• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Anecdotal trivia: My dad was the person who got me into Evangelion. By the time we had finished he hated it because it was more psychobabble crap than giant robots beating the shit out of monsters.

What about when the two combined, as in The End of Evangelion?

Yes, I wouldn't disagree with this. It's just tempting to reflexively blame "the moe" whenever an adaptation crashes and burns compared to the original.

Blaming "moe" is often the cheap way out.

As much as I loved Mononoke, Trapeze didn't do much for me when I originally watched it. I'd like to think that I would enjoy it if I gave it a second chance.

I wasn't sure about Trapeze initially, but it gradually builds up episode by episode to a spectacular conclusion. As a series I actually like it better than Mononoke.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The way I am reading this seems to imply that you haven't seen The Castle of Cagliostro - is this correct?

I haven't seen it. It sounds like the perfect thing to wash the bitter taste of Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna out of my mouth, so I will likely watch it in the coming weeks.

animesuki > animegaf, so it truly is a worthy prize.

Hyouka is the only series this season that was apparently popular enough to warrant its own subforum.

Huh.

I don't think I ever understood what that meant.

Reputation! Your official forum e-peen meter.

Jex

Yes, I wouldn't disagree with this. It's just tempting to reflexively blame "the moe" whenever an adaptation crashes and burns compared to the original.
On the other hand, there are interviews where the creators talk about how they created Maki solely to pander to the otaku market, so I suppose anything is possible.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I wasn't sure about Trapeze initially, but it gradually builds up episode by episode to a spectacular conclusion. As a series I actually like it better than Mononoke.

I'll be sure to squeeze it into my summer, then!

On the other hand, there are interviews where the creators talk about how they created Maki solely to pander to the otaku market, so I suppose anything is possible.

Even without the existence of interviews, there's really no other conclusion that one could arrive at when pondering the reasons for Mari's existence. It's that blatant.

Tsuritama 09
lmWgp.gif

Stuff happens! at a reasonable pace!
I liked this episode. So many different things were happening yet everything is going at a good pace. This has definitely got me wanting to see next week's episode.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It sounds like watching the show is a genuinely painful experience for you - why do you continue?
I stuck with Medaka Box because it offered a genre shift, and I was curious to see its effect on the show and if I might enjoy it more after the change. I might watch or flick through what follows to see where the animation budget went.

Jex

Even without the existence of interviews, there's really no other conclusion that one could arrive at when pondering the reasons for Mari's existence. It's that blatant.

Well, they also mentioned that Mari was a rather more fleshed out character in the original script for 2.0 but they had to cut out those scenes because there wasn't nearly enough time for them.

Not that excuses anything, rather, it simply highlights how inefficient their creative process was/
I haven't seen it. It sounds like the perfect thing to wash the bitter taste of Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna out of my mouth, so I will likely watch it in the coming weeks.
I assume that every single person in this thread has already seen every single Hayo Miyzaki series - even though I know that isn't the case. This is probably because the first thing I did was getting into anime was watch works from creators that I could trust, so I watched all his work over a very short period.

ISometimes you can deliberately score a music with the 'wrong' music to great effect, as the End of Evangelion demonstrates. That Rebuild fails so badly in an attempt to recreate that same atmosphere speaks volumes about how little they seem to understand what made the original good.
To be fair, I thought it worked quite well at the end of 2.0. Which makes me loathe the
01 vs 03 fight
even more since its awfulness takes away from that final scene.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I believe I will once this season winds closer still to an end.

We're pretty close! Just get to watching. Tsuritama feels like something that would be really painless to marathon.

I assume that every single person in this thread has already seen every single Hayo Miyzaki series - even though I know that isn't the case. This is probably because the first thing I did was getting into anime was watch works from creators that I could trust, so I watched all his work over a very short period.

It's not that unreasonable of an expectation considering that Miyazaki's name is bandied about as the definitive seal of greatness. For the record, I haven't seen Ponyo or Porco Rosso either, though I did watch every other Miyazaki film within a year or so of getting into anime and have watched most of them multiple times.

edit:

I do hope you've at least watched Porco Rosso, Pierrot.

oops.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Sounds like a classic sunk-cost fallacy has trapped you into watching a show you don't really care about until it ends. It's unfortunate how often this affects people in this thread - it's okay to drop a show, even if you've already watched most of it!
Not so sure about that, there's nothing about Fujikolupin that's bad enough to make me drop it at this point. At least compared to the last few shows I dropped recently - Un-go and Guilty crown!

I've also kind of dropped Nisemonogatari and Rinne no lagrange but I'm probably going finish off the former.. eventually.

Jex

The Deadman Wonderland impressions in the Toonami thread are more entertaining than the show itself!

That isn't difficult though, most things are more entertaining than Deadman Wonderland up to and including a visit to the dentist.
Considering how bad the writing generally is so far, I can't blame them. Casshern Sins is the type of show that shouldn't be watched on a weekly basis.
If bad writing made people drop shows then they wouldn't still be watching Deadman Wonderland.
Not so sure about that, there's nothing about Fujikolupin that's bad enough to make me drop it at this point. At least compared to the last few shows I dropped recently - Un-go and Guilty crown!

Well, the question I always ask myself is 'what justified my continued investment in a show' as opposed to 'is it so painful that I can no longer proceed with the show'.

Sengoku Collection 10
Oh, Fuuma, why you so trolling?
So, part two of the maid doing something. I was amused by the wrong recap at least and the whole exchange with Fuuma.
Nice to get some fight scenes and something actually resembling a plot that extends more than an episode.
It wasn't bad, not sure why this wasn't the only Hojo episode since it was pretty much self contained.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Tsuritama 9 - This show is so amazing. The emotional impact of some of the events was incredibly well-done; and I loved the call-backs to the previous episode. So excited for next week!

BluWacky

[Kids on the Slope] - 8
As has been mentioned elsewhere, the episode suffers from some rather dull and emotionless direction coupled with an extremely low budget flashback sequence. Perhaps this could be excused if the episode didn't devote so much time to Yurika, a show that the audience probably didn't care about before and certainly wont like now. Her entire 'arc' feels off and the amount of time that's been spent on it is annoying to those who understand that there's not too much time left in the show.

I'm actually quite fond of Yurika. I think it's nice for the show to give Ritsuko another female character that, although she's theoretically her rival, gets on pretty well with her. I also liked Jun's backstory - I realise the JCP student thing is a bit overplayed in Japanese-fiction-I've-consumed (coming a mere week after I watched the film of Norwegian Wood, a book I read many years ago), but after the post you linked to recently condemning the show in part for not being 60s enough I thought it was a nice reminder of the setting of what is essentially a high school romance show that just happens to be impeccably executed.

I agree that the episode is a bit cheap in how it executes much of this material, but I don't have a huge issue with Yurika and Jun's stories.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Kids on the Slope 09:

m0iYcl.jpg

The blue string of fate means, uhh.....I have no idea.

Wow. This show certainly has an amazing talent for coming back incredibly strongly after faltering. The events of this episode certainly make the events of the previous episode seem much less grievous in hindsight, and ultimately
I can't see the temporary deviation of the plot toward Jun and Yurika's side story as all that bad when the resolution was so fantastic. What a really elegant and romantic way to write them both out of the show at once

I especially enjoyed the scene between
Ritsuko and Yurika after they fished the ball of yarn out of the garbage. It was the first time in the show that Yurika felt "real" to me; previously she wavered intermittently between walking plot device and boringly uptight, reserved oujosama, but something about that brief conversation on Ritsuko's feelings gave Yurika more personality and warmth than I'd seen from her. I don't know if this was meant to reflect the influence that Jun had had on her or if Ritsuko's words were causing Yurika to have a personal revelation regarding her own feelings, but it was a nicely-done conversation

Also loved
the jazz duel. There's no better way to communicate your feelings, hahaah

7Th

The point where Redline comes closest to something like Dead Leaves is the point where it becomes visually incoherent.

Redline never goes far enough; the agressive, manic storyboarding of Dead Leaves makes it a lot more compelling in the long run.

Dead Leaves certainly has more interesting animation, for the most part. Koike's main strength is in world-building, plus the fact that he's an excellent key animator and has a lot of flair for his character designs.

Redline's better, though.

Ultimadrago

Tsuritama 2

BCQs3.jpg

These aliens are the true danger to Earth.

That girl is dangerous!

Some of the lighter tensions are portrayed alright,
Yuki with his "save the world" obligation shoved in his face, Haru consistently on his back, some father issues with that one kid.
Does Haru acting towards not be an annoying creep all the time count as development?

Anyways, I can't say I'm very invested, but this worked better with me than the first episode did. The colors pop out nicely, though I'm still not fond of the overall character design. Overall, not a shabby experience with this episode. I want to see how it shoots of now that all the same players are finally in one room.

OfByd.jpg

Hah, what?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Redline never goes far enough; the agressive, manic storyboarding of Dead Leaves makes it a lot more compelling in the long run.
To bad that doesn't make for a "very" good film. Dead leaves is just a hot mess of nothingness, Redline is more coherent.

Steroyd

Kids on the Slope 09:

I especially enjoyed the scene between
Ritsuko and Yurika after they fished the ball of yarn out of the garbage. It was the first time in the show that Yurika felt "real" to me; previously she wavered intermittently between walking plot device and boringly uptight, reserved oujosama, but something about that brief conversation on Ritsuko's feelings gave Yurika more personality and warmth than I'd seen from her. I don't know if this was meant to reflect the influence that Jun had had on her or if Ritsuko's words were causing Yurika to have a personal revelation regarding her own feelings, but it was a nicely-done conversation

I felt they missed a trick with Yurika when they
brought on the whole arranged marriage thing in the last seconds before I was willing her to jump infront of the train, if they played that aspect of her tangent storyline, as she called it "her world" (again, mentioned in the last minutes), rather than just being there for the sake of it, then maybe that train scene would have had more impact at the end, rather than me thinking "thank fuck she's out of the show now".

Nah, I'm not seeing it.

They're attractive, distinctive, and work really well for animation with all their sleek curves. I really like Atsuya Uki's style.

I mean, I really can't think of any show right now with better designs. Kids on the Slope's are kind of clunky. Fate/Zero's are alright, but they're kind of generic thanks to Takeuchi. Hyouka's are easy on the eyes, but not particularly distinctive. My second-favorite designs would be those of MGX.

Sakamichi no Apollon 09
ru3wl.gif

Good job show for getting back to form, especially with the latter half of the episode. It was a good resolution for two characters I really didn't care too much about. Now bring back focus onto the important characters!

Narag

So I've been wondering how does one tell of the story boarding in a show is good or not? I feel like I'm missing out sometimes when I read the story boarding talk as I neither have the eye for such nor any idea how to develop such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom