• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
My rankings right now...

1. Bodacious Space Pirates - It's the best show of the year, and of course the best of this season too.
2. Saki Achiga-hen: Episode of Side-A - Disappointing compared to the first season, but I like the franchise enough that it's in first (of the new shows) even so.
3. Tasogare Otome x Amnesia - Very good so far, and getting better.
4. Polar Bear Cafe - So ridiculously, absurdly cute...
5. Natsuiro Kiseki - Pretty good.
6. Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA3 - good fun, too bad it's not a full season.
7. Upotte! - it has some pretty good parts, and some really bad parts... averages out to midrange.
8. Haiyore! Nyaruko-san - somewhat mediocre at times, but amusing.
9. Mysterious Girlfriend X - I'm losing interest in this one fast... I don't know, it's okay, but...
10. Yurumates 3D - it's okay, but really short episodes of course.
11. Medaka Box - Haven't watched in several weeks, not sure if I'll drop (perhaps)
12. Naruto SD: Rock Lee's Adventures - Haven't watched an episode of this in a while. Might drop. It's not that good.

Haven't watched yet but will: Hyouka, Lupin III

Instro

Saki 6

6XlENl.jpg

Loli-crying-smiling-flashback-scarf moe for Solune.

Why is her hand deformed?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd say Space Brothers is my best show of the season as it is the one show that I find myself looking forward to each week.

sonicmj1

Awesome Tier
Space Bros
Lupin
Fate/Zero
Apollon

Good Tier
Tsuritama
Sankarea
Hyouka

Maybe Mediocre Enough to Drop Tier
Eureka 7 AO

Dropped Tier
Nothing!

I'm so happy with this season.

7Th

Best
-Hyouka: I really like the mood and tone and DAT KYOANI quality, the only thing I'm not really enjoying is the Eru character they're relying on to sell the cute factor, the tomboy is way better.

Good
-Apollon: Quality anime, I'm just not really loving it myself. Most of the characters feel like glorified plot devices.
-Lupin: Too inconsistent for its own good but it has more hits than misses for me.

OK
-Eureka Seven AO: First two episodes were wonderful, then it got Bones'd. Still entretaining, I guess.
-Saint Yuna Omega: Yuna should have been the main character; maybe even the entire cast.
-Space Bros: By far the cheesiest, campiest show of the season but the main character somewhat saves it.

Dropped
-Tsuritama: The characters are annoying as hell.
-AKB0048: Somehow not crazy enough for me to forgive how it's literally a show about self-felliatio.

SakugaMAD makers are the only ones not slightly disappointed with this season.

survivor

Banned
Kuroko's Basketball 4

Yeah they really underpowered Kise. There is no way he is supposed to be part of the best 5 players if he can't even handle Kagami or Kuroko. Not to mention his team was about the same strength as Kuroko's team which was kinda BS considering Kise was in a nationals level team.

Let's hope the other 4 players are stronger or pose a bigger challenge.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia - I know everyone says it gets better, but I can't bring myself to believe them. I'll just read the manga.
What did you watch, one or two episodes? Watch it again -- because yeah, it doesn't just get a little better, it gets a LOT better. A whole lot better. Each one of the first four episodes is a significant improvement over the previous one.

I did watch an episode; I find it rather dull with no reason to care about the characters and what was happening to them. Not enough melodramatic mahjong action.
You stopped watching too soon. There's a lot of that in the first four episodes, but ep. 5 changes the focus to the mahjong, and expect that to continue through to the end -- there's a lot of exciting mahjong to cover, that's for sure!

... However, it is almost as much a sequel as it is a spinoff, so you have seen the original show, right? If not, you will get a lot less out of Achiga-hen, I admit.

Smile Precure director Takashi Otsuka is having trouble with his show's fans:
Otaku are scary.

More people need to watch polar bear cafe.

It is quite possibly the best show of the season.
I don't know, people who love cute animals might not want to.. would they survive the constant onslaught of adorable animals?

Huh, I find it curious that none of you guys are watching Saki.
Yeah, it's certainly the best show that few people here are watching. #2 would be Panda Bear Cafe.

I can't see a single reason to watch Saki, especially from what I've read and seen of the first one.
If you liked either the original manga or anime at all, your problem should be coming up with any reasons why you SHOULDN'T be watching, not the other way around...

Upotte - Because the way Doomed1 put it I got the feeling I'm not allowed to watch this unless I can properly take into account the refined intricacies of anthropomorphised loli gun moe as well as its deep, rich educational value and potential in order to give the subject matter the proper respect it deserves so I'll just say the show is shit and call it a day.
Upotte's problem is that it is, without question, both of those things at the same time.

Two of the worst characters ever versus two others of the worst characters ever? How do you choose?

... Against Accelerator, of course, because at least Touma and Index are just really annoying, not serial killers, but still, that's not a nice matchup...

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Ginga e Kickoff 2

WXXcc.jpg

Hard to blame her, she did choose the sexiest out of them all ^^

Lots of off model and we're only in the second episode. :( At least they're using what budget they have effectively on all the football scenes!

kIH9b.jpg

Take notes, Accel world!

Simply by virtue of a lack of shonen haato power ups this episode was better than the first. The Triplet Demons' introduction was good too, I guess they'll be the focus of the next episode.

wVXra.jpg

O budget, where art thou?

I'm guessing this is going to be longer than just 12 or 13 episodes, if it can keep up this level of quality I'll stick with it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Ginga e Kickoff 2

Lots of off model and we're only in the second episode. :( At least they're using what budget they have effectively on all the football scenes!

That's a constant in the series, unfortunately. They put the money where it really matters - and by that, I mean football animation and BGM, haha.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Menma vs. Erio

Envelope on suicide watch.

pshhhh

Menma doesn't stand a chance against Erio

That's a constant in the series, unfortunately. They put the money where it really matters - and by that, I mean football animation and BGM, haha.

It's good they're using what they have effectively! Though it would be nice to have slightly better scenes the rest of the time. :(

Kuroko's Basketball 4

Yeah they really underpowered Kise. There is no way he is supposed to be part of the best 5 players if he can't even handle Kagami or Kuroko. Not to mention his team was about the same strength as Kuroko's team which was kinda BS considering Kise was in a nationals level team.

Let's hope the other 4 players are stronger or pose a bigger challenge.

Youre excluding Kurokicchi from the Generation of Mirackes? Kise was consistently stated to be the weakest of the others.

My rankings right now...

Good idea.

1. Kore wa zombie desu ka? of the dead
2. Accel World
3. Space Brothers
4. Sankarea
5. Dusk Maiden
6. Phi Brain s2
7. Nyaruko
8. Zetman
9. Medaka Box (likely to rise depending on how far it gets)
10. Tsuritama
11. Saint Seiya Omega
12. Upotte!
13. Fate/Zero s2 (potentially dropping)
14. Rock Lee (potentially dropping)
15. Shiba Inuko-san
16. Lupin (dropped)
17. Apollon (dropped)

Makoto

Birdy the Mighty: Decode 1-5

Had I just gone with the typical three episode impressions, I'd probably be singing a different tune. Birdy is a show that is very efficient with its art. It's got good animation, sustained by two interesting leads and good dialogue, but there was something about the first three episodes that didn't hook me in. Then I watched episodes 4 and 5 and it struck me: I don't care at all about Senkawa's school life. Once Birdy and Senkawa
left Earth and went to her planet, I was hooked.
This show became Saturday morning levels of good entertainment. Seeing the teamwork beginning to flourish between Birdy and Senkawa is great. As episode 5 concluded however and Senkawa
receives I text from Sayaka about her party, dread swept over me, this show is going to back to his boring school life.
Now I just have to see if his school life serves a greater purpose to the show. Aside from that, give me more of this Birdy alien.

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai 12 (FINAL)

But seriously speaking, I'm still very indecisive about this show. So you've got this otaku who loves to exercise his conquest of 2D in games and now has to exercise that same "skill," in the 3D world. You know, if this were a live-action series, written for live-action characters, then perhaps the execution would have been better. The thing about this show is that, at the end of the day, it's still anime. It's still about a guy capturing 2D tsunderes, yanderes and fragile moe characters so it feels like I've just watched some self-aware adaptation of a visual novel (but yes, I know it's adapted from a manga). There was no message. No development worth citing. I mean, it nearly gets there such as Keima discussing the differences between 2D and 3D idols during the Kanon arc but I think that's as far the series goes
(and it really bothered me that it had disclaimer saying to the extent of "Opinions expressed are only the views of the main character." I don't know if that for comedic purposes because I didn't laugh).
I don't think I even like Keima that much as a lead character. The chemistry between him and Elsie is nothing memorable aside from him treating her like crap sometimes.

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai has got to be one of those rare shows where I watched it for the premise. So much to the point where it would not have bothered me if the series just totally replaced the characters out of nowhere. I do have to give it points for having the only Engrish OP in recent memory that I really like. 2/5

soc

Fate Zero 19

Major Rakkyo vibes from this scene:

Absolutely terrific final scene.
Natalia taking the plane without Kiritsugu pretty much a giveaway. As soon as Kiritsugu cut the engine, I knew what was coming, but as usual the execution was great.
Happy mother's day AnimeGaf!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Dropped
-Tsuritama: The characters are annoying as hell.
-AKB0048: Somehow not crazy enough for me to forgive how it's literally a show about self-felliatio.
You fucker, we can't be friends anymore :( :( :(

On the other hand I feel validated by your opinion on Hyouka. Cuz I really loved the first episode.

7Th

You fucker, we can't be friends anymore :( :( :(

On the other hand I feel validated by your opinion on Hyouka. Cuz I really loved the first episode.

AKB0048 is literally like watching a guy suck himself off; there is so much of that I can take.

Saint Seiya Omega 7
tumblr_m3zkl00WeF1qbxqfpo1_500.png

I wasnt ready for the matchup, it was too hard to decide who to cheer on. I like both Souma and Kouga and wanted them both to succeed even. It was actually really epic of a fight and even had the instrumental Pegasus Fantasy come on which pumped me up.
Souma did his best but again he found himself at a loss. Hopefully Kouga inspired him to practice and grow stronger so that he too can become a strong Saint!.

Yuna still seems to be a useless deadweight
though her opponent was a random fodder, she honestly struggled against him...
, her transformation sequence is the worst of the bunch, what kind of pose was that.

wonzo

Banned
Saint Seiya Omega 7

Now that's more like it! While it's still focused on the dumb school fighting tournament shit it looks like that'll be over and done with in an ep or two. Yuna's transformation sequence was Umakoshi as fuck!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Hyouka 4

Everything. Is. So. Pretty.

Yes: the stuff this series is about is boring. But it's so well-made that I can't help but keep watching. The animation is great, the backgrounds are gorgeous, and the different visual effects and tricks KyoAni uses when portraying theories about the "mysteries" keep things interesting and hold my attention.

It was cool having someone other than Oreki figuring stuff out for a change. Well, it was just a little detail discussed in the beginning of the episode, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom