• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sankarea 1-5
Finally got around this to checking this out, one of Funimation's two late-start simulcasts.

Episodes 1-3: Slow-paced. I assume the intent was
to drive home how stifling and painful Rea's life is, so that when she finally escapes it by being "reborn," we can share that relief with her,
but unfortunately I found it dull on the whole. I wonder if they could have compressed that into two episodes instead of three, and maybe put some details in flashbacks later if needed.
Normally I'd have dropped the show at this point, but a number of people here talked about it changing after the third episode, so I decided to go ahead and watch all five that Funimation has up at the moment.

Episodes 4-5: Love-triangle character comedy with zombie humor. These two episodes were a lot more enjoyable than the drawn-out first three, and it feels like the show's finally gotten started. I can't say I've suddenly become a huge fan, but it's reasonably watchable anyway. Now that I'm over the hump of the first three, maybe the rest will be smooth sailing. Will check out a couple more eps at least.

Next up is to check out Funi's other late-start simulcast, Eureka 7 AO, the only show on my list I haven't gotten to yet.

It's fascinating to read an opinion so completely different from every single other person in this thread.

It's why I love that Fujikoike thread so much, anyway.

Watching Arashi no Yoru ni at the moment. A light-hearted Sugii romp, with way-too-much CG and a lot of stretchy animation. Pretty good.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hyouka makes me realise I'm cleverer than the average anime character. You don't need a long explanation of the icecream = i scream pun. You don't need a long explanation that a and d look similar if you have bad handwriting.

Branduil

Hyouka makes me realise I'm cleverer than the average anime character. You don't need a long explanation of the icecream = i scream pun. You don't need a long explanation that a and d look similar if you have bad handwriting.

To be fair English isn't the native language of Japan.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Arcade Gamer Fubuki 3-4:

agf1xj74f.gif

FUCK. YES.

I really hope that I see this gif on gaming side someday.

2x2=Shinobuden 01:

Low-budget unfunny shit and the low point of Wakamoto's career. I may still watch an episode or two before dropping just to see how far down the rabbit hole of suck goes.

Just a note, the sidewalk in Angel Beats isn't posted because of its repeating pattern, it's posted because it's literally just one of the default filters in Photoshop.

Wait, that's why everyone said it was bad? I kept looking for something odd about it and couldn't find anything. Well that explains it then.

Sankarea 1-5
Finally got around this to checking this out, one of Funimation's two late-start simulcasts.

to drive home how stifling and painful Rea's life is, so that when she finally escapes it by being "reborn," we can share that relief with her,
but unfortunately I found it dull on the whole. I wonder if they could have compressed that into two episodes instead of three, and maybe put some details in flashbacks later if needed.
Normally I'd have dropped the show at this point, but a number of people here talked about it changing after the third episode, so I decided to go ahead and watch all five that Funimation has up at the moment.

Episodes 4-5: Love-triangle character comedy with zombie humor. These two episodes were a lot more enjoyable than the drawn-out first three, and it feels like the show's finally gotten started. I can't say I've suddenly become a huge fan, but it's reasonably watchable anyway. Now that I'm over the hump of the first three, maybe the rest will be smooth sailing. Will check out a couple more eps at least.

I don't know how much you'll like it by the end since it may venture back into the dark territory of the first 3 episodes, but it should be love comedy at least until the last few episodes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Son of a gun! Fighting Vipers 2! Played by a velociraptor!

Definitely needs to be used by 1st Post-GAF for any future FV threads.
Is there a lot of FV talk on GAF? lol

I don't know how much you'll like it by the end since it may venture back into the dark territory of the first 3 episodes, but it should be love comedy at least until the last few episodes.
I don't think it being dark is the problem (not that it was all that dark), since I found it rather banal as well.

flawfuls

It's why I love that Fujikoike thread so much, anyway.

Watching Arashi no Yoru ni at the moment. A light-hearted Sugii romp, with way-too-much CG and a lot of stretchy animation. Pretty good.

It was okay but it's pretty low down on the scale of anime movies children's about predator prey relationships. It lacks the dark atmosphere and twisted story that only Sanrio can bring to the table in Ringing Bell or the manly dinosaurs and of You are Umasou.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
For some people, that goes hand in hand. I feel like dark tone stuff is harder to pull off than light-hearted stuff without being boring.
I just think
sexual exploitation
has become the "haircutting" of cheap character development at this point. It's been done so much that it's not even shocking any more.

(It probably didn't help that there were at least two
high school prostitute
stories last year).

Dern it, I'd talk about FV. We do like to talk about 3D fighters a lot, so there's that.
I love FV and wish Sega would just put it out on XBLA or something. But it's probably deader than Valkyria Chronicles 3 at this point.

It was okay but it's pretty low down on the scale of anime movies children's about predator prey relationships. It lacks the dark atmosphere and twisted story that only Sanrio can bring to the table in Ringing Bell or the manly dinosaurs and of You are Umasou.
Too late. Already watching it. The Sanrio stuff sounds good, though.

Kagami

Not having read the manga, and just knowing the premise, I went into it expecting a "setup" followed by the "main story," like so many shows work, so I wind up interpreting 1-3 as the former and 4-5 as the latter, but that's arguably arbitrary on my part.

wonzo

Banned
Want to watch the first eight minutes of Blood-C: The Last Dark? Here you go.
saya will protect 2d crowds.
hopefully the dude with the lollipop dies asap

Worst character? Absolutely. Single worst thing for me had to be
switching out Toji for Asuka in the Bardiel fight and adding in that shitty insert song in place of The Beast II/Sin from Genesis
, though. Fuck that shit a million times over.
oh yeah, that was also pretty bad but i just found mari's existence to be the most despicable thing about the rebuild movies, maybe that'll change if they descide to actually develope her as a character.

Uchip

Banned
化身(アバター) - 最後の空功者 1-4 - Not bad, but people were definitely right that this starts off slow. Only about 4 episodes in, and I barely feel like much of note has happened yet, nor have I gotten a feel for the characters or setting yet.

The direction and animation is certainly competent, but pizzaroll is "right" that the storyboarding is pretty boring compared to a lot of anime, there isn't much that really stands out about the production on a scene-to-scene basis, and the fight scenes have a floaty feel to them, that makes them less interesting then they could be. But one thing that the show definitely gets right is the characters and writing - the dialogue and their interactions feels completely natural and is just a lot of fun to watch them interact amongst themselves, despite not knowing much about any of the characters, I especially liked episode 4 a lot due to that element, despite the "dull" plot of that episode.

So yeah overall - I'm enjoying myself, and I'm excited to hear that it improves as it goes along, going be a good next few weeks!

I also watched this a long long time after if finished airing
and it still held up pretty well

I don't think its fair to compare it to anime, when for every decent, mature anime there are 100 trashy ones. Imagine if western animators made as many efforts as the Japanese industry at making this kind of thing. Sadly I can count them on one hand.

Yeah, I've decided I'm never going to bother watching either of the Avatar series after all.
Why?
I also watched this a long long time after if finished airing
and it still held up pretty well

I don't think its fair to compare it to anime, when for every decent, mature anime there are 100 trashy ones. Imagine if western animators made as many efforts as the Japanese industry at making this kind of thing. Sadly I can count them on one hand.
I don't know for sure, but I think the animation side of things was entirely handled by Koreans. Which would explain pizzaroll's issues with the visuals.

sleepykyo

Sankarea 1-5

Next up is to check out Funi's other late-start simulcast, Eureka 7 AO, the only show on my list I haven't gotten to yet.

Such a rebel.

Articalys

Weekly BD/DVD/CD Rankings for May 21 - 27:

Blu-ray
*1, 43,263 43,263 Nisemonogatari vol.2 Limited Edition
*2, 17,452 17,452 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon vol.6 Limited Edition
*3, 15,908 15,908 Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 vol.1
*4, 15,877 15,877 Persona 4 The Animation vol.7 Limited Edition
*5, *7,581 *7,581 Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai vol.5
*6, *6,549 *6,549 Highschool DxD vol.3
*7, *5,723 *5,723 The iDOLM@STER vol.8 Limited Edition
*8, *5,610 *5,610 Ano Natsu de Matteru vol.3 Limited Edition
*9, *5,578 *5,578 Aquarion Evol vol.2
10, *5,566 *5,566 Berserk Ougon Jidaihen I: Haou no Tamago
11, *4,789 *4,789 Guilty Crown vol.5 Limited Edition
12, *4,770 *4,770 Inu x Boku SS vol.3 Limited Edition
13, *4,662 *4,662 Natsume Yuujinchou Shi vol.4 Limited Edition
14, *4,448 *4,448 Durarara!! Blu-ray Box
15, *4,058 *4,058 Mawaru Penguindrum vol.8 Limited Edition
16, *3,241 *3,241 Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam movies movies Blu-ray box

DVD
*1, 10,186 *,*10,186 Gintama' vol.11 Limited Edition
*2, *7,515 *,**7,515 Nisemonogatari vol.2 Limited Edition
*3, *6,101 *,**6,101 Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 vol.1
*4, *5,909 *,**5,909 Persona 4 The Animation vol.7 Limited Edition
*5, *4,630 *,**4,630 Inu x Boku SS vol.3 Limited Edition
*6, *3,394 *,**3,394 Natsume Yuujinchou Shi vol.4 Limited Edition
*7, *3,061 *,**3,061 Sekaiichi Hatsukoi 2 vol.6 Limited Edition
*8, *2,455 *,**2,455 Eureka Seven DVD Box vol.2
*9, *2,225 *,**2,225 Highschool DxD vol.3
10, *2,072 *,**2,072 Bleach Kotei 13 Tai Shingun Hen vol.4
11, *2,067 *,**2,067 Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai vol.5
12, *1,651 *,**1,651 Berserk Ougon Jidaihen I: Haou no Tamago
13, *1,594 *,**1,594 Aquarion Evol vol.2
14, *1,542 *,**1,542 Brave 10 vol.3
15, *1,474 *,**1,474 Guilty Crown vol.5 Limited Edition
16, *1,277 *,**1,277 The iDOLM@STER vol.8 Limited Edition
17, **,882 *,***,882 Kimi to Boku. vol.6 Limited Edition
18, **,827 *,***,827 Maken-Ki! vol.6 Limited Edition
19, **,783 *,***,783 Ai Mai! Moe Can Change!
20, **,742 *,***,742 Mahoujin Guru Guru DVD Box vol.1
21, **,726 *,***,726 Mashiroiro Symphony: The Color of Lovers vol.5
22, **,712 *,***,712 Mahoujin Guru Guru DVD Box vol.2
23, **,708 *,***,708 Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki vol.1
24, **,669 1,137,545 My Neighbor Totoro
25, **,655 *,***,655 Zero no Tsukaima F vol.4
26, **,625 *,***,625 Mobile Suit Gundam III: Encounters in Space
27, **,619 *,***,619 Chihayafuru vol.6
28, **,569 *,***,569 Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? of the Dead vol.1 Limited Edition
29, **,561 *,***,561 Nintama Rantarou 19th Series vol.1
30, **,557 *,***,557 Nichijou vol.12 Special Edition

Articalys

Single CD
*7, 24,914 24,914 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san "Taiyo iwaku Moeyo Chaos"
13, 12,234 12,234 Ginga e Kickoff!! "Ame Tokidoki Hare Nochi Niji"
14, 11,548 11,548 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san "Zutto Be with you"
18, *8,714 *8,714 Naruto: Shippuuden "Totsugeki Rock"
20, *7,669 *7,669 Toyosaki Aki "Shirotsumekusa"
22, *6,239 *6,239 Kuroko no Basket Character Song series vol.3 Ryota
24, *5,915 *5,915 Kuroko no Basket Character Song series vol.1 Tetsuya
25, *5,424 *5,424 Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle 2 "Now or Never"
28, *4,845 *4,845 Uchuu Kyoudai "Subarashiki Sekai"
30, *4,130 *4,130 Kuroko no Basket Character Song series vol.2 Taiga
31, *4,103 *4,103 Hyouka "Madoromi no Yakusoku"
34, *3,842 *3,842 Eureka Seven AO "Escape"
36, *3,662 24,507 Mobile Suit Gundam AGE "Real"
38, *3,646 *3,646 Sengoku Collection "Me wo Tojite Gyu shiyo"
40, *3,398 25,900 Accel World "Chase the world"
42, *3,168 14,258 Tsuritama "Tsurezure Monochrome"
44, *3,059 12,794 Accel World "→unfinished←"
45, *3,009 *3,009 Mobile Suit Gundam AGE "White justice"
46, *2,901 *2,901 Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan "Kokisekai" "Fuwaffua no Maho"
50, *2,530 *2,530 Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon Character Song vol.2 Aoi Kimi

MARVELOUS

wonzo

Banned
Yeah, I've decided I'm never going to bother watching either of the Avatar series after all.
That's a shame as you're missing out on a pretty enjoyable experience.

CCS - 17

What I wouldn't give to be in Tomoyo's position.
I can never forgive CLAMP for what they did to Tomoyo :(

Weekly BD/DVD/CD Rankings for May 21 - 27:

Blu-ray
*1, 43,263 43,263 Nisemonogatari vol.2 Limited Edition

DVD

*2, *7,515 *,**7,515 Nisemonogatari vol.2 Limited Edition
the selling power of the toothbrush knows no bounds. amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom