• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Isn't that the case with olympic athletes? They live and breathe whatever sport is is they are good at and strive to become the very best in the world. This by no means makes a person boring. It means they have a dream that they are willing to give everything to achieve.
Chihaya and co. (except perhaps Desk-kun) all seem like fairly well-adjusted people with normal human interests outside of karuta. Every show cuts down the lives of its characters to the moments that are most relevant to the subject matter--it's just more noticeable with karuta because of how unusual and specific it is compared to something common like, for instance, teenage romance or piloting a robot. It's a lot easier to implicitly accept that characters lead relatively normal lives outside of their hobbies unless indicated otherwise than it is to do the opposite, I think!

In reality, Chihaya's obsession with karuta is an extension of her childhood love for Arata that spiraled out of control until it became a form of mental illness, so maybe she isn't a character outside of karuta!

Look, Tsuritama is about fishing and they go into fishing almost every episode. But it's not all about fishing, is it?

There are no character arcs with the characters in Chihayafuru outside of Arata dealing with his own personal tragedy. It's almost ironic that the fact that the anime doesn't focus on him too much is the reason why he's not boring like everyone else.

Phew, it's a good thing I care about anime AND games!
Even the guys in Genshiken had lives outside of anime and games. :p

---

Ah, so Natsuiro Kiseki did a :firehawk
time travel paradox episode.
Spoilers, I guess?

I feel like I'm supposed to like this episode, since it hits two of my interests and the
time travel stuff was actually well done
, but then again, it's Natsuiro Kiseki.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Greetings AnimeGaf, long time no see. With E3 basically over it was time to catch up on a good deal of anime. So lets run through the list.

Hyouka 7
Silly kids are always getting in the way of my fan service.

Haiyore! Nyarlko-san 9
Nice deal of laughs this week.

AKB0048 6
But not as many as this. Oh Lord. Moral of the story is to hate as many things as possible because society will love you for it.

Polar Bear Cafe 10
KAWAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

Lupin the Third 10
My brain is full of fuck butterflies.

Sakamichi no Apollon 9
BAKAAAAA!

Mysterious Girlfriend X 9
In a show where everyone has the same face it is revealed Urabe looks like someone.

Yurumate3Dei 10
And you thought Lupin's multiple waking up sequences were confusing. It has nothing on this!

And to think the best new this week is Non Specific Action Figure is getting his own game Chihayafuru is getting a second series! YAY!

Makoto

A Certain Magical Index 22

I keep trying to give this the benefit of the doubt but goodness is the writing atrocious. Why is Touma is even the main character? Why does he even exist? None of the people behind his conception know what to do with his overpowered ability.
So many times he could just use his right hand to solve everything but the writers try ignore this at every turn in favor of a last minute reprieve. Confronted by a villain that could easily be defeated with his hand? We'll have Touma run away for about the first 3/4 of the episode and then at the last minute, he'll just use the ability. There's no realization of the ability, no words of encouragement to gather his strength, he just uses it... because his ability sucks and there would be no drama if he used it normally. The way this episode ended was exactly like the Misaka stalker arc where all Touma needed to do was grab the Venus light weapon and destroy it, but that would be too easy, so Touma has to run away so that he could finally use the ability... 5 minutes later.

jman2050

I keep trying to give this the benefit of the doubt but goodness is the writing atrocious. Why is Touma is even the main character? Why does he even exist? None of the people behind his conception know what to do with his overpowered ability.
So many times he could just use his right hand to solve everything but the writers try ignore this at every turn in favor of a last minute reprieve. Confronted by a villain that could easily be defeated with his hand? We'll have Touma run away for about the first 3/4 of the episode and then at the last minute, he'll just use the ability. There's no realization of the ability, no words of encouragement to gather his strength, he just uses it... because his ability sucks and there would be no drama if he used it normally. The way this episode ended was exactly like the Misaka stalker arc where all Touma needed to do was grab the Venus light weapon and destroy it, but that would be too easy, so Touma has to run away so that he could finally use the ability... 5 minutes later.

You got to episode 22? I only made it to 14.

This franchise is absolutely baffling to anyone who isn't just in it for the waifus and bothers to think about what's going on for longer than two seconds.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Just think, you still have the second season, complete with Kugiloli! And there's a movie on the way!

Also, you should watch Railgun, because it's a lot better than Index.

Makoto

This franchise is absolutely baffling to anyone who isn't just in it for the waifus and bothers to think about what's going on for longer than two seconds.
Yup, I've been sticking around for Mikoto but outside of her, I'm not sure how anyone could like Touma or Index as characters. Index has done a whole lot of nothing so far and Touma... *shivers* I'm of the opinion that the guy just sucks. Gah, it's a good thing you didn't go any further. The Accelerator arcs were just painful.

Just think, you still have the second season, complete with Kugiloli! And there's a movie on the way!

I've seen the first 4 episode of Railgun and genuinely enjoyed it but I want to finish Index S2 first before completing Railgun. If anything, just so I can get the bad out of the way and finish on a good note.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yup, I've been sticking around for Mikoto but outside of her, I'm not sure how anyone could like Touma or Index as characters. Index has done a whole lot of nothing so far and Touma... *shivers* I'm of the opinion that the guy just sucks. Gah, it's a good thing you didn't go any further. The Accelerator arcs were just painful.

I've seen the first 4 episode of Railgun and genuinely enjoyed but I want to finish Index S2 first before completing Railgun. If anything, just so I can get the bad out of the way and finish on a good note.

Yup, that's the right way to do it. It'll be your reward for persevering. :)

Theonik

Why on earth else would anyone watch anime?

Kingdom gets simulcast.

The North American anime distributor FUNimation Entertainment announced at its panel at AnimeNEXT on Friday that it has acquired the simulcast rights to the Kingdom television anime series. Funimation will begin streaming the series on its website on June 11, and new episodes will begin streaming on Mondays at 11:00 a.m. EDT.

Hopefully lots of people watch it so they can get home media rights, I wouldn't mind getting it.

cajunator

Banned
Ben-to 01

Holy shit. I missed out on a great show.
Cute characters, but right now Ice Witch >>> all
In any case, fuck half-priced ben-to, I'll just buy full price and avoid this mess.

Geneijin

I've seen the first 4 episode of Railgun and genuinely enjoyed it but I want to finish Index S2 first before completing Railgun. If anything, just so I can get the bad out of the way and finish on a good note.
Before the Index movie is out in 2013.

survivor

Banned
Hyouka 2

Whoa, dat ED

Eru got some killer eyes everytime she is curious. I hope they keep making her do that cause I find it quite funny.

The mystery of this episode confused me, why couldn't they just ask the students taking out the book what they do with it? Was there something preventing them from doing it?

Ben-to 01

In any case, fuck half-priced ben-to, I'll just buy full price and avoid this mess.

I still listen to the main theme so many months out. Pretty fun anime. Still surprised its still not been picked up in the western world.

Just completed the first episode of Magi Madoka Magica.

The art style, the OST, and Gaf giving it the best anime of the year, I am excited to watch the entirety of this anime.

Plus, when I do, I can force a friend to watch Fate/Zero.

cajunator

Banned

The art style, the OST, and Gaf giving it the best anime of the year, I am excited to watch the entirety of this anime.

No one should have to be forced to watch Fate Zero. Its pretty amazing.

ALso, you will like Madoka Magica probably. Its pretty awesome. I just talked to rightstuf and they will ship the last volume out on Monday :D

Shining Hearts 09
j9TY2.jpg

This is such a silly episode.
We get cool break into the castle to steal stuff, which was cool, had more knives throwing maids and out of control golem.
And then, a beach river episode of the girls playing in the water and having a picnic. And then, more searching for one's true self or whatever til finally something of a plot kicks in.
There wasn't enough Rick's bread in this episode though.

No one should have to be forced to watch Fate Zero. Its pretty amazing.

ALso, you will like Madoka Magica probably. Its pretty awesome. I just talked to rightstuf and they will ship the last volume out on Monday :D

He's scared to watch it because it was based on an eroge. I tell him Fate/Zero is one of the best animes of this year, but he won't listen until I watch Madoka.

I really need to finish that and Usagi Drop. For the latter, has a second season been confirmed?

Chihayafuru, Btoom... Madhouse has a run!
I don't know how good Chihayafuru is, but Btoom! is going to have to be a really loose adaptation in order to even be decent.
He's scared to watch it because it was based on an eroge. I tell him Fate/Zero is one of the best animes of this year, but he won't listen until I watch Madoka.

I really need to finish that and Usagi Drop. For the latter, has a second season been confirmed?
Well, it's based on a light novel series based on an eroge.

jman2050

Can't go wrong with either of those.

Don't forget to post impressions!

Solune

Right because there's nothing worse than subpar sexual interactions. It can't be worse than the pain, suffering, anguish, agony, despair, rage, and death of the characters. Nope.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ben-to 01

Such a shame the show loses the plot the moment it introduces a plot.

Hyouka 2

Whoa, dat ED

Eru got some killer eyes everytime she is curious. I hope they keep making her do that cause I find it quite funny.

The mystery of this episode confused me, why couldn't they just ask the students taking out the book what they do with it? Was there something preventing them from doing it?
Saying she is curious and beaming her eyes if basically her catchphrase.

Not really their business to ask since it was just a fleeting bit of curiosity. Probably thought the other party would turn around and go "U wat m8? None of your beeswax why I'm borrowing this book. Piss off" as Japanese school children tend to do.

We don't want a second series of Usagi Drop. It ended at the right spot. Don't let the story continue please.

Theonik

He's scared to watch it because it was based on an eroge.
Well technically, it's only related to an eroge by proxy since it's based on a light novel based on FSN. But, at the same time, I wouldn't even call FSN a straight up eroge to begin with. Infact iirc the H stuff was added to the game at a later time during development.

Makoto

Shining Hearts 09
http://i.imgur.com/j9TY2.jpg[IMG]
This is such a silly episode.
We get cool break into the castle to steal stuff, which was cool, had more knives throwing maids and out of control golem.
And then, a [s]beach[/s] river episode of the girls playing in the water and having a picnic. And then, [B]more searching for one's true self or whatever[/B] til finally something of a plot kicks in.
There wasn't enough Rick's bread in this episode though.[/QUOTE]
Show's turning into [B]Rick's Dread[/B]. Soon he'll be waxing poetically about the meaning of life.

The Tower of Druaga ~The Sword of Uruk~ 09
Red Knight, Blue Knight, Mirror Knight? Uh, Hyper Knight...
More plot explanations, more things happening, all that stuff. I do like Kaaya having a breakdown over realizing that she likes Jil and pretty nice for the show to tell what's going on in the non tower as well as in the tower world.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Look, Tsuritama is about fishing and they go into fishing almost every episode. But it's not all about fishing, is it?

There are no character arcs with the characters in Chihayafuru outside of Arata dealing with his own personal tragedy. It's almost ironic that the fact that the anime doesn't focus on him too much is the reason why he's not boring like everyone else.

Even the guys in Genshiken had lives outside of anime and games. :p

Chihayafuru's type of drama is consistent with the very specific focus of the show itself. It successfully invested me in its characters, successfully invested me in the game itself, and so I don't have a problem with being invested in drama that immediately revolves around the subject matter because this is what the characters themselves care about in-show.

Chihayafuru and Tsuritama aren't all that different in the sense that the activity that brings the characters together is a vehicle for the evolution of character relationships, and the fact that karuta stopped being a vehicle and started to overshadow the characters themselves was what hurt Chihayafuru's later episodes. Tsuritama isn't about anyone wanting to become King of Fishermen and the drama and characterization exist externally to the act of fishing itself, which is fine and works excellently for the show, but it's not something that's necessary for every show that revolves around a single activity. I disagree with your premise that there's no significant non-karuta development or drama in Chihayafuru anyway, but even if that were the case, it would be mostly fine for what it is.

Can't go wrong with either of those.

Don't forget to post impressions!

I certainly will post my impressions. I have never paid much attention of the magical girl genre, but I certainly know enough to recognize the tropes.

Right because there's nothing worse than subpar sexual interactions. It can't be worse than the pain, suffering, anguish, agony, despair, rage, and death of the characters. Nope.

I tell him there is no sexual interactions in the show, but he is still stubborn about it.

I don't know how good Chihayafuru is, but Btoom! is going to have to be a really loose adaptation in order to even be decent.

Well, it's based on a light novel series based on an eroge.

I actually didn't know that myself. I have a bit more leverage to argue with now than before. He'll see the light.

Steroyd

Whoa whoa whoa, season 2 had a kugiloli?

I think my mind was too full of fuck to realise anyway, might as well give the show a bone, and say that I enjoyed the science part of the show, the part that gave us Accelerator, Misaka/Last Order etc... basically everything not relating to the church holy shit did that drag down what would have been a watchable show immensely.

A shame that 50/50 science/Religion ratio from season 1 went to shit in season 2 which was 30/70 in religion's favour. *vommit*

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chihayafuru's type of drama is consistent with the very specific focus of the show itself. It successfully invested me in its characters, successfully invested me in the game itself, and so I don't have a problem with being invested in drama that immediately revolves around the subject matter because this is what the characters themselves care about in-show.

Chihayafuru and Tsuritama aren't all that different in the sense that the activity that brings the characters together is a vehicle for the evolution of character relationships, and the fact that karuta stopped being a vehicle and started to overshadow the characters themselves was what hurt Chihayafuru's later episodes. Tsuritama isn't about anyone wanting to become King of Fishermen and the drama and characterization exist externally to the act of fishing itself, which is fine and works excellently for the show, but it's not something that's necessary for every show that revolves around a single activity. I disagree with your premise that there's no significant non-karuta interaction or drama in Chihayafuru anyway, but even if that were the case, it would be mostly fine for what it is.

Chihayafuru stopped being about the characters the moment that Taichi dumped his girlfriend over the phone in order to eliminate that plot entirely. Not that it did anything with that in the first place, beyond having Chihaya go derp in the opening episodes.

I just find it funny that at first I was pleasantly surprised by art's post announcing S2, and now I'm reminded of my crushing and bitter disappointment with the show by the time it ended.

The only show of this nature that I could stand was the first season of Big Windup, which took 26 episodes to play a total of two baseball games and even then, part of it is the winkwinknudgenudge author-insert stuff/pseudo-BL that makes it both charming and hilarious.
(Saki notwithstanding, but that's because it almost has nothing to do with MJ at all, really).

Let's just break down the characters in S1 and the plots that basically went nowhere.

Taichi: filial piety angst.
Chihaya: older sister angst.
Desk: school angst.
Kana: her shop not doing well.
Pork: umm... I can't even remember. He hated karuta and then started to like it again.

And, given that I've basically read and caught up to the manga as of two months ago, all I can say is that all this talk about the show has reminded me of how much I wanted Arata to come back to bring something different to the text's character dynamics.

Of course, I suppose it's my fault for being hoodwinked by a sports show that started off as a character drama. I should have known that the first four episodes had nothing to do with the rest of the show.

Grzi

Ben-to 01

I'll never get the hype. An average show with horrendous visuals and an interesting premise used in a mostly boring manner.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'll never get the hype. An average show with horrendous visuals and an interesting premise used in a mostly boring manner.
The first three episodes were awesome. For me specifically, because they rode the line between self-seriousness and self-parody.

After that, it goes dramatically downhill.

Dresden

Ben-to was awesome all throughout and I didn't watch the lesbo episodes so win-win. Sucks you losers had to slog through the Ume stuff. That's what you get for watching episodes on a weekly basis!

apollon - 09

Pretty good; highlight: DUEL DE ROCK

Remains enjoyable due to the two leads and jazz. JunBro is out of the way; Yurika is gone; Ritsuko stops being such a dude. All is well with the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom