• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working some pretty significant hours lately. Not working to death but probably overdoing it.

Nyaruko is ADORABLE.

Nyaruko is different. Something about the art style when she does the 'patent cute faces' is really interesting.

Not sure if it's source material or shit animators though.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Because comedy is execution and Moe Cthulhu has none of it. Also, copying pizzaroll is a bad way to win arguments.
In your opinion.

Fuck, now I cant say it's a good anime
You can still say it's a FUN anime. :D

She doesn't really show many Lovecraftian traits. I don't really consider the show to be a parody, although it does have anime referential jokes from time to time.
It's genre parody as well as subject parody. It's like "What if C'thulhu was a Super Sentai" type stuff. Also, she totally acts like every C'thulhuTech player I've ever known.

I'm pretty sure you guys are missing the key word here. I don't really feel like giving you a hint, though. I think you can figure it out.
Well that would require Nyarko-san to be just another Magical Girlfriend show, which it is in fact not. It's a parody. Make sense?

Well its certainly a romcom, but perhaps you don't find it funny?
It's a dramedy at best. Not enough goofy antics that cause the characters to endear to each other. Rather, most of the comedy comes from familiarity with the awkwardness of growing up.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
A true replacement for Gintama will have to wait until Sunrise Studio 5's next show in the summer, Binbougami ga!

This is true. Although Bimbougami ga isn't really anything like Gintama, apart from the fact they both have actual humor, not just endless tsukomi routines or whatever they're called.

Nyarko is a piece of shit show. If you want to watch it for the moe or "lol cthulu" factor or the sometimes amusing references then go right ahead, it's why I watch it too. Just don't go trying to claim it's actually good or original or anything of the sort. At the end of the day it is just another stupid magical girlfriend show no matter how much you try to spin it.
If it's amusing, it looks nice, and it accomplishes what it sets out to do, then how can it be anything other than "good?" Let alone "a piece of shit."

Branduil

Well that would require Nyarko-san to be just another Magical Girlfriend show, which it is in fact not. It's a parody. Make sense?

Anime has generally abused the notion of parody to the point where it no longer means much of anything. If all you're doing is imitating wholesale that which you claim to mock, with a few nudge-nudge wink-wink jokes about "us animes, man!" then I'm afraid I can't find that humorous. Navel-gazing is not comedy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sakamichi no Treme 1-5 - This is really good, it has a nice "slice-of-life" feel to the narrative that's quite refreshing in comparison to most plot-driven television, everything from the direction, writing and cinematography is top-notch too, I also love how organically they infuse the music performances within the story reminds me of Kids on the slope in that sense. And man I can't comprehend on how so many people find this "boring" to watch, every episode has gone by fast for me, it's weird, not to mention Annie is so damn moe and adorable to watch~ don't really care about her BF that much though.
It certainly has the best OP I've seen in a while. I never skip it!

Risette

A Good Citizen
Animation Director's Check Bounced.
Well unrelated to Bad Cthulu show, but a good animation director lets their animators go off model if their's justification for it, like... crazy movement or something. Now a bunch of people standing in the hallway with deformed faces, yeah that's a quality issue.

I just wanted to clear that up!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Well unrelated to Bad Cthulu show, but a good animation director lets their animators go off model if their's justification for it, like... crazy movement or something. Now a bunch of people standing in the hallway with deformed faces, yeah that's a quality issue.

I just wanted to clear that up!

It's not called off model in that case, though.

cajunator

Banned
If it's amusing, it looks nice, and it accomplishes what it sets out to do, then how can it be anything other than "good?" Let alone "a piece of shit."

I was wondering the same thing.
Nyaruko-san is aiming to be a cute lovecraft parody and its achieving what it set out to be. Its not bad by any means.

trejo

You make it sound like that's some sort of formula for success. Something can be all three and still not necessarily be satisfactory to everyone.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
You make it sound like that's some sort of formula for success. Something can be all three and still not necessarily be satisfactory to everyone.
...and just because someone dislikes it does not mean it wasn't good. No one is going to like everything, and nothing is going to be liked by everyone.

I never said or implied anything about success, and just because it doesn't satisfy everyone doesn't mean that it's bad.

You seem to be confusing "bad" with "shallow."

Soma

yeRnT.jpg

Anyhow,

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san Episode 03

This was better than last week's episode which I didn't find that great.

I think I've gotten to the point of being able to consider this a guilty pleasure. It's so stupid that I've even found myself laughing at how stupid it is. You could take that as a positive or negative thing but at the end of the day, this show has got me entertained. There were a few scenes I found legitimately funny and overall the tone of this show is just plain dumb-fun. I like Nyaruko's hyperactive character and I'll keep sticking with the show.

Shantak-kun is really adorable too.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Anime has generally abused the notion of parody to the point where it no longer means much of anything. If all you're doing is imitating wholesale that which you claim to mock, with a few nudge-nudge wink-wink jokes about "us animes, man!" then I'm afraid I can't find that humorous. Navel-gazing is not comedy.

There's a difference between culture parody and genre parody you know. What you're suggesting with the "us animes" is the former. The latter is what Nyarlko actually is, and genre parody is NEVER old unless the genre is dead.

And in either case, I'm of the opinion that there's enough general slapstick and situational comedy that you don't even really NEED the cultural references to laugh. It's fine if you don't find it funny, Branduil, but there's no need to bring the rest of us down with your bad attitude. :/

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If Nyaruko-san is a parody of harem shows Dragon Crisis is a parody of harem shows.
You can't be a parody of something you're knee deep in.

Kids on the Slope: Episode 01

Really, really, really liking this show.
The music is going to be fantastic for the entire show, it's easy to see already.

The characters have been fun as well. I think Sentaro will probably be a favorite, when all is said and done. : )

That playing from Sentaro.... Man, that kid's got some skills.
I've got an excellent feeling from this show, and I'm looking forward to more.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
If Nyarko-san is a parody of harem shows Dragon Crisis is a parody of harem shows.
You can't be a parody of something you're knee deep in.

But Dragon Crisis was absolutely nothing like Nyaruko. Really. I wouldn't wish Dragon Crisis on anyone, but Nyaruko is a very fun show. their subject matter and atmosphere are very different from each other.

Branduil

There's a difference between culture parody and genre parody you know. What you're suggesting with the "us animes" is the former. The latter is what Nyarlko actually is, and genre parody is NEVER old unless the genre is dead.

And in either case, I'm of the opinion that there's enough general slapstick and situational comedy that you don't even really NEED the cultural references to laugh. It's fine if you don't find it funny, Branduil, but there's no need to bring the rest of us down with your bad attitude. :/

Criticism /= bad attitude.

wonzo

Banned
Roujin Z

All I took from this movie was that the militarisation of the senile elderly is a pretty bad idea and No one messes with the Ministry of Public Welfare! Oh and the mechanical animation was great and reminded me of Akira and that really sub-par short from Memories.

trejo

In any case, it's not a harem show.

If it's not a magical girlfriend show and it's not a harem show then what is it?

And since you ignored a previous post of mine I'll just ask again. What exactly is so original about it? And why does being stuffed with references automatically make it good?

edit: And apparently it's not a parody either!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom