• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Michael Davis is definitely the right director for Mardock Scramble. He is every bit the trashy reductionist style over substance writer-director that the source material deserves.

Ultimadrago

aVnxB.jpg

DJZkr.jpg

duckroll

Have any of you seen the movies Davis wrote and directed? He's perfect for "anime" material. His movies have all been either "sexy" romantic/harem comedies, or "hardcore" over stylized stuff with over the top action and violence.

trejo

Michael Davis is definitely the right director for Mardock Scramble. He is every bit the trashy reductionist style over substance writer-director that the source material deserves.

But didn't you know? Style is substance!

And it's not like Mardock Scramble had either.

Jex

Certainly, although ideally it shouldn't exist at all.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I feel so alone, where did everybody go :(

Started watching Mysterious Girlfriend X, definitely the best show I've seen this season besides Fate/Zero of course. It's excessively erotic like QBR and Lupin, only it's actually somehow classy and interesting at the same time.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I feel so alone, where did everybody go :(

Started watching Mysterious Girlfriend X, definitely the best show I've seen this season besides Fate/Zero of course. It's excessively erotic like QBR and Lupin, only it's actually somehow classy and interesting at the same time.
The power of good direction.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'd watch a Michael Davis Mardock Scramble adaptation
for the laughs.

AKB0048 5

duckroll was right, this episode IS dangerous (in a creepy, overly self-conscious to a level of paranoia manner)

Why yes, yes I do!

I knew that chick was going to be pure moe the moment she showed up last week.

survivor

Banned
Kimi ni Todoke 8

This episode just made me realize something, does either Sawako or Kazehaya know they love each other? Cause Sawako just keeps saying she feels this weird thing in her chest everytime she sees him and I'm starting to wonder if she knows what that means

"I like your braids"
Sawako freezes for 10 minutes

I wish I had that kinda of power

Steroyd

Kimi ni Todoke 8

This episode just made me realize something, does either Sawako or Kazehaya know they love each other? Cause Sawako just keeps saying she feels this weird thing in her chest everytime she sees him and I'm starting to wonder if she knows what that means.

Not Firehawk: Slowjo's gonna slowjo.

Firehawk: It's all about the character's development of self realisation.

Makoto

Bamboo Blade 23

This episode was a staunch reminder of the cultural differences between Japan and the West.
So, Toyama and Iwasa, two dudes who haven't stepped into the kendo club's dojo since single-digit episode whatever get into a fight and the principal is being pressured to hold the entire kendo team responsible and suspend them despite the fact that they're not on the kendo team? Not returning resignation letters is bullshit, they're NOT on the team. Misguided logic aside, what was more jaw-dropping was that Kirino and company actually had to mull over whether or not they "lie," about Toyama and Iwasa being on the team and avoid a team suspension or if they tell the "truth," and take the punishment... honorably? Like... wut... at this entire part of the episode.

So Toyama and Iwasa:
-
Have not participated in a tournament
-
Have not attended practice
-
But the only thing technically keeping them on the kendo team is a lack of resignation letters from them
-
Kirino actually has to debate whether or not to throw Toyama and Iwasa under the bus?

Bro, if this were an American team, not only would they have "thrown" Toyama and Iwasa "under the bus," they would have attached them to the tires and gone on a cross-country road trip from San Francisco to New York.
HOW IS THIS AN ISSUE?

Jex

In addition, Davis has agreed to direct and produce "Mardock Scramble," based on the popular novel by author Tow Ubukata. An animated adaptation was a box office hit in Japan, and the sequel will be released this fall. Story follows a young prostitute who acquires the ability to interfere with electronics and teams with a shape-shifting mouse to exact revenge on the crime boss who nearly killed her.
This synopsis leaves out all the important details that makes the story so memorable. For shame.
Holy shit these character designs are terrible.

They certainly appear to be sub-eroge visual novel level, which is really saying something.

survivor

Banned
Princess Jellyfish 1-2

I loved these two episodes. So energetic, funny and great looking. The characters are just great. I was actually surprised by their designs at first, this is probably the first anime I watch where the main cast of female characters don't look attractive. Well I think Tsukimi is still cute but the anime is making her out to be the ugly unstylish otaku.

I guess the
Kuranosuke reveal wasn't that surprising. I thought they were going for an all females cast but I guess this makes situations more funny in the future and probably lead to more interesting developments.

Jex

Bunch of staff whores placing importance of staff over subject matter in here. Smh.

Oh wait, I'm not cosmic... whoops.
It looks like we've all been in the same (essentially) thread with the same (kind of) group of people for far too long!

cajunator

Banned
Princess Jellyfish 1-2

I loved these two episodes. So energetic, funny and great looking. The characters are just great. I was actually surprised by their designs at first, this is probably the first anime I watch where the main cast of female characters don't look attractive. Well I think Tsukimi is still cute but the anime is making her out to be the ugly unstylish otaku.

I guess the
Kuranosuke reveal wasn't that surprising. I thought they were going for an all females cast but I guess this makes situations more funny in the future and probably lead to more interesting developments.

Thats one of those shows where the characters dont look like much but you'll love it anyway because the rest of the show is so charming.

Bamboo Blade 23

This episode was a staunch reminder of the cultural differences between Japan and the West.
So, Toyama and Iwasa, two dudes who haven't stepped into the kendo club's dojo since single-digit episode whatever get into a fight and the principal is being pressured to hold the entire kendo team responsible and suspend them despite the fact that they're not on the kendo team? Not returning resignation letters is bullshit, they're NOT on the team. Misguided logic aside, what was more jaw-dropping was that Kirino and company actually had to mull over whether or not they "lie," about Toyama and Iwasa being on the team and avoid a team suspension or if they tell the "truth," and take the punishment... honorably? Like... wut... at this entire part of the episode.

So Toyama and Iwasa:
-
Have not participated in a tournament
-
Have not attended practice
-
But the only thing technically keeping them on the kendo team is a lack of resignation letters from them
-
Kirino actually has to debate whether or not to throw Toyama and Iwasa under the bus?

Bro, if this were an American team, not only would they have "thrown" Toyama and Iwasa "under the bus," they would have attached them to the tires and gone on a cross-country road trip from San Francisco to New York.
HOW IS THIS AN ISSUE?

Haha, I watched this last week after irc's recommendation. Those last few episodes were definitely something else, lol. I guess because they were anime original. I don't remember any of this particular nonsense in the manga.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Princess Jellyfish 1-2

I guess the

... in the manga.

Kazzy

K-On! 1

Some girl, who is ever so slightly retarded, decides to join a music club. I don't know. I hope there is some fighting soon.

Seriously though, it was a solid episode. I could see myself watching it out of the sheer whimsy on display, really nice animation too. I originally wanted to watch an episode or two out of curiousity (no thanks to this place), but I can see myself giving this a chance. Against all the odds I actually enjoyed Haruhi, so stranger things have happened. This seems to get a bit of flak from some corners, but it's a bit of harmless fun as far I'm concerned.

cajunator

Banned
K-On! 1

Some girl, who is ever so slightly retarded, decides to join a music club. I don't know. I hope there is some fighting soon.

Seriously though, it was a solid episode. I could see myself watching it out of the sheer whimsy on display, really nice animation too. I originally wanted to watch an episode or two out of curiousity (no thanks to this place), but I can see myself giving this a chance. Against all the odds I actually enjoyed Haruhi, so stranger things have happened. This seems to get a bit of flak from some corners, but it's a bit of harmless fun as far I'm concerned.

This show is cute and fun. something I say about a lot of series to be sure, but K-On really is. Its like junk food, but not the kind that will kill you.

Mysterious Girlfriend X realizes that mystery and restraint can be much more alluring and sensual than simply baring big boobs all over the place.

K-On! 1

K-ON gets a lot of undeserved flak; it really is just a bit of harmless fun.

cajunator

Banned
Oh you.

Futa is crap.

Futa has its place. Not my cup of tea but I can see where people are coming from liking it.
Its definitely appealing to the transgender group who experience things that others really dont understand and they can probably identify with futa characters.

survivor

Banned

To be honest if it came to slowjo vs madjo I'd much rather take the former. At least I won't die from over raging

Thats one of those shows where the characters dont look like much but you'll love it anyway because the rest of the show is so charming.
Yep, the show is very charming and funny

... in the manga.

So they won't even expand on that in the anime? Oh well, I was planning on reading the manga afterwards anyway.

Saint Seiya Omega 9

I find it interesting that among the main team, the only one that actually shares a cloth with a previous main team member is Ryuho. Everyone else was either in the fail of a Jabu brigade or didn't exist at all.

Anyway, good episode.

Makoto

Haha, I watched this last week after irc's recommendation. Those last few episodes were definitely something else, lol. I guess because they were anime original. I don't remember any of this particular nonsense in the manga.
That would explain it. Something about the narrative in these last few episodes feels... unhinged. It's still good, but something felt very off.

wonzo

Banned
Holy shit these character designs are terrible.
yeah, they're pretty bad.

In addition, Davis has agreed to direct and produce "Mardock Scramble," based on the popular novel by author Tow Ubukata. An animated adaptation was a box office hit in Japan, and the sequel will be released this fall. Story follows a young prostitute who acquires the ability to interfere with electronics and teams with a shape-shifting mouse to exact revenge on the crime boss who nearly killed her.
this is going to be terribly amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom