• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Only 7 hours remain before the Fate/Zero finale starts streaming!

Let's look back on on some happier times, when both Masters and Servants could celebrate in unison!

ilHin8PIwnlrY.jpg
iybK86fKTjZFz.jpg

ibxysDAiY13TYf.jpg
iWlAVHQEvvG2x.jpg

All these images are amazing, especially when you start paying attention to small details in the backdrop of the scene.

Jex

[Dusk Maiden of Amnesia] - 7: Please Stay to the End

Well, that was entirely expected but still pretty good.

Once again, SHAFT are being shamed right here. The only SHAFT show that's as Shaft-y as this is Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. The rest of them only go half-way to towards having extremely stylish and symbolic visuals.

In Dusk Maiden nearly every single shot in every single episode is a 'crazy SHAFT visual'.

cajunator

Banned
[Dusk Maiden of Amnesia] - 7: Please Stay to the End

Well, that was entirely expected but still pretty good.

Once again, SHAFT are being shamed right here. The only SHAFT show that's as Shaft-y as this is Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. The rest of them only go half-way to towards having extremely stylish and symbolic visuals.

In Dusk Maiden nearly every single shot in every single episode is a 'crazy SHAFT visual'.

I hope every studio gets Shafted.

Kazzy

My last blind buy was H.S.O.T.D. on blu-ray, yep. It was my own fault for bowing to the hive-mind of twitter.

Luckily it only cost £10.

wonzo

Banned
I only hope Penguin-san gets out of the friendcustomer-zone.
He's just gotta be at S.Rank 3 with Miss Penko given he not only got his drivers license, but even went through a NTR mini-arc involving a turtle! And that's not even factoring in all the SERVICE COUPONS he's been getting showered with lately!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He's just gotta be at S.Rank 3 with Miss Penko given he not only got his drivers license, but even went through a NTR mini-arc involving a turtle! And that's not even factoring in all the SERVICE COUPONS he's been getting showered with lately!
Those coupons are just another way of saying "it's not you, it's me" though!

Jex

[Dusk Maiden of Amnesia] - 8

I am not really sure why this romance/mystery show disguised itself as a dumb fanservice show. Was it just trying to appeal to a certain demographic?

wonzo

Banned
The iDORU 26

imas26.gif

Easily one of the best episodes of the series. Now all they need to do is turn those movie trailers into OVA's or something as that shit would totally own.

Those coupons are just another way of saying "it's not you, it's me" though!
bu bu but the handshakes :(

Jex

The iDORU 26

imas26.gif

Easily one of the best episodes of the series. Now all they need to do is turn those movie trailers into OVA's or something as that shit would totally own.

Why would they do that? It would be like KyoAni turning their hand to anything outside of the slice of life/cute girls field.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Suite Precure 12

This was one of the better episodes so far, good animation and good writing.
Though, I really don't think Cure Muse will be Siren, simply because everyone in the show thinks she will be...

Bass riding the bicycle was the best thing any of the trio have done so far.

Kazzy

I wish I had your willpower. Fate/Zero seems like a show that would benefit greatly from marathoning.

More sheer luck than anything, I only really started watching anything of substance about midway through the season. And considering the love it's getting in here, I am quite happy to sit it out until the end, if only to see if it somehow gets screwed up.
Joking.

I've finally had time to watch something this week, and with that it was time to continue with K-ON!:

K-ON! 9

Like I’ve said a couple of times already, I instantly have an affinity for a character that acts as an avatar for the audience, and just like Sawako before her (you know, before she entered full-on creeper mode), Azusa is now filling that role.

I can see why some don’t initially warm to Azusa, it’s easy to pick her out as being overly similar to Mio, but I already appreciate her introduction as it’s coinciding with a hefty chunk of character development. If anything, she is acting as the surrogate straight-man of the group, allowing for the others to be have their personalities explored. A cat among the pigeons, so to speak. I approve.

I do like that occasionally, the absurdness of just how lazy the Light music club is gets highlighted, and through the eyes of Azusa it almost comes across as a parody.

Summary: The power of friendship > all.

And Is Azusa developing into the new protagonist?

K-ON! 10

Another beach-episode, already?

I do appreciate that the repeating of earlier events allows for nice little nods to certain details, like Ritsu and Yui devolving their original beach trip into a shipwrecked scenario.
I wouldn’t say that I disliked Mio previously, but she was pretty one-note in how she has been portrayed, although the same be said of everyone bar Yui, probably. Which is why I welcome the little back and forth’s between Mio and Ritsu, and their bubbling resentment about their roles in the group.

My favourite scene was probably Yui practising the guitar alone, it wasn’t really needed but it helps to ground the whole thing. I always get the impression that the progression of characters in shows such as these often come off as feeling artificial, but even with the idiot-savant aspect Yui has to her character, I don’t feel as though I have to suspend my disbelief to buy into it. I mean, Azusa pretty much confirms that they are still a rag-tag collective. That is the aspect of the show that has impressed me, as it would have been so easy for them to be depicted as an amazing band after their first successful concerts.

Like many good shows, it’s really about nothing, but quite a lot happens at the same time. It really does creep up on you.

K-ON! 11

Huh, drama, I was not expecting this! I was pretty taken aback by the fact that the episode quite quickly set its sights on telling the story from Ritsu’s perspective. It looks like all those little cuts in the previous episodes were leading up to something all along. It was nice, as it served to show that their relationship isn’t entirely one-sided, what with Mio being the butt-monkey of the group for the most part. It was surprising to see Ritsu as being portrayed as probably the weaker one in this instance, practically crumbling the moment it looks as though her friendship with Mio was becoming strained. Although that said, I can’t imagine that Mio would even attempt to come out of her shell, where it not for the help (torment?) of Ritsu. I’m curious to see if they poke at their precarious dynamic in the future.

The little details in the background were a nice touch, the various lone shots of the instruments in the music store specifically.

A really good run of episodes, now it’s time for the spotlight to shine on Mugi, right? I pretty much like the entire cast at this point, well, expect Sawako.

Jex

[Dusk Maiden of Amnesia] - 9

This episode had a few issues.

Firstly, unlike nearly every episode in the series, it used a fairly naturalistic style to depict all the events that took place. Oddly enough, that's actually jarring once you get used to the show looking like a SHAFT production. To stay visually consistent with the series as a whole it needed to have been more stylized. It's all worth nothing that, without this shows heavy stylization other weaknesses in the story become more apparent.

The events that took place felt unnecessary drawn out. As a member of the audience I was aware of what the story was doing and where we going to go next but the show refused to move to that point swiftly, instead it seemed more concerned with characters running around fruitlessly which felt like a way to pad out the story.

Finally, I am not entirely sure why they were running. Teiichi said that we has going to talk to the shadow, but then he spent all his time running away. This seems especially odd when,
by confronting the shadow,
he can presumably get access to the memories and information that he's been looking for since the start of the show.

duckroll

Only 4 hours left between us and the conclusion of Fate/Zero!

While we're waiting, let's cherish the memories of the days when everyone could just happily enjoy meals together like proper families should... I'm getting fucking hungry.

iAUyie2FyplbN.jpg

ibqoUFLVXfuexl.jpg

i7gndYTjrX1GN.jpg

Jex

[Dusk Maiden of Amnesia] - 10

Well, those were some very expected developments, but they weren't badly handled. Except when they occasionally interrupted the proceedings to bring you some fanservice. That felt very out of place and forced - tonally it didn't fit at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom