• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go_Ly_Dow

ZGApv.jpg

wow

he must have over 30 waifu's in that pic alone

cajunator

Banned
I thought he was smoking for a second there. That would be fucking badass.

It IS the perfect pose for it!

I don't smoke though, and I wouldn't in the room for fear of messing up all my animu shit with smoke.

It is good or bad that the anime girls are completely unknown to me

Well, most of it looks like generic ero game waifus so I don't think that's a bad thing.
I have no idea who those characters are either, and I can identify pretty much every character in ISML.

Risette

A Good Citizen
My man! What struck me about the episode was that maybe the nature of its narrative was what made necessary a editing like that for it to work, a effect of the special care it was put to make the spectator clearly aware of the passage of time through those cyclic scenes and such.

So, if that was the focus for this episode as an important aspect to highlight, this consequently made the editing look very deliberate on the other episodes because of that. Seems intended then, in my opinion, like scenes roughly patched together on a messy 'exploitation film'.
Perhaps. I'll admit that I honestly overlooked the first episodes of Lupin Series 1 as "those episodes I had to see to get to the Miyazaki/Takahata stuff" so it may have developed a negative bias. Now that I know more about Osumi I may revisit them. I didn't enjoy them much except for the prison break one, which was really good and quite fun. The way the editing was handled in that ep was great, it wouldn't have worked without the editing at all.

Looking back, I wouldn't be surprised if you were right about the exploitation film angle. Sort of like those low-budget Italian crime movies, maybe?

Also I have to say that you can sometimes feel that Miyazaki Touch™ on the series. The bad one. That episode where Lupin
un-kidnaps that girl who is the daughter of one of his father's thief comrades
was just ugh. I can understand why some Lupin fans complain about how his Lupin is a corny white knight character because that episode is pretty bad in that aspect, it's just kinda obnoxious. I'll still defend Cagliostro for doing kinda but not really the same thing because in Cagliostro it feels a lot more like a natural development happening rather than a in-your-face Miyazakism.

On the better Miyazaki Touch™ side, that same episode also has some wonderful cartoony brilliance involving the train, back when Miyazaki still did that sort of thing (taking advantage of the animated form and all.)

Still not finished with the series. Two episodes left...

cajunator

Banned
In that 2x4 square of images on the top, she's on the top row and third to the right. I actually recognized Fumino first but Nozomi was my favorite character in MNO, so...

Unfortunately, that show bored the fuck out of me and seeing as it has a catgirl in it, that was a massive disappointment. I didn't think it was possible.

OceanBlue

Unfortunately, that show bored the fuck out of me and seeing as it has a catgirl in it, that was a massive disappointment. I didn't think it was possible.
I dropped it after the first episode. Yabuki's manga was good though. Too bad it was cancelled, since I really liked it, but at least we have TLR now.

cajunator

Banned
Part of it is Nozomi's rather boring character design.
Catgirls typically don't have boring designs. Her personality also doesn't seem to fit a catgirl at all.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Part of it is Nozomi's rather boring character design.
Catgirls typically don't have boring designs. Her personality also doesn't seem to fit a catgirl at all.

What? Catgirls usually have the most generic designs, and are generally pretty boring characters anyway.

Jintor

Rewatching Lucky Star. You know, it's amazing how Kyoani's productions are always so distinct from the products of just about every other studio. Even their low tier stuff is high tier. Just from a cinematic framing perspective, use of music, animation... it's all perfectly engineered.

Fuck this cream bun conversation though.

Jintor

Jesus christ they talk about food for like 10 goddamn minutes.

I must have just wiped this immediately from my memory.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I watched the first episode of Lucky Star a while back.

I seriously can't understand why people think it's good.

Unless they're Cajunator.

jman2050

They at least tried to be funny in a perverse otakuish Seinfeldian way.

I mean, they failed miserably, but that's what they were going for.

Jintor

I remember getting hooked around episode four. I think it was the first KyoAni thing I'd ever watched. I retroactively got into Haruhi because Konata was a fan.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Haruhi is one of the few shows I truly despise. One of the most unfunny, unwatchable things I've ever tried to watch.

cajunator

Banned

I don't think Lucky Star is that good. I ended up getting it, but its not my favorite comedy show at all. Much prefer Fumoffu, Pani Poni Dash, Galaxy angel, Azu Dai, hell Nichijou and Nichibros even over it. Tsukasa is mainly the reason why I watched it at all.

Jintor

I don't think Lucky Star is that good. I ended up getting it, but its not my favorite comedy show at all. Much prefer Fumoffu, Pani Poni Dash, Galaxy angel, Azu Dai, hell Nichijou and Nichibros even over it. Tsubasa is mainly the reason why I watched it at all.

Her name is Tsukasa, so...

I think Lucky Star is high tier nonsense, but then again I haven't seen Nichijou or Nichibros yet.

Of course, Azumanga is still the king. Queen. Whatever.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Her name is Tsukasa, so...

I think Lucky Star is high tier nonsense, but then again I haven't seen Nichijou or Nichibros yet.

Of course, Azumanga is still the king. Queen. Whatever.

From what little I know of Azumanga, I very much doubt that.

Anyway, even if it is good,

Gintama > *

Jintor

With the benefit of hindsight I can really see why a whole bunch of people probably watched the first episode of Lucky Star and threw it out the window originally. First episode is not great. At least 12 minutes of goddamn 'proper way to eat a thing' talk. Goddamnit.

Gintama > *

Yeah, yeah, it's on the backlog.

Wiseblade

pfff, you probably are on Team Onodere as well.

I have no idea what that means.

But don't you read Aunt Tits too? Poor taste confirmed.

With the benefit of hindsight I can really see why a whole bunch of people probably watched the first episode of Lucky Star and threw it out the window originally. First episode is not great. At least 12 minutes of goddamn 'proper way to eat a thing' talk. Goddamnit.

All of Lucky Star is like that. It's a completely hollow show. Moderately entertaining in the moment, but easily forgotten 10 minutes later.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

((((;゚Д゚))))))) I loved Lucky Star! It had a great character dynamic, lovely animation and direction, and even a couple chuckle-worthy gags.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I have no idea what that means.

But don't you read Aunt Tits too? Poor taste confirmed.

Smutgaf shall rise up and conquer all.

I thought you were reading Nisekoi? I guess not.

If we talk only about the first season then is Haruhi a top tier anime.

This is one of the few objectively wrong opinions on the internet.

((((;゚Д゚))))))) I loved Lucky Star! It had a great character dynamic, lovely animation and direction, and even a couple chuckle-worthy gags.

It also had bad character design, horribly unfunny characters, horribly unfunny gags, gross colour pallete, and I'm sure there was more.

jman2050

The fact that you put "even a couple chuckle-worthy gags" last really makes me wonder about the priorities of some of you guys.

Jintor

All of Lucky Star is like that. It's a completely hollow show. Moderately entertaining in the moment, but easily forgotten 10 minutes later.

Also, there's nothing wrong with hollow entertainment. It's like a soft serve.

tumblr_lvlrc7YiST1r1iab9.jpg

Cabbage?

Kagami

Lucky☆Star is alright.
It kept me entertained enough to watch the whole thing anyway.
Has some amusing "we've all been there" everyday-humor in it, like the Windows file copy bar. And I sympathize with Konata being annoyed at voice cast changes between drama CDs and anime. I hate it when they change eroge voice casts for anime, too.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
The fact that you put "even a couple chuckle-worthy gags" last really makes me wonder about the priorities of some of you guys.

Because I admit most of my laughs and chuckles can from the characters just being adorable. Like, Tsukasa having trouble working out how to use her cellphone isn't a joke or a gag, per say. It's funny though because it's just cute and adorable watching her changing expression as she tries to figure out what she's doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom