• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
PATLABOR 2: THE MOVIE

I saw the first Patlabor movie a little under a year ago. I enjoyed the characters well enough that I put the second movie on my wishlist, and I picked it up recently. I got more excited to see what I was in for as the name "Satoshi Kon" and "Directed by: Mamoru Oshii" appeared in the credits. Okay, maybe Kon was only credited for "Layout," but that still didn't matter to me. I had totally forgotten Oshii ever had a part in these, so I was constantly on the lookout for his calling card. He didn't disappoint.

Story

In the year 2000, the Yokohama Bay Bridge is temporarily on lockdown while officers investigate an anonymous car bomb tip. However, the officers are unable to reach the car before it explodes. However, evidence surfaces of a jet having potentially fired a missile that was actually the cause of the destruction of the bridge. Commander Goto and Commander Nagumo are contacted by an Intelligence Officer named Arakawa, who suspects Nagumo's old teacher, Tsuge, of being behind the attack. The SV2 are tasked with finding Tsuge before he is able to follow through with whatever it is he has planned for Tokyo.

I have to say, I really liked this movie. It had a good balance of content and was well paced. The characters (well, the primary ones), felt well developed and were great to watch bounce off each other. It felt intelligently written, but perhaps they got a little too into throwing around terminology from time to time. It didn't feel out of place, but I felt a little left behind at moments because of my own personal lack of knowledge. The ending, much like in the first movie, felt a little sudden and left me wanting more, but it didn't hamper my overall enjoyment of the film.

The thing that bothered me about the first movie was it felt a little unfocused. There felt this underlying desire to give all of the people on the team their moments or get you at least acquainted enough with them that you would care about what was going on. I'm appreciative that they did that, but it felt like they spent too much time on it. Patlabor 2 felt much more focused on telling the story it wanted to, and it trimmed (for lack of better word) the cast down. It came across as a much tighter experience overall, and I think it really benefited from that. However, when things started to reach the climax of the movie, I didn't really care as much about the actions of the team. They had been largely absent the duration of the movie, so it was a little off-putting to have them suddenly thrown into the limelight. I guess I can't be happy either way, but I think I liked the second's approach more. I'll always take more Goto and Nagumo over getting everyone some screentime, haha.

I think I'll save my thoughts on themes for my "final thoughts" part at the bottom...

Presentation

Wow. I think I would recommend people watch this purely on the basis of how good the presentation was. The animation and background art was fantastic, the camera work and framing of scenes was excellent, the attention to details (like reflections showing up in a car window when interior lights came on or the slight shift in balance a person makes when an elevator stops) were really above and beyond. I listened to it in japanese, but the voice work was really well done, from my ignorant perspective on the language. Really, just everything about this was spectacular. The minutia they put so much work into really helped to sell the entire package, and the really grand strokes they put hard work into were complimented even more by the smaller parts.

Scenes really sold the tone immediately, and there were some really well constructed (I guess montages? I'm not sure if they would classify, but I'll call them montages) montages that paralleled spoken and unspoken content very well. It's nice to have animation that remembers it's a visual story telling medium and doesn't fall back entirely on exposition to relay everything. That's not to say that doesn't happen (oh boy, does it), but it's used much more for expressing attitudes and character opinions more than the philosophical stuff the actual dialogue dumps do. Thank you for showing me character reactions instead of telling!

Heck, the amount of work they put into recreating video distortion effects and shots with reflections on the exteriors of buildings were worth watching this for. Just really top notch stuff all around.

Final Thoughts

Okay, let's talk on some themes!
I don't intend on making any real significant points or draw any extreme conclusions, but this is more just me thinking aloud, and I'm letting you read along, if you want. : )
I wanted to cover the visual themes first, but I realized they all tied back into the central theme of the movie too strongly to bother discussing them without at least examining the central theme. Just going to spoiler everything to save myself the effort, haha.

The central theme of the film comes up during a conversation off-screen between Arakawa and Goto. In it, they talk about "illusory peace vs. just war." They discuss how, though Japan has not actively fought on the front lines in any war for over fifty years, they fool themselves into thinking they're innocent, despite their advancements in technology contributing greatly to the wars of other nations. Goto states he would rather live in this illusory peace than take part in a just war. Most just wars, Arakawa reasons, are easy to have justified at the time, given that all major wars were done in such fashion. It becomes easy to lose perspective when you're so far removed from what your actions are eventually resulting in. Goto asks if he believes Tsuge's goal is to start a war, but Arakawa tells him the war has been going on ever since Tsuge returned to Japan from a Labor exercise in an active war zone.

This specific theme is the very last part of this post I'm writing, as I wanted to get my thoughts down on everything else before I read up on the history of this matter. The very first scene felt much too deliberate in its setting for it to just be some arbitrary choice, so I read up on wikipedia some. It really helps put a lot of the movie into context, and makes a bit more sense why this would be the sort of things Oshii addressed in the film. I didn't think it too out of character, but I just thought it to be a rather interesting decision to examine things like a possible militarization of Japan and the results of what such events could cause or lead to.

Examining Japan's part in both local and global military was something I felt under-qualified to comment on, but I still found the movie's poking and prodding on the ideas to be worth watching. My personal knowledge of Japan's demilitarization is extremely limited, and I still think Tsuge wanting to expose this conversation to the people of Japan as being his only motive was a little weak, but worth looking into. I'm not really sure where my own personal feelings fall at the end of the film, as I'm want to side with Goto's perspective, but Tsuge's desire to make people see the "reality" of things is important. I definitely disagree with his methods, and both raise good points. I suppose I should more applaud the film for leaving me uncertain rather than telling me how I should feel.

Either way, I feel the more universal message that can be taken away from it is the danger of losing perspective of how far your hand reaches and just who really takes the consequences of our actions. I'm glad they ended Nagumo and Tsuge's part in the film with Tsuge looking out at Tokyo from afar, commenting on how it looks like a mirage from where he's at. Despite his intentions, even Tsuge isn't completely safe from falling under the same trappings as others in high places of power.

------------------------------------------------------

Visual themes, now! Probably the two things that came up the most commonly over the course of the film were the use of birds and lights/reflections.

The birds were something I figured were going to be a theme before it ever really started repeating because of how prominent the first one was. Early on in the movie, there is a HUGE image of a hummingbird on the side of a moving truck as a police officer goes to get footage from a group that caught the bridge bombing on film. Next, there were the slow-mo footage of birds in flight on the screens of the station, the bird posters on the wall of the station, the shots of birds on labors (actually had the glowy eyes too), sitting on things in the environment, birds on television before the actual broadcasts came on, circling the blimps, and even in the area of the final showdown. They were everywhere. It was kind of obvious. But what did it mean? I'm still not entirely certain how I feel about my own conclusion, but I would like to think it tied back in with the core theme of Illusory Peace vs. Just War. The birds in the environment were always stationary, while the birds depicted on television, print, or whatever media medium were always engaged in flying or some kind of action. Birds are, of course, a symbol of freedom, so this really easily parallels the illusory peace that the Japanese people are deceiving themselves with. When it comes to the stationary, I'm not entirely sure. Tsuge was completely surrounded by gulls at the end, so they're supposed to have some kind of tie to him, but I'm not sure about their role in the environment. I suppose it was supposed to be more of a real vs. fake, but it just feels like an incomplete execution or I'm not making a connection. Probably the latter, but I'll assume the former until someone tells me otherwise, haha.

The reflections/lights I won't go over much, especially since I'm not even sure it was meant to be a motif, but whatever. During the film, I found myself noting the regular use of lights reflecting either in eyes or hiding eyes from the strong glares on glasses. There were also many cases where reflections of people would show up in windows, cars, or whatever that would most generally not be bothered with. This could just be I.G doing their thing, but I would like to believe it was intentional to match the illusion vs. just stuff. The hi-tech and modern things of society are these very vivid and bright sources of light that very clearly display what is on screen. However, there were two or three (one of these is cheating) cases where the reflection was broken and distorted. When helicopters were invading Tokyo with the express purpose of eliminating the SDF's labors and crippling communication, we got some shots with helicopters passing by skyscrapers where their reflection was fragmented. As well, the initial footage of the jet that had bombed the bridge was shown on a wall of televisions where it was displayed on each screen then filled the entirety of the sets as they flickered on and off with static. Is this meant to show that the world dictated by this illusory peace is unable to comprehend or reflect the ideas and actions of this opposing group? Could be.

The only real disappointment I had in the movie was that Oshii had a big discussion between Goto and Arakawa over shots of the city, bay, and surrounding environment right after they left talking with one another. The reason this scene bothered me was that it introduces the core theme of the movie in it. Perhaps Oshii didn't want any distractions for the viewer while laying it out, but it felt handled rather clumsily in comparison to the rest of the movie. There were only two instances where they used this type of sequential shots of environment, and the second one was very powerful as it showed how people were responding to the occupation of a military presence in their every day lives/city. There were some really powerful moments, but the scene with the philosophical discussion just felt really flat in comparison. I guess it did its job if it was meant to reduce distractions, but I just hope that wasn't the intent, because I don't think viewers would have had a problem with digesting it with different visuals accompanying it.

Not really a visual theme, but probably the most well executed part of the film was the series of short moments we see Japan deploying troops around the city. Seeing people in legitimate shock, some taking photos in front of tanks, and even school children waving to a soldier that waves back whilst glancing off at the sky for a second. It was great seeing this force they like to not think of being thrust right into the middle of their streets and lives. Yeah, didn't really have a good spot to add this, so it's going here, haha.

Okay, my real final thoughts-
Excellent film. It was really great coming off of Garzey's Wing to something written intelligently, executed gorgeously, and was just a nice alternative to something so silly. I think this is my favorite of the two Patlabor movies, and I'm pondering looking into the series now. Goto feels like an unsung hero of anime (or, at least I never see enough of him in discussion, but I'm not the most savvy in anime circles), and I wouldn't mind seeing the characters in a full tv run.

I'd really recommend this to anyone that liked something in the vein of the Ghost in the Shell movies, or if you just like the type of work Oshii is known for.

And just because the movie was so gorgeous, here's the rest of my non-spoilery screenshots, if anyone wants to see them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Very broadly speaking, they aren't looking for 'anime characters' like this bizarre Haru/Yui fellow who doesn't fit in at all with the fairly naturalistic tone of the rest of Kids on the Slope. He literally feels like someone from a different show.

More over, his appearance is connected to lots of really forced drama where characters act, well, out of character simply for the sake injecting the show with more conflict.
Except, the plot is a jdrama slice of life tropey contrivance. Just get two hot guys and two hot girls, make them wear retro clothes and you have the latest idol vehicle to hit Japan.

[Fujiko] - 7

I've never seen such a high stakes, low tension episode before. It's not simply the case that the animation goes from sup-bar to non-existent (although it does), it's something to do with how you don't care for any of the characters or the situation they are in because you haven't been given any reason to care.

It's pretty bad.

I enjoyed the episode, but not so much for any particular excellence in execution as much as the absurdity of the scenario. At this point, the series is so far away from what anyone wanted or hoped for out of a new Lupin that it's almost unbelievable.

But they COULD be!

I made this for anyone that wants them, though-

Od9Nj.jpg

HN2L1.jpg

How much connection does this film have to other patlabor media?

The themes of
just war sound quite intriguing,
is the movie worth a standalone watch for someone who hasn't experience with the Franchise?
Hmm.

Well, it's probably a little helpful to have some context on what the Labors are and who some of these characters are, but I could easily see someone watching this without having seen the first. The only real connections are who some of these people are, as the secondary characters really aren't in the film but maybe 10 minutes tops in a 2 hour film. The Labors don't honestly play much of a part either...

I'd say go for it if you want, but the first movie is worth watching too.

Jex

PATLABOR 2: THE MOVIE

Not really a visual theme, but probably the most well executed part of the film was the series of short moments we see
Japan deploying troops around the city. Seeing people in legitimate shock, some taking photos in front of tanks, and even school children waving to a soldier that waves back whilst glancing off at the sky for a second. It was great seeing this force they like to not think of being thrust right into the middle of their streets and lives. Yeah, didn't really have a good spot to add this, so it's going here, haha.

Yeah, that's probably one of my favourite sequences in any Oshii film, it's up there right with the 'City Rain' scene in Gits (SPOILERS for Patlabor 2): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmlwhaEEgE

Also, it looks like someone needs to get the BD's!

Is there one with translator's notes?
No, but I have one with karaoke in english and japanese!
Yeah, that's probably one of my favourite sequences in any Oshii film, it's up there right with the 'City Rain's scene in Gits (SPOILERS for Patlabor 2): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmlwhaEEgE
Yeah, it was definitely one of my favorite parts in the film. Really well handled and surprising how many powerful images they had one after another.

Jex

Hmm.

Well, it's probably a little helpful to have some context on what the Labors are and who some of these characters are, but I could easily see someone watching this without having seen the first. The only real connections are who some of these people are, as the secondary characters really aren't in the film but maybe 10 minutes tops in a 2 hour film. The Labors don't honestly play much of a part either...

Yeah, but that's not to mention the OVA's and TV series, which share the same character while having a very different tone.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Hmm.

Thanks for the input, you've given Patlabor a big boost in my mind!

roflmao

gotoh smiles

i blame madpierrot

I am not wellversed in the meaning of those numbers, but basically Sengoku Collection suddenly started getting a lot of preorders?

Yeah, but that's not to mention the OVA's and TV series, which share the same character while having a very different tone.
What would you recommend looking into next, were I to continue with Patlabor?

When I found out that there was a series, after watching the first film, I was somewhat interested, but the first film didn't win me over enough to ever follow up on a series. My opinion has changed now, though.

I am not wellversed in the meaning of those numbers, but basically Sengoku Collection suddenly started getting a lot of preorders?

Right. You can see that the overall points of Sengoku Collection are quite low compared to similarily ranked shows, so it's a very recent and sudden boost. A card with benefits for the social game was just revealed to be packaged with the first volume, so that's likely the reason for the rise. I doubt it'll be able to keep this up for long, but we'll see.

Ultimadrago

Right. You can see that the overall points of Sengoku Collection are quite low compared to similarily ranked shows, so it's a very recent and sudden boost. A card with benefits for the social game was just revealed to be packaged with the first volume, so that's likely the reason for the rise. I doubt it'll be able to keep this up for long, but we'll see.

Hosanna...don't do this to me.

pF9X1.jpg

*knocks on wood*

Jex

If you want to know more about Patlabor the super-limited editions come with a number of interviews with Oshii and other members of Headgear who worked on the film. They're certainly useful in highlighting the intentions and views of the creators. I also recommend Brian Ruh's Stray Dog of Anime, The Films Of Mamoru Oshii, primairly because there aren't many other books like it.

Before I get on with some more Platbor 2 analysis I just want to let everyone know that the DAPDX episode on the Patlabor franchise said that watching the second movie felt like 'being stuck in a traffic jam for three hours'. It's amazing how wrong some people can be.

Anyhoo, as for the film itself you've already covered a number of the important aspects of the work so there's not too much for me to talk about. Still, a few interesting facets remain to be discovered. For example, Oshii identifies himself with the antagonist in the movie: "Tsuge is the other self of Mamoru Oshii. Tsuge's political thoughts and opinions, if there are any, are mine." This is because Oshii feels that people are not "waking up to the reality" e.g. Japan's military role in international conflicts.

Another interesting fact is that this is the first film where the basset hound appears, and there a number of sequences of dogs in the film, usually to demonstrate that the dog has some greater awareness of the events unfolding than humans.

One major aspect of the film, that you've kind of hinted at in your discussion of illusion vs. reality is the idea of 'mediation of perception through technology.

As the opening credits of the movie roll, the viewer is introduced to a visual theme that will be omnipresent throughout the film-that of mediation of technology through perception. In other words, the modern world is continually viewed through filters of television cameras, video displays and computer screens. During the credits Noa and Asuma are testing a Labor piloting system. As the system starts up, the entire city materialises in the simulation Noa views through her visor. This projected city is complete with road obstacles such as people and cats. The Labor piloting simulation parallels the use of media in the rest of the film. By using technological mass media communications, we project a world around us that may not really exist. Where Ohsii’s previous films dealt with the issues of dreams and reality, in his later films technology substitutes for dreams – Brian Run

Relying on technology as a means of establishing factually proof can be extremely problematic, as the bridge incident reveals. This whole theme is expanded upon even further during Ghost in the Shell where this highly malleable technology is now implanted directly into the human body, meaning that everything we see and know is filtered through some technology which other people can manipulate for their own ends, as the Puppeteer so aptly demonstrates.

trejo

I gotta say this was a very interesting argument you guys were having. It almost makes me want to put more thought into my own impressions.

Wasurenagumo

Spiders are incredibly moe.

Young schoolgirls consumed and then turned into/possessed by spiders moreso

That's not the way I saw it.
I think mama spider simply ate the girl and the young spider took on her appearance after that. Makes much more sense, in my opinion.

Jex

Thanks for the input, you've given Patlabor a big boost in my mind!
What would you recommend looking into next, were I to continue with Patlabor?

When I found out that there was a series, after watching the first film, I was somewhat interested, but the first film didn't win me over enough to ever follow up on a series. My opinion has changed now, though.
Well, I even made a thread and stuff for this kind of Patlabor related goodness: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21705774

It's really worth noting that the Patlabor OVA's and TV series are radically different from the movies. Even the first OVA, which was directed by Oshii himself, is essentially a light-hearted police procedural that happens to feature giant robots. Don't go into them expecting them to be anything like the movies.

In which case, why should you watch them? Well, I guess it helps that they're funny, but what's most important are the characters and the situations with which they find themselves. I'd try sitting down with the first 7 episode OVA and seeing if you like it or not.

Hosanna...don't do this to me.

Well, I think it's clear that people aren't buying it for the show itself - otherwise it would've been selling more right away - but for whatever advantages the pack-in is offering for the game. That would also explain why the cheaper DVD is doing better than the BD, which normally doesn't happen outside female-targeted shows. The game is pretty popular, with around 3 million users on Mobage, so it's not surprising that some fraction of that userbase will be interested. It's possible that if the production committee is cunning enough to capitalize on that, they could muster up some sales, although convincing people to buy all 13 volumes seems like a stretch no matter what they pack in. At any rate, this hasn't lasted long enough to become a trend we can come to firm conclusions about.

I feel really awful missing the dog thing. I even recall thinking numerous times about how dogs were all over the place but surprised they weren't all basset hounds. This is exactly what I was thinking during the scene where Nagumo goes to
confront Tsuge on the boats - "Oh, a dog is over there. If only it really knew what was about to go on just a short distance away from it. It's always sort of interesting how animals can be right next to major conflicts like that and have no idea at all." : (

Don't know how the moment with
Ohta and his students didn't come to mind either for the illusion stuff as well. That entire sequence with him hammering home trusting your guts and the importance of not relying on equipment but your fellow man... Not to mention the whole discussion between Izumi and Shinohara about their training. Geez... hahaha

edit:
Well, I even made a thread and stuff for this kind of Patlabor related goodness: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21705774

It's really worth noting that the Patlabor OVA's and TV series are radically different from the movies. Even the first OVA, which was directed by Oshii himself, is essentially a light-hearted police procedural that happens to feature giant robots. Don't go into them expecting them to be anything like the movies.

In which case, why should you watch them? Well, I guess it helps that they're funny, but what's most important are the characters and the situations with which they find themselves. I'd try sitting down with the first 7 episode OVA and seeing if you like it or not.
Ah, thank you!

Well, I think I enjoy the characters of SV2 enough that I wouldn't mind seeing them in another way. Goto is probably the key thing behind my interest in the series, currently, and as long as he's there I think I'll still be interested.

jman2050

That's not the way I saw it.
I think mama spider simply ate the girl and the young spider took on her appearance after that. Makes much more sense, in my opinion.

Either way works.
Having the web cut under her was an a amazing trollface.jpg moment

Jex

I wasn't trolling, come on Jexhius, that shot is bad. Not sure what you mean by tilted, do you mean they're turned so their facing a central point on the screen?

It's a flat, lazy shot, you say they're crowding around the little brother, but due to the lack of depth that's not easily seeable. There is no attempt to mesh the characters with the background at all. There is no sense of scale or perspective. That's not trolling, that just pointing out the flaws in a bad shot.

It's trolling in the sense that your making an argument that serves no purpose to counter a position that doesn't exist. What, exactly, is your point in discussing a rather bland looking shot from Kid's on the Slope? I don't really see what your contributions have added to the discussion beyond poking fun at my original post.

Jex

I enjoyed the episode, but not so much for any particular excellence in execution as much as the absurdity of the scenario. At this point, the series is so far away from what anyone wanted or hoped for out of a new Lupin that it's almost unbelievable.

I actually quite liked the scenario, it's suitably silly enough to be an episode of Lupin but the execution was pretty terrible on all fronts. That one piece of music that kept going and going really got on my nerves.

It's really a shame to see how low-quality some of the production work is considering how many staff are probably killing themselves to get this show out week by week. It all seems a little pointless.

Dynedom

I wonder if it is a blessing in disguise that I'm haven't watched any of the Spring shows yet. Between Lupin and apparently KotS showing unfavorable trends, a lot of my hype has died.

I actually quite liked the scenario, it's suitably silly enough to be an episode of Lupin but the execution was pretty terrible on all fronts. That one piece of music that kept going and going really got on my nerves.

It's really a shame to see how low-quality some of the production work is considering how many staff are probably killing themselves to get this show out week by week. It all seems a little pointless.

It just goes to show that Koike can't manage a TV schedule.

I wonder if it is a blessing in disguise that I'm haven't watched any of the Spring shows yet. Between Lupin and apparently KotS showing unfavorable trends, a lot of my hype has died.

As always, the safest course of action is to wait for shows to finish to make sure they're able to keep up their quality. There's never any guarantees in the world of television. But even if this season hasn't lived up to the "Greatet season ever!" hype people were giving it, I'm pretty sure at least a couple excellent shows will come out of it.

How is AnimeGAf liking E7:Ao, Tusirtama, Zetman and Jormungand?

Tsuritama is kind of Penguin Drum-ish, though I actually like it. If nothing else, it's very colorful.

Zetman has MASSIVE pacing problems and rushing through the source material. In 4 episodes, they got through 70 chapters, cutting out the best arc in the series. I'm still watching it though because what they are adapting isn't bad.

I mean I am watching 18 shows from this season alone, so it can't be all bad. My favorite one isn't even among the ones that were really hyped up.

trejo

AKB0048 3

What's the best way to train young, up-and-coming idorus? By
putting them in the shit
, of course! It was also a pretty weird coincidence that
only the ones with heart highlights made the cut
. Funny how that happened.

Honestly, this mountain is starting to seem much too daunting for a mere mortal such as myself. It kinda feels like I'm not worthy enough to learn from it.

Jex

It just goes to show that Koike can't manage a TV schedule.

The thing is, Michiko e Hatchin was a fairly solid show throughout it's run (with some notable dips), I don't understand why Lupin is so much worse (beyond the terrible production problems they've run into - which probably explain most things).

Dynedom

As always, the safest course of action is to wait for shows to finish to make sure they're able to keep up their quality. There's never any guarantees in the world of television. But even if this season hasn't lived up to the "Greatet season ever!" hype people were giving it, I'm pretty sure at least a couple excellent shows will come out of it.

I'm actually in favor of this. I am in the habit of marathoning shows (although I'm trying to get out of that habit) only because I hate the wait. Waiting weekly for the newest Penguindrum episode was excruciating.

Anyway, now that I've got a job again, I'm going to invest into a lot of shows I missed in past seasons (Steins;Gate) or older shows I have not yet invested my time into (i.e. Utena, Planetes)

Tsuritama is kind of Penguin Drum-ish, though I actually like it. If nothing else, it's very colorful.

Zetman has MASSIVE pacing problems and rushing through the source material. In 4 episodes, they got through 70 chapters, cutting out the best arc in the series. I'm still watching it though because what they are adapting isn't bad.

I mean I am watching 18 shows from this season alone, so it can't be all bad. My favorite one isn't even among the ones that were really hyped up.

Intriguing about Tsuritama and disappointing to hear about Zetman.

I guess I can ask you: How is Medaka Box? Yes, I do actually enjoy the manga (I know, I know)

How is AnimeGAf liking E7:Ao, Tusirtama, Zetman and Jormungand?

Tsuritama is fantastic; its last episode was a stellar mid-series climax that brought together the plotlines that had been building over the first five episodes in a satisfying manner. If it can pull off its finale in a similar fashion, it'll be a worthy show to stand alongside Mononoke and Trapeze.

Jormungand and Zetman are meh - the former has poor direction and animation thanks to White Fox, while the latter is too rushed. I haven't watched E7 AO myself, but it seems to be generally liked, despite having ups and downs.

Other than the shows previously mentioned, I'm finding Ayumu Watanabe's two shows, Space Brothers and Mysterious Girlfriend X, and of course the second season of Fate/Zero, which is on another level from everything else, to be very enjoyable so far. I'm also liking Hyouka a great deal, though most around here find it dull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom