• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
lol
I think you get most of the yuri in the front end of that anyway. I mean, that show is where you get "Payapaya" from!

True. :lol

I hope you're joking though. I'm not one to drop a show, and if there's no more yuri from here on out then this is going to be more painful than I imagined.

Gauche the Cellist

Just as great as Sugii's Miyazawa film, if not better or worse. The only niggle I really have with it is that the final scene, where
Gauche internally-apologizes to the bird he injured
, could have been more subtle, as in not having Gauche soliloquize. Recognizing the gravity of how he's developed can be conveyed with non-verbal expressions too! Non-verbal expression is, itself, one of the key binding devices of the whole film; communicating pure emotion through music is how Gauche naturally communicates, anyway. Even at the very end, he had this element of cognitive dissonance that drives him batty in the presence of others, which explain why he's so eager to live on the other side of the river bridge (the separation between private life and life with others). I think the film is a superb Japanese coming-of-age story simply because it shows an embarrassing, bottled-up individual develop into an amiable, versatile team member in the Japanse utopia of Ihatov. In the end, that final scene should do a fantastic job of concluding the story with Gauche's realization of how immature and dishonest he was to his people and, most importantly, himself. Instead, I felt a slight bit betrayed by a detail that's easy to look over, even for Takahata of all directors.

So many great moments in this piece. The animation was, to say the least, surprisingly-good—no: scenes like the first use of "Indian Tiger Hunt" show off a whole bunch of clever animation, distortion of the cat's frame and physical features, and the kind of expressionism that Takahata and Oh Pro are best at, making the whole room feel alive with the rough, crass music that just happens to not be Schumann. Gauche himself was interesting to watch, particularly because he acts so much differently on different sides of the bridge—timid, powerless and naked when rehearsing with the Venus Orchestra; haughty, powerful, and well-clothed when entertaining his woodland-creature guests. And because his laugh is always the same, and because this split between the two Gauches is ever-present, at least until the very end, I was always wondering how he was going to react next. Let's not forget about Takahata's brilliant decision to use classical orchestral music all the way through, or the gorgeous and stylized watercolor depiction of Ihatov at the base of Mt. Whatever, or even the memorable, perceptive antics of each furry thing that happens to enter into Gauche's private life and enlighten his subconscious.

Whereas Night on the Galactic Railroad succeeds in presenting the symbolic, overtly-abstract perspective that Miyazawa had on Buddhism and the way society should work, Gauche the Cellist is down-to-Earth from the very start, blending expressionist qualities with a realistic view of both the Japanese individual and how important communication is in a simpler world, with a simpler lifestyle. Oh: the animation of the musicians themselves is a perfect blend of the two. It's that darn good.

Makoto

wtf is wrong with you!
shes the opposite of annoying
one of the least annoying characters I can even think of
I'd agree with Misaki seeming annoying at first. Mainly because her motives are still very suppressed and unknown. But if DTL still finds her annoying by, say, the midpoint of the series, then we've got a problem.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
True. :lol

I hope you're joking though. I'm not one to drop a show, and if there's no more yuri from here on out then this is going to be more painful than I imagined.

Well, there are close relationships between girls, but that's about it. It's mostly hijinks and "who is her mother" mythology.

Jex

That may be advantageous if it consolidates a lot of bad staff into working on a single project, thus keeping them from being spread over the industry and ruining multiple series.

I don't think it works like that. There's enough bad staff to around,

Jex

Eureka Seven Ep. 43

This was a very well directed episode. There was some very nice animation as well. Looking at the credits, this episode had five animation directors, so it definitely had a good budget. If it were not for the forced drama between Eureka and Renton, it would have been an excellent episode.

Well, if it weren't for existence of Eureka and Renton, the show would be much improved.

Dresden

Gauche the Cellist
It's such a lovely movie. Good point about the split between Gauche's public/personal presence, btw. There's such grace to its direction that it never feels hurried or slow, as it ambles on towards its triumphant conclusion. Gotta love the background art, too: painterly and sets the warm ambiance of the movie's tone.

I remember reading that the movie took 7 years to complete. Quite an achievement.

Well, if it weren't for existence of Eureka and Renton, the show would be much improved.
I wouldn't go that far, though I certainly wouldn't have minded more of a focus on Dominic and Anemone or even the rest of Gekkostate.

I think I noticed how they are going to connect Eureka Seven and AO.
In episode 47, Renton's sister mentioned that the scub coral saw another universe when the Question Limitation was reached and caused a tear in the universe.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well, actually, if you'd been paying attention certain other people have that as well. For example, their manager, Tsubasa Katagiri.

I suppose it's to this episode's detriment that I actually had enough time to stop and think about things.

It's such a lovely movie. Good point about the split between Gauche's public/personal presence, btw. There's such grace to its direction that it never feels hurried or slow, as it ambles on towards its triumphant conclusion. Gotta love the background art, too: painterly and sets the warm ambiance of the movie's tone.

I remember reading that the movie took 7 years to complete. Quite an achievement.
The reason I found issue with the ending dialogue was simply because it felt out of place with every other highly-polished part of the film. What a stunner, an exercise in proper pacing and proportionate film length. At times, anyway, Sugii's film feels a bit too slow, though it makes up for that by the end.

Genre v sub-genre, huh? That's not even as bad as asking about the definition of "art"!

Jex

Yeah, but it wasn't worth the effort trying to find the originals. I settled for the kitty media 2010 bluray/dvd version.

Outrageous! That's like saying you'd rather watch Digimon the movie than Digimon Adventure (1999), Our War Game!! (2000), and Digimon Hurricane Touchdown!! / Supreme Evolution!! The Golden Digimentals (2000).

Well, I guess one should really only watch Our War Game.

Outrageous! That's like saying you'd rather watch Digimon the movie than Digimon Adventure (1999), Our War Game!! (2000), and Digimon Hurricane Touchdown!! / Supreme Evolution!! The Golden Digimentals (2000).

Well, I guess one should really only watch Our War Game.
If it gives me more Amano instead of Nagumo (or any of the rest of the cast), I'm in.

Sengoku Paradise Kiwami 08
XDyWo.jpg
This episode was basically 3 minutes of an adorable cat. No one cares about you Li Naomasa.

DiGiKerot

The Trava DVDs, btw, are really difficult to obtain IIRC. The OVA was packaged with the Grasshoppa! anime DVD magazine, which isn't easy to get, and even then I don't know about subs from a production like that.

I'm pretty sure that they rebundled the Trava OAVs as its own release at some point, and, for the the one volume of Grasshoppa! that I bought (for the Hideaki Anno live-action short Ryusei Kacho) at least, the subtitles were fine (pretty sure it's exactly the same translation you're seeing elsewhere...).

But, yeah, those things had super-small print runs and can be a real pain to find.

Jex

I wouldn't say depressing, there are some sad moments but overall its light hearted.

I don't feel that Welcome to the NHK is an inherently light-hearted work. It certainly contains elements of dark comedy, but that's different.

Dresden

The reason I found issue with the ending dialogue was simply because it felt out of place with every other highly-polished part of the film.
I wanted to comment on this but it's been a long time since I last watched Gauche, and I didn't remember thinking anything was off at the time. But it's something I'll be looking out for on my re-watch of the movie (at some unspecified point in time).

I've always been a dom/anemone guy but it wouldn't be e7 without the inferior romantic pair.

I'm pretty sure that they rebundled the Trava OAVs as its own release at some point, and, for the the one volume of Grasshoppa! that I bought (for the Hideaki Anno live-action short Ryusei Kacho) at least, the subtitles were fine (pretty sure it's exactly the same translation you're seeing elsewhere...).

But, yeah, those things had super-small print runs and can be a real pain to find.
I'll look into it. But a quick Google search didn't bring anything up, and the rebundled stuff might be just as inaccessible. Not easy to acquire this one, but oh well.

I need to watch Evangelion sometime. Preferably not Rebuild.

Uchip

Banned
I wouldn't go that far, though I certainly wouldn't have minded more of a focus on Dominic and Anemone or even the rest of Gekkostate.

I think I noticed how they are going to connect Eureka Seven and AO.
In episode 47, Renton's sister mentioned that the scub coral saw another universe when the Question Limitation was reached and caused a tear in the universe.

They expect people to remember that?

One Piece 18

7m19L.jpg

Luffy's artistic skills leave something to be desired.

This one-off story was slight, but fairly enjoyable. It helped that it never took itself too seriously, so it could get the goofiness of the characters and situations shine. Gaimon is a prime example of the kitchen-sink approach to character design exhibited in this series - the idea for coming up with him must have been "Let's slap a bush and a treasure chest together, then add a scruffy head and stubby hands and feet." Whereas I've rolled my eyes at quite a number of the designs, the audacity of this one, and the absurdity of living 20 years stuffed in an empty treasure chest made it work. The animation was janky, but there was some nice visual comedy in some of the faces.

Luffy still hasn't found the One Piece, has he? I bet it doesn't even exist.

I wanted to comment on this but it's been a long time since I last watched Gauche, and I didn't remember thinking anything was off at the time. But it's something I'll be looking out for on my re-watch of the movie (at some unspecified point in time).

I watched Gauche quite recently, and I didn't notice any problems. Although the film primarily focuses on music and visuals, it does not shy away from using words when it wants to point up a particular moral, while making sure not to become preachy. It's top-notch all around, and the work that went into it shows. It has an excellent understanding of music performance, both visually and conceptually.

wonzo

Banned
So after all these years I've finally finished watching Evangelion and End of Evangelion.... what in the flying fuck did I just watch?
You just watched the second best thing Gainax has ever made and one of the best animated series out there. Now you can watch the incredibly sub-par CG laden rebuild movies!

wonzo

Banned
I have to say the scene in the second rebuild movie where
Shinji hulked the fuck out over Rei
was pretty damn cool.

I watched Gauche quite recently, and I didn't notice any problems. Although the film primarily focuses on music and visuals, it does not shy away from using words when it wants to point up a particular moral, while making sure not to become preachy. It's top-notch all around, and the work that went into it shows. It has an excellent understanding of music performance, both visually and conceptually.
Pretty much. That was the only part that caught me off guard, and it's not as bad as I might be making it out to be, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom