• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Restart at episode 4.

That said, the first three episodes coloured my impressions of the entire series and it's why I don't care to start the second season.

But they tell me you skip all action scenes in anime. That means you watched like a minute of ep4 and maybe 2 minutes of ep5. :(

Jarmel

Banned
Sure but once we are in this subjective area, it becomes very hard to really make any worthwhile factual arguments. Like I mentioned way before it becomes an arena of personal taste and opinion. I completely disagree that it is automatically easier, because when it comes to critical acclaim, you will find that flawed "ambitious" stories are generally more well liked or get more attention than well executed short stories. It is definitely easier to get people to grow attached to characters and story hooks in a long-form story simply because of how much space you have to let things breath. It is harder to achieve the same result in shorter or episodic tales, and hence there is a different sort of challenge there.

I feel that you are biased against one form of storytelling, and hence your comparisons to what makes one harder or the other easier is based on narrative requirements which favor long-form stories, instead of opening your mind to see that short-form stories have a different set of equally challenging conditions which don't generally apply to long-form stories.

There are definitely challenges involved in making short-form stories and I'm not minimalizing those. Also yes I'm more biased towards longer form stories mainly because the characters tend to be fleshed out in those and same with the stories. However there are plenty of crap, by critical accounts anyway, long-form narratives because of the increased difficulties. Now you could argue that my argument is based on subjective issues but I would say that pacing being harder due to story being over a longer period is closer to the objective side. The writers also for episodic material tend to be lazy, hence the CSIs and whatnot, in the world and books by their nature really aren't episodic unless it's something like the Goosebumps series. So yes not every writer can make a quality episodic series and some writers are better at longer-form narratives just as the reverse is true. I also think better writers though tend to veer towards longer form narratives possibly because of the difficulty, like King with the Dark Tower series and how he wanted a magnum opus similar to Tolkien's LOTR. Overall though the biggest issue with a quality, not necessarily successful, series is the time factor. The longer something goes on, the easier it is to go off the rails for any sort of reason.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But they tell me you skip all action scenes in anime. That means you watched like a minute of ep4 and maybe 2 minutes of ep5. :(
I left most of S1 on in the background. So that's about the same as skipping it I suppose.

The only thing I remember is
the first Saber fight when she gets the curse and that Rider flashback at the end

Yes, it's being directed by Shin Oonuma, who did the two ef series, Natsu no Arashi, and Pani Poni Dash at Shaft.
That explains it. God, no WONDER it feels like Natsu no Arashi. lol

I hope in 10 years, every anime looks like a Shaft anime! Slowly taking over the industry, one manga adaptation at a time!

Upotte!! 01
I like guns, and I like girls. So I guess I have to check this out...
OKlyr.jpg
And after watching the first episode, it seems my love for both has not led me astray. I'm loving it so far. I'd say more, but I'm not really good giving reviews and stuff... I hope to see more guns. Onward to the next episode.

zeroshiki

There are definitely challenges involved in making short-form stories and I'm not minimalizing those. Also yes I'm more biased towards longer form stories mainly because the characters tend to be fleshed out in those and same with the stories. ... Overall though the biggest issue with a quality, not necessarily successful, series is the time factor. The longer something goes on, the easier it is to go off the rails for any sort of reason.

I'm sorry but this is objectively wrong. What does an ongoing overarching narrative have to do with character development? Story arcs work just as well with episodic stuff.

cajunator

Banned
Upotte!! 01
I like guns, and I like girls. So I guess I have to check this out...

And after watching the first episode, it seems my love for both has not led me astray. I'm loving it so far. I'd say more, but I'm not really good giving reviews and stuff... I hope to see more guns. Onward to the next episode.

There are way more gun related jokes and scenes to come. Really fun show so far.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm sorry but this is objectively wrong. What does an ongoing overarching narrative have to do with character development? Story arcs work just as well with episodic stuff.
It depends if your characters allowed to change. The Big Bang Theory characters, for example, are pretty much exactly the same after 5 years.

(BAZINGA)

zeroshiki

It depends if your characters allowed to change. The Big Bang Theory characters, for example, are pretty much exactly the same after 5 years.

(BAZINGA)

I thought this was about how KyoAni shows suck because they have no narrative? The K-On girls do have stories and they grow as characters.

TBBT characters actually regressed. They turned Sheldon from quirky to insane.

Jarmel

Banned

Episodic shows have a bigger need to hit the gigantic 'reset' button.

I thought this was about how KyoAni shows suck because they have no narrative? The K-On girls do have stories and they grow as characters.

I sure hope you aren't talking about the first season.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

TBBT characters actually regressed. They turned Sheldon from quirky to insane.
Oh, for some reason I thought you guys were talking about the medium in general. lol

K-On!! definitely has an arc anyway.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I completely forgot about Upotte!! How did the 3rd ep compare to the rather "amazing" 1st ep?
I liked the part where the guns took a bath and rubbed each other. I felt like I was lured in and tricked into learning about gun history for the remaining 20 minutes.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
That sounds like the worst kind of bait-and-switch. What a missed opportunity.

That's merely an exception to the rule!
I think the outro was more bathing too. Just to get me to try episode four probably.

Jarmel

Banned
Really? They "need" to do it? What is this magical need? Are you telling me episodic shows don't have character growth? Why?

They usually do a reset of any sort of lesson a character learns as well as a reset of the general premise. I'm currently watching Adventure Time and one of the character's physically changes and a few episodes later the character physically reverts back to their original design and personality. Supernatural is pretty much based on that entire premise of going back to the status quo. I mean there is a reason why there is a term called "Monster of the week" in that the crew defeats the monster and everything goes back to normal.

zeroshiki

They usually do a reset of any sort of lesson a character learns as well as a reset of the general premise. I'm currently watching Adventure Time and one of the character's physically changes and a few episodes later the character physically reverts back to their original design and personality. Supernatural is pretty much based on that entire premise of going back to the status quo. I mean there is a reason why there is a term called "Monster of the week" in that the crew defeats the monster and everything goes back to normal.

I still want to know what this has to do with KyoAni, K-On, Haruhi or more importantly Hyouka but I'll bite.

You have issues with the episodic format but for dramas, its not like they forget the stuff that happened even in "monster of the week" stuff. (which is hilarious since this started with you defending Gosick and Un-go, the latter of which does monster of the week).

Jarmel

Banned
I watch Upotte!! for the doujins like I watched Fate/Zero because of the Tex-Mex stuff.

The Tex-Mex stuff is good work indeed. I don't think he's done any F/Z stuff only FS/N.

I still want to know what this has to do with KyoAni, K-On, Haruhi or more importantly Hyouka but I'll bite.

You have issues with the episodic format but for dramas, its not like they forget the stuff that happened even in "monster of the week" stuff. (which is hilarious since this started with you defending Gosick and Un-go, the latter of which does monster of the week).

What. I never said Haruhi was episodic. K-ON certainly was (atleast the first season anyway) and Lucky Star too. I defended Gosick, I never mentioned Un-go.

Episode 4 - preview
1335173118955.png

チーム対抗戦を行うことになったふんこたち突撃小銃《アサルト・ライフル
》。チーム対抗戦は己の性能をアピールする絶好のチャンスだ。虚弱体質
のえるとチームを組むことになったいちろくは、些細なことでえるを責め
、仲間割れをしてしまう。2人を心配するふんこ。そんなふんこたちの前に
不穏な影が現れた

- team battle
- dispute between M16 and L (hnnng)
- new enemiws (Galil and Saku - hnnnnng!)

-and some tasty weapon commercials

I hope Xebec can draw some worthy rapefaces.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Fate/zero 02

This series is one more clumsily handled "shocking" scene that unintentionally glorifies things that seem to intend to turn the viewer against certain characters but is not really effective at that and instead comes off as tasteless teenage edgy non-shock shit from being dropped.

cajunator

Banned
Fate/zero 02

This series is one more clumsily handled "shocking" scene that unintentionally glorifies things that seem to intend to turn the viewer against certain characters but is not really effective at that and instead comes off as tasteless teenage edgy non-shock shit from being dropped.

You're trying too hard.

Steroyd

Yes acctually. Episode 2 and 3 dialed back the perverted jokes.
They are still present occasionally but its not as blatant as episode 1.

They may have dialed back the perverted jokes, but they went full steam ahead with the ass a chest groping in episode 3.

wonzo

Banned
HeartCatch PreCure! 11

Kumojacky owns and all but where's that awesome Dark Precure at?! The only issue I had with this episode was that something about the animation felt a bit off compared to other episodes.

Saint Seiya Omega 4

I can feel the Yaoi doujins coming from a mile away. This felt like a notable step down in quality from the first 3 episodes, hopefully this isn't a trend.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I thought you'd be happy that
Shirou didn't get the girl.

True, on the one hand I'm happy Shirou didn't get Saber technically. He kinda did though as he got her heart. :/ Well, despite not liking Shirou I like Saber and I wanted her to get a super happy ending which didn't happen. Ah well. ^^;

cajunator

Banned
Saber is a pretty awesome character imo, but she has some definite flaws.
Overall my hnnngmeter is pegged and I think she's pretty badass.
Shirou being her master is probably more of a trolljob than Blood C could ever be.

Steroyd

Shirou being her master is probably more of a trolljob than Blood C could ever be.

And to think he's the successor to Kiritsugu (?).

What a joke.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That simply means that there's more time for Xebec to draw those thick thighs!

Hey, they called me stubborn so if it's stubborn they want it is stubborn they get. I require both original compositions of stripped weapons and thick thighs.

sonicmj1

Fate/zero 02

Why do you assume this?

Well, for the scene in the first episode, it's definitely not supposed to be viewed sympathetically, but I don't think they'd have included the dark humor in the episode 2 scene if they didn't want some people to be amused by it.

Jex

Fate/zero 02

I assume you mean 'this episode'.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
HeartCatch PreCure! 11

Kumojacky owns and all but where's that awesome Dark Precure at?! The only issue I had with this episode was that something about the animation felt a bit off compared to other episodes.

Saint Seiya Omega 4

I can feel the Yaoi doujins coming from a mile away. This felt like a notable step down in quality from the first 3 episodes, hopefully this isn't a trend.

Dark Precure pops up every few episode for the first 2/3rds of the series or so. I think the next time you see more of her will be around episode 13 or 14.

Jex

The first episode is good. If he fails to appreciate anything in it, then he probably won't like the rest of the series. He can go back to watching K-On!!! or whatever.

Well, I don't know about that. I didn't like the first or second episode and it really took awhile for the series to 'click' with me. Mainly because this experience:

Fate/zero 01

That was several shades of awful and took genuine effort for me to finish. It's not just an exposition dump, it's a bad exposition dump. Lots of lazy, uninteresting scenes where the camera slowly zooms out because nobody knew how to make this tripe interesting I guess. It's like a battle shounen without the fun and a laughable aura of SERIOUS BUSINESS.
is not uncommon. In fact, I've read a number of variations of it with regard to this episode.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Indeed. A better protagonist would have gone a long way.
Now if she had, say ended up with Rin's Archer that'd have been very happy for me. :D (yes yes I know who Rin's Archer is I figured that out).

Jex

You have something against slice of life? You monster.

Slice of life isn't even a real genre. Drama is a genre, but that's because stuff actually happens!

Still, I imagine we'll get some more interesting 'stories' later on. I would hope so, at least.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I assume you mean 'this episode'.
How would I drop an episode? Or am I missing something. I'm confused :(

Why do you assume this?

Well, for the scene in the first episode, it's definitely not supposed to be viewed sympathetically, but I don't think they'd have included the dark humor in the episode 2 scene if they didn't want some people to be amused by it.
Then it's even worse.

Defuser

So I was eating lunch this afternoon and for no apparent reason this trivia useless scene from Kids on the Slope ep 2 popped into my mind and makes me wonder about it.

1T6JGm.jpg

Where did she acquire the knife from? Why am I nitpicking about it?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Her bag? Anywhere? Look how small it is. Girl knows her EDC.

Also I'm making a text file of names of people who claim to like Upotte so that their opinions on anything can forever be rendered invalid due to poor taste.

duckroll

Her bag? Anywhere? Look how small it is. Girl knows her EDC.

Also I'm making a text file of names of people who claim to like Upotte so that their opinions on anything can forever be rendered invalid due to poor taste.

I think the FBI are probably compiling a similar list, for very different reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom