• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyouka 4
tumblr_m3zkufZomw1qzd219o1_500.gif

The pre bike ride conversation and bike ride conversation were my favorite parts. Satoshi is hilarious. The way the meeting was handled was great though Ibara had pointless chatter and Chitanda needed to calm down, as usual. Pretty funny how Satoshi would keep getting them to change from location to location. He and Oreki really make the anime for me. Probably one of my favorite duos this season.

I liked the return of the animation and visual genjutsus (oreki and all the jpn characters flowing by)
That cant really be all there was to the background of the cultural festival also seems like a huge punishment for it, explusion over just protesting it being shortened, though did that really make him a legend?

Makoto

Hyouka 4
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zkufZomw1qzd219o1_500.gif[img]
The pre bike ride conversation and bike ride conversation were my favorite parts. Satoshi is hilarious. The way the meeting was handled was great though Ibara had pointless chatter and Chitanda needed to calm down, as usual. Pretty funny how Satoshi would keep getting them to change from location to location. He and Oreki really make the anime for me. Probably one of my favorite duos this season.

I liked the return of the animation and visual genjutsus (oreki and all the jpn characters flowing by)[spoiler] That cant really be all there was to the background of the cultural festival also seems like a huge punishment for it, explusion over just protesting it being shortened, though did that really make him a legend?[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
Between this episode and [spoiler]some kid smoking in a classroom[/spoiler] Hyouka is quickly demonstrating just how lackluster school life can be in Japan.

Lain

Mai-Hime 20-26

Can't believe I wrote a post about the last 7 episodes of Mai-Hime, but forgot to post before turning the PC off and going to sleep.

Anyways, the last episodes were nice, especially when
Shizuru lost it after being found out, which also had Haruka having the best death scene
, but the Mai/Tate thing still was quite laughable for me.
The twist at the end
with everyone coming back to life
I knew about, but it wasn't that bad, mostly because the tone of the show never had a constant that made such a choice feel off to me.
I liked the music and the way it was used, made certain fight scenes feel cooler.
Character wise, I mostly disliked only Tate and Noa, with Mai disappointing me during the break down episodes for acting like an idiot. Haruka gained a lot of points during the run. Mikoto is the best though.

Phi Brain 2 ep 6
tumblr_m3zp9vdhWb1qb9i9c.png

Really fun episode even without Kaito in main action
though the scene with the puzzle tea cub and him trying to solve it was fun
. Q chan got the attention he needed and next time
he better win
. Orpheus Order treats Jikukawa so bad :(

Cwarrior

Saint seiya omega 4

Since when did lighting beat earth, these guys must of never made past brock in pokemon

If this what the show calls a good fight then I see a lot of problems in it's future.

This show has nothing going for it or anything to differentiate itself, so bad it makes me appreciate even the shounens am bashing all the time like naruto and bleach it makes those look like the second coming.

Turns out gaffs animu staff hype squad have egg on there face once again.

NewFresh

Roukyuubu 2

Ok, I still hate the casting. I still hate the art style. I still hate the various cues done because of the target audience.

However, at least it's a show now, with some of the cast now being characters.

Or is it, they went back to being moeblob maids.

I hope you showered.

survivor

Banned
So I was watching this Lebanese talk show and they were talking about Detective Conan and anime in the Arab world. Apparently there was a case where 17 teenagers committed suicide hoping to be brought back. Supposedly this was based on a storyline from Detective Conan though I don't ever recall something like this.

Was really surprised by the reaction. Instead of outright calling for banning of anime and Detective Conan or something crazy like this, they were talking about how TV channels should put more emphasis on rating to mention things like blood or violence in kids anime and how parents should actually pay more attention to what their kids are watching.

Shining Hearts 05
5W8bI.gif

Not|Tipo is absolutely adorable.
Not sure why the fifth episode is suddenly the episode where terrible shows decide to have a decent episode, with this one and Sengoku Collection deciding to do something decent for episode number five but I'm ok with it. I mean there was more bread, but Not|Tipo is pretty adorable and NEW PARTY MEMBER is somewhat different than those three girls.

Next week is suddenly plot!

Bleach Movie 4: Hell Verse

YNMi6.jpg

What indeed.

Well if this isn't a sakuga film, I apparently don't fully understand the concept. It seems to be very well produced/animated and looks cool as hell in many spots. This definitely has movie-quality production values and it shows in the many fights despite the occasional rough spot.

This was clearly supposed to be a semi-canon tie-in similar to One Piece's own Strong World, even though it doesn't fit anywhere within the series timeline without contradicting other plot points. It basically felt like a typical Bleach arc on fast-forward, which is both good and bad.

A good 80% of the film consisted of fights with very minimal exposition sprinkled in between. Since this is Bleach, I wouldn't expect or want any less. Most of them were really friggin cool. Some very well done choreography coupled with a real sense of impact and tension (or at least as much tension as there can be in a film of a long-running shounen series). I think I was most impressed with the main trio's battle prior to their individual fights. Of course, those individual ones were a real disappointment compared to the other ones, especially Rukia's.
She used the SAME stupid asspull strategy that she used against Aaroniero!

qhRuX.jpg

I don't care how generic this is, I still love when people do it.

While I did like the villains and their fights, I really wasn't a fan of the designs at all. There's a level of quality I've come to expect from Kubo's stylish art, and this movie did not uphold that. It isn't hard to determine that these are filler enemies. This guy in particular felt off.

yA9dN.jpg

That mouth makes him seem like a poor man's Zommari.

And of course there's the main new guy, Kokuto. The character himself was rather bare, having a somewhat standard back story that wasn't really touched upon. However, the outstanding performance by Kazuya Nakai really made me appreciate the guy. Definitely the perfect casting for such a
crazy villain.

As cool as it was, I do wish Kubo took a real crack at a Hell arc. Outside of Zero Squad and the king, I always found it to be the most alluring mystery in the series, something I expected to be fleshed out down the line. Instead, we get a little adventure that doesn't really give us a good idea of the culture of Hell or its inhabitants.

TJ3Nd.jpg

I want to see more of the Kushanda, one of hell's intimidating guardians.

But despite my grievances with some wasted potential within the overarching plot and design, I thought this was great. These fights are really some of the best Bleach has to offer and I would love if the final arc got animated like this. I'm almost motivated to go back to the show, but I know it would be disappointing after this.

8.8492/10

Watching: Fate/Zero, Sakamichi no Apollon, Accel World
Resigned to the eternal backlog: Nyaruko, Lupin

I'm jelly of how long everyone else's lists are. I can't be fucked to watch that much.

Bleach Movie 4: Hell Verse

Well if this isn't a sakuga film, I apparently don't fully understand the concept. It seems to be very well produced/animated and looks cool as hell in many spots. This definitely has movie-quality production values and it shows in the many fights despite the occasional rough spot.

This was clearly supposed to be a semi-canon tie-in similar to One Piece's own Strong World, even though it doesn't fit anywhere within the series timeline without contradicting other plot points. It basically felt like a typical Bleach arc on fast-forward, which is both good and bad.

A good 80% of the film consisted of fights with very minimal exposition sprinkled in between. Since this is Bleach, I wouldn't expect or want any less. Most of them were really friggin cool. Some very well done choreography coupled with a real sense of impact and tension (or at least as much tension as there can be in a film of a long-running shounen series). I think I was most impressed with the main trio's battle prior to their individual fights. Of course, those individual ones were a real disappointment compared to the other ones, especially Rukia's.
She used the SAME stupid asspull strategy that she used against Aaroniero!

While I did like the villains and their fights, I really wasn't a fan of the designs at all. There's a level of quality I've come to expect from Kubo's stylish art, and this movie did not uphold that. It isn't hard to determine that these are filler enemies. This guy in particular felt off.

And of course there's the main new guy, Kokuto. The character himself was rather bare, having a somewhat standard back story that wasn't really touched upon. However, the outstanding performance by Kazuya Nakai really made me appreciate the guy. Definitely the perfect casting for such a
crazy villain.

As cool as it was, I do wish Kubo took a real crack at a Hell arc. Outside of Zero Squad and the king, I always found it to be the most alluring mystery in the series, something I expected to be fleshed out down the line. Instead, we get a little adventure that doesn't really give us a good idea of the culture of Hell or its inhabitants.

But despite my grievances with some wasted potential within the overarching plot and design, I thought this was great. These fights are really some of the best Bleach has to offer and I would love if the final arc got animated like this. I'm almost motivated to go back to the show, but I know it would be disappointing after this.

8.8492/10

Didn't like how ichigo literally won in the end due to
plot armor
. But yeah, was a fun movie to watch.

cajunator

Banned
MGX 6

urabe's :cajun as fuck

Yes she is. Goddamn.

Watching: Fate/Zero, Sakamichi no Apollon, Accel World
Resigned to the eternal backlog: Nyaruko, Lupin

I'm jelly of how long everyone else's lists are. I can't be fucked to watch that much.

I set aside time for a lot of shows this season. It has been pretty awesome.
I will end up buying about 90% of what has been licensed in spring.

Accel World 06
diFuW.gif

I don't mind having a new hair style every episode.
Man, this show is still running the exposition train and charging full steam ahead.

I set aside time for a lot of shows this season. It has been pretty awesome.
I will end up buying about 90% of what has been licensed in spring.
I envy you. It's not even like I lack the time.
Accel World 06
http://i.imgur.com/diFuW.gif
Man, this show is still running the exposition train and charging full steam ahead.
I'm (unfortunately) pretty confident that the exposition train will not be stopping until the show ends. It just seems like that kind of thing.

Koroviev

I've only really kept up with Apollon so far. Still need to check out Eureka 7 AO, Hyouka, Accel World, Polar Bear Cafe, Fate/Zero, Lupin, Nyaruko, Sankarea and MGX.

I watched the first episode or two of Tsuritama, and while it was fairly enjoyable, there just wasn't anything to compel me to keep watching beyond the vibrant aesthetic.

Edit: Forgot about Space Brothers. Might look into that, too.

Eureka Seven Ep. 21

This was a poorly handled episode. By attempting to not play it straight, they ended up doing a worse job than if they had simply done so. Oh well, it was worth it to see
Ray and Charles kick ass. I love their LFOs.

Accel World 06
diFuW.gif

show is pretty much turning into yugioh (mmo instead of a children card game).

Is this based off some actual game or something? I wouldn't be surprised.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
How can you be visually pretentious? Nisemonogatari is just a visually slapdash mess, like the show before it.

Easy, something is visually pretentious if I don't like it.

Yeah, that was weird as hell.
You don't see a non-canon power-up too often.

Sometimes I wonder if it was only there to
help sales of the upcoming PS3 game that featured the powerup
, hahahah.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Easy, something is visually pretentious if I don't like it.
But it's worse than pretentious, it's just another awkward SHAFT show where a bunch of nobodies poorly imitate Shinbo's style by slapping together shit common in things he did with no real rhyme or reason.

Dresden

Wasurenagumo

That was pretty good. Managed to tell its story competently in the twenty-some minutes it had. Didn't really love it, but I didn't expect it to be as good as Kizuna, anyways.

Never found the spider-girl-thing "moe" or anywhere close to that. Hideous little beast.

cajunator

Banned
I've only really kept up with Apollon so far. Still need to check out Eureka 7 AO, Hyouka, Accel World, Polar Bear Cafe, Fate/Zero, Lupin, Nyaruko, Sankarea and MGX.

I watched the first episode or two of Tsuritama, and while it was fairly enjoyable, there just wasn't anything to compel me to keep watching beyond the vibrant aesthetic.

Edit: Forgot about Space Brothers. Might look into that, too.

Yes, check out Space Bros. Well worth your time.
Also your Yuno avatar is loooooovely.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
But it's worse than pretentious, it's just another awkward SHAFT show where a bunch of nobodies poorly imitate Shinbo's style by slapping together shit common in things he did with no real rhyme or reason.

Not actually trying to get involved in this particular debate; I was only referencing that "pretentious" remains a word that's almost impossible to pin down a definition for when being used in criticism. It's not impossible to back up an assertion that something is pretentious, but it remains pretty hard.

Hah, I didn't realize it was in there. Makes sense then.

I'm actually not sure
whether the movie or the game came first
, but there absolutely had to be some marketing synergy there. I should really get around to
playing the game
anyway, it's basically
Bleach musou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom