• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The thing that bothered me about Bleach is that it always has an extremely underwhelming payoff to it's arcs. Even SS (which I consider it's peak) it just sort of petered out, it basically concluded with a half-hearted thanks between Ichigo and Rukia before he is dropped back in the normal world, all of which is done in about 5 minutes. Considering the sheer length of the journey up until that point, its extremely unsatisfying to be denied a proper resolution.

Maybe I look for the wrong things in a shonen.

It's entirely possible for shounen series to have satisfying conclusions--I'm biased, but just about any major arc in One Piece springs to mind. Often multiple episodes will be devoted to aftermath and tying up any immediate loose ends. It's been forever since I've seen the Soul Society arc in Bleach, but your sentiments seem to echo the pattern for the ends of later arcs--there's a climax in the form of a battle, and then some token emotional catharsis that is summarily shoved aside to make room for the next arc. Post-climax resolutions seem like they should be prime spots for inserting some character development, but satisfyingly ending an arc is apparently trickier business than it seems. (or, and much more likely, Kubo is the world's biggest hack.)

Also, if you think that Bleach has underwhelming arc payoffs, NEVER touch Fairy Tail.

The thing that bothered me about Bleach is that it always has an extremely underwhelming payoff to it's arcs. Even SS (which I consider it's peak) it just sort of petered out, it basically concluded with a half-hearted thanks between Ichigo and Rukia before he is dropped back in the normal world, all of which is done in about 5 minutes. Considering the sheer length of the journey up until that point, its extremely unsatisfying to be denied a proper resolution.

Maybe I look for the wrong things in a shonen.

As Mad Pierrot said, plenty of shounen series have satisfying arc conclusions. Bleach just isn't one of them. I would argue even something like Naruto does in part 1 (particularly the Chuunin Exam arc).

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yawara

In my random quest to start 100 episode shows but never actually watch them, I decided to finally check this one out. It's a sports shoujo about a girl who is roped into Judo right at the time of its first introduction in the Olympics. What's interesting is that in the "real world", an actual Japanese girl did end up medaling at the Olympics so both she got a boost from the anime and the anime got a boost from the girl's success.

As for the It's a weird mix of Ranma's body humour and shoujo, since it begins with Yawara crushing on the dreamy boy.

This is basically how you meet Yawara:

And uguu gao, he's looking at me!

It's also interesting to see such a long game essentially planned out in the show:

(I assume she wins the gold medal!)
At the very least, I can see it justifying the 100 episode length if the show is basically three years of Yawara's life... it's basically an Adachi show, in that respect.

I probably wouldn't mind watching this and Slam Dunk, maybe even back to back, since presumably this would be more focused on Yawara and her life whereas Slam Dunk seems like it'd be 99% basketball matches, but two long as shows are stupidly daunting. Forever backlog. :(

I will say, old subs are funny if only because sometimes they don't give a fuck:

Perhaps I'll get to the two girl's volleyball shows sometime. lol

More importantly, how moe is Yawara?

I could have finished ten 26 episode shows in the time I devoted to Gintama so I am probably going to try and polish off some shorter shows now that I have the time.

But you said it doesn't matter how long something is as long as it's good.

But yeah, probably a good idea to do shorter shows for a little bit after that.

Jex

[AKB0048] - 8

You know what, this show is just too serious for me to derive pleasure regardless of how ridiculous the premise. It's not even particularly badly made, apart from the god awful CG.

I am not really sure who the target audience is.

She'll kick your ass!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In the first episode she rescues the idol from some bullies (long, long story) and she says "I'll protect you". Then he freaks out and runs away from here. lol

I get the feeling that a lot of the series will be about her being tsundere about being good at Judo, before she eventually starts taking it seriously. At some point, she'll probably be deredere for some boy who can appreciate her Judo prowess and she'll win the gold medal and get the handsome hunk.

So, pretty moe?

Instro

[AKB0048] - 8

You know what, this show is just too serious for me to derive pleasure regardless of how ridiculous the premise. It's not even particularly badly made, apart from the god awful CG.

I am not really sure who the target audience is.

So who gets to be Jexhius the 4th.

cajunator

Banned
After checking out the Magi manga, I'm actually pretty impressed. I really hope they get a good studio and director to handle the adaptation, because it could be really special if done well.

I looked at some of the manga. It is SUUUUUUUPERCUTE.
I approve highly.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Magi turns into shounenshit later on but the first few chapters are definitely awesome.

cajunator

Banned
It kind of makes me wonder what ADV did with all its dub voice actors.
Some of them went to Sentai, but Sentai mostly subtitles shit nowadays and doesn't bother to dub it.

Dresden

I liked Aladdin goofing off but a recreation of the
birth of democracy
in magical notArabia with
Alibaba as Solon
is too good.

Also has awesome action. I want slow-mo cuts of Mor's knee smashing into a giant monkey demon's face, teeth and blood flying out as his nose gets crushed in. SO GOOD.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yawara has three modes:

1. Yawara refusing to participate in the sport she excels in. This mode is just frustrating.

2. Yawara actually participating in said sport. Fun times can be had here.

3. Relationship drama, including everything involving a certain reporter. I suggest you keep sharp objects locked away before you start having bad thoughts here.

Kazzy

It's entirely possible for shounen series to have satisfying conclusions--I'm biased, but just about any major arc in One Piece springs to mind. Often multiple episodes will be devoted to aftermath and tying up any immediate loose ends. It's been forever since I've seen the Soul Society arc in Bleach, but your sentiments seem to echo the pattern for the ends of later arcs--there's a climax in the form of a battle, and then some token emotional catharsis that is summarily shoved aside to make room for the next arc. Post-climax resolutions seem like they should be prime spots for inserting some character development, but satisfyingly ending an arc is apparently trickier business than it seems. (or, and much more likely, Kubo is the world's biggest hack.)

Also, if you think that Bleach has underwhelming arc payoffs, NEVER touch Fairy Tail.

Before I dropped the show entirely, I was curious and decided to jump forward a few (hundred) episodes, mainly to see if anything actually does progress. I was relieved, and also a little sad to see that the main cast essentially haven't progressed at all. Even the scant character moments were continually undercut with goofy comedy , which had become even more apparent at that point.

I pretty much stopped about halfway through the Hueco-Mundo arc so never saw it through, but what happened with that, something similar?

And don't worry, everything about Fairly Tale looks horrendous, there is no worry about me trying it.

cajunator

Banned
Before I dropped the show entirely, I was curious and decided to jump forward a few (hundred) episodes, mainly to see if anything actually does progress. I was relieved, and also a little sad to see that the main cast essentially haven't progressed at all. Even the scant character moments were continually undercut with goofy comedy , which had become even more apparent at that point.

I pretty much stopped about halfway through the Hueco-Mundo arc so never saw it through, but what happened with that, something similar?

And don't worry, everything about Fairly Tale looks horrendous, there is no worry about me trying it.

but....Juvia

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yawara has three modes:

1. Yawara refusing to participate in the sport she excels in. This mode is just frustrating.

2. Yawara actually participating in said sport. Fun times can be had here.

3. Relationship drama, including everything involving a certain reporter. I suggest you keep sharp objects locked away before you start having bad thoughts here.

Wait, is Yawara x Reporter really the canon pairing? Isn't that... illegal?! lol

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
The war arc in Magi drags a bit, and it has a bit too much shonen powerups, but otherwise it is a good arc, reminds me a lot of FMA.

Worst part was
the citizens first being "YEAH A REPUBLIC" 5 minutes later "RAH KILL THE NOBLES" 5 minutes later "YEAH A REPUBLIC".

cajunator

Banned
The war arc in Magi drags a bit, and it has a bit too much shonen powerups, but otherwise it is a good arc, reminds me a lot of FMA.

But the characters designs and art. ohhhhh myyyyy redacted.
Unless this is a different manga than what I'm thinking about.
Is Magi and Magico the same?

1stStrike

Banned
Time to finish up the last 6 episodes of Stein's Gate. I'm looking forward to how this pans out.

After that I guess I'll need to find another series to watch.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Wait, is Yawara x Reporter really the canon pairing? Isn't that... illegal?! lol
Oh, the term "pairing" is used really loosely in Yawara. Rich guy is a transparently two-faced sleaze who is painful to watch, and the reporter has no spine whatsoever which makes you want to punch your own crotch. I hope you're not a fan of progress because you won't find much here!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, the term "pairing" is used really loosely in Yawara. Rich guy is a transparently two-faced sleaze who is painful to watch, and the reporter has no spine whatsoever which makes you want to punch your own crotch. I hope you're not a fan of progress because you won't find much here!
Well... it's a hundred and twenty four episodes so I can't expect that much. lol

It's probably not something to be marathoned though, I take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom