• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Episode 25: Fate/Zero

Kalafina said:
The beautiful light of the moon
sinks to the beginning
Towards that distance
which is yet so far away
I hold out my hands
with closing eyes,
believing in your lamentation

The beautiful light of the moon
simply erodes quietly to the beginning
My locked away desire
is still far away
within the darkness
All the days in which
I lived together with you
are a gentle song

duckroll

Episode 25 - Fate/Zero: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1340453326

Time for us all to gather round and enjoy this show one last time! ;_;

iSYjZQy4B9ki7.jpg

Risette

A Good Citizen
So I just wrapped the Fullmetal Manga in a two-day binge inbetween studying Japanese and eating delicious cake.

Is there any good Sakuga in either of the anime? What I see on Toonami is largely slipshod, but I'd kill for some good bendingalchemy fights. I've already seen Sacred Star of Milos.
That's like asking if there's doctors in a hospital or something. Yes.

Also I don't see how you can call any episode from either series "largely slipshod", animation-wise. Some episodes stand out above the others in both series but they're both pretty consistently well animated.

survivor

Banned
Mysterious Girlfriend X 11

A very crazy episode and it's pretty much a great highlight of why I like this anime. Satisfactory conclusion to Hayakawa's arc and I was impressed by Urabe's handling of the situation.

Fate/Zero 25 (end)

Well it was an alright end. I think it would have worked better if episode 24 was just 40 something minutes including this stuff. Best parts were
Kiritsugu and Saber not winning! I was so glad, and Gilgamesh scene, wow lol awesome, and Waver's scene, and whoever that kid Shiro is scene was really touching

Overall Fate Zero was an alright anime with good production values and actually compelling action when it was present. For a Grail War I guess I was expecting way more action and less talking and strategizing but developing key characters like Kerry, Ryuunuosuke, Waver, Gilgamesh, and Lancelot still happend and was well. Favorites were Kerry, Waver, Ryuunosuke, worst character was Saber and Kiritsugu. 8 / 10.

Now to hope for a stateside rerelease of this and fate/stay so I can see what happens next.

Jex

SHAFT's visuals and their imitators are the most obnoxious thing to happen to anime.
Sankarea might have been an OK show otherwise, but those effects drove me to drop it.

The SHAFT-lite elements of Sankarea as possibly the only good thing to come from either the anime or manga.

cajunator

Banned
Fate/Zero 25 (end)

Well it was an alright end. I think it would have worked better if episode 24 was just 40 something minutes including this stuff. Best parts were
Kiritsugu and Saber not winning! I was so glad, and Gilgamesh scene, wow lol awesome, and Waver's scene, and whoever that kid Shiro is scene was really touching

Overall Fate Zero was an alright anime with good production values and actually compelling action when it was present. For a Grail War I guess I was expecting way more action and less talking and strategizing but developing key characters like Kerry, Ryuunuosuke, Waver, Gilgamesh, and Lancelot still happend and was well. Favorites were Kerry, Waver, Ryuunosuke, worst character was Saber and Kiritsugu. 7 / 10.

Now to hope for a stateside rerelease of this and fate/stay so I can see what happens next.

There already is a release of FSN. I might actually watch the beginning of it to see how it segues from this.

1stStrike

Banned
Fate/Zero 25 (end)

I think you'll be a bit disappointed by Fate/Stay coming from Fate/Zero. Since FSN came earlier its production values aren't as high and it doesn't make any direct references back to what you just watched in FZ.

If FZ had come first and then they made FSN it would've been much more cohesive overall and would have made for a better story. I would've really liked to see Saber's feelings from FZ transfer over to FSN, but that doesn't happen.

cajunator

Banned
I think you'll be a bit disappointed by Fate/Stay coming from Fate/Zero. Since FSN came earlier its production values aren't as high and it doesn't make any direct references back to what you just watched in FZ.

If FZ had come first and then they made FSN it would've been much more cohesive overall and would have made for a better story. I would've really liked to see Saber's feelings from FZ transfer over to FSN, but that doesn't happen.

True, there isnt really a transition. Its just "later on".
I havent seen FSN in a long time though.

There are F/Z references, but the take was well before this so some of the scenes drawn were different, such as the brief flashback of Kirei and Kiritsugu confrontation, not to mention the opening in the first episode with the Fuyuki fire is presented differently than what we just saw now.

Soma

Fate/Zero End

That last scene...

CGZ91.jpg

A satisfying conclusion to possibly one of my favorite anime shows in years. Wrapped up everything very nicely and sets the stage for the F/SN story.

Grzi

It's DTL. He'll love it.

Jintor

Korra no Densetsu -FIN-

I'm really glad I read Fullmetal Alchemist today because otherwise I would be KILLING PEOPLE over that finale.

I'm kind of curious what F/Z only viewers made of
the references to Angra Mainyu.
It's not something they really explained in this show. That and
Gilgamesh getting a physical body probably seem rather random.

1stStrike

Banned
Hey, you can do that right now if you'd like!

But it's not raining D:

There are F/Z references, but the take was well before this so some of the scenes drawn were different, such as the brief flashback of Kirei and Kiritsugu confrontation, not to mention the opening in the first episode with the Fuyuki fire is presented differently than what we just saw now.

The flashbacks and references are different visually, as well as verbally. They don't say the same things, the scenes look different, things just don't mesh together. It's not like Saber ever thinks back to Berserker or the meeting of King's and reflects on what happened. She doesn't ever tell Shirō about anything that occurred with Kiritsugu (aside from what happened specifically with the Grail).

So, in that regard, it's a bit disappointing. IMO they should just remake FSN as a direct sequel to FZ, but that will probably never happen.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Fate/Zero END

So I think certain choices to switch the location of certain scenes annoyed me. Particularly Berserker and Saber. I don't know.... I guess I'll cross-thread posts.

Episode 25

Good episode. I see why they left out that particular scene last episode since they saved it for this one. Can't say I agree but it works I guess. Overall it was a good episode but I think the lack of explaining certain Grail related things and what ACTUALLY happened to Kiritsugu left a bitter taste in my mouth. Oh well.

EDIT: I enjoyed that the last scene is a total throwback/tie-in to Stay which is really cool. Too bad Stay will never live up to the awesomeness that is Zero so oh well...

Help, I can't stop crying. T_T

Omg... seriously? lolz

Risette

A Good Citizen
SHAFT's visuals and their imitators are the most obnoxious thing to happen to anime.
Sankarea might have been an OK show otherwise, but those effects drove me to drop it.
They are pretty obnoxious. It's not that their tricks are inherently bad -- they could be cool if they used them with care and thought. But SHAFT and their hellspawn use them in such a manner that makes shows feel like a disjointed collection of "crazy" shots without much rhyme or reason created by going down a "things I learned from Shinbo and Takeuchi" checklist, not because using stock "crazy" shot X would be artistically efficient, just a reasonably good way to do whatever, or because the person behind it just liked it. One could call this an unfounded assumption, but when they have several shows, mostly adapted from other works of varying genres, tone, and style, that all visibly take from the same bag of tricks, it's not an unreasonable assumption I'd say. They seem to not make any sort of attempt to make content and expression match. I'd say there are more obnoxious things in anime though.

And there are of course, the good SHAFTly shows, but they are not the majority. Sankarea was one of them for three episodes or so, so I can't agree with you on that second part.

Yeah... pretty much everyone got [
fucked over
which is good since it's at least consistent with the rest of the series.
Things worked out pretty well for Kotomine and Gilgamesh. Kirei gets to troll a new generation and Gil gets a physical body to stick around with.

Is Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works basically a condensed version of the animated series?

Unlimited Blade Works is a super condensed film version of the 2nd route of the visual novel, the full FSN anime covers a different route/sequence of events than the UBW movie.

1stStrike

Banned
Is Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works basically a condensed version of the animated series?

Unlimited Blade Works is a super condensed film version of the 2nd route of the visual novel, the full FSN anime covers a different route/sequence of events than the UBW movie.

Pretty much. It has some better animation, some new fight scenes over FSN, and a certain girl gets smooshed which didn't happen in FSN, heh.

I recommend watching FSN and then going back and watching the movie. Unlimited Blade Works was really good IMO, but only if you knew the story before hand. The fight scenes were great, though, especially the final duel.

Grzi

You need to have seen the original series to get what's going on in UBW, it's extremely rushed. But if you approach it as an alternative retelling aimed at the fans of the first series it's pretty good, lots of great action and cool moments.
It sucks as a stand alone movie though.
But I don't think it should be viewed as a stand alone movie by anyone.

Jex

[Fate/Zero] - Finale

That didn't really feel like an episode in itself. It felt like another part of last weeks episode. That's not really Ufotable's fault, that's just one of the limits of TV anime. I imagine it will work far better for the BD release, especially when episode 24 gets fleshed out properly.

That's not to say that it wasn't a satisfying conclusion, because I suppose it was, but that really stuck out to me. Also, I don't see the point in
having it revealed that Aoi didn't actually die. I suppose being brain-damaged and wheel chair bound is supposed to be worse than death, and as this series seems to enjoy characters suffering I suppose that as good a reason as any to have her live. It just felt wholly unnecessary and a little pointlessly cruel. Unlike Kerry's fate, which felt extremely fitting. Yes, it allowed to us to have Kirei enjoy Rin's suffering, but we already know he's a bastard.

Also, having a character show up (okay, found in the rubble) for the episode and receive zero characterisation only to proclaim that he'll be a hero is kind of a weak note to leave the show on. I know that it tie's into the next story, but still I don't want it to tie into F/SN.

Here's a non-spoiler pretty image, one of the few that I can post:

FateZero25.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Reminds me of those smelly Orlesians!
Or the girl in the Dragon Age movie!
;_; That makes me sad. Very very sad.
Sentai dubs keep on giving, my friend.
Words could never bring justice to the...erm...fitting execution of such an incredible line.
One day I'll hear that line myself...one day.
Join the club!
That said, I hope the Gintama dub isn't shit. lol
A really good run of episodes, now it’s time for the spotlight to shine on Mugi, right? I pretty much like the entire cast at this point, well, expect Sawako.
How can you hate poor Sawako?
bu bu but the handshakes :(
Friendzone handshakes. :(

Korra no Densetsu -FIN-

I'm really glad I read Fullmetal Alchemist today because otherwise I would be KILLING PEOPLE over that finale.
Waaaaaaaat!

/XX/

I was wondering about that sudden name drop, because I don't remember hearing it or any related explanation on it from this series before...

That's not to say that it wasn't a satisfying conclusion, because I suppose it was, but that really stuck out to me. Also, I don't see the point in
having it revealed that Aoi didn't actually die. I suppose being brain-damaged and wheel chair bound is supposed to be worse than death, and as this series seems to enjoy characters suffering I suppose that as good a reason as any to have her live. It just felt wholly unnecessary and a little pointlessly cruel. Unlike Kerry's fate, which felt extremely fitting. Yes, it allowed to us to have Kirei enjoy Rin's suffering, but we already know he's a bastard.
We saw the end of the subtlety in which the staff handled Kirei's character some episodes ago, so I was thinking that this is kind of a recompense to his ways, going all out showing it. Complete victory for him!

Dresden

Fate/Zero - 25

I love it when gen twists the knife.

Does it make me a monster that I enjoy
Kirei's antics
so much?

And good going (f/sn)
Kerry, you've just turned your adoptive son into a suicidal jackass.

I think a lot of people are going to be confused about the sequence of events in between
Gilgamesh getting dumped with all the evils of the world
and
Kirei waking up to see naked Gil sitting sultrily on a rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom