• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

The drug is like an amnesia-inducing version of LSD, except that the initial euphoria leads into channeled aggression, then into a semi-comatose state wherein the victim is constantly thinking about "Fraulein Eule", and then finally into a "blank slate" state upon which both a whole new personality, and new memories, can be crafted and stored. I wonder if Fujiko remembers any past details about her life before she was in the process of being an experimental subject. If so, that would explain Fritz' cryptic comment about how Fujiko was never "born", because her own birth and mind formation was manipulated by Glaucus Pharmaceuticals.

This whole plot reeks of Kenji Eno and Osamu Tezuka having a film-noir bastard child, and yet I love it so much.

Interesting. It does indeed put that comment in a whole new light. Flashbacks of Fujiko's childhood make much more sense now as well. Not that I disliked them, I should say, but the fantastical elements to it finally have some grounding in reality.

Midroi Days 01
Woo, new anime start! I'm fairly acquainted with this series having read the manga, so it would be cool to see how the anime adapts this and I gotta say they have done a pretty good job. There's a lot of fun sequences of Seiji's reactions that were fun to watch. I am impressed by the scenery as well.
dAx60.jpg
The trains themselves had me confused for a bit.
Midori is pretty sweet and doesn't seem to mind being attached to the person she likes. I'm amused by how much strength she has as a hand both in force and directing Seiji's body.
The show's well active and the characters are fun, so I'm hoping this is a good adaptation of a silly yet pretty sweet series. If I remember the manga correctly anyway.
I do feel sorry for the fat cat here, who gets abused more and more as the episode went along.

NeonZ

Gintama 001 - 003 - when does it pick up? not bad so far, but not great.

Really variable from person to person. Some people start really enjoying it by episode 7 others take up to 25-30 (when the character introductions are done and the series starts changing its humor style...)

Interesting. It does indeed put that comment in a whole new light. Flashbacks of Fujiko's childhood make much more sense now as well. Not that I disliked them, I should say, but the fantastical elements to it finally have some grounding in reality.
Yep. The whole Frankenfatale meta-text that's been talked up recently also makes sense now, since it's found a tangible element in the series' plot itself. I think this plot point's more clever than it looks, and Dai Sato made it come out very well. In addition to being a well-directed episode for the most part, it makes a lot more sense than previously-predicted.

cajunator

Banned
Midroi Days 01
Woo, new anime start! I'm fairly acquainted with this series having read the manga, so it would be cool to see how the anime adapts this and I gotta say they have done a pretty good job. There's a lot of fun sequences of Seiji's reactions that were fun to watch. I am impressed by the scenery as well.

The trains themselves had me confused for a bit.
Midori is pretty sweet and doesn't seem to mind being attached to the person she likes. I'm amused by how much strength she has as a hand both in force and directing Seiji's body.

The show's well active and the characters are fun, so I'm hoping this is a good adaptation of a silly yet pretty sweet series. If I remember the manga correctly anyway.
I do feel sorry for the fat cat here, who gets abused more and more as the episode went along.

Omg omg.

I looooooooooove this series!!
Its so fucking adorable.
The box came with a shirt that I still wear occasionally.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I actually started watching Midroi Days just before the start of this new season. Of course I ended up picking up a few shows so I've put it on the back burner for now. I have read the manga which I found very enjoyable.

Pink Jacket's supposedly got the worst writing with the best animation. I know that the sakuga appreciator's love Pink Jacket to death, but I'd rather have a more balance product.

Narag

Sailor Moon S 115

The reverence in which Chibiusa treats Pluto is so refreshing. The scene where Tomoe is consoling Hotaru was rather disturbing as well in how the quick cuts to his typical smile was a contrast to his kind words. It felt really manipulative and I suppose that's because it was.
Laughed far too hard at Chibiusa's self-congratulations at the end of nailing her intro speech.

She can't pull off the single fang look at all.

Hotaru had a great little moment at the end which surprised me. That's a mystery being slowly revealed yet the viewer is given just enough info to keep it interesting ep to ep.

Tales of the Abyss 19
33dJp.jpg

Never trust a loli.
Mohs is up to his usual tricks again. Trying to start a war and stuff, and using zombies replicas to do his bidding this time. Oh and Anise has been a spy for Mohs this whole time. Because her parents are apparently idiots and wound up deep in debt. So I guess that's why Anise tries to be a gold digger. So Mohs kidnaps Ion with the help of Anise and makes him read the Planets Score, which apparently will kill him. Not sure why they didn't mention that earlier at all... Arietta being madly in love with Ion comes and helps Luke and the others save Ion. In the end
Ion ends up reading the planet score and as a result dies.
Deus ex machina! Tear is no longer sick, praise be Ion! Afterwards, Anise regrets everything, but since she totally had no other choice, everyone forgives her. Well not Arietta, but that's what the next episode is for.
CAXs3.jpg

What is up with that guys chin?

Midori Days 02
Now everyone will know.
Another fun episode. I realize it's slowly turning into a semi-harem series where girls will slowly start liking Seiji but at the same time I do like that Seiji and Midori are growing closer together as well.
I would say it's quite surprising that Midori's mom is so supportive of Midori's crush on Seiji. Most rich mothers would all be against their daughters liking a delinquent though who knows about that now after this episode.

Mature

Ben-to 01

Holy shit. I missed out on a great show.
Cute characters, but right now Ice Witch >>> all
In any case, fuck half-priced ben-to, I'll just buy full price and avoid this mess.
The words of an obedient dog.

Ben-To is great though; a lot of mindless, fun entertainment with amusing fights.

cajunator

Banned
I never saw it just because the very concept creeps me the hell out

Honestly, don't be. The show is playful with the subject matter but it never "goes there" and thats why it ended up being a great little romantic comedy series.
Midori is a sweetheart.

Madoka Magica Episode 3.

Damn it Katawa Shoujo! First, I saw Homura as Hanako, now I am seeing Mami as Lilly.

mahoushoujo-3-0.jpg

This is what happens when a little girl plays with fire.

This episode was better than the prior one. Risk is an actual factor, unlike most magical girl animes that portrays being a magical girl as somethign fun and spectacular. The visuals were top-notch, the design of the Witch made me giggle.

This should reevaluate Madoka's desire to become a magical girl, hell Mami's death may scare Sayaka enough for her not to grant a wish. The life of a magical girl is truly a short one. I thought the show would kill Mami after Homura's warning to her was ignored. Plus, the girls were getting touchy feeling, had to die! Though, I have a strong suspicion that one of the ladies, probably Madoka, will wish her back to life.

Narag

Kanon (2002) 2

Cousins living together? Of course everyone would think they're in a relationship. I don't know what Yuichi was thinking. I think I'm actually enjoying this after that first ep although those chins and eyes are getting to me. This leads me to fear I might try 2006 if I dig this and then possibly other Key stuff. I had no idea Angel Beats! was a gateway drug.

Of course as I type that, another challenger appears. Too many girls already.

Instro

Eureka 7 AO 9

The political plot lines are still kind of whatever for me. It's not particularly offensive, but not overly interesting either. I did really enjoy the fight this week, the Secret had a pretty neat design I think.

Ultimadrago

Crystal Triangle: The Forbidden Revelation

Lesson 1: The KGB explodes ancient shrines with grenade launchers.

WW0KY.jpg
lD2UA.jpg

An adventure of butt-ugly proportions!

Lesson 2: The CIA communicate with heavy Engrish to help work undercover.

It took 30 minutes, but it got to the monster guts, prophecies, instant unexplained power levels, more explosions and
long falls down where you hit your head twice after death and demon fetuses

In conclusion, ...."Rainbows
EXPLOSION
?...What?"

HHHHHRRRRRRNNNNGGGGGGHHHHHH!

Madoka Magica Episode 4

That boy in the hospital....It's Hisao. If I didn't know this anime came out last year, I would have accused of Katawa Shoujo ripping character designs from this show.

The animation, particular when Madoka enters the other world, was spectacular. Yes, I will probably write this in EVERY impression. It's just that good...like the mystical OST.

It seems like my prediction involving Madoka might be wrong (
reviving Mami with a wish
), but I'm still going to gamble on it. I am enjoying to see that actions do have a true impact, and I am excited to see where the series will go from here, especially with the introduction to a possible new villain.

Also, puppy love leads you to awful choices. Silly girl.

I need to screen capture particular shots, so I can actually post them on Gaf rather than getting pictures from the interwebs.

Narag

Violinist of Hamelin 5

I know I heard this had a shoestring budget but yeah:

What's up with the cel there and was it really so tight they couldn't fix a single frame that's onscreen for several seconds? Otherwise I'm still aboard with how the show is made as I'm in love with the aesthetic. Frankly, there might be too much animation and not nearly enough postcards.

In all seriousness though, I'm surprised at how powerful this can be even with the limited budget.

Midori's Days 03
Love is cooking a hamburger shaped into a heart.
I liked this episode. We get introduced to Seiji's big sis and they go spend all his money at a hot springs. I did like learning more about Seiji's childhood and pretty much what he is today and it is adorable that Midori starts liking him even more after that. Such a sweet love.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Violinist of Hamelin 5

I know I heard this had a shoestring budget but yeah:

What's up with the cel there and was it really so tight they couldn't fix a single frame that's onscreen for several seconds? Otherwise I'm still aboard with how the show is made as I'm in love with the aesthetic. Frankly, there might be too much animation and not nearly enough postcards.

In all seriousness though, I'm surprised at how powerful this can be even with the limited budget.
Tape/glue mark on the film

cajunator

Banned
Midori's Days 03

Love is cooking a hamburger shaped into a heart.
I liked this episode. We get introduced to Seiji's big sis and they go spend all his money at a hot springs. I did like learning more about Seiji's childhood and pretty much what he is today and it is adorable that Midori starts liking him even more after that. Such a sweet love.

Midori is really cute and probably could rank highly in waifu contests if she was still relevant.

Madoka Magica Episode 5

5sayakyo2.jpg

The ways of Fire Emblem strikes again, via the weapon triangle!
If Sayaka knew the weapon triangle, she would have realized the disadvantage she had against that other magical girl.

The next episode should be an absolute treat!

Also, THE VISUALS!

Risette

A Good Citizen
Madoka Magica Episode 5

5sayakyo2.jpg

The ways of Fire Emblem strikes again, via the weapon triangle!
If Sayaka knew the weapon triangle, she would have realized the disadvantage she had against that other magical girl.

The next episode should be an absolute treat!

Also, THE VISUALS!
That last line is funny considering the... drawing quality of the screenshot you posted. :(

Midori's Days 04
Lolololololol.
Anyway, what I thought was a boring episode actually turned out to be very fun. I liked the whole old movie story of Seiji's imagination of what might happen to him. It was a good episode as Midori basically dressed up in a million different outfits just for the hell of it.
LAxv3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom