• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Fate/Stay Night 20

ajt5I.gif
What's happened to you, King Arthur-sama?

It almost makes you wonder why you'd even bother writing anything really good that ended up tying in to that trash.

Jex

Fate/Stay Night 21

Guess who shows up?
WCpdu.gif

Linking the image as I'd rather be safe than sorry. Those appearances are a high point for me when watching this and made for nice surprises.
Not even a lesser design can impede the King of Heroes' douchey swagger! Watching him work Shirou & Saber was fuckawesome.
Then comes the second half with, yup, you guessed it: Saber in the kitchen.

Such an amazing start and finish but that middle sequence. Ugh.
I have to ask...does Saber actually cook and if so, do they use that awful 'she's a girl but she's terrible at cooking cliche' ?

I have to ask...does Saber actually cook and if so, do they use that awful 'she's a girl but she's terrible at cooking cliche' ?

No, she gets the food obsessed over-eater despite being a small girl trait. Shirou's the obsessive cooker that wants to be a house wife.

No, she gets the food obsessed over-eater despite being a small girl trait. Shirou's the obsessive cooker that wants to be a house wife.

What's funny is that Shirou wants to be Sakura's waifu, but Sakura wants to be Shirou's waifu. They can't both be the waifu in the relationship!

Is it like, symbolic at least?

Symbolic of how much you hate yourself while you're watching it, maybe. It's not symbolic of
sex
, that's for sure. Watching it only made me laugh because I knew it was supposed to be replacement for a
sex scene
going into the anime.

Jex

Fate/zero 24-25 (FINALE)

I'm really excited about what the director has in store for us next. As this and wandering son has managed to make him a name to look-out for!

Well, considering that the two series he has under his belt are completely different I really have no idea what he's going to do next. He's displayed an ability to direct quite a range of content.

Panty & Stocking 7-13 (end)

Really baffling anime really. Of the 13 episodes with usual halves I can only think of two halves that actually had much of my interest while the others were boring dull or just forgettable. Panty and even Stocking all failed to develop beyond their terrible initial presentations and actually got worst over time. They were so selfish and really lacked any of the friendship type stuff that characters that I like embrace. Actually they lacked any qualities that I even wanted. Perhaps that was the reason why Brief was involved and consistently showed up, even his presence typically brightened things up and his actual sensible head and even empowering speech helped to keep things bearable to a certain extent. Really disappointed in how the writers handled him just so Panty and Stocking could get all the credit.

The ending was awful as was the plot
Random women from the sky to stomp on stuff after revirginity was lost :/
. The only real highlight of the anime was the music. The dub had some witty lines though really made Panty quite crude and disgusting as well as Stocking, and so much sex focus :/ Best part
Brief when his hair went back, mindblown

2 / 10, essentially the worst thing Ive ever experienced containing every negative aspect that I hate in my anime.

1stStrike

Banned
Yep. I definitely fell in love with this one. I really enjoyed the character interactions throughout, and I think they really nailed the otaku culture spot on. There were, of course, the parts that were anime'd, but they didn't go overboard.

Now I guess I need to read the manga. Is it worth starting at the beginning or does the anime follow the manga pretty closely?

Jex

Man, reading this thread in a crowded train is a bad idea. I can't imagine the person is thinking when they look over my shoulder and see a scantily clad Horizon figurine especially with that enormous drill hair.

"That hair doesn't seem particularly practical. It would take hours to wash". At least, that's my first thought.

It's probably worrying that I don't think about the incredibly tacky swimsuit.

"That hair doesn't seem particularly practical. It would take hours to wash". At least, that's my first thought.

It's probably worrying that I don't think about the incredibly tacky swimsuit.

I think we're past the point of trying to emulate a normal's reaction to stuff like this.

Uchip

Banned
Panty & Stocking 7-13 (end)

Really baffling anime really. Of the 13 episodes with usual halves I can only think of two halves that actually had much of my interest while the others were boring dull or just forgettable. Panty and even Stocking all failed to develop beyond their terrible initial presentations and actually got worst over time. They were so selfish and really lacked any of the friendship type stuff that characters that I like embrace. Actually they lacked any qualities that I even wanted. Perhaps that was the reason why Brief was involved and consistently showed up, even his presence typically brightened things up and his actual sensible head and even empowering speech helped to keep things bearable to a certain extent. Really disappointed in how the writers handled him just so Panty and Stocking could get all the credit.

The ending was awful as was the plot
Random women from the sky to stomp on stuff after revirginity was lost :/
. The only real highlight of the anime was the music. The dub had some witty lines though really made Panty quite crude and disgusting as well as Stocking, and so much sex focus :/ Best part
Brief when his hair went back, mindblown

2 / 10, essentially the worst thing Ive ever experienced containing every negative aspect that I hate in my anime.

out of curiosity, what would you rate Fairy Tail

Jex

Man, I don't know if I'm just too used to Japanese voices or if English voice actors are really that bad. Any time I start up an anime and it defaults to English dubs I'm just like, AHHHHHHHHHHH and change it to Japanese right away.

These days most English dubs aren't actively bad in a Dark Cat kind of way. They're just kind of...bland.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I never did understand all of the gluttonous Saber fanart I've seen, thought some of it was still kind of funny.

The real reason
Lancelot
went mad: he was forced by a wizard to watch Fate/Stay Night.

I wonder what trait
Servants
receive when the
summoning incantation
has "and be imbued with bad harem anime" inserted at the end.

Jex

Where is the hater brigade to totally shit on the movies?! lol

I think they're fine too. People generally have more problems with the first movie because it's all theme and only a little plot. I thought both were nice, thematic continuations and conclusions to the show.

That's just because I was asleep! Have I mentioned how the movie looked like it had the budget of three tv episodes yet? Because it looked like arse.

1stStrike

Banned
These days most English dubs aren't actively bad in a Dark Cat kind of way. They're just kind of...bland.

Agreed. There's no heart or soul in most dubs.

Well, from what I understand companies have found that anime with dubs sell better, or so they claim.

A lot of native English speakers can't be bothered to read subtitles, or have difficulty doing so. Or they're just lazy. And so they gravitate towards English dubs. I've seen it all over the place for years and it always boggled me how people could prefer dubs over the superior Japanese version. I think that I can probably count the number of anime that have better English dubs than Japanese on one hand.

Jex

The Spice and Wolf dub is regarded as a good dub. From what I've seen of the first three episodes, it is. Shame the show itself is boring.

Yeah but I really don't trust the anime community when it comes to dubs. They even claim that FLCL has a good dub, after all.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Agreed. There's no heart or soul in most dubs.

Revisiting Jexhius' mention of Dark Cat, that particular work has enough heart and soul in its dub to compensate for the lack thereof in all future anime dubs. I strongly recommend watching it.

Fairy Tail is easily a 10 / 10 both the manga and the anime.

I don't really have anything to say in response to this; I just want to draw attention to it.

Welcome to the past.

Not every anime that takes place in an undeveloped agrarian setting looks actively miserable!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yep. I definitely fell in love with this one. I really enjoyed the character interactions throughout, and I think they really nailed the otaku culture spot on. There were, of course, the parts that were anime'd, but they didn't go overboard.

Now I guess I need to read the manga. Is it worth starting at the beginning or does the anime follow the manga pretty closely?
Yeah, the last couple of volumes of the manga basically continue off after
dude gets the job. It's mostly about him hooking up with Ogiue at that point
. Then Genshiken: TNG goes into stupid territory. lol

That's just because I was asleep! Have I mentioned how the movie looked like it had the budget of three tv episodes yet? Because it looked like arse.
Writing > .... whatever. lol

Jex

[PSGM] - 14

Luna is continually useless. Thank god that all the sailors know how to cartwheel or they'd really be in trouble.

The most important thing is how fabulous the Dark Moon Generals are.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Things were much worse before we could watch anime all day.

If I were born twenty years earlier, I would probably have these things called a "job" and a "wife" and "children" and "fulfillment", so thank God for the internet. I would have never been able to realize my full potential without it.

Jex

Revisiting Jexhius' mention of Dark Cat, that particular work has enough heart and soul in its dub to compensate for the lack thereof in all future anime dubs. I strongly recommend watching it.
Beyond stuff like Dark Cat there is something to be said for old dubs that are far more passionate than they are accurate. Sometimes it's better to stray a little bit from the original script. Well, some of the old dubs also had like, actors in them so that's also cheating I suppose.

Jex

A lot of native English speakers can't be bothered to read subtitles, or have difficulty doing so. Or they're just lazy. And so they gravitate towards English dubs. I've seen it all over the place for years and it always boggled me how people could prefer dubs over the superior Japanese version. I think that I can probably count the number of anime that have better English dubs than Japanese on one hand.

Well, another aspect of watching subtitles is that they always draw your eye to a place that the original director wasn't intending you to look. They always interrupt the normal viewing of a program, so in that sense a good dub is ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom