• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Is this a topic about terrible musical choices now? If so, I know I bitched about this a few days ago, but the worst. (Rebuild of Evangelion spoilers)

Then again, it was already ruined when
they replaced Toji with Asuka
anyway.

Ultimadrago

As someone who hyped the series like crazy prior to the release. Fujikolupin is a huge dissapointment, it's only claim to fame is that the first 2 episodes and the 6th episode were genuinely good!

I do find the series more watchable on a daily basis than most people though. And don't see myself dropping it at this point, despite the bad things I'm hearing about the latest episode.

It's alright. I'm still your fan, Lafiel.

Basically the only episode that ended on a cliffhanger was ruined by that song. lol

It's funny, even for episode 7, they went with silent eye-catches because of the seriousness of the episode. But you can't really do anything about the ED I suppose.

You can definitely do something about the ED - skip it, and have credits play over the closing scenes of the episode, or even over black with different music. Quite a few shows have done that.

Zeta Gundam's OP was ruined by J-Pop. It's so much better with the orchestral theme itself, insomuch that it gave me hopes for a serious, well-developed TV series that wouldn't be filled with Tominotropes. So epic.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You can definitely do something about the ED - skip it, and have credits play over the closing scenes of the episode, or even over black with different music. Quite a few shows have done that.
Eh, they already did that for the finale. Either they didn't want to do it twice in a row or there was some reason why they didn't think it would matter.

Of course, it's only tone whiplash for the single episode anyway, so it doesn't really matter in the long run.

Yes but DAT ED. OMG.
So cute. so catchy.
AIJOU YUJOU

Jex

As someone who hyped the series like crazy prior to the release. Fujikolupin is a huge dissapointment, it's only claim to fame is that the first 2 episodes and the 6th episode were genuinely good!

I do find the series more watchable on a daily basis than most people though. And don't see myself dropping it at this point, despite the bad things I'm hearing about the latest episode.
Sounds like a classic sunk-cost fallacy has trapped you into watching a show you don't really care about until it ends. It's unfortunate how often this affects people in this thread - it's okay to drop a show, even if you've already watched most of it!

Makoto

Tsuritama 9

Her name is Koko, she is loco I said "Oh no"
:(

She'll be fine. Just like Sakura's brief disappearance, Tsuritama is too lighthearted to let anything awful happen to its characters.

Jex

Zeta Gundam's OP was ruined by J-Pop. It's so much better with the orchestral theme itself, insomuch that it gave me hopes for a serious, well-developed TV series that wouldn't be filled with Tominotropes. So epic.

I think you and I are the only two people on GAF who share this exact opinion. No, really, I was eviscerated for mentioning that in the Gundam thread.
Is this a topic about terrible musical choices now? If so, I know I bitched about this a few days ago, but the worst. (Rebuild of Evangelion spoilers)

Then again, it was already ruined when
they replaced Toji with Asuka
anyway.

Sometimes you can deliberately score a music with the 'wrong' music to great effect, as the End of Evangelion demonstrates. That Rebuild fails so badly in an attempt to recreate that same atmosphere speaks volumes about how little they seem to understand what made the original good.

Narag

Sounds like a classic sunk-cost fallacy has trapped you into watching a show you don't really care about until it ends. It's unfortunate how often this affects people in this thread - it's okay to drop a show, even if you've already watched most of it!

I hate having dropped entries on MAL!

Steroyd

Makoto said:
Her name is Koko, she is loco I said "Oh no"

Says Makoto.

Kids on a Slope - 09

Well damn, I feel a little bit of a terrible human being when my thought process went in the way of
Yurika was going to jump infront of the train,
ah well at least with that out of the way, the show won't get dragged down anymore thankfully.

Jex

Apollon - 07

Great episode with a triumphant conclusion. It's easy to forget about the inane romances or the contrived setups or how plot only seems to move forward with someone eavesdropping on someone else when all the development of the past two episodes (albeit the last one being mythical, existing only in that space where bad shows that never existed ala DtBs2 go) culminate in this indian tiger hunting fashion.

Well, if we took eavesdropping out of fiction then we'd have to throw away hundreds of years of stories! It's popularity is truly timeless.

Narag

I think you and I are the only two people on GAF who share this exact opinion. No, really, I was eviscerated for mentioning that in the Gundam thread.

I'm of the same opinion actually. I was disappointed when I finally heard the real thing as it felt less appropriate. But what do I know? I like the Richie Kotzen version of the 0083 theme better too.

That's not cool. I should go there to teach them a lesson like Joe Yabuki.

Sometimes you can deliberately score a music with the 'wrong' music to great effect, as the End of Evangelion demonstrates. That Rebuild fails so badly in an attempt to recreate that same atmosphere speaks volumes about how little they seem to understand what made the original good.
Pretty much. It's a real shame that they couldn't even match the original, let alone make it better.

Pop music would fit 0083 to a tee. Lovey-dovey stories like that deserve something as awfully-fitting.

Jex

I'm of the same opinion actually. I was disappointed when I finally heard the real thing as it felt less appropriate. But what do I know? I like the Richie Kotzen version of the 0083 theme better too.

But the 0083 OP is the one good thing about 0083!
Could Assassin defeat anyone in the One Piece universe? Even people who went down in one hit like Bellamy?

It's been months and months since season one, could you guys please stop wailing on Assassin?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This is comedy gold.
You are welcome to believe that Fujiko is a strong series, but it's tripping up all over itself. It is hard to tear in too much before it ends, but there are introductions to inconsistencies now that are throwing me for a loop.

What are the true effects of the "dizzy dizzy" drug? This is something that the show itself doesn't seem able to keep straight, and it receives a new purpose in this episode in which it suddenly alters the mind in a very specific way. Where was this effect on the cult in episode one?

Character personalities and motives are simply non-existent or cast off to the side frequently in service of loosely pushing forward a plot seemingly irrelevant to the bulk of the cast. Much of the reasoning revealed in the most recent episode indicates that the
flat and cold nature of every character will all be summed up in an ultimately meaningless fashion. The series is helplessly lost between being a Lupin show and working as a pet art project. The two are at odds, particularly when it comes to the episodic and over the top nature of Lupin, and the emotionless overarching plot that views its characters as little more than tools to push an agenda down the viewer's collective throats.

Jex

Legend of the Legendary Heroes 01

Only slightly above generic, but still watchable.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood: OVA

T'was okay.

Cat Planet Cuties 01

This tripe is oddly enjoyable. It's like Full Metal Panic with even more (well, any) stupid harem bullshit. Plus catgirls.
Rewatching Lucky Star. You know, it's amazing how Kyoani's productions are always so distinct from the products of just about every other studio. Even their low tier stuff is high tier. Just from a cinematic framing perspective, use of music, animation... it's all perfectly engineered.

Fuck this cream bun conversation though.
Did you like, run out of good anime to watch or something?
What you mean to say is "A fool is soon NTR'd by his money."

How do you even sleep at night, after writing posts like these?

Theonik

Basically the only episode that ended on a cliffhanger was ruined by that song. lol

It's funny, even for episode 7, they went with silent eye-catches because of the seriousness of the episode. But you can't really do anything about the ED I suppose.
Well you can, just use a different song for that episode's ED. I seem to recall some shows doing that. And Mawaru Penguindrum
varies its EDs towards the end of the show for each episode with lyrics matching somewhat to the events of that episode
[/SPOILER]

Medaka Box 10
uclwu.gif

So much talking. Talk, talk, talk.
Where's the fighting.

Jex

Wasn't that kind of the point though? She was insufferable but had to pacified because of her abilities. It also served as some sort of obstacle for Kyon to have to run up against, otherwise the big love-hate dynamic that it all hinges upon would seem redundant.

It's not often that you find a writer deliberately trying to make an 'annoying' or insufferable character one of the most important characters in the series as a whole. The only time I can ever think of it actually working out is in The Twelve Kingdoms but that's only because that series had amazing character development. I can't say the same for Haruhi.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I almost began to formulate an argument that the scene feels catered toward modern otaku sensibilities by downplaying the raw brutality of the scene and emphasizing sappy manufactured
waifu-centric
poignancy, but I realized that I'm only yelling at clouds and really don't have any evidence.

I hate having dropped entries on MAL!

I have over a hundred, which puts me in the 99th percentile of members with dropped series. Feels good.

Jex

I really like Haruhi, but the problem is it appears to be something extremely interesting in the beginning, then completely squanders it about four episodes in. I still enjoy what it ends up as, but the lost promise is quite a bitter letdown.

This happens with an extremely large number of anime with 'interesting premises', which is one the reasons I find it hard to give out 'bonus points' to a show for simply trying something new.

Jex

The list of things more fatiguing than twenty minutes of Nisio monologues is pretty small.

It's usually dialogue though.
It sounds like watching the show is a genuinely painful experience for you - why do you continue?
I almost began to formulate an argument that the scene feels catered toward modern otaku sensibilities by downplaying the raw brutality of the scene and emphasizing sappy manufactured
waifu-centric
poignancy, but I realized that I'm only yelling at clouds and really don't have any evidence.

I actually think its far more likely that the scene doesn't work because of the general incompetence on the part of the people who put it together.

Jex

I have over a hundred, which puts me in the 99th percentile of members with dropped series. Feels good.

That's pretty impressive, I imagine that I have only dropped about 40 or so shows. Then again, I haven't really watched that much anime yet.

Jex

You don't need to watch everything, you know. I became a happier man after dropping half of the shows I was keeping up with.

Oh, I know. I've dropped a few hows this season already:

Sankarea
Hyouka
Upotte

so adding a few more to that list wouldn't be too painful.

I really need to sit down and write proper reviews for Emma Season 2 and Shiguri as well - I am falling too far behind.
animesuki > animegaf, so it truly is a worthy prize.

I understand that they have more intelligent and indepth discussions of sakuga.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Kids on the Slope 9 - I think this episode would have been really good if brother jun was a actual character. The emotional impact his conclusion had was completely eh, because most of us really don't give a shit about him at this point. Aside from that, I really enjoyed the episode, some of the musical cues were pretty damn good, and it had a awesome performance at the end which is always a plus for a show like this!

Jex

The really weird thing is that my only previous exposure to Lupin is the first series and I'm still not feeling the current series.

The way I am reading this seems to imply that you haven't seen The Castle of Cagliostro - is this correct?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Over a hundred dropped?

I feel like I am acquainted with a different Pierrot!

I actually had a life when I was in college, so I had far lower tolerance for bad anime!

I actually think its far more likely that the scene doesn't work because of the general incompetence on the part of the people who put it together.

Yes, I wouldn't disagree with this. It's just tempting to reflexively blame "the moe" whenever an adaptation crashes and burns compared to the original.

You need to undrop Trapeze.

As much as I loved Mononoke, Trapeze didn't do much for me when I originally watched it. I'd like to think that I would enjoy it if I gave it a second chance.

That's pretty impressive, I imagine that I have only dropped about 40 or so shows. Then again, I haven't really watched that much anime yet.

Most of my dropped series were dropped after only one or two episodes and came from a period in which I was much more unforgiving with first impressions. I could probably watch half of the series on my dropped list to completion with little or no difficulty today if I wished to do so.

Steroyd

Tsuritama - 09

Everything is coming along nicely, and it doesn't drag itself down with dramatic moments at all, despite this being a largely lighthearted and colourful show... well I say colourful, this episode was mostly during the nighttime, to reflect it's rather dark end of the world direction it's heading in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom