• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

The Golden Laws

iFGHt.png

Happy Science has failed me. This is the worst film of the Truth I have seen thus far.
In general, two brats go back in time to screw with events mentioned in the Bible, regarding Buddha, regarding Buddha, etc. As heart stopping as that sounds, it comes off with dull execution. Not even a giant sea monster could help me get a reaction out of it.

2251Y.png

Behold. HAPPY SCIENCE!

A crying elephant here, some ugly CG there and some Hermes "Pew-Pew" around here but that's the extent of it.

At least the dub voice for the main character was mildly amusing in its bad. It's like if Ash Ketchum fused with a typical child extra dub.

Narag

Fate/Zero 25

Definitely a strong finish.
I was unsure how the fallout of the destruction of the grail would be handled but man, such a character oriented finish. Kiritsugu's breakdwon in the rubble made me feel so sad, Kirei's revel in it pissed me off, the Waver scenes were touching as hell, and seeing Kiritsugu repurpose himself for the sake of Shiro was heartwarming. It's like he finally found his place to belong after all these years. Those ending words were harsh but an appropriate bookend on everything. While the first season didn't feel this way, the second half's focus on Kiritsugu was too great. Also dat manservice.

I had the feeling Lancelot's words cut Saber far deeper than Rider ever could. Her subjects apparently had this absolute belief in her but I take it she was the one that didn't believe in them hence her self-sacrificial nature whereas respect was mutual between Rider and his.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Just remember that the first episode is the worst, and so it's all uphill from there. :)

Oh my gosh. Everyone needs to stop exaggerating. It's not a horrible episode AT ALL. In fact, it's one of the better episodes of the entire series.

wsippel

Banned
I'll never understand peoples fascination with depressing shit in fiction. If I want to feel bad, I watch the news. Luckily, I gave up on Fate/Zero roughly halfway in, once it became obvious that this won't end well. Why do visual novel studios (Type-Moon, âge, 0verflow...) seem to enjoy kicking their audience in the balls? And why does the audience enjoy it? Masochism?

Narag

Remember, Tsukihime: Lunar Legend is always waiting!

AnimeGAF told me this doesn't exist. You shouldn't create fake wikipedia pages for the sake of a prank.

I'll never understand peoples fascination with depressing shit in fiction. If I want to feel bad, I watch the news. Luckily, I gave up on Fate/Zero roughly halfway in, once it became obvious that this won't end well. Why do visual novel studios (Type-Moon, âge, 0verflow...) seem to enjoy kicking their audience in the balls? And why does the audience enjoy it? Masochism?

Obstacles need to be overcome for characters to grow. Now if you mean particularly gratuitous stuff for the sake of shock value, I can understand.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Oh my gosh. Everyone needs to stop exaggerating. It's not a horrible episode AT ALL. In fact, it's one of the better episodes of the entire series.

I didn't say it was horrible, I said it was the worst episode, which isn't an exaggeration at all.

And no, there aren't any other episodes in the series worse than it.

kayos90

Uh... I don't know how you look at it but that's now how I look at it at all. I have an appreciation of narratives that focus on deep character development, a plot that fascinates me, and a premise that grips me. All of these things are in F/Z. It's not a matter of it being depressing or not and wanting to torture myself. I appreciate what Fate/Zero does and simply enjoy it.

I didn't say it was horrible, I said it was the worst episode, which isn't an exaggeration at all.

And no, there aren't any other episodes in the series worse than it.

I disagree.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

I myself generally don't like depressing stuff either, but in Fate/Zero's case, there's a lot to appreciate in it. Although the characters themselves may be suffering, it's not intended for the audience to be depressed; or at least not in the way that, say, Ano Hana is intended. A well crafted tale like Fate/Zero, with interesting characters, great interactions, a well built plot, and so on, is far more than just a story made to depress you. Of course, it has it's flaws, but they aren't equal to the good stuff in it.

/XX/

Wasn't it the title of episode 22?
Yes but most people who aren't familiar with the Fateverse won't know that Angra Mainyu is All the Evil in the World.
Oh shit, you are right! I was already searching for alternative titles for the episode because the only translation I saw for that episode title was 'All the Evil in the World'... I need to start informing me more about this franchise universe now that this series has ended.

But why didn't they leave one or the other on the official translation for the streamed episodes? It only made the reference from the later ones more confusing...

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Oh shit, you are right! I was already searching for alternative titles for the episode because the only translation I saw for that episode title was 'All the Evil in the World'... I need to start informing me more about this franchise universe now that this series has ended.

But why didn't they leave one or the other on the official translation for the streamed episodes? It only made the reference from the later ones more confusing...

Really, practically everything else in the fate/ universe isn't worth your time.
apart from Lunar Legend >.>

No, I haven't watched Lunar legend either

kayos90

I don't know. I think they didn't really know what to do with it. I mean... they make one reference in the episode that All the Evil in the World WAS Angra Mainyu but it was just once.

Mouretsu Pirates 25
tumblr_m62zv1kAZH1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Ninja Space Pirates! They could continue for another season, well I hope.
The plot point brought up with the letter of marque pirate or being a real pirate could be a whole season and get us out of the sea of morningstar and into other seas in space. Oh and twin Kane McDougals was surprising and nice, lol, the one with his hair flip is my favorite one.

I do wish more than one episode would be dedicated to the final battle.

Jex

We saw the end of the subtlety in which the staff handled Kirei's character some episodes ago, so I was thinking that this is kind of a recompense to his ways, going all out showing it. Complete victory for him!

And it was most enjoyable!

survivor

Banned
Bakemonogatari 11

This OP. Come on Shaft, there are kids watching, don't go all out.

Hanekawa is still a boring terrible megane character, but the few minutes of her other persona made me have hope that this arc will be good.

Jex

Really, all the worst parts of the Fate/Zero finale where all the moments that shouted THIS IS A PREQUEL TO ANOTHER WORK. When they appeared I could literally hear them clang into the story in a way that was must unfortunate.

/XX/

Really, practically everything else in the fate/ universe isn't worth your time.
Don't worry! I'm not that unconscious, I'll only be checking the 'TYPE-MOON Wiki' or things like that...

apart from Lunar Legend >.>
... or maybe not! Hmmm, intriguing.

I don't know. I think they didn't really know what to do with it. I mean... they make one reference in the episode that All the Evil in the World WAS Angra Mainyu but it was just once.
Apart from maybe additional references/explanations on the extended version of the episodes, I think they basically want people to check their other related material to expand more on the 'mythos' of that universe. It is a conclusive work on its own but sometimes it also feels like what it really is, an 'addendum'.

And it was most enjoyable!
Indeed it was, my friend... indeed it was.

Narag

Fate/Stay Night 1

Oh lord.

If I watched this episode in a vacuum, I think it'd infuriate me to no end. Nothing is explained, shit just happens, and it's not very interesting. After watching Fate/Zero though, I assume I'm liking it more than it deserves as I have answers going into this such as [F/Z spoilers]
seeing locales like the compound Kiritusgu was operating from or the destroyed parts of Fuyuki City being rebuilt, having an idea of why Rin is the way she is rather than just a bitch, witnessing Kirei's fabulous introduction at the beginning of the episode, but most importantly, the Kiritsugu/Shirou flashback scenes. Without knowledge of Kiritsugu's past it'd be just annonying flashbacks to fill in the gaps of the story. It never really transcends this but again, after F/Z, it's really nice to see a bit of his redemption. His advice to Shirou about saving one person means sacrificing another carries some real weight after F/Z 24

duckroll

Really, all the worst parts of the Fate/Zero finale where all the moments that shouted THIS IS A PREQUEL TO ANOTHER WORK. When they appeared I could literally hear them clang into the story in a way that was must unfortunate.

I dunno, I think it handled it pretty well all things considered. There was never a moment where it felt like it was promoting something else, instead it felt like a natural hint that another generation would continue on sometime in the future.

Jex

Bakemonogatari 11

This OP. Come on Shaft, there are kids watching, don't go all out.

Hanekawa is still a boring terrible megane character, but the few minutes of her other persona made me have hope that this arc will be good.

Careful, with talk like that you could end up summoning him.

duckroll

Those F/SN images look really, really bad. Any minor curious desire I might have had to check out the TV series again is completely gone now. :)

Jex

I dunno, I think it handled it pretty well all things considered. There was never a moment where it felt like it was promoting something else, instead it felt like a natural hint that another generation would continue on sometime in the future.

Well, beyond a few completely unexplained plot elements one particular thing was
Aoi just appearing out of nowhere. I guess they weren't allowed to kill her completely because she's in later material but it just felt like a cop-out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom