• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Then what is it?

And since you ignored a previous post of mine I'll just ask again. What exactly is so original about it? And why does being stuffed with references automatically make it good?

I'm trying to find a post of yours I missed, but I don't see it. :(

Being stuffed with references doesn't make it automatically good, and no one is saying that. Since Nyaruko is doing a good job at being stuffed with references, I like it. And simply because a show isn't original, doesn't mean it's a crappy derivative of a hundred other shows, as Branduil claims. It's not a simple binary equation of COMPLETELY ORIGINAL and WORTHLESS RIP OFF.

Edit: it's not a fullblown parody of a specific work, but surely even you can agree that there are a number of parodical elements to it?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Mirai Nikki 3

WztYb.jpg

During the first half of the episode, I thought: "I guess the crazy girl isn't just plain crazy."

But that changed.

... I mean, who the hell peels apples?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
But Dragon Crisis was absolutely nothing like Nyaruko.
Except that they're both harem shows with obnoxious love interests where the main character with a seemingly peaceful life accrues a growing number of girls who thrust themselves into his life because of supernatural reasons. With appearances by Rie Kugimiya.

If it's not a magical girlfriend show and it's not a harem show then what is it?

And since you ignored a previous post of mine I'll just ask again. What exactly is so original about it? And why does being stuffed with references automatically make it good?

edit: And apparently it's not a parody either!
It's a comedy with lots of moe. Was that so hard to figure out?

doomed1 pointed out one thing that does set Nyaruko apart from a lot of its brethren: the protagonist actively rejects the hand he's been dealt.

edit:
Except that they're both harem shows with obnoxious love interests where the main character with a seemingly peaceful life accrues a growing number of girls who thrust themselves into his life because of supernatural reasons. With appearances by Rie Kugimiya.
I haven't seen the third episode yet, but there's no signs of a harem in the first two episodes. There's only one chick who wants Mahiro's bread, and he doesn't want to give her any.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Let's break this down:

"they're both harem shows" wrong, nyaruko is not a harem show.

"obnoxious love interests" debatable, personal taste comes into play here, but I and many others do not find Nyaruko to be an obnoxious love interest. Furthermore, "love interest" implies that the love aspect of the characters relationship is a major part of the show, but they are invoked in completely different ways between the shows. Nyaruko uses it solely for comedy, while DC used it for drama. They aren't really comparable.

"growing number of girls" I guess you can have Cthugha, although she
is after nyaruko, not the MC.
and apart from her, no other girls make appearances.
Hastur, the little blonde, is a boy.
Again, the way it plays out is very different between the two shows.

"with appearance by Rie Kugimiya." as if that means anything.

Branduil

It's a comedy with lots of moe. Was that so hard to figure out?

doomed1 pointed out one thing that does set Nyaruko apart from a lot of its brethren: the protagonist actively rejects the hand he's been dealt.

Please, he's far from the first boring male protagonist to act as though the girls throwing themselves at him have cooties. Acts of domestic violence are hardly a step in the right direction.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Please, he's far from the first boring male protagonist to act as though the girls throwing themselves at him have cooties. Acts of domestic violence are hardly a step in the right direction.

Please don't pull that argument. I mean, by that standard, Fate/Zero is a horrible show that shouldn't even be aired.

Branduil

I don't see what relevance Fate/Zero has to the boring male protagonist in Moe Cthulhu. Jokes that are basically just "LOL HE STABBED THE GIRL WITH A FORK" are not funny.

Not this shit again. She's an eldritch godmonster. Mahiro has every right and reason to behave the way he does.

cajunator

Banned
I don't see what relevance Fate/Zero has to the boring male protagonist in Moe Cthulhu. Jokes that are basically just "LOL HE STABBED THE GIRL WITH A FORK" are not funny.

The show is just slapstick humor mixed with parody and moeshit. I really yhink you are putting way too much thought into it.
Just embrace the oo nyaa.

Branduil

Not this shit again. She's an eldritch godmonster. Mahiro has every right and reason to behave the way he does.

No she's not, she's just an alien who looks identical to a human girl. That's like saying it would be okay for Kaito to run over Ichika with a road roller because she's not human.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
No she's not, she's just an alien who looks identical to a human girl. That's like saying it would be okay for Kaito to run over Ichika with a road roller because she's not human.

That's just one of her forms - and probably not the real one.

But, damn, is this discussion stupid.

Ultimadrago

Black Lagoon 11

Fv9jc.jpg

A new client enters the fray: Mr.Chang

b9NWb.jpg

Yes, I will ingrain these devilish expressions into yo brains!

Not much to say about this episode. Another job goes wrong because of a little goof-up by Rock, yet another arc continues. (I called them "multi-parters" due to their short length, but I've probably been incorrect in doing so, "arcs" is probably the more accurate term I guess)

Anyways, action scene at the beginning was alright. The rest was transportation events to the destination. Nothing eye-catching, but the change of scenery to a tropical guerrilla friendly area is nice from the typical run-down city look. Here's to the next episode ending with guns blazing.

Yes she is. She says herself that this is just one of her many forms, and her penchant for brutal slaughter does not gel with my idea of a normal human girl. Unless, of course, your whining takes precedence over the script, the source material, and reality itself.

Phi Brain s2 3

I actually kind of liked the tetris crane puzzle even if it was pretty low key. You could even solve it if you paused unlike with a lot of the puzzles. Airi is whatever, but this is still in the intro phase for the Orpheus Order, so that's fine.

Speaking of which, it's kind of hard to see them as worse than the P.O.G. I mean those guys made and still make puzzles that kill people. At least these guys were cool with doing a bait and switch at least once which is more than anyone can say for the malevolent P.O.G. givers.

Joule

Jigen Fujiko 2: I think they overdid the shading effect in this one. Particularly in the scene with Jigen the mob wife dancing. A very noir episode. It had gambling, mobsters, forbidden loves, all that jazz too. I like Jigen's character. The straight forward gun (When he shot the scarred dude, that was hella boss). I do think his voice is a little bit too flat but I suppose the very indifferent tone fits his character. While I did like the whole of the episodes story, it could of been paced better to allow for more exposure of Jigen and mobster wife's relationship. Maybe there could of been less Fujiko since she didn't have too much part in the episode other than to move Jigen around. I do like how Fujiko is the constant in these stories thus far but she could of been maybe used better here.

My favourite two scenes in this episode:
bSG7K.jpg
agqQk.jpg

The church scenes were quite well done.

Bleach (rewatch) dub ep 180 - 185

This was when the arc started to get good with everything coming together.
The twist, Captain Amagai slashing and killing Kumoi always gets to me as they did a good job making us think it was Kumoi the whole time after Amagai got our trust and Ichigo's.
. OP and ED this season just can never grow on me. Kira and Wabisuke needed more screentime.

up to Toriko 12
Terry is fucking boss.

Bleach (rewatch) dub ep 180 - 185

This was when the arc started to get good with everything coming together.
The twist, Captain Amagai slashing and killing Kumoi always gets to me as they did a good job making us think it was Kumoi the whole time after Amagai got our trust and Ichigo's.
. OP and ED this season just can never grow on me. Kira and Wabisuke needed more screentime.

idk, always felt the ending to be the usually filler bs to kill off the filler guys to go back to canon shit =/

Instro

What? Who's bitter? Taichi deserves more than being friendzoned by a girl who pines for some karuta playing robot. If Asimo could play Karuta then Arata is pretty much screwed.

I get the feeling you are writing hate mail to the author right now. Don't end up like that Kannagi fan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom