• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

This quote is a re-post on my part, but the whole interview from the Tabulæ Anatomicæ DEVILMAN artbook is funny and passionate enough (specially for Hideaki Anno, it gives me that feeling) to warrant it a bigger exposure... for everyone that hasn't read it yet of course!

Which reminds me, I should really watch my copy of Nausicaa with Anno's commentary on.

Dresden

And yet, the five minutes of the Negima movie I got around to watching still looked pretty bad (even by SHAFT standards, and I like SHAFT).

They cut out like 20 minutes and it still wasn't finished--theatergoers reported stretches where the screen was just white, for example. And then they added in 40 minutes of footage for the DVD release to get it up to a somewhat respectable 84 minutes. And still it looked like shit.

Oh, SHAFT.

/XX/

And yet, the five minutes of the Negima movie I got around to watching still looked pretty bad (even by SHAFT standards, and I like SHAFT).
The best part is that the movie went into theaters unfinished. :p
They've come a long way from that, but even then... I... I don't know what to expect from Kizumonogatari yet, and that has had its own share of delays and what not!

This Panty & Stocking dub is very good. Cursing always sounds better in English, and English is dirtier than Japanese. Pretty good first episode.
If you have liked this first episode, that garnered most part of the criticism for this series when it first aired, the rest will be a smooth sailing from here on out.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I am posting this here since i can't find a generic anime thread. If its inappropriate tell me and i will edit it out.

I was pretty burned out of anime the last few years mainly because most of what i saw was depressing as hell. I watched Toradora recently and liked it a lot. Are there any similar anime out there? I am looking for something lighthearted mostly. Thanks.

If you're looking for romance:

Lovely Complex
Kimi ni Todoke
Arakawa Under the Bridge

duckroll

They've come a long way from that, but even then... I... I don't know what to expect from Kizumonogatari yet, and that has had its own share of delays and what not!

Well, it's not coming out this year anymore, so you don't have to worry about it anytime soon!

Tsuritama 11

Fortunately the rushed production didn't get in the way too much, though you tell they were cutting corners here and there. There were a couple confusing storyboarding moments, but in general it was a really effective episode. Yuki was its main driver: it brought together the fishing techniques he's learned, his habit of reviewing past events in a filmreel, and his becoming more comfortable with public attention to show just how far he's come, and how much his friends are willing to support him.

I was thinking that the climactic fishing sequence felt a bit underwhelming, but then it went and pulled the rug out from under me. Haru, noooo!
Why do you do this to me, Nakamura? Why?! (Lest anyone get concerned, I say this because he got me good, not due to a trainwreck or anything like that.)

duckroll

Apollon Episode 11

ARGH NO WHAT WHY AGOAHSFIHFIOAOIRFAIOFHOIWHFIWHIODW. Where is ep12? FUCK. Watanabe lead us not into temptation, and deliver us from evil! PLEASE!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tell me 7th... is she really an alien? The series made it such a big cliffhanger!

Lovely Complex
Kimi ni Todoke
Arakawa Under the Bridge
I would recommend Natsu no Arashi over Arakawa if you're going for actual romance (and keeping it in the Shaft family).

And since someone else liked it, I'll just say Hatsukoi Limited. Sora no Manimani is a light romance as well.

Grzi

Man can't wait to watch Apollon ep11 AND Tsuritama ep11 tonight.
But wait, Tsuritama is also 12 episodes? Since when? :D Very pleased about that.

Medaka Box 12
rLSLD.jpg
So much metaphors. I felt I was back in an English class. The horrors.
Though, I actually got most of them and it wasn't as heavy written as the past episodes, so it actually wasn't a bad episode.
Yay, season 2!

/XX/

Well, it's not coming out this year anymore, so you don't have to worry about it anytime soon!
Don't remind me, what a glorious way to announce it; "you see, our intention is to animate all this volumes from the light novel series, we can do it, we are committed to it... oh, by the way, we can't even cope with the work for this sole movie, DELAYED":

映画『傷物語』は2012年公開は難しい。延期という形になる、猫白~恋までの2ndシーズンは2クールぐらいのTVシリーズで考えている |やらおん!
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-8657.html

Panty & Stocking 1

Not bad. Not bad at all. Comparing this English dub to the last time I tried to watch P&S subbed, it's hit all of the right spots for me. Think I'll just keep watching it like this.

The character designs are UPA-esque with all of the animation that UPA never had. The character interaction is silly and over-the-top, but it rarely lets up, and the comic absurdity is definitely what's going to keep me around for more. I mean: this is very well-executed, fun stuff all-around. Nothing insightful, and it's very crass—but it revels in that, and I'm not getting the impression that it's cheaply-made, or poorly-directed. Everything's working for me.

I liked the second part of the double-episode better, personally. Turd monsters are just ridiculous, but that part felt basic and, compared to how well the speed demon symbolized Panty's problems with men, it just felt gratuitous without enough pay-off. Pretty good overall.

Sket Dance 3

That's like the second Bleach reference, looks the author is a big fan.

Sket Dance 4

Haha, I love shoujo manga girl, too bad she didn't get the full episode.

BTW, how is the anime handling the adaptation? I'm assuming when the episode covers two stories, each one is one chapter? So then if the episode isn't divided into two parts, that means it's covering one chapter stretched out or two chapters?

Roman, never gets old seeing. I remember a few months ago just watching all the episodes to whenever it was current on crunchyroll, best use of crunchyroll ever.

Vlodril

Lovely Complex
Kimi ni Todoke
Arakawa Under the Bridge

Tell me 7th... is she really an alien? The series made it such a big cliffhanger!

I would recommend Natsu no Arashi over Arakawa if you're going for actual romance (and keeping it in the Shaft family).

And since someone else liked it, I'll just say Hatsukoi Limited. Sora no Manimani is a light romance as well.

Well another good romantic comedy is Lovely Complex. As trejo mentioned, the director of Toradora also did the recent Ano Natsu de Matteru which was solid.

Thanks for the replies i really appreciate it.

Apollon Episode 11

ARGH NO WHAT WHY AGOAHSFIHFIOAOIRFAIOFHOIWHFIWHIODW. Where is ep12? FUCK. Watanabe lead us not into temptation, and deliver us from evil! PLEASE!
It all returns to nothing
I just keep falling down
Falling down falling down~
It all returns to nothing

—Fuck, the next line is 7 syllables. Screw you Anno!

survivor

Banned
Sengoku Collection 12

Dull episode. They didn't even try to be creative or do anything crazy outside of the thing that happened in the last 2 minutes which was surprising.

So that was the guy from the first episode right? Surprised to see them reuse the same location. Oh and the 3 Time Lords also made an appearance, been a long time since we last saw them.

Jex

[Dusk Maiden of Amnesia] - 3

Oh, I get it, this episode is the hook. Now I understand why people are still watching this series.

Also, I skipped episode one based on everyone's advice. Thanks for suffering through it so that I didn't have to.

[Dusk Maiden of Amnesia] - 3

Oh, I get it, this episode is the hook. Now I understand why people are still watching this series.

Also, I skipped episode one based on everyone's advice. Thanks for suffering through it so that I didn't have to.

I'd almost say go back to ep 1 after the show is over just to see how poor of an intro it is.

Can't believe I'll have to watch the first season of Horizon just so I can have stuff to watch this summer.

Good choice. Horizon s2 is the 3rd most important show of summer.

Tsuritama 11
Such a good episode. I really don't have more to say, besides saying how good it was. I really can't wait to see how this show ends.

duckroll

Tsuritama 11

So good. The episode handles the tone and scale of the situation really well. I can't believe we went from episode 1 to this in just 11 episodes. It's really refreshing to see something like this in a short series, and the conclusion looks to be really exciting. Shounen fishing action indeed. :D

Makoto

Panty & Stocking 1

Not bad. Not bad at all. Comparing this English dub to the last time I tried to watch P&S subbed, it's hit all of the right spots for me. Think I'll just keep watching it like this.

The character designs are UPA-esque with all of the animation that UPA never had. The character interaction is silly and over-the-top, but it rarely lets up, and the comic absurdity is definitely what's going to keep me around for more. I mean: this is very well-executed, fun stuff all-around. Nothing insightful, and it's very crass—but it revels in that, and I'm not getting the impression that it's cheaply-made, or poorly-directed. Everything's working for me.
The one things that bothers me about the designs are the feet. Panty and Stocking look like they have hooves.

ZetaEpyon

In Tasogare's case, the first episode is actually detrimental to the flow of the story, erasing all tension for later developments and spoiling others.

Yeah, this was my main issue with ep 1 of Tasogare, not so much that it was a bad episode in and of itself. It basically just destroys any tension that the next couple eps could have had.

Jex

[Kids on the Slope] - 11

Apollon11.jpg

There are no words.

Well, that a lie. There are plenty of words, but I don't feel like sitting down to analyse what I just witnessed at present. I am just content to live in the moment.

My first reaction to the 'accident' was "Huh, I don't really think that was necessary. That seems a bit cheap." After learning how it wasn't Sentaro that was actually injured I learnt to accept that particular plot line, it actually fits in naturally with Sentaro's character because it's actually becomes more about his status as an outsider figure and less about cheap drama.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sakamichi no Apollon 11
6faht.jpg

This felt like a pretty weak episode in a series that continues to struggle when it comes to stirring my interest. The lazy montages and rapid mood swings are an issue of pacing, but the hammy dramatics feel entirely unsensational in the standard soap opera script. The intent to raise stakes and climax properly feel forced and out of place, but the issue blows itself up when the story treads into "gotchya" antics. Emotionally toying with the audience by fooling them through a lack of information in presentation and time skips is pretty trashy.

It's hard going from following 16 shows to not having stuff to watch. :(

Didn't you enjoy the first season of Moyashimon? Watch the sequel of that! You don't need to resort to such drastic measures! If there's really nothing that appeals to you in the summer, you can always line up backlog shows. Or even rewatch stuff.

Unless, of course, you genuinely think Horizon looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom