• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

15,397 - Gintama Season 1
15,171 - Gintama Season 2
15,282 - Gintama Season 3
12,720 - Gintama Season 4
12,748 - Gintama'

It's a big cash cow for Sunrise.

That's pretty interesting. I wonder why people collect it, presumably the fujoshi market or the fact that comedy has good rewatch value.

Kagami

Kokoro Connect 1 (A part)
NicoNico advance live stream (A-part only) just ended.
They're doing a live performance of the opening song now.

Wow this seems pretty cool.
Characters are fun, somewhat real-ish tone (has some comedic character interaction but it's not a wacky crazy thing), animation is expressive.
The body-swapping thing seems to be not a permanent state but rather something that switches back and forth (at least at this point). Looks like it's going to explore the ramifications of this happening to them.
Hopefully they can keep up the quality.

Iori's beauty mark, which moves when she talks, bugged me a little because from the front their noses are also drawn as dots, so it gave me this odd feeling of her nose looking like a second dot on her face rather than representing her nose.
img_iori.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I never actually watched Lost, but I did watch Alias for a few seasons. I liked it for quite a while, but ended up dropping it somewhere in the third season or so, when there was that timeskip and the already crazy plot got even more insane... and after that experience, I couldn't quite get myself to watch Lost.
Other than the RAMBALDI DEVICE and the pseudo-ARG in the first season, I don't really remember anything about Alias.

I mention this in my post, I think... but I assume you mean how Western stuff set in an Asian setting will almost always randomly mix together ninjas, samurai, and Chinese kung fu warriors? That is true, agreed, but is even Japan entirely innocent of doing that? That would be where the "at least they know it's wrong" part would come into play though, maybe lessening the impact for their stuff.

But really, Japan makes a LOT more fantasy stuff than the West does stuff set in ancient Asian settings. It's not even remotely close.
Well, I suppose my frame of reference here is Avatar/Korra when it comes to drawing from random sources in Western fantasy.

You'd have to be trying really, REALLY hard to avoid fantasy stuff, then, because they're one of the most common kinds of anime and manga there are, outside of stuff set in high schools... but as for those two, FMA is sort of fantasy, though it isn't at all a traditional one so I'd probably call it borderline, but Brave 10 isn't traditional fantasy, of course; it's an ancient Japanese fantasy series, but Fantasy in general mostly refers to European-style faux-medieval stuff.
I just don't watch fantasy shows really. I suppose I've seen a couple, but they didn't really have anything that stood out to me other than sharing the same Mark Twain "contemporary dude ends up in fantasy magic land" premise.

I'd say that even though she says htat's why she beats her, as you suggest, it's more about her experience mostly playing online, so she doesn't notice that real-world element; that is, it's her "power" coming into play, as you suggest, not necessarily because it didn't work because she's immune to powers or something. I mean, Saki certainly beats her consistently in their practices...
Even the best player isn't immune to hax after all!

On that note Angels in the Outfield was clearly ridiculous, but it was a fun, obviously not "real-world" ridiculous, so it was okay. I liked that movie as a kid.
That and Rookie of the Year are the two baseball movies I remember. I think I was too young when I watched Field of Dreams, because I can't remember anything about it other than that famous line.

I doubt there's any possible decent explanation for something like that, unfortunately. :(
The real world setting worked because they could make smart ass cultural references and not be out of place. Like making a MacGyver or Star Trek reference - or even having the dude who plays Homer guest star on the show and then make a Simpsons reference.

I mean, in most other science fiction, people don't make cultural references because people really don't want to think about what kind of music people in the 27th century enjoy or if Big Bang Theory is still running in its 347th season on Space-CBS, so it was refreshing to see a science fiction world that was essentially as rich as the real world.

Of course, I'm sure they also didn't think that the US would be embroiled in a decade long war when they first made the show. :p
I'm sure being dependant on the USAF for their guns and technical expertise didn't help either, since all of their scripts were vetted by the military. The closest the franchise gets to referencing real events is when you find out that Shephard is an Afghan war vet during Atlantis' run.

That, yeah... though a not insanely stupid older princess was really needed too. :( Seriously, Liliana, really?
It should have just been about racing. Funny enough though, it has more piracy than Space Pirates. :p

Fate/Zero 20:

Gen Urobuchi and ufotable emotionally punching me in the gut over and over again.

(F/SN spoilers)
Knowing what Ilya's ultimate fate is destined to be, since she is a homunculus after all like Irisviel, only made me really sad when she was telling Kiritsugu to show Ilya the outside world she never had a chance to see. We all know what became of Ilya in F/SN, after all.

I will say this about Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA, as an alternate universe story and the only one where the Holy Grail War never occurred, it is the only timeline where Ilya THIS IS A HUGE FUCKING SPOILER FOR F/SN I FUCKING WARNED YOU MOTHERFUCKER
is not destined to die once the mana inside of her is spent.
. That alone justifies the existence of this manga and upcoming anime, because it's the only universe where Ilya
has a happy ending.

Makoto

Characters are fun, somewhat real-ish tone (has some comedic character interaction but it's not a wacky crazy thing), animation is expressive.
The body-swapping thing seems to be not a permanent state but rather something that switches back and forth (at least at this point). Looks like it's going to explore the ramifications this happening to them.

Iori's beauty mark, which moves when she talks, bugged me a little because from the front their noses are also drawn as dots, so it gave me this odd feeling of her nose looking like a second dot on her face rather than representing her nose.
http://www.kokoro-connect.com/images/character/img_iori.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Good, good.

Soon the [s]Kinect[/s] Connect will be in our hands and its body-swapping juices will be enjoyed by all.

I have no idea what the actual reason for it is, it's just something that you'll notice if you watch enough anime. Presumably it's easier not to draw them, but I assume there's some other reason.
Usually would be just looked-over to save time and hand-cramps, but I wonder if there are other reasons too.

Probably just the Japanese and their love for Ken Doll Anatomy™. Perfection above all else!

Narag

The Laws of the Sun

I was promised some sort of Xenu-level sort of indoctrination but I didn't see any of that. Instead I was privy to a well animated and well told tale about the sins of humanity and how we might best overcome them. It's a great cautionary tale and an interesting take on history itself. While this interpretation did have some fantastical elements, I can't help but feel there's a grain of truth in there that's worth exploring. I'd recommend this to anyone but only if they took time to explore some of the other movies on this subject matter as they build on one another and this particular one might be a little too deep for someone new to these ideas. I think I'm going to order some of Ryuho Okawa's books and see if I can't achieve some sort of better understanding of all this.

It looks like a speck of dirt on my monitor; I want to rub it off. It's a nice idea as a distinguishing feature, but I don't think it comes off well.

The body-swapping thing seems to be not a permanent state but rather something that switches back and forth (at least at this point). Looks like it's going to explore the ramifications this happening to them.

img_iori.jpg

Welp, I gotta watch this now.

Ultimadrago

The Laws of the Sun

Give up all your Earthly pleasures and sit quietly under a tree while female dancers shake their rumps in your face.

This is the beginning of true enlightenment.,

wonzo

Banned
The Laws of the Sun

lawsofthesun.jpg
lawsofthesuna.jpg

One must avoid the sins of solar power and technology and find the true path to enlightenment through the power of love. Only then will the Eternal Buddha pop his boner of enlightenment and spread the truth throughout the dark pits of hell. It is the way of Buddha-nature.

Branduil

Fate/Zero 25

Kotomine has ascended to true magnificent bastard status. Naked Gilgamesh just looked off. It looked like his head was photoshopped onto a naked body.

That was pretty good. Maybe there will be a sequel some day.

Hunter x Hunter R 36

Same quality animation as last week. There was a real sense of weight and speed behind each punch and it was awesome. Gon vs Hisoka has always been one of my favorite fights and it's great to see it again, now better than ever.

Looks like there's hope for this adaptation after all.

Fate/Zero 25

That was pretty good. Maybe there will be a sequel some day.

The sequel will air later this year and star Ilya. Believe.

Fate/Zero 21:

I think it's a testament to how effectively we are led to hate the world of Mages and the soulless abominations who populate it scheming and stabbing each others' backs that at the end of this episode, I didn't feel a thing. It was a completely different feeling from the end of the last episode where I felt like I had gotten punched in the stomach. The way the show invests you emotionally in some characters while turning you away from others is just one of the things which demonstrates mastery of storytelling, both from Urobuchi's original novel and then from this anime adaptation.

The body-swapping thing seems to be not a permanent state but rather something that switches back and forth (at least at this point). Looks like it's going to explore the ramifications of this happening to them.

img_iori.jpg
I really liked Sora no Woto's character design and how they were animated so this is a sure-watch for me. It had this obvious KyoAni vibe but something about the animation made them look more real.

img_iori.jpg
Oh right, that, I remember this now. I read the two chapters of the manga that were translated and liked them, but the translation didn't continue. I'm definitely looking forward to this.

Articalys

(after reading the last chapters and postface in the original novel:)

We really aren't going to get a show with the detail, class, writing, and scale of Fate/Zero ever again, are we.

Fate/Zero 22:

Okay, so they required a total of 3 episodes to set up the big finale. I guess this is a good place for me to stop for the night and get ready for a bunch of shit to get real.

The amount of foreshadowing they have given Ilya is moderately admirable and probably reflects how popular her character got after the original release of F/SN. I guess that should have been obvious from the fact that she got her own spinoff manga which required an alternate universe
since she shares the same fate that Irisviel faced as an Einzbern homunculus.

We really aren't going to get a show with the detail, class, writing, and scale of Fate/Zero ever again, are we.

There's still plenty of Nasuverse stuff they can (re)adapt! Starting with Fate/Stay Night! If they wanted to sell a lot more $400 Blu-ray boxes, they could greenlight a new adaptation with 3 seasons of 26 episodes each covering all 3 original routes in sequence! That would keep ufotable busy until 2015 or so!

I really wonder what the budget for F/Z was. They sold a lot of $400 Blu-ray boxes and they are going to sell a lot more soon but I imagine the expense poured into this show was pretty significant compared to most animes these days.

Soma

(after reading the last chapters and postface in the original novel:)

Y'know despite not fully explaining certain details and having some weird pacing in the last few episodes (I dunno the BDs miiiight fix some of those issues but I won't hold my breath), I definitely think ufotable did an amazing job adapting the LN into an animated series. It's not a perfect show but after some time letting it all sink in, it may very well become one of my top favorite anime.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The Laws of the Sun

I was promised some sort of Xenu-level sort of indoctrination but I didn't see any of that. Instead I was privy to a well animated and well told tale about the sins of humanity and how we might best overcome them. It's a great cautionary tale and an interesting take on history itself. While this interpretation did have some fantastical elements, I can't help but feel there's a grain of truth in there that's worth exploring. I'd recommend this to anyone but only if they took time to explore some of the other movies on this subject matter as they build on one another and this particular one might be a little too deep for someone new to these ideas. I think I'm going to order some of Ryuho Okawa's books and see if I can't achieve some sort of better understanding of all this.
You're good.

Space Bros 13

Mutta should have used an air calculator. Abacuses are a bitch to work when running (so are calculators, but less so).

Show is still inspirational. Dem speeches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom