• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Fujiko's biggest sin for me is that the main cast is neither relatable nor admirable, so there's no real bait for me to keep on watching it when the only link between the stories are the characters themselves. At least seven episodes in, which is when I dropped it.

Regardless of whether they're "good" people or not, the characters in Fujikoike are interesting, and all of the relationships seen in the regular series' are coming together and developing the way they should. Not to mention the change-ups in direction and style seen in each origin episode, too! I even appreciate the direction they took with Zenigata, since he now seems to be less interested in groping Fujiko and more immersed with the L.Y.A. case itself. Character development is doing just fine, if not better than fine, in this series.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Regardless of whether they're "good" people or not, the characters in Fujikoike are interesting, and all of the relationships seen in the regular series' are coming together and developing the way they should. Not to mention the change-ups in direction and style seen in each origin episode, too! I even appreciate the direction they took with Zenigata, since he now seems to be less interested in groping Fujiko and more immersed with the L.Y.A. case itself. Character development is doing just fine, if not better than fine, in this series.
People don't have to be good to be admirable. My point was more along the lines that there's nothing interesting about these thieves/sluts/samurai friendos that makes me want to keep up with their stories. All the stuff they do is edgy, but it's not enticing. Episode two was a nice delusion. :(

Well: these are the characters of the Lupin franchise. The only one who's really different in Fujikoike is Zenigata, and even that seems to be changing—Lupin's more like his Osumi incarnation, for that matter. You either like them or you don't!

They were trying to introduce people to Lupin at 1 AM in the morning, Japan time? That's definitely not the focus of the show—there's a reason they hyped up the latest Green Jacket BD release, after all. This is the series staff's chance to experiment and create a new kind of Lupin show, and it shows.

duckroll

More excuses. The show sucks and people don't like it. It has nothing to do with the time slot. It's because the show sucks.

Go_Ly_Dow

apollon 9

first 1/4 was like a microsoft kinect demonstration

last 3/4 was the ubisoft conference

thankfully a wonderbook type presentation didn't occur

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
They were trying to introduce people to Lupin at 1 AM in the morning, Japan time? That's definitely not the focus of the show—there's a reason they hyped up the latest Green Jacket BD release, after all. This is the series staff's chance to experiment and create a new kind of Lupin show, and it shows.
I don't wanna argue that all animus have to be tailored to my tastes, but in this case it's disappointing because the show started very strong and I was totally on board with it. It just couldn't replicate the same level of interest in me after that great opener, which makes me wonder if maybe I just liked it because it was something different to the constant moéshit we get these days.

More excuses. The show sucks and people don't like it. It has nothing to do with the time slot. It's because the show sucks.
That's a different argument, though. It's going to suck for an audience that doesn't understand what's going on with it.

If you're trying to spite me, say that again to people who do like it. And if you're going to discredit their opinions, then give me a good reason to discredit my arguments too.

Tsuritama 9

The character work put in throughout the show is paying off in a big way. The direction, the animation, the music, the narrative turns - they're strong, but it all functions as support for the relationships at its core. I really, deeply care about the characters and what happens to them, which makes the problems they face incredibly compelling.
Koko :(

My only complaint would be that the eyecatches feel out of place by this point.

The Evangelion defence?
Yeah.

I'm not seeing the flaws that others are seeing in this show. 3 (debatably) mediocre episodes out of 13 episodes total is noticeable, but that doesn't automatically make the rest of the series a stinker if the rest just happens to keep the momentum flowing. I'd be content to change my opinion if the show ends badly, though.

Dresden

The Evangelion defence?

Eva is totally enjoyable without all the pseudo-deep slapdash christian symbolism stuff, though. It's a good show on its own.

I think I like Mine Fujiko more than most people here, but it certainly hasn't been consistent with its production or its writing.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Eva is totally enjoyable without all the pseudo-deep slapdash christian symbolism stuff, though. It's a good show on its own.
Anecdotal trivia: My dad was the person who got me into Evangelion. By the time we had finished he hated it because it was more psychobabble crap than giant robots beating the shit out of monsters.

Jex

Tsuritama 9

My only complaint would be that the eyecatches feel out of place by this point.

This was a major problem during serious Sailor Moon finales. A related problem is when the merry, upbeat jingle of the ED plays over Yuki saying something fairly serious. More people need to pay attention to how Fate/Zero handled these matters!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Fresh Precure! 02:

rJL0gl.jpg

If this is Moebius' plan to take over the world, he should just quit right now.

Another episode, another Cure, this time Aono Miki aka Cure Berry.

Well, what do we know about Miki? Basically, she's ostensibly perfect and has an uncomfortably-close relationship with her sickly brother, who many people accidentally mistake for her boyfriend. This was her intro episode.

I'm already reevaluating some of the statements that I made about the art style in the first episode, though I'm not convinced that it works for this show yet. The pencil sketch look is very prevalent, and I'm beginning to turn to the opinion that it actually looks good but it doesn't mesh with the character designs very well, which are much cleaner on the whole. Here's an example of a shot that was actually kind of visually interesting:

Another good sign for the show is that it's at least one-for-two on tolerable mascots. Chiffon is just a babby cuteblob doll thing, but Tart the weasel is actually more in the vein of Luna/Artemis, being an animal with full adult human cognition. He's generally exasperated and not particularly cute, which makes him sort of a much grumpier version of Cologne from Heartcatch. Unfortunately, there are also little floating crystalline key-shaped things with big eyes that resemble the horrid Fairy Tones from Suite, so I have no doubt that Fresh is going to have its own share of annoying mascot shit even with the presence of a good character like Tart.

The Waka...Wakame...whatever the MotWs are called in this series are already second to the Desertrians in Heartcatch in terms of creativity. They actually exhibit properties of the objects that they're created from. For example, in this episode, the monster was created from a soda machine and had the power to shoot various drinks from a giant hose as well as the power to launch flurries of cola cans Itano Circus-style. It was fairly fun to watch and makes up for the as-of-now dull attacks and battle choreography of the Precure. If the monsters had a more human shape, they'd pretty much just be Daimons!

Fresh Precure! 03:

Yamabuki Inori aka Cure Pine aka character who is destined to have the best scenes because she's the yellow precure. She works at (presumably her parents') veterinary clinic and loves animals. That's about it.

I think I have the names of the enemies down now. They're called Nakewameke, which is kind of a tongue-twister. I believe it simply translates to "screaming and crying". If nothing else, it gets the enemies' objective across. Nakewameke continue to be pretty cool, especially considering that this might be the first instance that I'm aware of in which a living creature is turned into a MotW in a Precure series:

It's only episode three and they're already fighting something that could pass for a boss in Dark Souls instead of telephones and toasters like most other Precures would. If Love and crew were in the Heartcatch universe they could fuck up Dune by episode ten at this rate and without the aid of plastic shit.

The line art in this show continues to be really uneven. What's the last anime you can think of that had jaggies in it? Fresh Precure continues not to be a looker, but it's showing signs of heart, at least.

Fresh Precure! 04:

This fucker right here. You think you know horrible mascots, but you don't know horrible mascots. Meet Chiffon, a screaming, crying, sniveling, babbling, telekinetic (!) piece of shit who's only there to girly up the show and sell stuffed animals. I know that that describes every mascot, but the others can actually communicate, at least. Chiffon doesn't even have enough language for an annoying verbal tick~kuru~nyapu nyapu~Ichuuukiiiii. As mentioned, he can also make stuff move with his mind, so I expect all sorts of really dumb hijinks over the course of the series.

j1nhnl.jpg

My face after realizing I'm stuck with Chiffon for 46 more episodes.

To top it all off, the girls have to feed him with some kind of plastic device that looks suspiciously like a tamagotchi and poofs out bottles of milk. You mean that this show isn't going to rake in the yens selling juicers and doughnut makers?

The villains all have fairly good design.............for a Precure series. A high bar, I know. Wester looks like he could hold his own in a fight against that pinnacle of Precure villain masculinity Kumojacky, but that's an issue to be resolved in terrible fanfiction that I'll probably write someday. Members of Infinity follow the usual Precure villain routine. Scour the immediate vicinity for happiness -> summon a monster when happiness is found -> get wrecked by little girls. These dudes (and one lady who I hope figures very prominently into the series) at least manage to look not terrible while doing it. And when you're destined to lose, isn't that really all that matters?

This was a major problem during serious Sailor Moon finales. A related problem is when the merry, upbeat jingle of the ED plays over Yuki saying something fairly serious. More people need to pay attention to how Fate/Zero handled these matters!

We can't all be as good as ufotable.

Although I can't say the ED song has bothered me in Tsuritama - it's a sign of hope and resolve even in the face of adversity.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
At least Mad Pierrot's Fresh Precure posts will provide motivation for me to hurry the hell up with Sailor Moon R, Suite Precure, and One Piece!

Steroyd

Recorder to Randsell - 23

Atsushi: "I look like an adult, but I'm a grade schooler."

Sayo's devil: "Who cares he looks like an adult."

Sayo's angel: "Yeah who cares he looks like an adult."

Looks like she's resolved something.

This was definately a new kind of creepy for me, which is saying something.

Jex

[Eureka Seven Ao] - 8

The only remarkable part about this episode was how Ao failed to steal a mecha for his own purposes. For those of who aren't familiar with the mecha genre and it's tropes it's usually incredibly simple for a 12 year old boy to steal a multi-billion dollar piece of military equipment because no-one ever locks them.

Apart from that there's nothing really worth mentioning about this episode. I suppose we got some development between Fleur and Ao but it was entirely by way of forced exposition so I can't really approve of it.

The 'invasion' of the secrets has to be one of the least tense invasions of monsters/aliens in any mecha show that I have seen. The fact that it's been going on for hundreds of years just adds to the feeling that it doesn't matter if anyone ever bothers to intercepts these 'secrets'. I don't really care whether they land in a scrub coral or not.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I've always wondered what it would feel like to be a disappointment to my parents. I probably am and they're just too nice to say anything.

Theonik

Some series have people watching it discussing which their favorite episode is, because it's so good. Fujiko regularly has people comparing which the worst episode is, because it's so bad.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Nah, Fujiko has people discussing what are the good episodes. Because the rest are mediocre to bad. And yet... I'm still watching it!

But even Queen's Blade Rebellion has better characterization and more to say than the new Lupin.
This is comedy gold.

I just watched a sub of the new Lupin episode—and I think this script's rather difficult to translate, judging from its complexity. It's very well-scripted, in fact, and the main faults of the episode lie in two unnecessary, annoying flashback transitions that just make the passage of time in the episode needlessly-convoluted. But the plot surprised me, and the dialogue managed to capture Lupin's bewilderment and confusion perfectly. For an episode that's just there to illustrate the difficulty and complexity of the L.Y.A. case, it was a lot of fun, though I liked the last two episodes better.

duckroll

Kids on the Slope - Episode 9

After a disastrous episode last week, it is no surprise that a lot of the baggage carried over to this week's episode. It reminds me a lot of what happens when a favorite fantasy author writes himself into a corner and needs two books to write himself out of the corner.

I really disliked the entire story arc involving
Yurika and Jun
, but I'm also really glad that it's out of the way now. The episode actually wrote itself back on track in a rather elegant way, despite the set back in the first place. There was also a pretty solid performance this week, which makes it much better.

Tsuritama - Episode 9

How good? Soooo good. Tsuritama is definitely one of the few (only?) shows this season which has consistently built itself up one episode after another. It started off rather slow and the direction wasn't immediately obvious, but once things got going it has been going up steadily. Solid characters, good pacing, smart scripting, and really interesting events that develop in unexpected ways. The mood, the music, the art, and the story all seem to fit just right to deliver the intended experience. Thumbs up!

Jex

[Kids on the Slope] - 8

All the negativity surrounding this episode led me to believe that it was going to be awful. In actuality, while it was hardly one the shows strongest points I didn't really have many problems with it, it's just unfortunate that it becomes off the back of the best episode in the show so far.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, the episode suffers from some rather dull and emotionless direction coupled with an extremely low budget flashback sequence. Perhaps this could be excused if the episode didn't devote so much time to Yurika, a show that the audience probably didn't care about before and certainly wont like now. Her entire 'arc' feels off and the amount of time that's been spent on it is annoying to those who understand that there's not too much time left in the show.

Besides that, I enjoyed all the interactions between the main trio.

Tsuritama - Episode 9

How good? Soooo good. Tsuritama is definitely one of the few (only?) shows this season which has consistently built itself up one episode after another. It started off rather slow and the direction wasn't immediately obvious, but once things got going it has been going up steadily. Solid characters, good pacing, smart scripting, and really interesting events that develop in unexpected ways. The mood, the music, the art, and the story all seem to fit just right to deliver the intended experience. Thumbs up!

It's that Kenji Nakamura touch. He's really back!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
As someone who hyped the series like crazy prior to the release. Fujikolupin is a huge dissapointment, it's only claim to fame is that the first 2 episodes and the 6th episode were genuinely good!

I do find the series more watchable on a daily basis than most people though. And don't see myself dropping it at this point, despite the bad things I'm hearing about the latest episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom