• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makoto

What I hated about the newest Upotte episode is that
Sako could have easily won the entire thing but she didn't cause of dumb writing
Pretty much.

Headshotting a target in a tower, hundreds of metes away?
No problem for Sako.
Shooting at an unsuspecting target a few feet away?
Miss every shot.

And that's not even counting the
you've got mud in your barrel and I can shoot you but I'm going to walk away and cackle maniacally because I'm a villain
BS.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Fate/Zero 19
Shit.... that episode was good. The random transition of different times made it somewhat confusing but the material there was really good. I'll post something again after I watch it again after my Final.

I expect like paragraphs worth of stuff duckroll.

Narag

Fate/Zero 19

I really enjoy how they've cut out the OP for the past two focused episodes. Opening was great, addressed a long standing question, and had some wonderful music enhancing it. To some degree the past two have felt like a different show and it occurred to me I'd gladly watch a show about Kiritsugu's past.

Loved the conversation between Kiritsugu and Natalia. Wasn't sure if that smile she gave at the end was because she was expecting him to do what he did or was simply unsurprised he had the resolve to do so though. Or maybe even she was subtly reinforcing his decision what with bringing up his ability to pull a trigger, the threat onboard and her worry it might not be containable, and her own desire to retire from the busines.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

So a rifle's mouth is where you bung the magazine.
Your
ZRQpf.gif
would smell of gunpowder after a
nV5h2.gif

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
What I hated about the newest Upotte episode is that
Sako could have easily won the entire thing but she didn't cause of dumb writing
Sako's a sadistic showboat. What more can you expect? She draws things out for maximum suffering and humiliation.
She pulled a batman gambit thinking Elle would just give up, but she didn't, and that's ultimately why she lost, her own hubris. 16 had to humble herself to win and let Elle save her, and that's ultimately why she won.

What is with you guys and the idea that the good guys losing is "realistic"? This episode, everyone was internally consistent. Sure, the Elle suffering was better done in the manga this episode, but the ideas were still brought across.

So a rifle's mouth is where you bung the magazine.
Your
ZRQpf.gif
would smell of gunpowder after a
nV5h2.gif
That's actually a reference to the fact that the Galil AR platform has a built in wire-cutter that can double as a bottle opener.

survivor

Banned
Sako's a sadistic showboat. What more can you expect? She draws things out for maximum suffering and humiliation.
She pulled a batman gambit thinking Elle would just give up, but she didn't, and that's ultimately why she lost, her own hubris. 16 had to humble herself to win and let Elle save her, and that's ultimately why she won.

What is with you guys and the idea that the good guys losing is "realistic"? This episode, everyone was internally consistent. Sure, the Elle suffering was better done in the manga this episode, but the ideas were still brought across.
Or you know just shoot her cause you are a sadistic person and enjoy pain. But hey don't, just walk away laughing like a generic villain.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Upotte 6

A yuri episode! And an NTR episode!

Poor Sig-chan had such a bad day, first she got a new (and much better, if you ask me) hairstyle, then NTR struck as first
Sako kissed her beloved,
and now Auguu~-chan also wants to
steal Funco-chan away from her.

Galil is so [censored], I hope Cajunator is watching this show!

hellclerk

To be honest, I expected this, which is why I haven't watched episode six.
Why listen to Drago? It's not like he's watching it because it actually LIKES the show or anything. :p

Or you know just shoot her cause you are a sadistic person and enjoy pain. But hey don't, just walk away laughing like a generic villain.
There's a such thing as psychological pain too, you know. But hey, you know, it's not like Elle was stuck in the mud, feeling like a piece of crap, unable to do anything while Sako's true goal was 16 anyway. Why bother with the dud when you can win anyway?

survivor

Banned
Why listen to Drago? It's not like he's watching it because it actually LIKES the show or anything. :p

There's a such thing as psychological pain too, you know. But hey, you know, it's not like Elle was stuck in the mud, feeling like a piece of crap, unable to do anything while Sako's true goal was 16 anyway. Why bother with the dud when you can win anyway?

Wasting 1 second of your time shooting isn't a deal breaker that requires any effort. It's a lame villain trope and I was really hoping they wouldn't use it in an otherwise good battle.

Makoto

It's bad writing and almost inconsistent with the Sako of episode 5.
She could have inflicted five times as much psychological pain by just shooting L right there and letting her wallow in defeat knowing there was no other outcome.

Jex

Upotte 5

I knew about fanning, didn't know about water skipping though. You'd think accuracy would go way down if you skipped, but I guess FNC-chan can pull it off sometimes.

You should watch the Golgo 13 TV series! Or maybe not, it doesn't have any cute girls in it.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
You should watch the Goglo 13 TV series! Or maybe not, it doesn't have any cute girls in it.
Perhaps I would be able to find some of the stuff you recommend if they were spelled correctly. :(

Otherwise I'll just have to stick to my shows for 3 year old girls. :)

jman2050

Fate/Zero 19

The one thing this episode (and the last) does is establish via contrast just how much of an annoying wuss main character Shirou is.

Aside from that though,
the airplane scene was predictable, but pulled off well nonetheless. I think once Natalia realized that she couldn't control the ghoul outbreak and the airport wouldn't ever take such a potential threat seriously she knew she was done, and was completely expecting Kiritsugu to 'take care of business'

Ginga e Kickoff 5
tumblr_m3xa61KXiS1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Lucky kids with tablets in grade school. Utterly hilarious episode with a lofty goal.
Shou and chasing the coach down appearing at each location with Kyouka's help, then all the players and Zach chasing him down on that Sunday.
Only thing I didnt like were references that went beyond me...beckman, la liga, zidane.

hellclerk

Wasting 1 second of your time shooting isn't a deal breaker that requires any effort. It's a lame villain trope and I was really hoping they wouldn't use it in an otherwise good battle.

If she got shot though, they couldn't have done that fantastic "moment of truth" shot sequence (that really need better music). There's a narrative purpose for it all, so I'll take a lame villain trope (with a cartoonishly evil villain) with character development for everyone, than "THE BAD GUYS WIN" with an everyone is now subjugated to Finnish rule end.

survivor

Banned
If she got shot though, they couldn't have done that fantastic "moment of truth" shot sequence (that really need better music). There's a narrative purpose for it all, so I'll take a lame villain trope (with a cartoonishly evil villain) with character development for everyone, than "THE BAD GUYS WIN" with an everyone is now subjugated to Finnish rule end.

Which is why I said bad writing.
They could have had a better scenario where Eru has her moment to shine without making Sako fail to generic villain tropes.

edit:
Also I'm not that mad with Sako losing. It looks like she has gotten friendly with them and it seems like she is coming back in the next big arc. So if she is on the side of the good guys, I would like it more

Instro

Young Animator Training Project- Wasurenagumo

That was a strange one, very enjoyable. The anime reminds me of some old fable or myth with a very poignant lesson, in this case
don't fuck around with monsters/demons/etc. It was interesting how the tone kind of lulls you into false sense of security with the bits of comedy antcs, because I think that's what ended up selling the latter parts and the ending
. Lots of great animation, its rather surprising that we've had 2 semi action shows from this year's projects so far. I particularly liked how the fire was being animated during the opening scenes. It looked very alive, so to speak. Also the framing of some of the shots in the abandoned house at the end was also really well done.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
About Wasurenagumo, was I looking too much into that last scene in the ED, or does that actually mean...?

Accel World 6

These kids sure take their video games seriously.

Why are they discussing the moral of 'leeching'? 'The honor of fighting'...

They sure do like their fanservice angles with chi.

And that pony tail D:

You know what this show reminds me of? Megaman battle network.

Ultimadrago

About Wasurenagumo, was I looking too much into that last scene in the ED, or does that actually mean...?

The girl's tangible form is facing away from the audience, she is not only distant from us physically but mentally as well.

A.k.a:
She gon'!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So the MC girl in Wasurenagumo
died right and not some weird she turned into another spider girl twist.

Area no Kishi 19
tumblr_m3xcm6DPAF1qbxqfpo1_500.png

The things allowed in soccer is pretty baffling, you can actually kick someone and not be fouled?
I did like the trauma theme going on once Kakeru was playing, two times was alright, and with that kick to the face, hopefully he gets over it next episode

We need Mako and Kaoru back in action though. Shonan match has been fun.

Brazil

The girl's tangible form is facing away from the audience, she is not only distant from us physically but mentally as well.

A.k.a:
She gon'!

What I was thinking was more along the lines of:

So the MC girl in Wasurenagumo
died right and not some weird she turned into another spider girl twist.

She became some spider/girl mix.
At least that's the impression I got.

Ultimadrago

Yeah, for that I was thinking
the spider girl took her body and mind. So more like a host or new body for the spider girl, meaning there's no more main girl left besides her body which now belongs to the spider girl.

Brazil

Yeah, for that I was thinking
the spider girl took her body and mind. So more like a host or new body for the spider girl, meaning there's no more main girl left besides her body which now belongs to the spider girl.

Oh, yeah. That makes sense.
Still unsettling.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Watching the ending again I guess this has to be the case as the girl at the end is bigger that the original spider gal. Haircut mean nothing since the hypnotised bloke could have easily cut the original spider's hair to disguise it.

Ultimadrago

Kids on the Slope 5

RfXVC.jpg

Yo dun goofed, bro!

ZFVUw.jpg

A nice shot of "Tug o' War" here.

Nz92j.jpg

The string (medium through channeling of self) drops as the line and
emotions of Kaoru
drop

Pardon the listing, some of the first-half's cinematography just caught my eye during this episode. The
intrusion from Sentarou
seemed a bit "convenient" in order for the character to get yet another link of understanding towards Kaoru. However, it will probably add to the depth between them later on.

Warning: CG trains.

The scene where Kaoru
laughs with his mother over getting rejected.
It truly is the best medicine.

Nice episode, I'll try not to watch the next one so late.

Fate Zero 19
tumblr_m3x1e0EFNN1rqsovoo2_250.jpg

Kiritugu is more interesting as Kerry than in his early adult and later adult form. Seemed like something was lost in the transition. Though I did like the scenes with Kerry and Natalia .

Plane stuff was quite moving and intense. Odd to have not packed no skydiving kit though and the visuals in sky were nice

Jex

New English version of the official website for Mr. Kamiyama's 009 RE:CYBORG movie, including the promotional short film titled 'Mid Report':

009 RE:CYBORG
http://009.re-cyb.org/

The painful thing about watching the Berserk and 009 trailers is that I can see that there's some great cinematography on display, and the director is clearly talented, but what's actually being captured by the camera is painfully ugly. What a waste of talent.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Suite Precure 6

Cyymk.jpg

That's not how you get a family, Hummy

This was an alright episode, Kanade needed to be way more apologetic at the end, though I guess they were going for the "they know each other so well they don't need to really apologize" angle.

AGNPK.jpg

Anime parents are so irresponsible. :(

Anyway, a new character is being teased:

Poor Hibiki and Kanade didn't stand a chance against her. :(

A
new power up already? hmmmmm.........

E6eQr.jpg

The horror! The horror!

Jex

Random question for you guys. I was just thinking about this earlier and I was wondering how you all feel about this topic.

What would be, in your estimate, the show(s) with the best opening episode?
That's an interesting one. Opening episodes are clearly extremely important, if they don't hook the viewer in it's unlikely that they'll watch the rest of the show.

Still, just because they are extremely important that doesn't mean that they're always going to be great. I can think of a number of shows with fairly unimpressive openings, such as Towards the Terra and Gunbuster, which do themselves no favours.

Still, off the top of my head here's a few that stand out:

Cowboy Bebop
Evangelion
Moribito
Monoke
Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Giant Robo
The Big O
Bakemonogatari
Casshern Sins
Ergo Proxy
Gurren Lagann
Hanasaku Iroha

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
That's an interesting one. Opening episodes are clearly extremely important, if they don't hook the viewer in it's unlikely that they'll watch the rest of the show.

Still, just because they are extremely important that doesn't mean that they're always going to be great. I can think of a number of shows with fairly unimpressive openings, such as Towards the Terra and Gunbuster, which do themselves no favours.

Cowboy Bebop
Evangelion
Moribito
Monoke
Giant Robo
The Big O
Bakemonogatari
Casshern Sins
Ergo Proxy
Gurren Lagann
Hanasaku Iroha

I haven't seen all those shows, but of the ones I have (with one exception) I agree with your picks.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Fate Zero 19
tumblr_m3x1e0EFNN1rqsovoo2_250.jpg

Kiritugu is more interesting as Kerry than in his early adult and later adult form. Seemed like something was lost in the transition. Though I did like the scenes with Kerry and Natalia .

Plane stuff was quite moving and intense. Odd to have not packed no skydiving kit though and the visuals in sky were nice

Pretty sure airplanes don't have that...

Instro

Cowboy Bebop
Evangelion
Moribito
Monoke
Giant Robo
The Big O
Bakemonogatari
Casshern Sins
Ergo Proxy
Gurren Lagann