• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
So I've been wondering how does one tell of the story boarding in a show is good or not? I feel like I'm missing out sometimes when I read the story boarding talk as I neither have the eye for such nor any idea how to develop such.

I think the best thing to really do is look up some storyboards yourself, and study them!

Ultimadrago

They're attractive, distinctive, and work really well for animation with all their sleek curves. I really like Atsuya Uki's style.

It definitely has its pluses with being distinctive and the line art with curves fits animation like a glove. While both applicable to character design, it is the general styling and faces that bear the most deprecation from me.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I felt they missed a trick with Yurika when they
brought on the whole arranged marriage thing in the last seconds before I was willing her to jump infront of the train, if they played that aspect of her tangent storyline, as she called it "her world" (again, mentioned in the last minutes), rather than just being there for the sake of it, then maybe that train scene would have had more impact at the end, rather than me thinking "thank fuck she's out of the show now".

I never thought that Yurika was a character who deserved any tragedy to befall her; she was just annoying as a plot device.

The sudden mention of an arranged marriage in the train scene didn't particularly impact the believability of the scene for me because, given what we've been shown of her parents' strictness, invasiveness, and preoccupation with social class, an arranged marriage is the logical solution for exerting control over Yurika's life as punishment for her relationship with Jun. At least it was less awkward than if her mother had been shouting in the train station that it was time for her gynecological exam.

trejo

It definitely has its pluses with being distinctive and the line art with curves fits animation like a glove. While both applicable to character design, it is the general styling and faces that bear the most deprecation from me.

Is it bad that I initially read that as defecation?

So I've been wondering how does one tell of the story boarding in a show is good or not? I feel like I'm missing out sometimes when I read the story boarding talk as I neither have the eye for such nor any idea how to develop such.
Usually when people talk about the storyboarding, I assume they are talking about the composition of the shots. However, given the nature of storyboards, I would think it would have to do with the way that the shots connect.

cajunator

Banned
Been playing one of them there RPG things. addictive it is.
anyway, here's my choices again.
sCWfV.png

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sengoku Collection 10:

Hf6p3l.jpg

It's exactly what it looks like.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz General Underboob
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz terrible fights
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz everything about this episode, let's get to the weekly comparison:

The historical Fuuma Koutarou was a ninja that once fooled the Takeda army into slaughtering itself.

Sengoku Collection Fuuma Kotarou has a puppy tail and a compulsive need to ask opponents to ask her for personal information about herself.

The historical Sessai Choro was a monk, the uncle of Imagawa Yoshimoto, and the commander of Imagawa's army after his nephew's defeat by the Oda.

Sengoku Collection Sessai Choro is a meganekko with a magical floating sash.

The historical Imagawa Yoshimoto was one of the most powerful daimyo of the Sengoku era until his army of 25000 was defeated by an Oda force of 3000 in a sneak attack and Imagawa himself was slain.

Sengoku Collection Imagawa Yoshimoto can control a giant doppelganger made of water and has a cutout in her uniform specifically for exposing underboob.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
What the hell is going on here?

I leave you guys for a week and a half and when I come back cajun's playing Xenoblade?

The historical Imagawa Yoshimoto was one of the most powerful daimyo of the Sengoku era until his army of 25000 was defeated by an Oda force of 3000 in a sneak attack and Imagawa himself was slain.

Sengoku Collection Imagawa Yoshimoto can control a giant doppelganger made of water and has a cutout in her uniform specifically for exposing underboob.

You gotta admit though, this is one of the more positive versions of Yoshimoto in a Sengoku related work. Beats someone wielding oversized fans and a kemari lover. Though I am growing fond of kemari now.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You gotta admit though, this is one of the more positive versions of Yoshimoto in a Sengoku related work. Beats someone wielding oversized fans and a kemari lover. Though I am growing fond of kemari now.

Of course. Even as bizarre as Underboob Imagawa is, I'll still take it a million times over when faced with, for instance, Sengoku Musou's alternative:

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon R 65
KmIu3.jpg

Tsun~

A single episode for both Mako and Minako
to get their power ups?

It actually was pretty fun, Mako and Minako had great chemistry
especially with their differing views on love.

TKpGn.jpg

NsNlZ.jpg

This episode was filled with lovingly drawn armpits.

Sadly, even though the character interaction was good, we still haven't really learned anything about Minako yet, apart from the brief flashbacks in the first season.

sPwRw.jpg

Requisite Chibiusa screenshot

To start off the episode, all the Sailors have agreed to meet up and go hand out somewhere. However, Rei is off tending the shrine, Ami is taking summer school, and Usagi is Usagi, so only Mako and Minako meet up.

Minako is getting bothered by all the couples in the park, and gets into an argument with Mako about it.

tuhyk.jpg

Finally someone calls her out on it!

Of course, Usagi has to arrive at the most inopportune moment.

CyggU.jpg

For some reason she has a cute lil' fang here

Meanwhile the badguys are squabbling as usual, with some parallels to what the Sailors are doing.

And so of course, completely by coincidence, Usagi & Co. just happen to wonder into the store that the villains have decided to take down this episode.

ZiE9u.jpg

Those waist-high walls would make Nathan Drake blush

Mamoru shows up,
Usagi gets sad
, deposits Chibiusa, Mamoru exits.

xIAl9.jpg

There's absolutely nothing suggestive about the placement of those buttons.

The fight was pretty fun, some nice animation,
a rare pantyshot for Mako (even though it technically isn't an actual pantyshot)
, and poor Sailor Moon was unable to give her introduction. :(

Vh58Y.jpg

Regurgitation? I never asked for this.

Well, now everyone has their new power ups, so the bigger fights can begin!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Tsuritama 09:

The show is on track to arrive at a really satisfying conclusion in the next two episodes. A lot happened this week, but it was still mostly buildup to the actual narrative and emotional resolutions. I'm excited.
All of the scenes involving Duck are great. Their suits, vehicles, and base are more in line with what I expect from Nakamura visually, and they exemplify the concept of "punch-clock villains" really well. I suppose that this was as much as they could be incorporated into the show without taking necessary time away from the main characters.

survivor

Banned
Sengoku Collection 10

I liked it, satisfying conclusion to the arc.
Didn't expect Hojo to ally herself with the Imagawa clan. Now that I watched the ED, I guess it was expected since she was chilling with that other general but maybe they added this now?
Also god damn at the preview, good design for a general

BTW when did this character appear? Or hell, even this

Solune

Why is it that the people with the worst taste are always the ones who buy the most stuff?
Well it's probably related to the ratio of how much "good" stuff there is versus how much "bad" stuff is being released. That and alot of people are waiting on releases of "good" stuff anyways. Like Cowboy Bebop Blurays.
Watching the second episode of the new Saki made me curious. Are there any more examples of sesnsitive to cold moe characters like Yuu? I can't seem to recall anyone but then again I'm not an expert on that matter.
You could try Acchi Kocchi, more scarves are always a good thing!
Sailor Moon R 65
KmIu3.jpg

Tsun~

This is the perfect image when GAF has a disagreement.

survivor

Banned
I hate myself for even knowing these, but...

Masamune's flashback in Episode 4:

Bokuden asked Yagyuu for advice on what to do about Morse in episode 5:
I love you for knowing this

I fucking hate how the top tier character designs are relegated to extremely minor characters. Such a travesty.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Composition, continuity, effectiveness of shots, good editing flow, what happens in them, etc. Essentially everything.

When talking about storyboarding in anime, you have to realize it's not a typical storyboard like the ones in [everything else] -- it's basically the skeleton of the episode/movie. The term used for storyboard in Japanese actually translates to "picture continuity" -- I assume that it's a loose translation adapted for whatever reason because they resemble what we know as storyboards. On storyboard books and such you'll see the phrase "continuity script." An anime storyboard contains the cuts and instructions for each cut. Dialogue, shot length, camera instructions, instructions for the animator, sound effects, etc. Storyboards in [everything else] are like, scene concepts and shit. For anime it's probably the most important thing of all, as everything that will be made is going to be birthed from what's penned on the storyboard.

Personally I use the term storyboarding as a catch-all (and I shouldn't really because it's technically wrong but I'm lazy) to include layout work as well, which is also super important.

Articalys

Apollon 9

Somehow I didn't make the connection with the blue yarn in the ending sequence until this week.

Tsuritama 9

Shaping up to be an exciting final two episodes.
There is one thing I still don't like about the show though.

Also, potentially excited about the possible Medaka Box news.

Also also, I see there was some discussion earlier about how eyecatches/ending themes can be immersion breakers if they don't match the current mood of the show. I agree strongly on this point.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon R 66
nIeZ2.jpg

No caption is needed for this one

Some more development for Chibiusa!

Chibiusa needs a parent to go with her to a curryfest at her school, Usagi's parents can't make it so Usagi and Mamaru go instead.

Cardian shows up, wrecks store.

wRU7w.jpg

It was a pretty hot monster this time

It's up to Rei and Usagi to hold off the Cardian, but they have trouble until Tuxedo mask appears.

g3KSV.jpg

Rei shows just how badass she is

Tuxedo Mask weakens the Cardian, while the rest of the Sailors show up and prevent Petz from doing anything. Usagi, of course, deals the fatality to the cardian.

VZVOy.jpg

Moe Minako~

As an aside, sometimes it seems like the animators forgot how to draw a cat, so they just slap Luna's head onto a humanoid body. It's kind of creepy.

WdRoX.jpg

Cats don't have collarbones like that

Defuser

Articalys said:
Tsuritama 9

Shaping up to be an exciting final two episodes.
There is one thing I still don't like about the show though.
Yeah,not enough Erika. What's the point of putting her in the OP if she gonna make less than 1 min appearance in the whole show run?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Yep, that is the impression it gives me, and sometimes I wonder if that is one of the reasons why even today Lupin the Third is regarded as such a popular and iconic character in Italy.

Even if I prefer Mr. Ōsumi's episodes (as I said at other times, like here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33672787&postcount=3255 or here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36575428&postcount=5308), I respect the task that Mr. Miyazaki & Mr. Takahata made possible taking over the reigns of the production after all. I've thought that the difficult position in which they affronted such a work didn't leave them time to develop their ideas further and adapt them into each episode's time, and I always excused them because of that even if I think it was a very good work all things considered.

I think that the episode you mention would have benefited of a longer running time proper of a film like Lupin the Third: Castle of Cagliostro to expand on what it tried to achieve, because it is true certain episodes they made lacked the kind of refinement that afterwards Farewell, Beloved Lupin (for example) had, taking into account the little constraints Mr. Miyazaki suffered to work on making this self-homage from his position at Telecom Animation Film Co.,Ltd., as this studio collaborated with the occasional but finest contributions to the 2nd series.
Yeah, Miyazaki/Takahata's work on the series is certainly admirable but it does lack that edge that sort of makes Lupin, well, Lupin. I give Cagliostro a pass because of how wondrously crafted a film it is -- it's not that it excuses the flaws, but rather these flaws don't exist anymore in Cagliostro because everything works!

I really want to dig into the second series. I'm curious to see how Seijun Suzuki affected the production when he became assistant director or whatever like 50ish episodes in. I wonder if he had to turn to animation after being blacklisted from like everywhere in the Japanese film industry after his Nikkatsu debacle. I still need to check out Babylon as well. The second series sounds a bit formulaic and safe, but in a good way I suppose. I think I'm going to end up being one of those people who prefers red jacket Lupin (Cagliostro aside.)

Although, I thought Secret of Mamo was a really awful movie. It severely lacked energy, and the tone was... I don't know. I don't know what the tone was because it was changing every few minutes. It's been months since I've seen the movie and I still don't know what it is. It also lacks a proper editing beat, imo. Super clunky.

Tsuritama 9
tumblr_m59m6leYYk1qb5ws7o1_500.jpg

For an anime with silly moments like that and tons of friendship stuff, episode 9 left my eyes wet and hands shaking. What even?

I wasn't prepared. Sure there were silly moments but Haru failing and being all depressed, Kaito being on the ground hurting, Yuki and Natsuki being separated, and even Akira Akargar being unable to convince Yuki and Haru, everything that could go wrong did. Why couldn't everyone stay together and go back to the old days. Stupid Bermuda Syndrome alien. I hope they reunite and no one meets a sad fate :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom