• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
eiji.jpg

Eiji

ANN said:
Legendary boxer Keijiro Akagi's second son, Eiji, is a high school dropout and the world's worst rock guitarist. Though his father and elder brother are both boxers, he hates the sport but suddenly takes an interest in it when he meets the local champion's little sister.

I came for the Sakuga and as far as the intro and the fight scenes were concerned this definitely delivered but unfortunately I can't really say the same about the rather forgettable plot. It certainly doesn't help that this was clearly planned to be a series but it seemed that production ceased after this first episode as nothing else was made. :(
I don't see why the dude had to chase after his rivals little sister given he had a perfectly good childhood friend!

If your a fan of sports animes and you can look past just how painfully 80's this is at times (it was released in 1990 but that's close enough!) then you'll probably get a kick out of this.

Jarmel

Banned
That's basically what K-ON! was, the difference being that their time-wasting involved some inoffensive comedy and cute stuff. In Hyouka there is, uh, Chitana being curious? I also don't like this Kyon-clone.

What I don't understand is that Gatoh does comedy fairly well so for him to do straight up mysteries seems like an utter waste of his talent. I was expecting the show to be more comedic but if they revert to boring mysteries then I'm out.

This really seems like the mystery version of K-ON.

That's basically what K-ON! was, the difference being that their time-wasting involved some inoffensive comedy and cute stuff. In Hyouka there is, uh, Chitana being curious? I also don't like this Kyon-clone.

The comedy in K-ON never did anything for me; it was mainly the enjoyable chemistry between the girls that kept me watching, and I feel a similar vibe from the Classics Club of Hyouka. No one is really that interesting or fleshed out on their own, but together they're pleasant and relaxing to watch.

Just like Apollon!

Kids on the Slope actually has real, human, multi-faceted characters who develop and have interesting hobbies like playing jazz and going to church and the like. Not the same thing at all.

What I don't understand is that Gatoh does comedy fairly well so for him to do straight up mysteries seems like an utter waste of his talent. I was expecting the show to be more comedic but if they revert to boring mysteries then I'm out.

This really seems like the mystery version of K-ON.

Gatoh is just adapting someone else's novel here.

Hello folks. Are you hap-py?

I've started to watch Ashita no Joe quite recently, and I'm simply enthralled by the experience it's been providing me. Even the filler feels fine when you Osamu Dezaki directing! So I'll start talking about that, and I'll eventually got to reviewing the ill-fated Hols: Prince of the Sun as well.

Branduil

Hyouka 1

That was pretty good. I think the key word for this episode was "atmospheric," in that the high-quality visuals and audio established a an extremely effective atmosphere. I think this is why, despite the fairly accurate criticisms about some of the writing, the episode was mostly successful. It was very reminiscent of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya in its ability to evoke certain moods.

While it's true it wasn't the best-written show of the season, I found the chemistry between the characters fairly enjoyable, and I think there's potential for more interesting plotlines to develop.

Kouhei Tanaka's score was masterful, as expected. Well, maybe not expected, but I certainly knew he had it in him. And this season really is spoiling us with incredible background art across a variety of shows.

What makes these backgrounds so effective is not just their technical qualities, but the way they contribute to the visual atmosphere. They're not merely pretty backgrounds for the sake of pretty backgrounds.

Also, I liked both the CGI tracking shot and Eru's eyes. So sue me.

Branduil

They're not really mysteries so much as high schoolers hanging out and wasting time. Hence the quotation marks. We'll see what develops down the road, but I'm fine with that for an introductory episode.

The mysteries in this episode were obviously intended as vehicles for characterization and not the hook of the series in their own right, which is why they didn't offend me like the ones in Gosick. That and Gosick was a garbage-tier BONES show with boring visuals and the most uncompelling characters imaginable.

zeroshiki

People are getting tripped up by the mystery label >_> I have a feeling this is as much of a mystery as K-On was a music show.

Also, it should be a crime to compare Gosick or Un-Go to a KyoAni show.

Articalys

Dusk Maiden 3

So all the main characters are assembled now, I guess.

I couldn't hear Yumi Hara's next episode preview as anything but Takane, probably because it sounded so much like something the character would say.

Instro

Also, I liked both the CGI tracking shot and Eru's eyes. So sue me.

I have mixed feelings on the former. The the idea of shifting the scene slowly around the 2D character is interesting, and I like how she was framed and used in the shot, at the same time the bobbing of the camera and the quick cuts back and forth were distracting. I definitely like her eyes though.

The 3rd and 5th shot that you posted were two of my favorites in the episode. I can't recall seeing a scene with the projector screen placement like that.

Jarmel

Banned
People are getting tripped up by the mystery label >_> I have a feeling this is as much of a mystery as K-On was a music show.

Also, it should be a crime to compare Gosick or Un-Go to a KyoAni show.

You're right, Gosick actually had an overarching narrative.

The 3rd and 5th shot that you posted were two of my favorites in the episode. I can't recall seeing a scene with the projector screen placement like that.

In Japan atleast, the projector screens are in the corner.

Jarmel

Banned
Is that supposed to be negative? Be that as it may, Hyouka has one though. Its the first episode, I doubt they've shown all their cards at this point already.

Most of Kyo-Ani's shows for the past few years haven't had one. Wait was that comparison supposed to be negative towards KyoAni shows or postive?

duckroll

Having a continuous plot arc does not automatically make something more or less interesting. If simply requires more investment on the part of the audience to enjoy the entire ride. The continuous plot arc itself can also be uninteresting and boring. Self-contained episodic story telling is just as valid, and can be used to present interesting or exciting stories as well.

Format is only a means to an end. It's all about execution and content. If K-On sucks, it is not because there is no overarching storyline, but it would be because the material being presented is uninteresting or poorly told.

I'm more than okay with a SoL Hyouka if the next mysteries are a little deeper and more complicated. And the characters are not so dumb as in K-On! or other KyoAni productions.

Different contexts and all, yes. I'd be fine if the characters were strong and the format was episodic, or if the format was arc-based and the characters needed time to come to fruition. But either way, neither approach is going to work without experience and skill at storytelling anyway.

Jarmel

Banned
Having a continuous plot arc does not automatically make something more or less interesting. If simply requires more investment on the part of the audience to enjoy the entire ride. The continuous plot arc itself can also be uninteresting and boring. Self-contained episodic story telling is just as valid, and can be used to present interesting or exciting stories as well.

Format is only a means to an end. It's all about execution and content. If K-On sucks, it is not because there is no overarching storyline, but it would be because the material being presented is uninteresting or poorly told.

I would say though that attempting a large and interesting overarching narrative is harder in of itself in that you have to plan multi-episode content while still making each episode interesting in their own right. Some of the best shows I've seen though usually use a mix of episodic stories as well as mainline narratives.

Which isn't true, so K-ON is great!

I'm laughing my head off.

zeroshiki

I sure as hell meant it to be negative. Atleast Bones tries with their shows to make it interesting. I can't say the same about K-ON or Endless Eight.

I like how people try to ignore the whole S2 of Haruhi and Disappearance whenever they want to slag KyoAni for Endless Eight. Hell, Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody by itself is better than the entirety of Gosick.

I'm not sure in what universe Gosick can be in any way shape or form more interesting than K-On or Haruhi but, sure, knock yourself out.

Jarmel

Banned
I like how people try to ignore the whole S2 of Haruhi and Disappearance whenever they want to slag KyoAni for Endless Eight. Hell, Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody by itself is better than the entirety of Gosick.

I'm not sure in what universe Gosick can be in any way shape or form more interesting than K-On or Haruhi but, sure, knock yourself out.

Season 2 had Endless Eight. The rest of the season wasn't particularly interesting anyway. Sigh wasn't that great.

duckroll

I would say though that attempting a large and interesting overarching narrative is harder in of itself in that you have to plan multi-episode content while still making each episode interesting in their own right. Some of the best shows I've seen though usually use a mix of episodic stories as well as mainline narratives.

It sounds more like your personal taste in entertainment lends towards having something continuous to follow or hook your interest, rather than an actual quality judgement. It is not easier or harder to make long-form or short-form stories. The techniques required to retain audience interest varies depending on the subject matter and the intent of the storyteller.

It is definitely not easy to retain interest in a cast of characters doing different things every episode. It would require good characterization and an interesting variety of stories for every episode. What is actually easier to do is to stretch a single good idea over multiple episodes, just to milk it for all it is worth. But that isn't an attack on long-form stories either, because only lazy long-form storytelling would do something like that. In the same way, only lazy short-form storytelling would have characters do the exact same thing every episode and hope the audience doesn't get sick of it.

The quality of stories are in what is being told. The why and how of the telling is a guiding force that is neither inherently good or bad. The trick is applying the right technique to the best benefit of the material you are telling.

zeroshiki

That's one episode. Disappearance was great too. That still doesn't make up for a shit season.

That's one more episode than Gosick or Un-Go ever had.

Also in case it wasn't clear, I'm not really ceding the point of Haruhi S2 being bad. I actually thought it was good. I just wanted you to see if you would attack Bamboo Leaf or bust out some mental gymnastics.

cajunator

Banned
Sorry. Didnt mean to post again the same thing. Got kind of busy and the site was crashing on my phone so I wasn't sure.

Hyouka looks interesting.
Her head definitely looks huge.

duckroll

That's one more episode than Gosick or Un-Go ever had.

Also in case it wasn't clear, I'm not really ceding the point of Haruhi S2 being bad. I actually thought it was good. I just wanted you to see if you would attack Bamboo Leaf or bust out some mental gymnastics.

I don't think you watched enough Un-Go to make that statement. I propose a challenge! :)

zeroshiki

I don't think you watched enough Un-Go to make that statement. I propose a challenge! :)

Nooooooooooo! I watched errmm... 3 episodes I think. Or however many it took me to drop Guilty Crown.

Wait, a challenge. Will you watch, say, Marimite in return? :p

Just compare it to Book Girl already!

I did! Multiple times! Book Girl has legit mysteries though but its easy to figure them out if you've read the book of the moment :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom