• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reknoc

TBH as much as I love Fate/Zero, I've felt the OST to be lacking in S1. S2 seems to hit all the right notes for me though

Hm I don't really remember S1's music all that much, though I do remember really liking the music near the end of episode 1 (around the time everyone was summoning).

7Th

Those are horribly amateurish and lifeless, but I still might try Kokoro Connect as a secret shame series because of the body-swap premise.

Horiguchi isn't involved in the Kokoro Connect adaptation; the designs for the animation are by Toshifumi Akai, animation character designer for Sora no Woto.

Character design aside, I like Horiguchi's artwork, especially her coloring. It doesn't really show in anime though. Honestly, it reminds me of Sora no Woto and Kishida Mel. I don't think anyone can look at the anime and say that it's a good representation of Kishida Mel's artwork.

Horiguchi is hundreds of times better than Mel, though.

Dresden

Character design aside, I like Horiguchi's artwork, especially her coloring. It doesn't really show in anime though. Honestly, it reminds me of Sora no Woto and Kishida Mel. I don't think anyone can look at the anime and say that it's a good representation of Kishida Mel's artwork.
That was a good thing; Kishida is horrible.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Kanamemo 1

First episode was pretty much equal parts :cajun and yuri~.

and it was actual yuri, no goggles required!

Yeah, that's pretty much why I'm hating quite a lot on the anime. I do want to read the manga someday as it does sound decently done.

Found the omake, the fan letter ask for "Less action scenes, no more serious scenes, don't make Tsukune stronger and more moe." and in one of the 4-Komas there's Ruby cosplaying as Holo and Mizore as Yuki.

The Tower of Druaga ~the Aegis of Uruk~ 01 A
I1TlQ.jpg
So starting a new show time! Well at least this one is rewatching the first episode and actually finishing it.
So yeah, this was basically a parody episode making fun of every silly RPG trope out there, from death flags, tentacle monsters, death of somebody to summon the strength to beat the enemy. It was fun, didn't take itself seriously whatsoever. The final attack was basically throwing everyone who's supporting the hero in one final blast which was awesome.
The twist at the end does leave me interested at where this show will go. I mean I know it probably won't go back towards this since they did used every trope they could find but it could go into a decent fantasy RPG show or something terrible.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't pretend to be a well-informed art critic, but regardless of the person responsible for the anime adaptation designs, Kokoro Connect's characters just look really bottom-of-the-barrel to me:

8ATQi.jpg

I don't hold out much hope that it's going to do anything interesting with the premise.

Articalys

One of the songs that Mai Aizawa sung at Fanime, Kimi ni Todoke (no relation to the series), is on iTunes, and if you know what's good for you, you'll buy it like I just did. It's a good song.

Plus, the cover art's from the Nichijou mangaka. That's cool, right?

GSOT3.jpg

Night on the Galactic Railroad

One of the best static-shot films I've yet seen (though the animation's there in places—real subdued for this TAC production). Pretty much the ultimate summary of Kenji Miyazawa's modern Buddhism, subversively told through Giovanni's dreams on the Galactic Railroad, supplemented by Christian imagery and a lot of Esperanto. This isn't a film worth any screenies: the magic comes from how balanced and meticulous the pacing is, and how every aphoristic segment transfers energy from one to another, coming and going. Everything just about added up: Giovanni's gradual acceptance of friendship and compassion with Campanella; the glorious symbology present throughout the film, most notable at the ending climax itself; even that unsettling soundtrack from Haruomi Hosono, with its synthesized instruments, strange effects, and neutral themes.

Above all, though: it's a genuinely-sad film, mainly because of
Campanella's sacrifice.
I predicted it the moment he parted from the Galactic Railroad, but the final scenes with Giovanni and the father were so well-directed. How the village itself became a symbolic exercise in Japanese expressionism and Giovanni's journey, rushing down to the Black River—it was subtle, but it was effective nonetheless. What started out as a typical story of a timid, unassuming young lad burdened by familial issues, and by the teasing and mockery of his fellow students, just turned into one of the more tripped-out experiences in anime history. From compass-direction crucifixes to the sinking of the Titanic and its human occupants, I was always surprised to some degree. And though I honestly think there could have been a lot more to the film (and, really, to Miyazawa's naive philosophy, as befitting of the Japanese as it is), there aren't any apparent flaws to speak of. In its own beautiful way, the film is as much of a tiny, twinkling pearl as the story's characters and life-lessons happen to be.

Yes: it was full of stars. My god, it's full of stars. You know what else is full of stars? Gauche the Cellist, next on the backlog for me.

The Tower of Druaga ~the Aegis of Uruk~ 01 A

So starting a new show time! Well at least this one is rewatching the first episode and actually finishing it.
So yeah, this was basically a parody episode making fun of every silly RPG trope out there, from death flags, tentacle monsters, death of somebody to summon the strength to beat the enemy. It was fun, didn't take itself seriously whatsoever. The final attack was basically throwing everyone who's supporting the hero in one final blast which was awesome.
The twist at the end does leave me interested at where this show will go. I mean I know it probably won't go back towards this since they did used every trope they could find but it could go into a decent fantasy RPG show or something terrible.

Will it?Or not? ;)

survivor

Banned
Kimi ni Todoke 6

I forgot I was watching this anime. With all the fun anime this season, I never had time for it.

So Sawako doesn't like them but she loves them. Makes such a huge difference that was totally worth the 2 episodes of a silly misunderstanding. I don't even remember the cause of the misunderstanding anymore and I don't think anyone else in the anime does cause I'm sure something similar will happen again.

I also noticed characters in this anime cry a lot

"You are my friends"
Starts crying

"I love you guys"
Starts crying

"Sawako can't hate us"
Starts crying

7Th

I don't pretend to be a well-informed art critic, but regardless of the person responsible for the anime adaptation designs, Kokoro Connect's characters just look really bottom-of-the-barrel to me:

8ATQi.jpg

I don't hold out much hope that it's going to do anything interesting with the premise.

It's definitely not worse than Smile Precure's hair-styles.

Ultimadrago

I was waiting until I got home so I could upload this picture just to troll you.

cXS7E.jpg

By the way, she was actually cosplaying in the Nichijou school uniform for the first day of the con and in the Lucky Star uniform for the second.

PKGpa.gif

I would have paid good money...to be in your shoes.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kimi ni Todoke 6

I forgot I was watching this anime. With all the fun anime this season, I never had time for it.

So Sawako doesn't like them but she loves them. Makes such a huge difference that was totally worth the 2 episodes of a silly misunderstanding. I don't even remember the cause of the misunderstanding anymore and I don't think anyone else in the anime does cause I'm sure something similar will happen again.

"You are my friends"
Starts crying

"I love you guys"
Starts crying

"Sawako can't hate us"
Starts crying

Glad you're watching it, the supporting cast is so, so good.

Articalys

I would have paid good money...to be in your shoes.
If it makes you feel any better, I missed it too since the Eureka Seven AO panel unfortunately overlapped with her Q&A session that day, but thankfully she was uploading a bunch of photos to her (really cute, I might add) Twitter account, like this picture of her with Mirai Nikki cosplayers (who I ran into later myself after she had left).

http://twitter.com/moririnmonson/status/206314592815677440

Ultimadrago

If it makes you feel any better, I missed it too since the Eureka Seven AO panel unfortunately overlapped with her Q&A session that day, but thankfully she was uploading a bunch of photos to her (really cute, I might add) Twitter account, like this picture of her with Mirai Nikki cosplayers (who I ran into later myself after she had left).

http://twitter.com/moririnmonson/status/206314592815677440

Awesome. I'll check 'em all out.

Goodness, yes.

wsippel

Banned
Queen's Blade Rebellion is probably the most unfocused show I've ever seen. And I actually really liked the first two seasons. They were really dumb and mostly just fanservice, but even though they had just as many (or even more) characters, the show had a clear if simplistic story, something holding it all together. Rebellion on the other hand is all over the place, with no plot whatsoever. They didn't even bother to establish factions or anything. Worse, the show is almost over and the rebellion army hasn't even been mentioned so far. It's just stuff happening and nipples flashing for no reason and with no purpose. Really disappointing - and I didn't even expect much to begin with.

survivor

Banned
Glad you're watching it, the supporting cast is so, so good.

Sawako really is a fun character and I love all her funny faces. If I were to pick the weakest link of the cast then that would be Kazehaya. The guy really has nothing going on for him outside of the whole "cute perfect guy that every girl loves" thing you see in shoujo anime. I'm hoping later on they would develop him into something interesting.

Kimi ni Todoke 7

A much better episode than the last couple we had. This anime's greatest strength is the characters and having them all sit in a room and talk was the best thing. Plus with no drama in this episode, it was all comedy and it was damn funny.

Welcome to the NHK! ep 1
tumblr_m4rfpb2VjP1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Essentially my face during the whole episode. I honestly have no clue what was even going on, conspiracies, addictive anime breeding neets, and other stuff over my head. I think its somewhat funny, I did laugh at the
imaginative scenes with the missionary, that was too much

I think the main character, he is kind of somewhat cool, could be better, but his imagination is pretty vivid. The girl looks and sounds bored so hopefully she stays in the background. The character in the preview, Im guessing voiced by Greg A. sounds pretty cool, so I think I will stay just for that character, best in the show. Will keep watching.

OP and ED are absolutely terrible.

Makoto

Welcome to the NHK! ep 1
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4rfpb2VjP1qbxqfpo1_500.png[img]

Essentially my face during the whole episode. I honestly have no clue what was even going on, conspiracies, addictive anime breeding neets, and other stuff over my head. I think its somewhat funny, I did laugh at the [spoiler]imaginative scenes with the missionary, that was too much[/spoiler].

I think the main character, he is kind of somewhat cool, could be better, but his imagination is pretty vivid. The girl looks and sounds bored so hopefully she stays in the background. The character in the preview, Im guessing voiced by Greg A. sounds pretty cool, so I think I will stay just for that character, best in the show. Will keep watching.

OP and ED are absolutely terrible.[/QUOTE]
I skipped the ED faster than a girl playing jump rope but the OP might grow on you, or at least, the opening trumpets will. Welcome to the NHK is great and Tatsuhiro and Kaoru (the guy voiced by Greg Ayres) really make the show. The chemistry between them made for the best bromance I've seen in anime.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Sawako really is a fun character and I love all her funny faces. If I were to pick the weakest link of the cast then that would be Kazehaya. The guy really has nothing going on for him outside of the whole "cute perfect guy that every girl loves" thing you see in shoujo anime. I'm hoping later on they would develop him into something interesting.

Kimi ni Todoke 7

A much better episode than the last couple we had. This anime's greatest strength is the characters and having them all sit in a room and talk was the best thing. Plus with no drama in this episode, it was all comedy and it was damn funny.

I like Kazehaya just because he isn't the typical guy found in Shoujo. He's not cocky, suave, or imposing. He's insecure (as you'll see soon if you haven't already), and has trouble at times expressing how he really feels, not to mention he's easily embarrassed. Being presented with a male lead of this kind was a breath of fresh air. A down to earth guy, who really is down to earth.

Welcome to the NHK! ep 1
tumblr_m4rfpb2VjP1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Essentially my face during the whole episode. I honestly have no clue what was even.

Awesome show. I love the OP personally. I hope it grows on you if you give it a chance.

Solune

I've had the pleasure of reading the manga so, probably a skip
Before making an ass of myself I have to make a correction, I have not read the manga, as it appears it's a light novel adaptation. I was thinking of something else which I have forgotton at this time.
Hm I don't really remember S1's music all that much, though I do remember really liking the music near the end of episode 1 (around the time everyone was summoning).
I have to question how good the music really is if S1 isn't memorable at all! Also Lancer's theme never popped up, was sorely disappointed. Being Lancer really is suffering.
OP1 >>>>>>>> OP2 though.
I like both but I do agree that OP1 is better.
Kimi ni Todoke 6

"You are my friends"
Starts crying

"I love you guys"
Starts crying

"Sawako can't hate us"
Starts crying

It can't help being so :firehawk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom