• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Some of these lists are too complicated.

Watching

Fate/Zero
Fujiko
Kids on the Slope
Space Brothers
Mysterious Girlfriend X
Eureka Seven Ao
AKB 0048
Tsuritama
Kyonami's Cure for Insomnia

Dropped

Zetman
Saint Seyia
Sankarea
Upotte
Medexa Box

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Lupin III - Woman Named Mine Fujiko 06

MineFujiko.png

Yuruyuri.png

2 minutes later :

1225021_o.gif

Damn it all!

Watching until the end and enjoying thoroughly:

Space Brothers
Accel World
Sankarea
Dusk Maiden
Phi Brain s2
Kore wa zombie desu ka? of the dead
Nyaruko

Watching until the end because I like the source and/or it's short

Zetman
Medaka Box
Upotte!
Shiba Inuko-san

May drop at some point

Saint Seiya Omega
Tsuritama
Fate/Zero s2
Rock Lee

Dropped

Apollon
Lupin

Watching from previous seasons

Sket Dance
One Piece
Toriko
Fairy Tail
Aquarion Evol
Recorder to Randsell
Hunter x Hunter r

Makoto

Watching and eagerly awaiting every episode:
Space Brothers
Shining Hearts
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
Sankarea
Mysterious Girlfriend X
Accel World
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san

Watching but had I not caught it while it was airing, I probably would have dropped it:
Kids on the Slope
Bodacious Space Pirates
Jormungand
Tsuritama
Upotte!!
Hyouka
Natsuiro Kiseki
Recorder and blah

Dropped:
Medeka Box
Acchi Kochi
Lupin
Saki
Seiya Omega
AKB0048 (I have yet to actually drop but as soon as I watch episode 3, I will drop it)

duckroll

Half-season mark report card:

Fate/Zero S2 (6 episodes aired) - Best of the season, outstanding quality and content. 10/10

Saint Seiya Omega (7 episodes aired) - Stopped watching after ep5 because it got into a stupid tournament arc, will probably resume next week when the bad stuff is over. Inconsistent quality, disrespectful to oldschool Saint Seiya. Some cool fights, Yuna is cute when she isn't drawn by amateurs. 6/10

AKB0048 (3 episodes aired) - Amazing entertainment. Everything humanity feared about the natural evolution of anime... and more. Kawamori has many more lessons from the mountain for everyone. 48/10

Hyouka (4 episodes aired) - Boring but beautiful. A very high quality production with tons of attention to fine detail and layouts. Solid direction. Content is a snooze-fest, and the scripts aren't very smart. 6.5/10

Fujiko the Turd (6 episodes aired) - Very unique direction for the Lupin franchise, but ultimately unsuitable for the characters, with a focus on a terrible lead. Quality ranges from painful to enjoyable depending on episodic subject matter and direction, but never really feels truly amazing. 7/10

Kids on the Slope (5 episodes aired) - Solid production with great pacing and interesting content and characters. The direction moves a bit too quickly at the expense of developing the supporting characters, but the two leads have a solid relationship and the music is fantastic. 9/10

Tsuritama (5 episodes aired) - Very colorful visuals and excellent upbeat music tracks accompany a quirky tale about how a boy bonds with an alien through the art of fishing. It's really kinda strange most of the time, and sometimes funny. Unfortunately I find fishing a bore, so I can't enjoy the show as much as I otherwise would. 7.5/10

Eureka Seven AO (5 episodes aired) - Put 3 parts Eureka Seven and 2 parts RahXephon into a blender, and sprinkle generous amounts of moe. Mix well for 4-5 minutes. Let the mixture set for an hour. Meanwhile heat some solid art backgrounds in a hot pan until it melts evenly, then pour in a prepared mixture of top grade mecha animation and storyboards. When the ingredients are well sauteed, add into the blender and blend again. Let combined mixture refrigerate overnight before baking it in the oven for 3 hours. 8/10

Fate/Zero Tier

Fate/Zero - Ufotable has elevated themselves above the level of normal TV anime. Great stuff.

Loving

Kids on the Slope - It feels like it's been tailor-made for my tastes, with its focus on music and relationship drama. The performance scenes are great, and I love the attention to detail. The visual style doesn't work all the time and I wish the pacing was slower, but I do love what we're getting.

Space Brothers - Really great show, well-made with lovable characters. Production values could be higher, but it doesn't seriously impact my enjoyment.

Tsuritama - The visual style is striking and attractive, there's some really nice animation, and the characters are engaging and relatable. Its biggest weakness is that fishing is a drag, but it does its best to make it entertaining.

Mysterious Girlfriend X - Quirky, compelling teenage romance.

Liking

Hyouka - The audiovisual experience is fabulous and the content is inoffensive and pleasant enough, if I would have preferred more serious mysteries.

Lupin - After the novelty of the art style wore off and we got past the well-done first episode, the poor choices of this show became increasingly obvious. Still has its moments though.

Ginga e Kickoff - Solid soccer show with an infectious enthusiasm.

Poyopoyo - Cats! Better than it should be.

Yurumates 3D - Entertaining enough for these sorts of shorts.

On-hold

Saint Seiya Omega - The last episode I watched was episode 3, which was great, and I'm sure there'll be more episodes like it in the future, but impressions haven't made me want to keep watching. The show as a whole is going to be so inconsistent, and the story so lazy at times, that I'm not sure if I'll be able to return even for Umakoshi.

Dropped

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia - I know everyone says it gets better, but I can't bring myself to believe them. I'll just read the manga.

Jormungand - Lame action, too many poorly-fleshed-out characters, dull.

Sankarea - First three episodes were great, but then the fourth episode lost all appeal. Will keep an eye out for Shinichi Omata in the future though.

Shirokuma Cafe - It's not terrible, but it's not particularly interesting enough to be worth my time. Much of the humor doesn't work.

Zetman - The incredibly rushed pacing wastes a premise with potential and some fine action animation. I'll just read the manga.

Huh, I find it curious that none of you guys are watching Saki.

I did watch an episode; I find it rather dull with no reason to care about the characters and what was happening to them. Not enough melodramatic mahjong action.

Ultimadrago

Fate/Zero 19

7QRti.jpg

The gangsta life is a hard life.

Beads.

Bees
?

Beads.

Bees
?

Happy
Mother's Day!

The details in the cockpit, Natalia, CG bees. They all added something to this episode. I preferred the polarizing contrasting tone of last week's episode more, but this was a good watch for the day. It has fleshed out the character to a good degree and now I am ready to confront them (and cast of new pals!) again in the coming episode.

Extra note:
One of Kiritsugu's ending expressions was very eye-catching, I'm sure everyone got a hold of it (where he gets bug eyes like Caster). Really good.

9Nm3I.jpg

One down.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
More people need to watch polar bear cafe.

It is quite possibly the best show of the season.
I just didn't find it very funny. When people joke about how Nichijou exists for the .gifs I actually feel that way about Polar Bear Cafe.

Jex

[Wasurenagumo]

A dire warning to otaku everywhere and pretty enjoyable to boot. Sadly, I feel they will fail to head this call.

Anyway, this is just one in a long running tradition of anime in the vein. I guess that just goes to show that this has been a problem for awhile!

For those interested, the timeline looks like this:

Presence (1987) -> Le Portrait de Petit Cossette (2004) -> Wasurenagumo (2012)

There's probably a few more as well.

Smile Precure director Takashi Otsuka is having trouble with his show's fans:

I'd like people to stop creating stills of broadcast images, editing and collaging them [or photoshopping], and posting them on the Internet. We're troubled by complaints from people who are mistaking them as what was actually broadcast. Taking that situation into account, there are cases where the production of the original story has been forced to comply with essentially unnecessary regulation.

Also, [the fanart in question] is simply not pleasant. On the Internet many people of all ages can seem it. I'm glad you're enjoying the show, but I beg you to please keep in mind the moral aspect of it being made for children. My ability as a director is poor, but next week we'd like to broadcast some more fun stuff.

He's admitting his ability as a director is poor?

Also, I don't think he understands how the internet works if he was expecting completely wholesome fanart.

tiff

Banned
He's admitting his ability as a director is poor?

Also, I don't think he understands how the internet works if he was expecting completely wholesome fanart.
I don't think he's talking about fanart so much as people taking images/gifs from the show that look lewd out of context.

edit: or photoshopping them to look lewd.

Branduil

Extended thoughts on Wasurenagumo

This was definitely one of the most sakuga of the YAT projects, up there with Kizuna Ichigeki. The scene in the old house in particular had some stunning examples of character movement, but the animation quality was high throughout the entire show. The character designs are varied and interesting and are well-designed for movement. The background art and lighting was also quite good.

il8up49PSKjnp.gif

I haven't seen the staff listed for this yet, but the director obviously shows a lot of promise. The editing in this, with how things flow from one shot to the next, is quite strong. There is also heavy use of parallelism and foreshadowing, through the use of the legends about the giant spiders. It drives expectations and anticipation in a way that is very effective. Even so, the ending is still pretty surprising because anime has trained us to expect that
the "twist" will be that the spider-girl is actually friendly and helpful. So when it initially looks as though the spider-girl has saved them, the viewer lets down their guard.
Which means the director has you exactly where he wants you. This is a good example of an earned twist, as opposed to something that would truly be impossible to predict.

In retrospect, Wasurenagumo makes some very apparent commentary on otaku fandom. Of course the themes can be applied much wider to that, I just like to apply it there since this is anime we're talking about.
The historic book experts represent otaku, while Mizuki represents a normal person. Mizuki's initial reaction to the spider girl is disgust and horror, while Suzuri is instantly entranced. And notice how the historians share an understanding on the strange events that occur, and are not surprised by things a normal person finds unusual like monsters sealed in books. Of course, the reason for this is made clear by the final scene, where we see that the old historian also has a "monster waifu" of some kind. In this light, Suzuri not caring about Mizuki's death is not surprising at all. After all, hardcore otaku don't care about normal women as long as they have their waifus. They are perfectly willing to discard and replace a willful and "bossy" real girl with one made in their image, but fully dependent on them. Suzuri, of course, believes he is following his own pure desires, while in reality he's being manipulated by a large and tangled web of forces beyond his vision.
Surely when people look up the definition of deconstruction in the future an image of Wasurenagumo will be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom