• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

Sankarea is pulling completely standard ratings for the late-night Thursday slot on TBS it airs in, similar to previous shows in that slot like The Idolmaster. There is no reason to expect it to perform better in the ratings - it's not going to have the mainstream appeal that NHK can sometimes tap into with shows like Kaiji.

Kaiji was NTV :p I think even on the same slot as Lupin is in now.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. There are shows with 0 ratings right now and it still doesn't matter. You only care about ratings for shows if its on normal human time or if its NTV Wednesday night slot or Noitamina because the TV station fronts money for it. Everything else is an advertisement for the BD.

Branduil, you're really just calling this one in, aren't you? The show is constantly self-parodying anyhow, but there aren't any shows on that list that fit the whole "MC seeks to get rid of obnoxious, overbearing magical girlfriend" Hell, Nyarlko isn't even on that list! What? Pissed that Lovecraft is getting parodied by THIS?

Kanokon is kind of like that. So is Happy World. Oh, and of course there's Rizelmine.

It's a more common setup in manga than anime.

Edit: Oh, how could I forget the biggest and best one? Kemekko DX!

Branduil

Lovecraft is certainly more original than another magical girlfriend comedy which badly copies what's been done hundreds of times before.

I'm pretty sure you guys are missing the key word here. I don't really feel like giving you a hint, though. I think you can figure it out.

jman2050

Nyarko is a piece of shit show. If you want to watch it for the moe or "lol cthulu" factor or the sometimes amusing references then go right ahead, it's why I watch it too. Just don't go trying to claim it's actually good or anything of the sort. At the end of the day it is just another stupid magical girlfriend show no matter how much you try to spin it.

It's not particularly original, but it's funny, fun to watch, and doesn't take itself seriously at all.

I don't need to justify my own tastes to anyone here beyond that.

survivor

Banned
Nyarko is a piece of shit show. If you want to watch it for the moe or "lol cthulu" factor or the sometimes amusing references then go right ahead, it's why I watch it too. Just don't go trying to claim it's actually good or anything of the sort. At the end of the day it is just another stupid magical girlfriend show no matter how much you try to spin it.
Fuck, now I cant say it's a good anime

cajunator

Banned
Who watches anime for originality? Certainly not me...

Nobody can really. Its all been done.

In the end, all people wanted was moe cthulhu and they got exactly that.

Defuser

Well something needs to fill in the comedy void after Gintama and Nichibros ended.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Please, why is it a "piece of shit show"? You and Branduli seem to be quite happy to spout off how bad it is with out explaining why. Is it because magical girlfriend shows are inherently bad? Because lighthearted parodies of oh-so-dark works are bad? Because it uses more references than overt parodies, it's bad?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sankarea is pulling completely standard ratings for the late-night Thursday slot on TBS it airs in, similar to previous shows in that slot like The Idolmaster. There is no reason to expect it to perform better in the ratings - it's not going to have the mainstream appeal that NTV can sometimes tap into with shows like Kaiji.

Things like this make me curious how many otaku use DVRs or even use less-than-ethical methods to watch their shows. If you have any semblance of a normal sleeping schedule, watching shows in the middle of the night every night has to become difficult.

zeroshiki

Please, why is it a "piece of shit show"? You and Branduli seem to be quite happy to spout off how bad it is with out explaining why. Is it because magical girlfriend shows are inherently bad? Because lighthearted parodies of oh-so-dark works are bad? Because it uses more references than overt parodies, it's bad?

Because the subject matter is terribly shallow, has ugly designs and it animates like crap. How about that?

I haven't seen it but I'm sure all those 3 are true

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I'm curious if Trejo also thinks Hayate and Gintama are piece of shit shows, since in many ways they are very similar to Nyaruko.

Branduil

Because comedy is execution and Moe Cthulhu has none of it. Also, copying pizzaroll is a bad way to win arguments.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
In the end, all people wanted was moe cthulhu and they got exactly that.
She doesn't really show many Lovecraftian traits. I don't really consider the show to be a parody, although it does have anime referential jokes from time to time.

zeroshiki

Things like this make me curious how many otaku use DVRs or even use less-than-ethical methods to watch their shows. If you have any semblance of a normal sleeping schedule, watching shows in the middle of the night every night has to become difficult.

Setting aside the otaku, being awake during those times is not that surprising for normal working people. The Japanese like overworking themselves to near-death.

cajunator

Banned
Because the subject matter is terribly shallow, has ugly designs and it animates like crap. How about that?

I haven't seen it but I'm sure all those 3 are true

Nah actually the animations not too bad for what it is.
As for shallow...its a moe parody show. Theres not much depth that's required.

Uchip

Banned
Nobody can really. Its all been done.

This season alone, I cant say ive seen anything like Tsuritama or Space Bros (no, its nothing like Planetes), and Lupin is an original take on familiar material (Rather than a familiar take on original material).

The Japanese like overworking themselves to near-death.

Near Death? the rate of overwork related deaths annually is in the tens of thousands (so ive heard)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I am actually 100% certain about the ugly designs and I can infer on the animation quality just by looking at the studio.

The designs may be ugly, but they still give us something that this season's not delivering enough of: zettai ryouiki.

Kaiji was NTV :p I think even on the same slot as Lupin is in now.

I realized my mistake after I posted, thanks.

Whatever the case may be, I imagine otaku would make up only a very tiny sliver of the people watching television in Japan at any given time.

Well something needs to fill in the comedy void after Gintama and Nichibros ended.

Are you really that desperate? While being very different from the two shows you mentioned, I've found that Mysterious Girlfriend X has satisfied my comedy needs this season, and it's attractive and well-made to boot!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I am actually 100% certain about the ugly designs and I can infer on the animation quality just by looking at the studio.

If you dislike the designs that's fine, but why even bother asking the question in the first place if you've already made up your mind without even checking out the show?

I'm curious if Trejo also thinks Hayate and Gintama are piece of shit shows, since in many ways they are very similar to Nyaruko.

Well for one Gintama has far more going for it than just referential jokes in the comedy department. Not that referential jokes are bad per say but if I don't get the reference than I won't get the joke. Gintama also does character drama very well for a show that is primarily a comedy.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Well for one Gintama has far more going for it than just referential jokes in the comedy department. Not that referential jokes are bad per say but if I don't get the reference than I won't get the joke. Gintama also does character drama very well for a show that is primarily a comedy.

The first 3 episodes of Nyaruko have been better than the first 3 episodes of Gintama. So who knows how Nyaruko might turn out?

>_>

Defuser

Are you really that desperate? While being very different from the two shows you mentioned, I've found that Mysterious Girlfriend X has satisfied my comedy needs this season, and it's attractive and well-made to boot!

MGX is comedy? wut? I didn't get that notion when reading the manga or watching the show.

trejo

Calling it a shit show was a spur of the moment kind of thing but it is vapid, shallow and derivative. Of course a magical girlfriend show doesn't have to be bad it's just that the vast majority of them are and I don't see how this particular one is suddenly the exception. Mind explaining to me what's oh so original about it?

And there is a point where just puking references all over everything stops being parody and just becomes a smelly disgusting mess, or do you perhaps find those abundant Scary/Teen/Superhero movies simply hilarious as well?

And I didn't know Gintama was a magical girlfriend show.

MGX is comedy? wut? I didn't get that notion when reading the manga or watching the show.

It's basically an off-kilter romantic comedy. Certainly it makes me laugh several times each episode, usually because of Urabe's behavior. There's not really a good "pure" comedy this season, but MGX will do.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Random question.

What is the term when animators can't keep consistent faces (aka much derp faces)? Or is there one?

Offmodel, perhaps?

Because comedy is execution and Moe Cthulhu has none of it. Also, copying pizzaroll is a bad way to win arguments.

Well, I can't really argue with your personal taste in comedy
other than to say it sucks :< :< opinions blah blah blah

Branduil

This brings up a good point about originality in anime and other mediums. It's true that you cannot make something truly original, in the sense that all kinds of stories have been done before. On the other hand, the presentation of unoriginal things can be original. For instance, if you look at the original Star Wars film, there's nothing original in the story. It's all copied from myths, old serials, foreign films, war films, scifi novels, etc. But the presentation of all those elements, and the manner in which it was executed, was undeniably original. No one had ever watched a movie like it before, and yet it was entirely familiar.

So, you can have a show like MGX, which is certainly not alien in concept, but feels fresh because of the manner in which it presents its romance.

Of course, originality in presentation on its own does not guarantee a good show. But it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom