• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I use YATTA (guided manual IVTC) because I hate myself.
In your opinion, is it worth learning how to use either IVTC options to reencode given the number of discs I need to get through, or just not bother and do raw ISO dumps? I'd rather save the HDD space if given the option, and the majority of my collection is older stuff.

Risette

A Good Citizen
In your opinion, is it worth learning how to use either IVTC options to reencode given the number of discs I need to get through, or just not bother and do raw ISO dumps? I'd rather save the HDD space if given the option, and the majority of my collection is older stuff.
I'd go with ISO dumps to save the trouble. Anime authoring really is a pain to deal with, especially the older DVDs.

YATTA is not an option unless you really have an hour to spend IVTCing an episode.

Kazzy

K-ON! 2

7NPpu.jpg

Lies.

The tea-time chronicles. It's reputation in that regard seems well deserved already. Also traffic surveying looks like the easiest job ever, just fudge the numbers! The entire gang (except maybe Ritsu) so far are pretty dumb, people like that simply cannot function properly.I look forward to the revelation that is all some fever dream, conjured up a cat on a sunny ledge, it would explain a lot.

Yui's allowance seems ridiculous by the way, or maybe thats just me. I still can't remember cake girls name.

K-ON! 2

7NPpu.jpg

Lies.

The tea-time chronicles. It's reputation in that regard seems well deserved already. Also traffic surveying looks like the easiest job ever, just fudge the numbers! The entire gang (except maybe Ritsu) so far are pretty dumb, people like that simply cannot function properly.I look forward to the revelation that is all some fever dream, conjured up a cat on a sunny ledge, it would explain a lot.

Yui's allowance seems ridiculous by the way, or maybe thats just me. I still can't remember cake girls name.

Mio may have a severe social phobia, but she's actually the smartest one there. And the "cake girl" is Mugi. The first season is not to kind to her.

Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker
tumblr_m4ght5VMlE1qj06c7o2_500.gif

The anime reaffirmed my dislikes of some aspects of western role playing games, that is, their tendency to have characters so old. That was something I disliked in Skyrim, everyone all elderly. However at least in Mass Effect I could have characters look kind of younger and in dragon age. That is to say, the anime had some pretty nice designs for characters. Regalyan D'Marcall was pretty cool for the main male protagonists, Fenric, while old and such, was actually an epic antagonist. Mages are always superior characters when faced with sword only users, and he and the other blood mages were like no other. Regular mages too were cool too, such flashy and powerful skills. Cassandra took awhile to like for me. Her english VA sounded weird trying to get an accent (I didn't know she even has an accent, you can't tell when she voices Monkey D Luffy...) and she was so
hardened against mages, which is against my own beliefs. However the backstory was believable and understandable for her
. I also liked the High Seeker.

The plot felt like a nice addition to the world and I think this anime highlights excellent design of dragons. These dragons actually looked believable, powerful, and non cartoony and terrible like other media and mainstream movies and books. I haven't seen dragons look this good since Mashima's Fairy Tail. Oh and one particular dragon
the High Dragon
was stunning.

The story had lots of low points but they were worth it alone for the tension among factions and traitors, as well as the action interspersed. My favorite moments were
Fenric turning into a crow in the beginning and the massive dragon assault at the ending climax
. Only part that had emotion that worked to get me worked up was
that sudden death of the High Seeker :( and almost for Her Divine

Animation was decent. Backgrounds and environments were stunning, the dragons were cool. Blood felt awkward. It sometimes felt really cheesy and distracting. It had weird fluid physics. I would have been alright if blood was omitted, especially since, its so prevalent that it becomes annoying to see and laughable.

7 / 10...great for $12.99 and an good slow Wednesday evening watch. I didn't mean to type this much.

Uchip

Banned
Ended up just finishing Wakfu Season 2 last night
I was far too ill to find anything that people recommended during my insomnia/influenza battle

its shounen enough that ill review it:

+Yugo is probably the least annoying shounen protag (and has the most interesting ability, the designers were probably playing Valves Portal at the time)
+Really unique style
+best use of flash for animation, and the CG is blended in seemlessly
+can be funny at times

-the french humor is entirely lost on me
-some fights/scenes are cut short for some reason
-largely episodic
-short series

8/10
Fun show, especially if you like RPG type tropes

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Okay, I laughed.

I sort of agree actually. It's not that they never have younger characters, but they always manage to look way old for their age. Fuck, when I was playing Skyrim the "children" looked more like midgets than children. Or like how old old artwork from pre-Romanesque era all of the "kids" looked like little adults rather than children or whatever. Freaky lookin' little buggers.

Ultimadrago

I sort of agree actually. It's not that they never have younger characters, but they always manage to look way old for their age. Fuck, when I was playing Skyrim the "children" looked more like midgets than children. Or like how old old artwork from pre-Romanesque era all of the "kids" looked like little adults rather than children or whatever. Freaky lookin' little buggers.

I meant the way he worded it. ;p

They're invincible little midgets.

survivor

Banned
Princess Jellyfish 4

Whoa, suddenly some
sad moments with Tsukimi and her mom.

Shuu is a great character. He is like the male equivalent of Tsukimi but knows how to dress respectably. And the love triangle is getting more serious. Only problem is the episode lacked the other members of the Sisterhood.

Naruto SD 9
tumblr_m4socg50b11qm1zbw.gif

Naruto is the main character of NARUTO: Shippuden
Fandom Secret
. I still hate that they keep trying to force Naruto out of the plot though at least he had way more screentime then the last. Anime isn't as funny as it could possibly be.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Princess Jellyfish 4

Whoa, suddenly some
sad moments with Tsukimi and her mom.

Shuu is a great character. He is like the male equivalent of Tsukimi but knows how to dress respectably. And the love triangle is getting more serious. Only problem is the episode lacked the other members of the Sisterhood.

Is that Nina?

cajunator

Banned
So after putting it off for several years, I think I'll start ripping all the DVDs in my anime collection I've built up over the past 10 years to my media repository. As I likely have around a few hundred discs, I'm guessing this will take a while. :(

I was thinking about doing this, but it would be like 300 discs ;_;

Since I'm sick of waiting I decided to rewatch Manyuu instead.
Manyuu Hikenchou 1

Poor Kaede, getting your tits cut off doesn't sound very fun or painless. Still like this show quite a bit. Though the manga goes about it much better, but hearing Yui obsess over breasts is always a plus.

I was thinking about rewatching this earlier today.

Chet, you have excellent taste.

Manyuu Hikenchou 2
Bouncing boobs everywhere. The way the anime takes two unrelated chapters in the manga and splices them together kind of dampens the whole episode. But whatever. Using your boobs to hypnotize people apparently makes them sag. Who knew?
Now Chifusa knows why she absorbs the breasts she cuts, but not how she does. So she sets off how to learn how to control it.

What's wrong with old characters?

Old characters should only be like mentors, or antagonists. When the entire game is full of them, its just not immersive. Not to mention, Ive never actually seen such a character look compelling or good designwise. I just can't connect.

Jormungand 8

Really boring. Jonah Lehm laughed and that was the only first part, the other 18 minutes after were a drag.

Uchip

Banned
Old characters should only be like mentors, or antagonists. When the entire game is full of them, its just not immersive. Not to mention, Ive never actually seen such a character look compelling or good designwise. I just can't connect.

well on the contrary I find it impossible to relate to most shounen shows because they feature a cast of tweens
One Piece is a pretty good exception

well on the contrary I find it impossible to relate to most shounen shows because they feature a cast of tweens
One Piece is a pretty good exception

teens to mid 20's is the choice age group for characters to relate too. Though taking into account age, I'd still only like the same ones in One Piece, for the main cast, the non powerful trio characters are too old, weak, or not that compelling in design.

Welcome to the NHK 4

Ah, I can't even imagine my excitement if I was able to go to a dojinshi shop. All my characters and series. That was a pretty fun episode. I guess Kaoru will get some development at some point,
seems he may also have some issue to deal with too, though not as extreme as Satou. He too has no friends, bad love history, and I guess bad relations with his peers

Senpai
> Misaki.

Dresden

I haven't seen the UY films in a decade or so, but I remember the fifth moving me to near tears.

Beautiful Dreamer is the only one I've seen, but I do plan on watching UY (in general, although I'll probably just what the Oshii eps) in the future (so probably in about thirty years).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom