• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

/XX/

Seeing your posts about first experiences with Japanese animation I remembered the boom that made diverse audiences (not only younger ones) united on the appreciation of that 'japanimation' on this country. Well, I saw things like Heidi, Girl of the Alps on TVE around 1987 (not their first emission of it in 1975 that made the series famous here), but that was completely different to the awakening of the conscious fandom provoked by the TV emission of AKIRA in 1991.

Keep in mind that this aired on a encrypted and pay television channel called Canal+ España (that shared at the time most of its schedule with Canal+ France, although adapted), and even then this kind of revelation spawned for the first time well established communities, willing to search for similar works while sharing video recordings of this and other movies on VHS or Betamax trying to incite new fans towards the cause. Fun and exciting times ahead after discovering something new for us.

I really want to dig into the second series. I'm curious to see how Seijun Suzuki affected the production when he became assistant director or whatever like 50ish episodes in. I wonder if he had to turn to animation after being blacklisted from like everywhere in the Japanese film industry after his Nikkatsu debacle. I still need to check out Babylon as well. The second series sounds a bit formulaic and safe, but in a good way I suppose. I think I'm going to end up being one of those people who prefers red jacket Lupin (Cagliostro aside.)
Hey! What if you end up liking more the pink jacket? Poor thing wants you to consider it...

Kazzy

K-ON 6!

It's taken me this long to realise that they attend an all-girl’s school, yep. And here we are at the zenith, the big live performance and it's pretty much over before it really begins, one song? ONE SONG! Sawako is beginning to creep me out now, what with the nurse and maid costumes amongst the outfits she had prepared for the gang, she has questionable motives.

QqCik.jpg

It was a nice stylistic touch to portray the actual song via a music video, but it felt like they stole the moment away from the viewer somewhat. I mean, we’ve seen them practising and gradually improving, and you don’t even get to see them play! I was surprised their performance went off without a hitch though; I was fully expecting something to go horribly wrong to keep that whole thing going a little longer. But in fairness, I guess there was this:

Silly Mio. I'd wager that set sail on a thousand pieces of fan-art. I will be sad when Yui’s broken voice returns to normal in the next episode.

K-ON 7!

Well this all seems like a perfectly nice christmas par...oh my god! Sawako is a crazy-person! What a difference a couple of episodes make, she has suddenly transformed from a slightly offbeat adult influence to being a full on spinster. And on the subject of adults, I'm starting to find the lack of Yui's parents a little bit disconcerting; they don't really exist, do they? Who abandons their children on Christmas? A screenshot does not do justice as to just how sinister this scene feels without the offbeat singing that accompanies it.

This episode was so full of sentiment; I thought I'd have to use a spoon to get through it all. Maybe it was guilty of being saccharine with the Yui and Ui scenes, but it was still a nice couple of moments regardless. The compilation of Yui was funny mainly because that’s the same trap I often fall into; I hate the wasteland of boredom that exists between Christmas and New Years.

K-ON 8!

Worst.Recruitment.Drive.Ever.

Events are hurtling forward with this series, it’s when you realize that months have passed since the beginning of the series that it becomes apparent just how lazy/bad the light-music club is. It’s a little odd that they can’t at least inflate their club numbers at least a little bit by now, and judging by the other clubs that were being promoted, like tea-drinking (which they do anyway), the light music club sounds damn amazing in comparison. But they do manage at least to drum up a little interest, and then swiftly destroy that by appearing like this:

Maybe Mio should have fallen over again...

Well my complaint about their last concert seems to have been heeded here because we got a proper performance at last.

Best.Song.Titles.Ever.

I've read so many divisive things about the inclusion of Azusa that I'm not quite sure what to expect from her introduction. She seems okay so far, not that there is much to go off, basically a Mio-lite then, sans the ridiculous shyness.

What the hell, did Ui not join? Way to letdown the family...

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
K-ON 6!

It's taken me this long to realise that they attend an all-girl’s school, yep. And here we are at the zenith, the big live performance and it's pretty much over before it really begins, one song? ONE SONG! Sawako is beginning to creep me out now, what with the nurse and maid costumes amongst the outfits she had prepared for the gang, she has questionable motives.

It was a nice stylistic touch to portray the actual song via a music video, but it felt like they stole the moment away from the viewer somewhat. I mean, we’ve seen them practising and gradually improving, and you don’t even get to see them play! I was surprised their performance went off without a hitch though; I was fully expecting something to go horribly wrong to keep that whole thing going a little longer. But in fairness, I guess there was this:

Silly Mio. I'd wager that set sail on a thousand pieces of fan-art. I will be sad when Yui’s broken voice returns to normal in the next episode.

K-ON 7!

Well this all seems like a perfectly nice christmas par...oh my god! Sawako is a crazy-person! What a difference a couple of episodes make, she has suddenly transformed from a slightly offbeat adult influence to being a full on spinster. And on the subject of adults, I'm starting to find the lack of Yui's parents a little bit disconcerting; they don't really exist, do they? Who abandons their children on Christmas? A screenshot does not do justice as to just how sinister this scene feels without the offbeat singing that accompanies it.

This episode was so full of sentiment; I thought I'd have to use a spoon to get through it all. Maybe it was guilty of being saccharine with the Yui and Ui scenes, but it was still a nice couple of moments regardless. The compilation of Yui was funny mainly because that’s the same trap I often fall into; I hate the wasteland of boredom that exists between Christmas and New Years.

K-ON 8!

Worst.Recruitment.Drive.Ever.

Events are hurtling forward with this series, it’s when you realize that months have passed since the beginning of the series that it becomes apparent just how lazy/bad the light-music club is. It’s a little odd that they can’t at least inflate their club numbers at least a little bit by now, and judging by the other clubs that were being promoted, like tea-drinking (which they do anyway), the light music club sounds damn amazing in comparison. But they do manage at least to drum up a little interest, and then swiftly destroy that by appearing like this:

Maybe Mio should have fallen over again...

Well my complaint about their last concert seems to have been heeded here because we got a proper performance at last.

Best.Song.Titles.Ever.

I've read so many divisive things about the inclusion of Azusa that I'm not quite sure what to expect from her introduction. She seems okay so far, not that there is much to go off, basically a Mio-lite then, sans the ridiculous shyness.

What the hell, did Ui not join? Way to letdown the family...

I'm really glad to see you enjoying this!

The story I've heard for why they didn't animate the first concert seen, was that Kyoani was sick and tired of animating people playing musical instruments after doing the concert in Haruhi. (just another reason why Haruhi sucks.)

You think there was only a 1000 pieces of fanart from that scene? Muahahahaha...

The reason why Azunyan garners some dislike is that she really is just Mio MK. II, just with cat ears. She does get better in the second season, though.

As for the song titles, "My love is a stapler" apparently has a bit more meaning in Japanese, due to some naming conventions(?). Something like Hotchkiss being a big brand there, and so you can see the "kiss" part might mean more.

Anyway, at least someone here is watching good anime, keep up the good work. :)

Jintor

The story I've heard for why they didn't animate the first concert seen, was that Kyoani was sick and tired of animating people playing musical instruments after doing the concert in Haruhi. (just another reason why Haruhi sucks.)

You think there was only a 1000 pieces of fanart from that scene? Muahahahaha...

The reason why Azunyan garners some dislike is that she really is just Mio MK. II, just with cat ears. She does get better in the second season, though.

As for the song titles, "My love is a stapler" apparently has a bit more meaning in Japanese, due to some naming conventions(?). Something like Hotchkiss being a big brand there, and so you can see the "kiss" part might mean more.

Anyway, at least someone here is watching good anime, keep up the good work. :)

You... like K-On?

I don't know what to believe anymore

DTL is stronger than many of us.
Already did, lol.

Kingdom ep 1/2?
First the visuals. The visuals were interesting. Most of the time the anime looked like those typical in engine type cutscenes for most rpgs of JPN. Which for some scenes worked well for action and what not (when there were not twenty identical bland ugly looking character models in line).

1bcdb493.gif

The worst scenes are whenever they are trying to pan around the characters in a field like above. Similarly it also looks pretty bad when they try to focus on environmental features, like grass blades look like they are from last gen games. I liked the visuals for fighting, and for some flat discussion in 2D scenes.

Pretty powerful start storywise. Hyou > Shin club. Powerful main characters with impressive skills. Only thing I don't like is the
revenge
theme but Im guessing they are switching from that with the revelation there.

Will keep watching if it remains
emotionally intense, intellectually compelling with that political plot, and interesting visually

Kingdom 1

kingdom1a.gif

But now I've discovered something that has shaken me to the very core of my being. This is something that shouldn't exist and yet... why? What have we done to deserve this?

The only I thing I didnt like about the animation was just the panning shots with the akward grass, however for closeup fighting at least two on two or whatever its pretty cool, and the character look great in motion. And that 2D shot you had was awesome.

Kazzy

And there I was thinking that it was a K-ON! homage to begin with!

I can only imagine, but I appreciate how they subverted it.

Yeah, that seems pretty apparent. But in fairness, I seem to remember I was mocking Mugi for the first couple of episodes, and now she has grown on me, even with the little screen-time she gets.

cajunator

Banned
There is a seaprate thread for K-On silliness, but I'd like to think that its welcome in here also. Its a fun show (I havent seen season 2 or the movie yet)

/XX/

There is a seaprate thread for K-On silliness, but I'd like to think that its welcome in here also. Its a fun show (I havent seen season 2 or the movie yet)
I don't understand that segregation, it isn't like K-ON! fans were going to take over this thread or something... some concrete moments of conversation about it are always inevitable when that work is related to others we talk about in here.

Jintor

Well mostly what we do in K-OnGAF is post gifs so quite frankly it's better to have that quarantined out of more generalised discussion.

Theonik

K-On! GIF spam silliness and discussion of the show in the context of this thread and the anime industry at large are two different things!

cajunator

Banned
I don't understand that segregation, it isn't like K-ON! fans were going to take over this thread or something... some concrete moments of conversation about it are always inevitable when that work is related to others we talk about in here.

I know. I said I don't mind it.

Ultimadrago

Sengoku Collection 10

ioAN9.jpg

Triforce Maid Attack

Well, some fighting and underboob instantly made it not one of the more boring episodes. That's not to say it was worthwhile either.

Also,
lolfriendshipNTR.

Go_Ly_Dow

24 hours to go, my faithful friends, before we set sail for The Sea at the World's Edge!

Hi-res screens without watermark here: http://moca-news.net/article/20120608/201206082233a/01/

One of those screens is going to give Branduil a brain seizure. :(

loving the translated description once again

To signal the Signal Fire of those who have raised Rei Yuki, decided to gather prepared in succession.
Rushed to the battlefield in front of the rider along with the waiver, the Archer stand.
King and hero the Conqueror. Battle of the champions of open fire is turned off.
At the same time, it will also challenge the fateful showdown Saber.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chihayafuru has sold better than the first season of Emma: A Victorian Romance, and that got a second season two years later. There's no telling what will happen.
The other explanation is that this is a prestige project. Which makes me think that it'll be a 13 episode series, simply because they can't possibly lose money on another two-cour project that no one will buy because of three and four episode karuta playing arcs.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
The other explanation is that this is a prestige project. Which makes me think that it'll be a 13 episode series, simply because they can't possibly lose money on another two-cour project that no one will buy because of three and four episode karuta playing arcs.

Apparently the manga got a big boost from the anime, so it may be worth it to the publishers/sponsors to do another animated advertisement for it. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Apparently the manga got a big boost from the anime, so it may be worth it to the publishers/sponsors to do another animated advertisement for it. :p
I suppose we all knew that anime is glorified marketing for the real property anyway.

Which begs the question, is it really cheaper to make an anime as opposed to a 10 episode live action show with pretty idorus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom