• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Get to it.
93kFu.png

Soma

Oh man Iri vs. Char

That's legitimately kinda tough for me...

Also, this is pretty much my stance on the current season:

Still watching
Sankarea - because zombie moe
Kids On The Slope - because jazz + brolust
Tsuritama - because FUCK YEAH FISHING (also great OP)
Nyaruko-san - because i hate myself
Fate/Zero S2 - because Kiritsugu is mai waifu
Space Bros - because Pugs and feeling so moon
Hyouka - because gdlk production values/directing even if it is kinda boring
Dusk Maiden - because ghost moe
Mysterious Girlfriend X - because dat Urabe
Lupin III - because... I actually haven't watched past episode 2 for some reason.

Dropped
Medaka Box
Accel World
Upotte (might sneak in an episode or two out of morbid curiosity...)

Still need to check out
Euraka 7 AO
Saint Seiya... maybe.
Polar Bear Cafe
Kore Wa Zombie Desu (loved episode 1 but not sure if i'll continue it right away or not)
AKB00- pfft ahhahahahaaha

Not Bothering With
Everything else.

So with that said, I'm still enjoying the Spring Season a lot. It's brought a lot of fantastic new shows even if some aren't as consistently good. It's been mentioned before but I have to reiterate how awesome the diversity in art styles this season has to offer is.

duckroll

Everyday that passes GORIPON seems like a even more possible option, but... have you seen somewhere any further indication or rumors on who exactly is the director involved in this?

The most likely candidate is Umetsu. Raito-kun was the one who first made me consider the possibility. Umetsu mentioned on his blog that he is working on planning a new TV series which he is directing. He's also working on character designs (he doesn't specify it's for the same show but it seems likely). And on most of his previous works where he planned the concepts, he directed, designed the characters, and worked on the scripts. That seems to fit with the theme here. He's also an action director. Oh and he loves young girls! :)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Sankarea 6

After reading some of the previous comments on this episode, I was starting to fear for the series... But, honestly, while the more recent ones haven't been up to the first three's quality level, these episodes are still fun to watch. The show didn't do a complete 180º to stupidity as some feared it would.

And, next week,
osananajimi episode. Good.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
For me, this list would consist of:

Still watching
Hyouka - because FUCK YEAH KYOANI! Beautiful animation, direction, and music.
Acchi Kocchi - Because SO FUCKING CUTE!! :3
Kids On The Slope - Great characters and direction.
Fate/Zero S2 - It's pretty, and I promised myself I'd finish this (which is much easier now that I know how it ends)
Space Bros - Feel good show of the season
Sankarea - Morbid curiosity

Dropped
Nyaruko-san - Just not my cup of tea
Accel World - I don't like the MC
Upotte - Bizzare concept shock value only lasts an episode or two.
Mysterious Girlfriend X - see Nyaruko-san
Lupin III - Beautiful artwork, but otherwise I'm just not compelled to watch more.

Never started
Polar Bear Cafe (I need to get on this)

Not Bothering With
Tsuritama - Dunno, the artwork just kinda turns me off
Medaka Box - Never had interest from the start, impressions have not been able to change my mind
Eureka 7 AO - Just not interested
AKB0048 - See Medaka Box
Kore Wa Zombie Desu - See Eureka 7 AO
Dusk Maiden - See Eureka 7 AO

/XX/

The most likely candidate is Umetsu. Raito-kun was the one who first made me consider the possibility. Umetsu mentioned on his blog that he is working on planning a new TV series which he is directing. He's also working on character designs (he doesn't specify it's for the same show but it seems likely). And on most of his previous works where he planned the concepts, he directed, designed the characters, and worked on the scripts. That seems to fit with the theme here. He's also an action director. Oh and he loves young girls! :)
Now I've checked that Mr. Umetsu mentioned a little time ago on his blog (http://nailwonder.blog44.fc2.com/) he was making designs for 'bishōjo' heroines... it really seems like this is his work.

sonicmj1

Eureka 7 AO 5

Well, that was kind of awful. Except for the soundtrack, which remains really incredible.

2CaET.jpg

Looking kinda weird there, suit guy.

I hate everyone in Goldilocks, and it's really all the fault of that 11 year old member who likes sweets and complains about being called a kid. And the second half actually felt a little hard to follow, in terms of understanding how time was passing.

I don't have a great sense of why, but right now I feel annoyed by this show more than I'm enjoying it. It's not terrible, but I wouldn't regret dropping it.

I can stick around for one more episode, because it looks like there'll be action.

tiff

Banned
fKxvy.png

Current season shit:
Still watching
Hyouka - Looks quite gorgeous, and I like the characters so far.
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san - goofy and zany and in a good way
Upotte! - two great things that taste great together
Smile! Precure - pika pika pikarin~

Dropped
Lupin III - kind of interesting but I don't really have enough time to devote to it

Still need to check out
AKB0048 - i'm sure it'll be fun either way!
Kore wa Zombie desu ka? of the Dead - sounds like they figured out that boring melodrama in a show about chainsaw magical boy zombies isn't a very good idea. plus yodel stripping.

Don't Care
Eureka Seven Ao
Kids on the Slope
Tsuritama
Saint Seya Omega
Space Bros.
Jormungand
Medaka Box
Accel World
Sankarea
Polar Bear Cafe
Sengoku Collection
Fate/Zero

Brazil

Ginga e Kickoff!! 5

Truly one of the best sports anime shows in ages.

The thing about Reika
being the girl in the OP... Holy shit. Looks like she'll pull a reverse Shinobu.

Bwahaha. Hanashima's awesome.

duckroll

Oh boy! Twelve different types of mecha to be seen in beautiful CG! (Speaking of which, time for AKB!)

I don't think they mean specifically that there are 12 mecha designers for the show, but that 12 of the people on the main staff are mecha designers. Also, mechanical design extends to ships, cars, etc too.

DiGiKerot

I don't think they mean specifically that there are 12 mecha designers for the show, but that 12 of the people on the main staff are mecha designers. Also, mechanical design extends to ships, cars, etc too.

Yeah, probably, but it does seem like something of a peculiar statement to make if they aren't at least all doing something mecha-related on the production, if only because it's drawing unneeded attention to the fact that these people are working on the show but not in that capacity.

(Also, unless we're getting well down into key animators and stuff, that's an awfully large number of people to be working on a show if half of them aren't specifically doing mecha designs of some kind - unless it's a robot show where each of the heroines mecha is designed by a different designer or something...)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Football really demands (or should demand) quality shows, because it is needed only the best for the best sport... what a spectacle it can be!

Indeed. In honor of the glorious day today (hahaha sucks to be you Mnight) I shall check out this show today. Well that and I'll be doing even less anime watching than the slacking I've been doing come Tuesday 3:01 AM EDT.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
We listing?

Thoroughly enjoying

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia - it's basically another season of Natsu no Arashi!
Eureka Seven AO - great so far but may fall one column if it goes too weeaboo like pancake loli in episode five
Fate/Zero S2 - I forgot that anime could be this good.
Kids on the Slope - beautiful, masterful, all hail Watanabe.
Mysterious Girlfriend X - this show knows me.
Space Bros - Mutta is one of the most endearing and lifelike protagonists ever.

Okay enough to keep watching

Hyouka - mysteries are boring, but it's fucking beautiful
Fujiko - I've been pretty bored since episode three, but it has its moments.
Tsuritama - it's pretty and cheerful but this series just makes me feel nothing.

Thinking of Dropping

Jormungand - when everyone hyped Hitman Orchestra only for it to be worse than the first two episodes, it doesn't portend well for the rest of this already-dull show.
Sankarea - what happened is fucking criminal.

Dropped

Medaka Box - fuck this show.
Nyaruko - not funny.
Saint Seiya Omega - Umakoshi's magic has its limits.
Upotte! - ratio of sick humor:gun shit went in entirely the wrong direction.
Zetman - pacing's too fast, I'll just read the manga someday.

Watching for Lulz

AKB0048 - AITAKATTA
Sengoku Collection - occasionally lifts out of lulz territory, but this is my designated Spring 12 suffering show.
Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan - something something Rick's bread

duckroll

Yeah, probably, but it does seem like something of a peculiar statement to make if they aren't at least all doing something mecha-related on the production, if only because it's drawing unneeded attention to the fact that these people are working on the show but not in that capacity.

(Also, unless we're getting well down into key animators and stuff, that's an awfully large number of people to be working on a show if half of them aren't specifically doing mecha designs of some kind - unless it's a robot show where each of the heroines mecha is designed by a different designer or something...)

I agree, but keep in mind that this is a long haul tease. There are 16 hints in total, and they're revealing one every two days until the end of the month. Some of the hints are already worthless crap about the main character's family background which really means jack shit to anyone as long as the show remains a mystery. :)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Kids on the Slope > Space Brothers > Korra no Densetsu > Mysterious Girlfriend X > Accel World > Ginga e Kickoff! > Fujiko Mine > Sankarea > Hyouka > Polar Bear Café > Eureka Seven AO > Saint Seiya Omega > Tsuritama > Medaka Box

My Spring Season

Love
Tsuritama - characters and plot are cool
Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle S2 - the puzzle show I always wanted
Hyoka - love the characters, visuals, and setting
Hiiro no Kakera - mix of action, decent lead, and character designs
Kimi to Boku 2 - a slice of life that actually has what I want in the genre
Ginga e Kickoff!! - the demon triplets, and a nice story, feel like just cheering them on
Saint Seiya Omega - its like perfect shonen for me, everything is good except yuna

Enjoy
Accel World
Eureka Seven AO
Medaka Box
Kuroko no Basuke
Jormungand
Zetman
Shining Hearts ~ Shiawase no Pan
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? OF THE DEAD
Naruto SD: Rock Lee no Seishun Full-Power Ninden

Would drop, but still holding out for hope
Sankarea
Fate Zero S2
Sengoku Collection

DiGiKerot

AKB0048 3 - Wow, that's one brutal selection process they've got there.

Also, I couldn't stop laughing throughout the entire second half. I'm not sure if this makes me a terrible person or not, but AKB0048 has, for another week, managed to astonish by raising it's game!

I've recently decided to go on a Masaaki Osumi marathon. This meant going through the early, early Green Jacket Lupin episodes he directed, and other stuff he's done like Moomin and Hashire! Melos. Guy never gets enough respect for the influence he's had on anime direction—if weren't for him, then Shinichiro Watanabe might have just been another Rintaro disciple or something!

>accel world
>greater than AO, Lupin, Hyouka,
Costanza%20Wonka.jpg
Agreed. Eps 3, 4 of Fujikoike might have been middling compared to the other episodes, but they're not enough to bring the whole series down that far.

Hiiro no Kakera 7
tumblr_m3mnwvK1La1qcff4ao4_250.gif

Episode felt so short. I didnt realize I was actually that into it until the ending theme played as they were talking. Tamaki, Tamayuri-hime, is finally serious about taking part in protecting.
Almost thought everyone would abandon here but Im glad the friendship was eventually reconciled and improved, if she can warm their hearts and enter then I will be glad, a less cold Takuma and Mahiro will be good

survivor

Banned
Watching

Saint Seya Omega - Solid shounen action. Don't really have any major complaints and I wasn't really hyping the show at all since I never knew who is behind it and I never cared for the franchise before so I'm not really disappointed by anything

Space Bros - Mutta is one of the best characters this season. It's really a joy to see him grow and accomplish his dreams.

Upotte - Biggest hit of the season. Who knew moe gun girls doing cute things and being abused by Sako can be so much fun. Hope they can keep up the crazy comedy in the future

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia - Ghost girl is really perfect waifu material. Anime has been improving after each episode and Yuuko is a great character. Also really love the visuals they use for the backgrounds, some of them are beautiful.

Kuroko no Basuke - Good sports anime about bros being bros and playing basketball.

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san - The comedy at times are good, but the anime kinda gets boring when they are not doing anything crazy. But who cares, the characters are cute and they do fun things

Mysterious Girlfriend X - Love it. One of my favourite romance anime. The MC isn't someone who is afraid of girls and he is pretty crazy for following Urabe. Also it helps that the pacing is solid and I never feel bored most of the times. Only problem is that I still can't handle the drool

Ginga e Kickoff - Best sports anime of the season. Characters are fun and I like the premise

Kore wa Zombie Desuka? Of the Dead - Still funny like the first season. Though I might drop it when it gets serious

Will Watch Later

Kids on the Slope - Art style is extremely ugly but I'm hearing that pacing is solid. So will watch it when it's almost done just to breeze through it

Tsuritama - I have watched most of Kenji Nakamura anime when they are done so I really enjoyed marathoning them. Planning to keep the tradition with Tsuritama. Though it's really hard not to give in and not just watch it after constantly seeing all the amazing visuals

Hyouka - Will watch for visuals alone. Just waiting for it to have more episodes. Maybe I will watch it in the summer season when I won't be watching as many anime

Sankarea - I dropped this after the first episode but I'm hearing it goes back to the tone of the manga. So I will get back to it.

Catching Up

Phi Brain - Was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this anime. The writing and scenarios are like YGO level but the characters and the puzzles make it all worth it.

Bodacious Space Pirates - Pacing has problems and it's boring when they leave space but piracy action and Marika/Chiaki are fun

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Roukyuubu 2

rkbep2_zpsf599b9e2.jpg

Ok, I still hate the casting. I still hate the art style. I still hate the various cues done because of the target audience.

However, at least it's a show now, with some of the cast now being characters.

Or is it, they went back to being moeblob maids.

jman2050

Roukyuubu 2

rkbep2_zpsf599b9e2.jpg

Ok, I still hate the casting. I still hate the art style. I still hate the various cues done because of the target audience.

That hand, how?

duckroll

AKB0048 Ep3

This is true entertainment. This is true idol life. Idolmaster got it all wrong. AKB0048 shows us the truth behind the harsh audition regime of idols of today, and the amazing drama, comedy, and emotions that come out of rivalries and bonding in the selection process! Kawamori has really outdone himself with this series. When he promised that he would use the best that anime had to offer to create a new form of entertainment series, we should have taken him seriously! :D

Brazil

Acchi Kocchi 6

People with diabetes would probably die if they watched this show.

Poor Mayoi. 2 out of 3 skits end up with her almost dying.

Did that guy just suggest putting salt in the watermelon? (Edit: Wait, this is a thing? It makes it sweeter? Whaaaa...)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Mysterious Girlfriend X] – 6

Hey, look at that. They actually went somewhere with their relationship!

Saliva is the bond that unites us all.

Jex

[Space Brothers] - 6 & 7

I really feel like I wouldn't enjoy this material in most other shows, but for some reason I find it oddly charming here. This is pretty much thanks to the likeable cast, I can't help but like them. It's really as simple as that.

I guess it's list time?

Watching and really enjoying:
Fate/Zero: Looks very nice, stuff is finally happening, etc, etc.
Hyouka: It's so pretty, I am enjoying the mystery of the week, and so pretty.
Tsuritama: Fishing is fun! It still looks nice and just enjoyable to watch.

Watching and liking it:
Accel World: Just recently with stuff happening instead of moping about BLACK SNOW PRINCESS SENPAI!
Acchi Kocchi: The cutest thing ever.
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san: Enough references to fill out a blogspot.
Kuroko no Basket: A relative surprise due to disliking of the sport, but everything other than the sport has been great.
Medaka Box: Standard shounen stuff that happens at school.
Naruto SD: Pretty funny with not taking itself seriously whatsoever
Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki: Roundcats are awesome
Sakamichi no Apollon: Jazz and bros makes it a good series. Can't bring myself to care too much about the love triangles though.
Sankarea: Really didn't expect zombie girlfriend to be a decent show.

Watching for a trainwreck:
Sengoku Collection: How much worse can the next episode be?
Shining Hearts: Rick's bread can only be good for so long.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
[Space Brothers] - 6 & 7

I really feel like I wouldn't enjoy this material in most other shows, but for some reason I find it oddly charming here. This is pretty thanks to the likeable cast, I can't help but like them. It's really as simple as that.

Basically, fun things are fun?

Steroyd

Accel World - 06

Er... yeah. Felt like a character introduction episode, where the character was introduced in the last 3 minutes.

Kuroko's Basketball - 06

*facepalm*

Geez, why not just say out and out say BLACK MUSCLES and be done with it, thinking on it, I'm surprised it took this long.

Hunter x Hunter - 31

This episode is interesting, but not because of the content, but because in the original they largely cut out the fight with Kastro altogether, with a severed limb being off camera at all times, but in the remake Hisoka is catching limbs like they're juggling balls on cam.

Of course it all evens out with people being made of dust instead of blood. lol

Ultimadrago

Space Brothers 7

H9b7g.jpg

Apo happy.

This episode we see a way in how Mutta deals with his troubled times. Hibito isn't the best
counselor
, but does what is in his expressive thought to remind Mutta of why he's here.

Still likable mains along with a couple of the side characters.

That said, average episode for Space Bros for me. Not a 'bad' thing, of course. Look forward to next week.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Ooh, lists?

Watching because they are awesome:

Nyaruko
AkibaRanger
Moretsu Pirates
Smile Precure
Apollon
Space Bros

Watching because there's hope for these:

Lupin
Sankarea
Tsuritama
Upotte
MGX
SSO

Watching because why the hell not:

Kuromajo
Hyouka
AO
Ginga E Kickoff

Watching because I hate myself:

AKB0048
Sengoku Collection

Everything else is either put on indefinite hold or dropped; my 2 and a half week trip really messed up my schedule. :(

Jex

Roukyuubu 2

rkbep2_zpsf599b9e2.jpg

Well, as long as you're suffering.

Articalys

Lists? Eh, it's around the half-way season mark, why not. In vague order of how much I'm looking forward to each show each week on average:

Fate/Zero 2nd Season
Hyouka
Sakamichi no Apollon
Uchuu Kyoudai
Tsuritama
AKB0048
Nazo no Kanojo X
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
Jormungand
Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna
Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle 2
SKET Dance