• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grzi

Caught up on Tsuritama, blazed through 7 episodes today. Man, what a show, perfect for these summer days. I don't want it to end, but at the same time I'm extremely excited for the finale tomorrow. Hopefully it ends on a high note, and it should, since it's been getting better with each episode.

Grzi

Man, there's people on AnimeGAF who like Wolf's Rain, finally, a place where I belong!
If only I could find someone here who feels the same way about Xam'd, I would never leave this place.

Dresden

Man, there's people on AnimeGAF who like Wolf's Rain, finally, a place where I belong!
If only I could find someone here who feels the same way about Xam'd, I would never leave this place.

Hey, lots of us like (the first few episodes of) Xam'd (before things fell apart)!

Grzi

Yeah, the first two episodes are amazing. ;___;

If the rest was that good, we'd get the greatest anime ever and we wouldn't need to watch a single episode of any other show ever!
So it could be considered a good thing that it didn't fulfill its potential.
:(

Jex

B-But I liked Summer Wars. I watched it twice! D:

Then again, my liking of The Cat Returns over Whisper of the Heart seemed to send duckroll into a fit of nerd rage, so maybe there's something wrong with my tastes in anime.

Don't worry, you have to pull out a few more crazy opinions before your name gets written on the list.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yeah, the first two episodes are amazing. ;___;

Much like I will always claim that Sankarea is a three-episode tragedy about a girl whose terrible home life drives her to suicide after meeting an eccentric young boy whose obsession with zombies causes her to romanticize death, I will always claim that Xam'd is a short series about a boy who has to come to terms with the drudgery of being a postman on a war-torn continent after his sudden transformation into a monster drives him from his home.

This is an utter falsehood.

Nothing can make the tales of Byston Well obsolete.

I've seen shows come within striking distance!

muUyy.jpg

Jex

Not a bad ending, simply unsatisfying.
The characters didn't deserve their fates

In honesty, though, I might not actually know what I'm talking about as I haven't watched Wolf's Rain in seven or eight years and, well, the way that I evaluate anime has changed drastically since then. I try not to automatically consider any opinions invalid that I formed before I started taking anime seriously, but I don't discount the strong possibility that I just couldn't look past the fact that
it was a really downer ending
back then.
I'd argue that the ending
wasn't really a downer. The character's didn't really exist in a 'real world', as it were, it was more of a myth of folktale. They searched for paradise and, through profound sacrifice, they were all able to be remade in a (presumably) better world. At least a rather less desolate one.

Much like I will always claim that Sankarea is a three-episode tragedy about a girl whose terrible home life drives her to suicide after meeting an eccentric young boy whose obsession with zombies causes her to romanticize death, I will always claim that Xam'd is a short series about a boy who has to come to terms with the drudgery of being a postman on a war-torn continent after his sudden transformation into a monster drives him from his home.
I think that is how I will watch Sankarea.

Grzi

I posted detailed thoughts on the overall series after it ended years ago: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=2209295&postcount=1489

Nice read, I must say I agree with everything you wrote, although I don't find some of the flaws you mentioned (mostly the lack of various explanations) as jarring as you did. I'm glad I'm not the only one on GAF who enjoyed the show though :)

Oh, and do you think the show would benefit from lasting a season longer? I always felt that having 13 more episodes would help the narrative, even if it ended being a bit slow, in this case it would be better than rushing through everything as it happened in the end.

duckroll

Nice read, I must say I agree with everything you wrote, although I don't find some of the flaws you mentioned (mostly the lack of various explanations) as jarring as you did. I'm glad I'm not the only one on GAF who enjoyed the show though :)

Oh, and do you think the show would benefit from lasting a season longer? I always felt that having 13 more episodes would help the narrative, even if it ended being a bit slow, in this case it would be better than rushing through everything as it happened in the end.

Thanks. I don't really think the show would have benefited much from a longer season. I feel they had more than enough time to tell the story they wanted to tell. The weakness in the narrative comes from not knowing exactly how to tell that story in the best way. More planning or more experience would probably have helped a lot more than just giving a show more episodes.

Grzi

You probably consider Bleach a show about a kid who has a crazy adventure in Soul Society, gets a badge signifying he's a substitute Shinigami, but the badge doesn't actually do anything, it was just a way for the captains to get rid of him and he spends the rest of his life living normally with his friends and family?
And Naruto is a story about a kid ninja who wants to be a Hokage, but at the end realizes he will never accomplish that dream after witnessing a crazy summoning battle of three high level Shinobi, and resorts to a normal life in his hidden village with the new friends he made?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You probably consider Bleach a show about a kid who has a crazy adventure in Soul Society, gets a badge signifying he's a substitute Shinigami, but the badge doesn't actually do anything, it was just a way for the captains to get rid of him and he spends the rest of his life living normally with his friends and family?
And Naruto is a story about a kid ninja who wants to be a Hokage, but at the end realizes he will never accomplish that dream after witnessing a crazy summoning battle of three high level Shinobi, and resorts to a normal life in his hidden village with the new friends he made?

Bleach is a story about a delinquent who has to rescue a girl from execution in a Japan-themed afterlife populated by monstrously-powerful gods of death.
I'm still proud to be on #TeamBleach with DTL.

Naruto is a story about three young ninja trainees who are tasked with protecting an architect from a murderous swordsman and his masked apprentice.

One Piece is still ongoing and I expect it to continue for the next decade.

Jex

What happens when your name goes on "the list"? And who currently populates it? I need to see just how bad this is.

You'll know when you go on the list. At the moment I don't have a file of crazy things that you've said, so you don't need to go on the list.

thelist.jpg

Grzi

Thanks. I don't really think the show would have benefited much from a longer season. I feel they had more than enough time to tell the story they wanted to tell. The weakness in the narrative comes from not knowing exactly how to tell that story in the best way. More planning or more experience would probably have helped a lot more than just giving a show more episodes.

Yeah, you're probably right.
I actually had no idea the team working on Xam'd was inexperienced, never bothered to look it up really. That actually explains a lot.

Jex

Back in the day they just used to call this Gonzo syndrome.

Jex

For those of you interested in Miyazaki's thought processes and long term decision making (and who isn't) I came across an interesting speech that Miyazaki made in 1992. In it he discusses thinking about how the flow of time must be perceived differently for very small creatures that live short lives and very large organisms that live long lives. As well as discussing time he also discusses scale, and in particular, how a bee might view the world:

Miyzaki said:
Of course, what I'm telling you is all from my imagination, but when we create animation and draw images of living things, we have to study their movements. If you did, I'm sure you would ultimately come to the same conclusion that I have - namely, that a second for a human is altogether different than a second for a plant or animal...

Rather than make a film with bees in it, using an electron microscope to just magnify and reveal their world, I've always thought that it would be far more interesting to male something from within the world of a bee, from the perspective of the bee. Such a film would probably be much more interesting than one about going to another planet. I've always thought about this, but somehow it's always been too difficult to do.
Quite recently Studio Ghibli made Arrietty, a tale from the perspective of someone very small. That movie certainly did a good job of capturing how the normal world might appear to someone very small but, of course, films have been doing that since the Incredible Shrinking Man. I guess Miyazaki still hasn't managed to come up with a way to portray time as a creature like a bee would perceive it.

Kazzy

Bleach is a story about a delinquent who has to rescue a girl from execution in a Japan-themed afterlife populated by monstrously-powerful gods of death.
I'm still proud to be on #TeamBleach with DTL.

The thing that bothered me about Bleach is that it always has an extremely underwhelming payoff to it's arcs. Even SS (which I consider it's peak) it just sort of petered out, it basically concluded with a half-hearted thanks between Ichigo and Rukia before he is dropped back in the normal world, all of which is done in about 5 minutes. Considering the sheer length of the journey up until that point, its extremely unsatisfying to be denied a proper resolution.

Maybe I look for the wrong things in a shonen.

Check the obituaries.
ibxuC6cdropK26.gif

Braduil is okay in my book, though.
For those of you interested in Miyazaki's thought processes and long term decision making (and who isn't) I came across an interesting speech that Miyazaki made in 1992. In it he discusses thinking about how the flow of time must be perceived differently for very small creatures that live short lives and very large organisms that live long lives. As well as discussing time he also discusses scale, and in particular, how a bee might view the world:

Quite recently Studio Ghibli made Arrietty, a tale from the perspective of someone very small. That movie certainly did a good job of capturing how the normal world might appear to someone very small but, of course, films have been doing that since the Incredible Shrinking Man. I guess Miyazaki still hasn't managed to come up with a way to portray time as a creature like a bee would perceive it.
He should just do a film about a single-celled organism.

The thing that bothered me about Bleach is that it always has an extremely underwhelming payoff to it's arcs. Even SS (which I consider it's peak) it just sort of petered out, it basically concluded with a half-hearted thanks between Ichigo and Rukia before he is dropped back in the normal world, all of which is done in about 5 minutes. Considering the sheer length of the journey up until that point, its extremely unsatisfying to be denied a proper resolution.

Maybe I look for the wrong things in a shonen.

Not a fan of IchiRuki oriented moments? I think I would disagree, I have no qualms with the resolution of the arcs that made up Arrancar Saga, it was even actually a pretty great ending for the series, if he ended at that point, nearly resolved everything important to me.

survivor

Banned
Seitokai Yakuindomo 3

Meh episode. The anime isn't as funny when the group is separated. I did like camera girl.

Future Boy Conan 7

So Monsley warns the guard that Conan is incredibly dangerous and what does the guard? Open the door to the cell and go in by himself. Why is Industria filled with idiots?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yawara

In my random quest to start 100 episode shows but never actually watch them, I decided to finally check this one out. It's a sports shoujo about a girl who is roped into Judo right at the time of its first introduction in the Olympics. What's interesting is that in the "real world", an actual Japanese girl did end up medaling at the Olympics so both she got a boost from the anime and the anime got a boost from the girl's success.

As for the It's a weird mix of Ranma's body humour and shoujo, since it begins with Yawara crushing on the dreamy boy.

This is basically how you meet Yawara:

And uguu gao, he's looking at me!

It's also interesting to see such a long game essentially planned out in the show:
(I assume she wins the gold medal!)
At the very least, I can see it justifying the 100 episode length if the show is basically three years of Yawara's life... it's basically an Adachi show, in that respect.

I probably wouldn't mind watching this and Slam Dunk, maybe even back to back, since presumably this would be more focused on Yawara and her life whereas Slam Dunk seems like it'd be 99% basketball matches, but two long as shows are stupidly daunting. Forever backlog. :(

I will say, old subs are funny if only because sometimes they don't give a fuck:

Perhaps I'll get to the two girl's volleyball shows sometime. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom