhi?

I don't get it. Why do people think episode 1 of F/Z is so bad?

If you're going to make a double length episode, at least don't make it boring
and have silly walking scenes
and cram it with dull exposition.

Sadly, not Liar Game.

Alas, it has been banished to the realm of crappy J-dramas. I do hope we can get a Gambling Emperor Zero adaptation one day.

Well what's keeping you? There's not much going on at the moment.

It's on my list, I swear!

[Fate/Zero]

I am afraid that I, like many others, found it to be quite a painful experience.

Even in my recent rewatch, that first episode was still a painful slog. Although it has a couple good moments, the Kiritsugu/Kirei scenes that make up the bulk of it get monotonous. Its longer than usual length does it no favors.

Moe pirates 19

The main plot about the missing ring was pretty silly and kinda half assed, and quality was down a bunch (derp faces galore), but still a fun fun eps.

ai.jpg

Ai chan is best girl of the club.

And the whole cleaning thing was silly fun.

i6WNlfGH7yal1.gif

Weeeeeeee

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The 'casco histórico' de Cuenca (and natural surroundings) is always well worth a visit... so beautiful, but it is true that for practically all the scenes of the series they took bits of many historical places and scenery and reassembled them without a meaningful own input, indoors included as for example the Time Telling Fortress interiors were modeled in a very accurate fashion after the 'Convento e Iglesia de San Pablo'. After all, they granted Paradores, the Spanish state-owned network of exclusive (the staff sure made Aniplex Inc., to foot a good bill) hotels on restored heritage buildings, the symbolic title of "original story" creator. See how much they enjoyed their trip here:

ソ・ラ・ノ・ヲ・ト
http://www.sorawoto.com/special/sp0301.html

ソ・ラ・ノ・ヲ・ト
http://www.sorawoto.com/special/sp0302.html

It's too bad they didn't do a travel documentary like the one with FMP and Aria. It would have been nice to see them walk around the streets to get a sense of the geography. Other than knowing that the fortress is separated from the town by the bridge, you don't really get a sense of where things are in the anime.

It's really funny though. A few years ago I would have considered something like Avatar (both the cartoon and the shitty 3d movie) cultural appropriation. But seeing it happen in the "other direction", I'm totally cool with it now. Presumably the same effect of fetishization is happening here (Spano-phile? :p), but it doesn't really seem skeevy at all.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
You people may call the first episode bad, but was it not memorable?!

Not really, there was waver in class, some stuff in a castle I can't remember, walking in circles, lots of boring talking between brown haired people I didn't care about at that point, and uhh, maybe a worm rape scene? It really wasn't that memorable, especially when compared to other episodes.

Well, if you have character types from K-On who look like characters from K-On it doesn't help.

Neither the character types nor the art design come from K-On. You are completely, 10)% wrong.

I watched like, seven episodes of the show. I know what I am talking about!

You clearly don't, if you think they got the art from K-On, when in fact it's the same exact style as Kannagi, which was from the same studio as SnW and has that same art style (and predates K-On)...

Except they don't really look like characters from K-on. More like K-on looks like characters from A-1's Kannagi.

Exactly -- the ripoff goes the other way around.

I'm sorry Cajunator, they just don't seem to understand. :(

Kannagi (A1 Pictures) was the first to use that kind of artstyle, then K-on copied it, you could say. And SnW (A1 Pictures) just continues to use the Kannagi artstyle. Really, it's not that big a deal, but it gets annoying to constantly have people making wrong assumptions about SnW's art.

Yeah, it's very, very annoying.

I didn't watch Kannagi so to me it's "K-ON" art.

Either way it's similar, you cannot deny that, you just can't.

No, we can't deny that you're wrong because of a lack of information, I agree.

True. and fixed.

I agree that it'd have been interesting to see it with the original art style, but what they used was fine, I think.

even without the K-On copy discussion, the art style is still sub-par if you want make a serious show or more than K-On with girls in military uniforms.
SnW was supposed to be both serious and silly. It succeeded at both.

Watch through episode 4 (never mind the end), and get back to me on that "she's the same as Yui" thing... :lol

The 'casco histórico' de Cuenca (and natural surroundings) is always well worth a visit... so beautiful, but it is true that for practically all the scenes of the series they took bits of many historical places and scenery and reassembled them without a meaningful own input, indoors included as for example the Time Telling Fortress interiors were modeled in a very accurate fashion after the 'Convento e Iglesia de San Pablo'. After all, they granted Paradores, the Spanish state-owned network of exclusive (the staff sure made Aniplex Inc., to foot a good bill) hotels on restored heritage buildings, the symbolic title of "original story" creator. See how much they enjoyed their trip here:

ソ・ラ・ノ・ヲ・ト
http://www.sorawoto.com/special/sp0301.html

ソ・ラ・ノ・ヲ・ト
http://www.sorawoto.com/special/sp0302.html
Even if it's a bit of a mix and match, it looks fantastic in the show and they did a great job of it for sure.

You know, I wouldn't call Nasu: Summer in Andalusia a Studio Ghibli film because it has designs that resemble what is styled by them. Some of the character interactions and traits on those two series could be similar, but those interactions precisely create the (I suppose) wanted illusion of normal daily lives for these 'reservists' and people in the town that are immerse on a conflict they see as fairly distant from them, and that makes the unconditional peace seem even more alluring. The scope of the two series is so vastly different I find them not comparable.
Yeah, the idea that the two have similar plots is an illusion that will be broken well before the end of SnW.

Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens (see the crazy part, although is not THAT crazy) is a complete different story because the more absurd humor and situations are alien to anything seen on the two K-ON! series, more costumbrists.
Kannagi was okay, but yeah, it is even more different in some ways since it's a haremish romance/action/comedy show, not a group-of-girls series... but in terms of setting and world, SnW is the most different for sure.

Did Kore wa Zombie turn serious yet? Has like 5 episodes out so if they are all comedy should be worth watching.

Watch it! It's a thousand times funnier than anything in season 1 and that itself was pretty funny.

Alas, it has been banished to the realm of crappy J-dramas. I do hope we can get a Gambling Emperor Zero adaptation one day.

Zero by the Kaiji team would be godly.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, Kobayashi being a smexy girl boy in Ginga e Kickoff and this talk of Sora no Woto makes me want to go back and rewatch SnW sooner rather than later.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
You know, Kobayashi being a smexy girl boy in Ginga e Kickoff and this talk of Sora no Woto makes me want to go back and rewatch SnW sooner rather than later.

I've already started a rewatch (well, to my shame I didn't watch every episode the first time), now's a good time for you to start too!

cajunator

Banned
I really don't understand what the fuss about Ali Project is.

The one song they make is kind of boring. The only one I like is Copperia's Casket from Noir.

Almost dozed off and forgot!

FATE/ZERO 19: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1336817780

Enjoy!

Shit I fell asleep and missed the broadcast :(

Pretty damning evidence to be sure. People said the same about Yuki Kajiura but listen to her latest stuff, especially in Fate Zero. Its godlike.

Bodacious Space Pirates 19

ibfIDbVUwGonXV.gif

Screw everything about that girl. That shit's way too moe.

Holy genki <3

Fate/Zero

It really wasn''t a bad episode overall. Pulled me right into the show and set everything up nicely. The only problem was the boring 5 minute circling part. Everything else was pretty groovy.

It's not just one character it's not just vaguely similar. It's Angel Beats level of character design cloning.

Now you're just wrong.
But whatever. A-1 came up with a style and K-on stole it, so if A-1 used K-on's style (which they didn't) then they are basically stealing from their previous work anyway. Kyo ani are the ones who stole anything. The only reason people say this is because K-ON was more popular so they don't know about Kannagi.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I think the only thing most people really know about Kannagi is the death threats the Author got when one of the characters was revealed to have had a boyfriend in the past.

Jex

Now you're just wrong.
But whatever. A-1 came up with a style and K-on stole it, so if A-1 used K-on's style (which they didn't) then they are basically stealing from their previous work anyway. Kyo ani are the ones who stole anything. The only reason people say this is because K-ON was more popular so they don't know about Kannagi.

But Kannagi lacks Yui!

Makoto

Moe pirates 19

The main plot about the missing ring was pretty silly and kinda half assed, and quality was down a bunch (derp faces galore), but still a fun fun eps.
From what I understand, episode 19 and beyond will be original anime content.

So expect more quality of this caliber.

Jex

[Sankarea] - 6

Sankarea6-1.png

This shot is indicative of how far the appeal of this show has fallen from the opening. I don't feel any shame in dropping the show after this episode.

I had a number of problems with this episode and unfortunately there weren't just caused by the amateurish cinematography. Yet perhaps we should talk about that first, because the one aspect of the show that really got me (and, I think others here) hooked on the show was how strong the visual-storytelling was. The use of colour, the editing, the cinematography, the way shots were arranged next to each other to create meaning, the flow of the story and so forth. As you can see from above, the show now has trouble shooting three people all in the same scene without resorting to lining them all up in a row in the centre of the shot. Pathetic.

Of course, the tone of the story has changed quite a bit over the course of the first few episodes. Moving from a largely sombre series mixed with brevity to a strange fanservice show. This episode seems to be leaning back towards serious, but unfortunately they are trying to achieve that whilst also including dumb fanservice shit and other waciness.

One thing that really bothered me about this episode, and what I think is indicative of how shitty the writing has become is the sequence when
he starts to videotape Rea for his 'zombie observation diary'. He really seems to enjoy videotaping certain aspects of her body, including her legs, in a fairly perverse manner. Rea is of course, embarrassed about being recorded but she's also fairly playful as well, shrugging it off to a certain extent. However, what she should be is incredibly creeped out and traumatised because Furuya, who she came to for protection and comfort, is now acting just like the father who has abused her. Of course, she doesn't respond that way at all.
That's just shitty writing.

cajunator

Banned
[Sankarea] - 6

Sankarea6-1.png

This shot is indicative of how far the appeal of this show has fallen from the opening. I don't feel any shame in dropping the show after this episode.

I had a number of problems with this episode and unfortunately there weren't just caused by the amateurish cinematography. Yet perhaps we should talk about that first, because the one aspect of the show that really got me (and, I think others here) hooked on the show was how strong the visual-storytelling was. The use of colour, the editing, the cinematography, the way shots were arranged next to each other to create meaning, the flow of the story and so forth. As you can see from above, the show now has trouble shooting three people all in the same scene without resorting to lining them all up in a row in the centre of the shot. Pathetic.

Of course, the tone of the story has changed quite a bit over the course of the first few episodes. Moving from a largely sombre series mixed with brevity to a strange fanservice show. This episode seems to be leaning back towards serious, but unfortunately they are trying to achieve that whilst also including dumb fanservice shit and other waciness.

One thing that really bothered me about this episode, and what I think is indicative of how shitty the writing has become is the sequence when
he starts to videotape Rea for his 'zombie observation diary'. He starts really seems to enjoy videotaping certain aspects of her body, including her legs, in a fairly perverse manner. Rea is of course, embarrassed but fairly playful about the whole thing. However, what she should be is incredibly creeped out and traumatised because Furuya, who she came to for protection and comfort, is now acting just like the father who has abused her. Of course, she doesn't respond that way at all.

I dont think that's shitty writing. More like Stockholm syndrome. Its what she knows and accepts as reality. Why do you think girls who were sexually abused as kids sometimes become a prostitute? Thats what they are comfortable with because its how they experienced life. SO It is reasonable that she would be familiar with this sort of behavior by now and maybe even sympathetic towards it.

he starts to videotape Rea for his 'zombie observation diary'. He really seems to enjoy videotaping certain aspects of her body, including her legs, in a fairly perverse manner. Rea is of course, embarrassed about being recorded but she's also fairly playful as well, shrugging it off to a certain extent. However, what she should be is incredibly creeped out and traumatised because Furuya, who she came to for protection and comfort, is now acting just like the father who has abused her. Of course, she doesn't respond that way at all.

There's actually nothing wrong with this. It would be a gradual thing because repeat abusees don't fully register the implications of someone's actions right after being given a safe haven.

And that's even before you consider the fact she's a zombie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom