• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Haruhi is indeed pretty insufferable, but I always figured that was the point.

The show isn't about Haruhi, it's about Kyon dealing with her bullshit. Actually, the show is more The Monologuing of Kyon than anything else, and I'm totally okay with that because Kyon is awesome.
The show is about Yuki suffering.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Some possibly good news for Medaka Box fans (all five of you!): apparently before the anime was officially announced, it was leaked that it would be a split-cour show with the first half in Spring, and the second half in Fall. Depending on how they handle the end of this season, there might be a high chance for it to continue in a few months after all.

Yay
?

The show is about Yuki suffering.

Yuki suffering was the only tolerable part of Disappearance. So good to see.

Some possibly good news for Medaka Box fans (all five of you!): apparently before the anime was officially announced, it was leaked that it would be a split-cour show with the first half in Spring, and the second half in Fall. Depending on how they handle the end of this season, there might be a high chance for it to continue in a few months after all.

Thank goodness. I was hoping that it would as it had some concepts that ought to be explored and I really like the musical compositions, and more Zenkishi.

OceanBlue

The show isn't about Haruhi, it's about Kyon dealing with her bullshit. Actually, the show is more The Monologuing of Kyon than anything else, and I'm totally okay with that because Kyon is awesome.
Kyon really is the best part of Haruhi. I can appreciate that she's insufferable for a reason and on purpose, but it doesn't really make her any less insufferable to me. I don't feel much better knowing that I'm purposely being frustrated, I guess.

Kazzy

The show is about Yuki Taniguchi suffering.

cajunator

Banned
Haruhi is one of those shows that I'm not really in love with, but was too popular and strange to ignore. It tried to do things differently, and I appreciated that. I think my main gripe with it is that stupid ass dance ED and the fandom entirely generated by it (same as with Lucky Star)

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I meant the American/English speaking fandom at large. I assume that Japanese nerds still talk about how "bad" it was too.

Again, Haruhi is one of Kyoani's most popular series, it's quite a bit different doing something alternate there then in, say, Nichijou.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Again, Haruhi is one of Kyoani's most popular series, it's quite a bit different doing something alternate there then in, say, Nichijou.
That's the point though. You can only pull that shit with a show that people like and are almost fiending for.

This is why when an American producer tried to basically do the same show (a cop show where the day repeats itself over and over again), it bomba'ed harder than Fractale.

Kazzy

That's the point though. You can only pull that shit with a show that people like and are almost fiending for.

This is why when an American producer tried to basically do the same show (a cop show where the day repeats itself over and over again), it bomba'ed harder than Fractale.

Life on Mars I assume? That was a remake of a UK show though (which is fantastic), so it had that fatal mistake to contend with.

I really like Haruhi, but the problem is it appears to be something extremely interesting in the beginning, then completely squanders it about four episodes in. I still enjoy what it ends up as, but the lost promise is quite a bitter letdown.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

That's what I was saying; if they took more of a risk I would be more impressed by their audacity! That's all I meant. :(

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Medaka Box almost HAS to continue. I see very little point in it stopping at 12.
Seriously? [SPOILERS] I can. Honestly it's one of the dumbest shows that ending it would simply put a stop to the suffering such a series inflicts.

Episode ten was nearly unbearable. Almost the entire episode is characters pointlessly babble on about nothing to no one in particular, resulting in almost no character interaction. The series also falls on its face when it turns to action, failing to cohere to any sort of tension as it offers up lame and sudden excuses in the aftermath of engagements. Instead, Medaka Box relies on one of the most incredibly thoughtless contrivances that everything happened in the blink of an eye, which slowing the series by sending it into even more bogged down waters of recaps and super slow motion. Giving the series even less momentum, still frames are rampant, even striking during explosions where the screen simply shakes to imply motion. Episode ten had an excessive number of shots where characters simply stood around doing nothing in a small room.

Novid

Banned

So they did the first 8 episodes to get rid of 60 chapters of work? dang son.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Life on Mars I assume? That was a remake of a UK show though (which is fantastic), so it had that fatal mistake to contend with.
Life on Mars (and the somewhat inferior Ashes to Ashes) are high concept shows, but they don't play with the format at all. The same with say, Awake from this season.

I mean, Haruhi S2 is antithetical to broadcast television. It's something that no one in their right mind would put on TV, let alone pitch as a show or a follow up to a popular show.

That's what I was saying; if they took more of a risk I would be more impressed by their audacity! That's all I meant. :(
Well, I mean, what more could they have done? Made Haruhi live action for an arc? Air the episodes with a Mandarin dub?

Jintor

They dropped an entire season of their most popular franchise in the shitter.
They then revived it with Disappearance, but whatever

Kazzy

Don't most people consider Haruhi to be a good show, if not great?
I don't hear much griping about it.

It seems to be discounted largely on the damage Season 2 did, which is fair enough. I only watched it at the tail-end of last year though, so I'm a little removed on what the general Zeitgeist was at the time.

Disappearance was a return to form. Overall I consider it a worthwhile franchise, you just need to know what you're getting into!

OceanBlue

I really like Haruhi, but the problem is it appears to be something extremely interesting in the beginning, then completely squanders it about four episodes in. I still enjoy what it ends up as, but the lost promise is quite a bitter letdown.
I feel like the four episode disappointment is due to people watching it in chronological order. It might be because I watched it in broadcast order first, but I can't imagine chronological order being as good just because of how the show was structured.

Makoto

I feel like the four episode disappointment is due to people watching it in chronological order. It might be because I watched it in broadcast order first, but I can't imagine chronological order being as good just because of how the show was structured.
headshaking.gif

First four episodes in chronological order are amazing. The Melancholy arc in general is incredible. If there's any disappointment to be had in season one, it's all the non-Melancholy episodes because then you truly realize that Nagaru Tanigawa has no effing clue what he wants to do with this series.

My man! What struck me about the episode was that maybe the nature of its narrative was what made necessary a editing like that for it to work, a effect of the special care it was put to make the spectator clearly aware of the passage of time through those cyclic scenes and such.

It didn't fill in time gaps with transient information, is what you're trying to say. The episode was character-specific, and so it was edited stylishly in a way that cut away to the juicy bits, not the stuff that smart viewers can just guess.

So, if that was the focus for this episode as an important aspect to highlight, this consequently made the editing look very deliberate on the other episodes because of that. Seems intended then, in my opinion, like scenes roughly patched together on a messy 'exploitation film'.

I think that this kind of editing worked very well for the old Osumi episodes, and such skipping feels fine today as well. But it's different from the Lupin norm, and the fact that people misunderstand the Osumi style is another reason why they'll have trouble appreciating some of Fujikoike's quirks.

I've always thought of him as a character straightly lifted from a work of Mr. Tezuka, like a tribute.
What? some evil magician Black Jack? That sounds silly—and typical of Osumi, too.

kore desu zombie s2 10 "finale"

meh, one of the better amnesia twists i've seen. swag zombie is pretty swag. Gentlemen slime made me laugh.
truth1.jpg

Swag truth

Oh well, hope they can get around to do another season. Was worth it just for:
ib1uwmLRjc5rpq.gif

Anyhow. see you soon Eu! D:

end.jpg

[REDACTED]

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
AnimeGAF is a very small subset of the anime fandom at large, and often with quite contrary opinions.

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one who likes the stuff that has little conflict and doesn't mind a lack of plot. Or at least is willing to admit it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
kore desu zombie s2 10 "finale"

meh, one of the better amnesia twists i've seen. swag zombie is pretty swag. Gentlemen slime made me laugh.

Is it meh or "better"? lol

Honestly, I had no idea what the point of the episode was. Why was
his memory wiped
anyway?

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one who likes the stuff that has little conflict and doesn't mind a lack of plot. Or at least is willing to admit it.
I like HidaSketch, so. <shrug>

OceanBlue

headshaking.gif

First four episodes in chronological order are amazing. The Melancholy arc in general is incredible. If there's any disappointment to be had in season one, it's all the non-Melancholy episodes because then you truly realize that Nagaru Tanigawa has no effing clue what he wants to do with this series.

Well, I can agree with that, I guess. Outside of Disappearance and novels 9-11, the novels are generally just okay to me.

I do but I'm not sure I'm quite "AnimeGAF" yet.

Perhaps. I'll admit that I honestly overlooked the first episodes of Lupin Series 1 as "those episodes I had to see to get to the Miyazaki/Takahata stuff" so it may have developed a negative bias. Now that I know more about Osumi I may revisit them. I didn't enjoy them much except for the prison break one, which was really good and quite fun. The way the editing was handled in that ep was great, it wouldn't have worked without the editing at all.

You probably didn't give them the light of day, yeah. Most people don't because they see the star billing on the later episodes in the series, so they slog through Osumi and get to the "good stuff". But I watch the Green Jacket series mostly for Osumi, because I can get a much-more fulfilling straight-Lupin experience just with the Red Jacket episodes, which I think benefit from better budgeting, production, and directing overall.

Looking back, I wouldn't be surprised if you were right about the exploitation film angle. Sort of like those low-budget Italian crime movies, maybe?

It always felt more French New Wave than Italian Neo-Realist. The latter is usually the style that Takahata adheres to, though spuriously whenever he gets into his Expressionist scenes, but Osumi probably wasn't influenced by any of the European styles directly/consciously. Things just came together, he was accustomed to a character-based approach from his puppet-theatre line of work, and so he had a lot of room to develop stylistically. Episode 2, for example, feels like a Seijun Suzuki film, with a lot of stylish cuts and violence throughout, but Episode 4 is more similar to what Takahata could have done for the given scenario. What never changes in these episodes is how focused they are on the character relationships and how each character bends to a scenario.

Also I have to say that you can sometimes feel that Miyazaki Touch™ on the series. The bad one. That episode where Lupin
un-kidnaps that girl who is the daughter of one of his father's thief comrades
was just ugh. I can understand why some Lupin fans complain about how his Lupin is a corny white knight character because that episode is pretty bad in that aspect, it's just kinda obnoxious. I'll still defend Cagliostro for doing kinda but not really the same thing because in Cagliostro it feels a lot more like a natural development happening rather than a in-your-face Miyazakism.

Yeah: that's not Lupin to me, so much as it is Miyazaki's Lupin who's probably made of plot armor underneath.

Still not finished with the series. Two episodes left...
Finish it. Finiiiiiish it! Classic anime needs more discussion around these parts, especially with the Summer season coming this way.

I havent't seen much of actual Lupin III series, but I have a feeling I wont like it nearly as much as Castle of Cagliostro.
CoC is exceptionally-directed, as was Mystery of Mamo and the Legend of the Gold of Babylon. The TV series, for the most part, are inconsistent and episodic, leaving fans to mainly prefer certain subsets of whole series, much how I prefer Masaaki Osumi's Green Jacket episodes over the majority of early-Red Jacket mush. There's a lot of Lupin material out there, though, and the sheer quantity of stuff to watch and read makes being a Lupin fan quite fun.

Yep, that is the impression it gives me, and sometimes I wonder if that is one of the reasons why even today Lupin the Third is regarded as such a popular and iconic character in Italy.

—Besides the fact that they aired it in Italy at all! Lupin's a notably-charismatic character anyway, so I guess that counts too.

Even if I prefer Mr. &#332;sumi's episodes (as I said at other times, like here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33672787&postcount=3255 or here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36575428&postcount=5308), I respect the task that Mr. Miyazaki & Mr. Takahata made possible taking over the reigns of the production after all. I've thought that the difficult position in which they affronted such a work didn't leave them time to develop their ideas further and adapt them into each episode's time, and I always excused them because of that even if I think it was a very good work all things considered.

The two of them has been planning to go work with Otsuka at TMS for a while, already, but Osumi being fired for a failing show that just wouldn't do well ratings-wise (and still faltered after the directing-duo came on to make the show less edgy) was the catalyst for their arrival. I'm sure they already had some ideas, though rescuing or at least trying to rescue the series was enough a difficult task.

I think that the episode you mention would have benefited of a longer running time proper of a film like Lupin the Third: Castle of Cagliostro to expand on what it tried to achieve, because it is true certain episodes they made lacked the kind of refinement that afterwards Farewell, Beloved Lupin (for example) had, taking into account the little constraints Mr. Miyazaki suffered to work on making this self-homage from his position at Telecom Animation Film Co.,Ltd., as this studio collaborated with the occasional but finest contributions to the 2nd series.
He and Yasuo Otsuka really pumped out original, exciting TV anime at that time too. They were all getting ready to do something big, the final push before they began production for Castle of Cagliostro. Exciting times for Miyazaki Lupin fans!

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka 10

They ended it without the "main antagonist" even showing up. I'm guessing there is at least going to be another episode on the blurays even if there is no season 3.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I like HidaSketch, so. <shrug>

I need to make time for that one too. My backlog... ((((&#65307;&#65439;&#1044;&#65439;)))))))

I like stuff like that if they're good! :p

:D Me too, but I'm pretty compared to you my standards for "good" are quite a big lower.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469952

but no plot animes are sometimes not that bad, sure

I need to check the thread out at some point, one more to add to the list.

I do but I'm not sure I'm quite "AnimeGAF" yet.

I say you are, so there! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom