• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
iJwUx.gif

CCS - 06

*tears*

That's a crazy power.

CCS - 07

In the next Batman movie, they should replace Catwoman with Sakura.

CCS - 08

Some educational history on Clow Cards and the new guy is kinda a dick. Uh, is he
in love with Yukito too?

CCS - 09

Zettai
Unmei
Mokushiroku

CCS - 10

What you gonna do with all those pictures, Yukito?
Go away Li.
Oh shit that's Tomoyo's
mom and she was Sakura's mom's BFF and her cousin. Shit.
Like mother like daughter.
Sakura's dad is the ultimate pimp.

CCS - 11

Creepiness runs in the family.

CCS - 12
Dat kick, dat Sakura's dad being a pimp, dat recorder test.
I enjoyed the battle costume for this one. It was great. Also, interesting bit about the cards at the end.

CCS - 13

Who knew such strength could be so moe?

CCS - 14

I would eat in Yukito's cafe too.
Go away Li.
Yukito's has got game.
DAT PLAY. Onii-san is pretty popular with the girls.
Who does he like though? I hope The foreshadowing isn't true.

CCS - 15

That was depressing. That little girl man. Damn.

CCS - 16

These aren't m-my tears. I-It's just raining in here.

Dude.....Too much CCS at once. Danger level CRITICAL.

Brave 10 7

Isanami doing cute Isanami things. Did anything actually happen this episode? A kid joined their ninja club and um, political drama or something? Yeah sure.

Isanami doing Isanami things is apparently the high point of the show. the ONLY high point.

Makoto

Bodacious Space Pirates 21

irClADOUeLJJU.gif

That was... actually a bodacious space pirates episode of Bodacious Space Pirates. The first of its kind, whaddayknow. For once, I was kind of on the edge of my seat.

This episode mixed with the preview for the next tells me one thing: the original novels are awful and the anime should all be original content. Unless something super stupid happens in the last few episodes, the quality of this show has undeniably shot up relative to its namesake. There's a chance this show will end on a high note.

cajunator

Banned
Bodacious Space Pirates 21

irClADOUeLJJU.gif

That was... actually a bodacious space pirates episode of Bodacious Space Pirates. The first of its kind, whaddayknow. For once, I was kind of on the edge of my seat.

This episode mixed with the preview for the next tells me one thing: the original novels are awful and the anime should all be original content. Unless something super stupid happens in the last few episodes, the quality of this show has undeniably shot up relative to its namesake. There's a chance this show will end on a high note.

I don't want Space Pirates to end :(
Too much hnng. too much awesome. too much Chiaki.
Wait, you can't have too much Chiaki!

cajunator

Banned
I haven't gotten to the point E7AO is at now. How much Elena is in it?
I'll try and catch up today (fell asleep shortly after posting about my freedom)

survivor

Banned
Moyashimon 1

uCQDD.jpg

That was well done. The characters are fun, especially Hasegawa, the microbes are cute, and the comedy was good. I don't know where the story is going but if they can maintain a solid pacing and good comedy in each episode then this will be a great anime

They really screwed up the OP. Seriously, what were they thinking with that awful OP

jman2050

Fate/Zero 21

So much awesome.

Saber's CG motorcycle shenanigans, Rider and Waver being awesome, being Kariya is suffering, EKUSUKARIBA, Zouken being an asshole, Kirei being an even bigger asshole, being Kariya is suffering, Being Aoi is dead, and did I mention being Kariya is suffering?

duckroll

Fate/Zero 21

So much awesome.

Saber's CG motorcycle shenanigans, Rider and Waver being awesome, being Kariya is suffering, EKUSUKARIBA, Zouken being an asshole, Kirei being an even bigger asshole, being Kariya is suffering, Being Aoi is dead, and did I mention being Kariya is suffering?

These impressions are accurate.

trejo

You don't even need to watch Un-Go in order to appreciate its particular brand of bizarre.

I just kind of don't want it in my E7.

Seems like a realistic depiction of teenage girls to me.

Not to stereotype teenage girls or anything, but it seemed inherently plausible to me as well.

Well clearly you guys are more up to date on your knowledge about teenage girls than me.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Fate/Zero 20

Had to get caught up before I saw 21 today, but anyway:
I would've felt bad for Maiya if she wasn't a homewrecker. And what the hell Kiritsugu? You shed tears for her but not for Iri? So screwed up.

Fate/Zero 21:
Geez, that was just insane. This show is just...wow.

Kirei is definitely one of the most fascinating characters I can think of in any anime, and his journey just continues to get better. Like his newfound partner in crime, I just find his journey of discovering entertaining to watch.

We also finally get to see more of Kariya, and I think he comes across in a very interesting way here.
His breakdown in the church was just crazy, and him killing Aoi was...wow. Kirei is definitely a sadistic bastard arranging all of that. I couldn't help but feeling both shocked and sad watching Kariya strangle the life out of Aoi (although I kind of expected him to do something improper with her body after she died; what does that say about me?). And then we cut back to Kirei and Gilgamesh watching the whole thing while drinking wine. I love it. Their dialogue is always one of the real highlights of the show. In both what they say, and what they left unsaid. Kirei talking about how the taste is different than he remembers is one such great line, because it reveals information about how his outlook has changed, but it does so through the filter of Kirei's own way of speaking and thinking.

duckroll

[Eureka Seven AO] - 7

Funnily enough Aikawa Shou, the script writer for episodes 2-4 and 7 of AO worked on the screenplay for every episode of Un-Go. However, considering the way that the industry works that probably doesn't mean anything.

Well, I think it's more relevant that Aikawa handled the series composition for Un-Go, other than just writing all of it, and he is also the story editor for E7AO, other than writing those episodes you mentioned. The plot thickens! :D

Jex

Fate/Zero 21

So much awesome.

You failed to note that
being Aoi apparently involves being pretty stupid. Kariya couldn't successfully kill anyone, he's shit. Perhaps she isn't particularly aware of mage power-level stuff, but I can assume she'd know something.

The fact that she just walks in, witnesses nothing and then somehow arrives at the idea that Kariya killed him was dangerously close to forced bull-shit for the sake of extra drama. It was a contrivance so that certain other things could happen.

Apart from that, I thought it was a pretty great episode for everyone.

You failed to note that
being Aoi apparently involves being pretty stupid. Kariya couldn't successfully kill anyone, he's shit. The fact that she just walks in, witnesses nothing and then somehow arrives at the idea that Kariya killed him was dangerously close to forced bull-shit for the sake of extra drama.

Well, she arrives pretty much right as his body falls over, so it doesn't seem like a crazy conclusion to jump to. Kirei clearly set the whole thing up, and I don't think it's too far out of the realm of possibility that he told Aoi something that would set her up in that frame of mind when he told her to arrive at that time. It seems like he put a lot of effort into making sure that everything happened just right in that scenario.

Jex

Well, I think it's more relevant that Aikawa handled the series composition for Un-Go, other than just writing all of it, and he is also the story editor for E7AO, other than writing those episodes you mentioned. The plot thickens! :D

As opposed to a being a straight mecha show it's becoming increasingly clear that the work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called... Euereka Seven AO.

duckroll

You failed to note that
being Aoi apparently involves being pretty stupid. Kariya couldn't successfully kill anyone, he's shit. The fact that she just walks in, witnesses nothing and then somehow arrives at the idea that Kariya killed him was dangerously close to forced bull-shit for the sake of extra drama.

I don't think that was really particularly unbelievable though. I mean Kariya has been talking about killing him for the entire series. It should be noted that the show seems to take place over the span of like 2 weeks or so, and hence how much of a failure Kariya is would not be relevant to Aoi, only to the viewers.

She was clearly invited by Kirei to the church, possibly under the guise of Kariya or Tokiomi, so she expected to find at least one of them there. If she sees her dead husband with the guy who has been telling her for the past 2 weeks that he will kill him, why should she believe otherwise? It's not like Kariya tried denying it much anyway. He denied it a bit, and then he gave up. Much like everything else he does, he is a true failure.

Also, you're pretty much wrong that Kariya can't successfully kill anyone either! Aoi can testify to that! Looooooooooool. :(

What I REALLY want to know is...
why the FUCK did Saber just walk away and leave after her Anti-Fortress class SUPER ATTACK somehow got evaded by two guys who jumped onto a tree? They were talking pretty loudly too, and she seemed to just ignore it. Did she already figure out that she was after the wrong people and decided not to waste more mana and time? If so, maybe she should have just said something before using a super attack? Maybe? It was pretty lulz.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Well, she arrives pretty much right as his body falls over, so it doesn't seem like a crazy conclusion to jump to. Kirei clearly set the whole thing up, and I don't think it's too far out of the realm of possibility that he told Aoi something that would set her up in that frame of mind when he told her to arrive at that time. It seems like he put a lot of effort into making sure that everything happened just right in that scenario.

I can imagine Kirei doing someting like that too. Because Aoi just assuming Kariya being responsible for the sake of certain things to happen was a little silly.

jman2050

You failed to note that
being Aoi apparently involves being pretty stupid. Kariya couldn't successfully kill anyone, he's shit. Perhaps she isn't particularly aware of mage power-level stuff, but I can assume she'd know something.

The fact that she just walks in, witnesses nothing and then somehow arrives at the idea that Kariya killed him was dangerously close to forced bull-shit for the sake of extra drama. It was a contrivance so that certain other things could happen.

I don't like applying rational rules to situations where actors have every good reason to act irrationally.

She sees her husband stone cold dead, sees the person who hates him near him, and knows that Kariya hates his guts. Obviously the very first impulse is for Aoi to say "Oh, my husband is dead, but clearly Kariya couldn't have killed him even though I have every reason to believe he did, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and let him explain himself." Yeah, no.

Sorry dude, but you're totally off-base here.

Jex

I don't think that was really particularly unbelievable though. I mean Kariya has been talking about killing him for the entire series. It should be noted that the show seems to take place over the span of like 2 weeks or so, and hence how much of a failure Kariya is would not be relevant to Aoi, only to the viewers.

Of course you're right about Aoi not knowing what the audience knows about Kariya but...I assume she would actually know more. It's never really been established how much she knows about mage-shit, but after being married to Tokiomi Tōsaka I assume she'd know a little. I mean, at the start of the series in episode she's well aware that Kariya isn't a mage at all and I kind of assume that, as long time friends, she's knows how much of a failure Kariya's been throughout his whole life! It just didn't ring true to me.

why the FUCK did Saber just walk away and leave after her Anti-Fortress class SUPER ATTACK somehow got evaded by two guys who jumped onto a tree? They were talking pretty loudly too, and she seemed to just ignore it. Did she already figure out that she was after the wrong people and decided not to waste more mana and time? If so, maybe she should have just said something before using a super attack? Maybe? It was pretty lulz.
Because the writers want to keep Rider and Waver in the show some more. I guess.

It was dumb.

That did kind of bug me.
I assume she realized that they didn't have Irisviel, and knew that the clock would be ticking and she couldn't afford to spend any more time dicking around with Rider when Irisviel's life was in danger elsewhere. They should have probably either made that more clear, or just left that last scene with those characters until next week.

jman2050

This on the other hand is worth talking about.
The only thing I can think of is that she actually did think she had won. Which is a leap in logic cause we know Saber can sense other servants close to her and Rider was pretty much defenseless at that point.

Branduil

Fate/Zero 21:

I couldn't help but feeling both shocked and sad watching Kariya strangle the life out of Aoi (although I kind of expected him to do something improper with her body after she died; what does that say about me?).

There was a clear(and disturbing)
sexual element to the choking scene. It definitely wasn't an accident.

You failed to note that

It was contrived, but it was contrived in-universe by a character for his own entertainment, so it's not a problem.

She was clearly invited by Kirei to the church, possibly under the guise of Kariya or Tokiomi, so she expected to find at least one of them there. If she sees her dead husband with the guy who has been telling her for the past 2 weeks that he will kill him, why should she believe otherwise? It's not like Kariya tried denying it much anyway. He denied it a bit, and then he gave up. Much like everything else he does, he is a true failure.

Also, you're pretty much wrong that Kariya can't successfully kill anyone either! Aoi can testify to that! Looooooooooool. :(

Well I doubt him continuing to deny it would change anything. Aoi's not going to be thinking clearly with her husband dead, and his denials would be pretty weak in any case with Tokiomi's dead body in his arms.

I guess she was smart enough to figure out they didn't take Irisviel. Maybe she just wanted to get some revenge on Rider.

I think we're all ignoring the biggest mystery of the series,
what did Aoi ever see in Tokiomi in the first place? "Oh baby, talk to me more about the majesty of magic. You know how much I like it when you get pedantic about being a mage."

The Woman Named Fujiko Mine episode 8 (1st attempt)

That's the second time now I've dozed off while trying to watch this show.

Perhaps it has something to do with trying to watch this late at night when I'm already tired, but still.

I wouldn't do that either, but sometime one's schedule can just get in a rut.

The Woman Named Fujiko Mine episode 8 (2nd attempt)

This... was actually not that bad. It seems we've finally hit the meat of the overaching story, which is appreciated. And normally, the use of
heavily implied child molestation
would strike me as a cheap and slimy way to try to give character development and a tragic backstory to a character sorely in need of it but in this case I didn't mind too much because of the way the show has been slowly implementing the whole owl theme throughout its run alluding to it.

I'm not certain about it being a case of
child rape
at all. Those surreal scenes have a lot of figurative, expressionist imagery that may relate to events that actually happened, or perhaps not. What I find so shady is how similar the owl thing is to Oscar physically—if the owl head is just a mask, or a helmet for that matter, then it's plausible that Oscar might be playing with another faction, playing off Zenigata and the Lupin gang to get what and his associates want.

One question that remains to me though is, why is Zenigata even in this? So far his most worthwhile participation has been to smang Fujiko on most likely multiple occasions and just being an all around background character. Feels like a waste to me, much like with a number of other things about the show.
It's my biggest issue too. My main hope right now is that, along with developing Fujiko's backstory in the midst of crazier and crazier scenarios, Zenigata will start to take the Lupin problem into his own hands, after Oscar gets too preoccupied with Fujiko herself. That would make plenty of sense.

Also the shading in this series is absolutely fantastic. Lupin's unbelievably shitty smeared shading today looks even worse in comparison to a series from the 70s.
I don't know what to think about this. The shading in Fujikoike is quite variable and I don't always like how it's used, but I can make out character designs and locations quite easily even with the super-rough cross-hatching and lines going around. From a stylistic perspective, the shading works very well for the most part, mimicking a rough manga feel and the gritty atmosphere this show rests on.

duckroll

Of course you're right about Aoi not knowing what the audience knows about Kariya but...I assume she would actually know more. It's never really been established how much she knows about mage-shit, but after being married to Tokiomi Tōsaka I assume she'd know a little. I mean, at the start of the series in episode she's well aware that Kariya isn't a mage at all and I kind of assume that, as long time friends, she's knows how much of a failure Kariya's been throughout his whole life! It just didn't ring true to me.

But if you look at the nature of the scene in question, does it really matter? Kariya was lured into the church with the promise of Tokiomi being "delivered" to him by Kirei, so he could kill him. He already had the intention to kill him, and it just happened that someone else beat him to it.

Aoi was mostly reacting to her husband being dead, and upset that Kariya was so happy about it. Whether he actually killed the dude or not doesn't really matter to her at this point because there are two people in the room, and one guy is glad that the other person's husband is lying on the ground dead. Her reaction was pretty normal for the situation.

Furthermore, it was what she said about him which caused him to snap. It's not like she did something dumb like attempt to kill him for revenge, causing him to unnaturally kill her because he had to defend himself (I was worried that was going to happen!), but instead it was all on him.

It showed that the true Kariya is a terrible human being whose claims of selflessness are all attempts for him to try to earn the affection of someone who married another. He is the worst white knight ever, so I guess it is fitting that his servant is a black knight. Lol.

Because the writers want to keep Rider and Waver in the show some more. I guess.

It was dumb.

But I think that scene could have been much more effective if it just ended with Rider convincing Saber that she was tricked, and that they both used enough mana for the night, so continuing the fight would be pointless. That would have been in-character too.

Branduil

But I think that scene could have been much more effective if it just ended with Rider convincing Saber that she was tricked, and that they both used enough mana for the night, so continuing the fight would be pointless. That would have been in-character too.

Maybe it will be in the extended edition, lol.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Korean Zombie Desk Car - Of the Dead 03

This fucking show man. They ramped up the levels of ridiculous in the second season, it's pure stupid fun for the most part. Worth the watch IMO.

duckroll

I think we're all ignoring the biggest mystery of the series,
what did Aoi ever see in Tokiomi in the first place? "Oh baby, talk to me more about the majesty of magic. You know how much I like it when you get pedantic about being a mage."

Haha. Maybe he's just a really good fuck. They do have two daughters after all! Some men are really boring socially and professionally, but turn into monsters in bed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom