• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

/XX/

It's kind of weird when those are the countries they often wind up in.
And are also mentioned by name active participants on those (hinted at) designated zones of armed conflict. For example, the Russian Federation Army. It really creates a weird mix of not trying to be offensive while dropping obvious references.

It reminds me of MGS4 where they decided to utilize more generic region names like Middle East or South America to avoid problems with easily offended people (does anyone here still remembers the polemic with the word 'medina' after the playable demo they released?), and it also helped them using combatants from fictitious PMCs and undisclosed militias on the actual game, but at the same time were also mentioned previous conflicts on places like "Somalia, the Balkans, Lebanon, Darfur, Chechnya, Timor, Peru, the Punjab, Kashmir, Colombia"... all name-dropped as is.

Jex

Eureka Seven Ep. 50

So the Earth was split, both in terms of land and population, with half going to the other universe. AO must take place in the other universe, especially since Ao has the Nirvash. Crazy stuff.

Well, AO is a distinct possibility. but you must not forget about the Eureka Seven movie. I know some people try to, but it cannot be denied.
No such thing, Jex.

If you're forgoing food or sleep (or both) then you're watching too much anime.
The weirdest thing about it is that they're more than happy to name drop America, Germany, Spain, Italy and Russia and yet they can't even pull the name of a minor European and/or Middle Eastern country out of their arse. Can anyone who's read the manga please comment on whether or not this was also the case in the original work?
It's not just anime, though. Call of Duty: Modern Combat seemed to have some real difficulty naming names when it came to Middle Eastern countries.
The problems that arise with the production values definitely bother me, but it's never gotten bad enough to take me out of the story.

Well, I would prefer to it for be better but it doesn't actively annoy me as much as it would in similar-looking shows. For whatever reason I myself becoming interpolated into the story despite some of the weak presentation. I suppose that's the sign of a strong story because it's how I also feel about Towards The Terra.

Do any of you have any low-budget shows that you really enjoyed despite their...low-budgetness?

cajunator

Banned
Well, AO is a distinct possibility. but you must not forget about the Eureka Seven movie. I know some people try to, but it cannot be denied.

If you're forgoing food or sleep (or both) then you're watching too much anime.

It's not just anime, though. Call of Duty: Modern Combat seemed to have some real difficulty naming names when it came to Middle Eastern countries.

Well, I would prefer to it for be better but it doesn't actively annoy me as much as it would in similar-looking shows. For whatever reason I myself becoming interpolated into the story despite some of the weak presentation. I suppose that's the sign of a strong story because it's how I also feel about Towards The Terra.

Do any of you have any low-budget shows that you really enjoyed despite their...low-budgetness?

If you are forgoing food or sleep then that's bad no matter what activity you are doing.

Clott

About to start to watch kids on the slope, really enjoying crunchy roll.

What are the other stand out shows this season, I have seen some mention the space brother show.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Nyaruko-san 08
jPmyn.jpg
A+++++ episode, even with the bad end.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Jormungand 8

Even if the OP still makes me want to stab my eardrums, I actually kinda enjoyed this episode. I think the lack of action sequences actually helped in that regard as this show has proven again and again that it completely and utterly fails at adding any sense of weight or tension to them.
Holy shit these character designs are terrible.

In Space Brothers' case, it helps that the direction and storyboarding is generally solid, even if the animation isn't always.

Kagami

Eureka 7 AO 1-6
I wasn't a massive fan of the original E7 but it was OK. Third season/cour was my favorite.
I think I'm feeling about the same toward this one. Certainly good enough to keep watching anyway.
Ao and Naru's VAs leave something to be desired but I've heard worse.
Omigawa's voice has really grown on me. And Chloe sounds cute (Rin from Usagi Drop).

There's a couple of poorly explained premise details that are bugging me
  • Only kids can ride IFOs--because the Mark I was like that? And they somehow duplicated it precisely without understanding it?
  • IFO's can destroy Secrets simply by punching them but "conventional weapons" can't--how does that work? What's so magical about missiles launched from Ellena's IFO? They've got super-intelligent AI but can't just install that on said magic missiles, they have to send in IFOs to punch stuff?
but stuff like that isn't terribly important.

Now I'm gonna go back and read all those E7AO posts I bookmarked.

Makoto

it's at least a 4/5 anime, good sir.

I must demand satisfaction.
It's a lot like Squid Girl in that I rarely actually laughed, but I could understand the praise it gets. Episode 15's skit about internet trolling was funny but I think that was the only one I genuinely chuckled at. Overall, I certainly wouldn't disagree with anyone who gave it a better score or thought much highly of it than I did.

Kagami

Now that I've finally seen all* the shows I wanted to check out this season, my watching list is looking like this, roughly in order of interest:

• Bodacious Space Pirates - It's been a little inconsistent, but it still delivers enough tense action and interesting solutions to problems to keep me hooked. And of course the characters are great.
  • Queen's Blade Rebellion - Not actually watching this as it airs due to the streaming version being censored. I watched the first episode to make sure they didn't fundamentally screw it up somehow, but other than that I'll be blind-buying the BDs on faith based on liking all the previous QB stuff.
  • Mysterious Girlfriend X - Character designs aren't to my taste, but this show keeps delivering these really sweet romantic moments that are worth watching for.
  • Saki - Achigahen - Can't compete with the original Saki cast, but it's a fun diversion while waiting for the real thing to return.
  • Eureka 7 AO
  • Upotte!!
  • Accel World
  • Shining Hearts - This show reminds me somewhat of another game-based fantasy anime called Campanella, which was similarly laid-back and uneventful. Campanella bored me so much I dropped it after the first episode, but for some reason I'm still watching Shining Hearts. Probably because the Tony Taka-designed characters are pretty.
  • Sankarea
  • Poyopoyo - Roundcats are round.
  • Yurumates 3D - Momo-i
  • ZETMAN - Still clinging to the faint hope this will end in some interesting fashion, but I should probably give up on it.

*Except for Hyouka and Acchi Kocchi, which lack internet streams. Hopefully they'll get them eventually.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Probably never going to get made but do want:

Japanese advertising agency Dentsu and Hayakawa Publishing Corp. have entered into a live-action feature rights deal for Japanese sci-fi novels that have attracted the interest of "Transformers" producer Don Murphy and "Shoot 'Em Up" helmer Michael Davis.

Angry Films principal Murphy plans to develop an adaptation of sci-fi author Issui Ogawa's novel "Tokisuna no Ou" ("The Lord of the Sands of Time"), which Hayakawa published in 2007.

Time-travel war novel takes place in the 26th century after human life on Earth has been annihilated by alien invaders. Story follows a messenger who is sent back to the past to battle the aliens.

"I see enormous potential in the unique and vast scale of this work and in the story that describes the love between a messenger from the future and the shaman queen of a bygone era," Murphy said.

In addition, Davis has agreed to direct and produce "Mardock Scramble," based on the popular novel by author Tow Ubukata. An animated adaptation was a box office hit in Japan, and the sequel will be released this fall. Story follows a young prostitute who acquires the ability to interfere with electronics and teams with a shape-shifting mouse to exact revenge on the crime boss who nearly killed her.

In addition, Davis has agreed to direct and produce "Mardock Scramble," based on the popular novel by author Tow Ubukata. An animated adaptation was a box office hit in Japan, and the sequel will be released this fall. Story follows a young prostitute who acquires the ability to interfere with electronics and teams with a shape-shifting mouse to exact revenge on the crime boss who nearly killed her.

Wont it lose its charm as a live action, since they will most likely abandon the animation style, don't know if I'd be up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom