• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsippel

Banned
I really can't see how the show can only be 12 episodes. It will have to be so rushed or else seemingly cut off right in the middle.
There's supposedly something about a second season on the official website (just a hint if I remember correctly), but I don't read moonspeak. I sure hope it's not over after 12 episodes.

duckroll

If Medaka Box really is twelve episodes and they continue their precise two-chapters-per-episode pace, this is going to end up in a weird spot.

Anyway, episode 9 was alright. Can't wait for next week.

Apparently only 11 episodes will be manga material? It seems the final episode is an original scenario written by Nisio, featuring some anime original characters designed by Akatsuki.

00000222.jpg
00000223.jpg

Steroyd

Medaka Box - 09

Alright time to start the Shiranui for vice president campaign. (I-i-it's not like I have been doing behind the scenes work or anything.)

Medaka Box 9
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4vxw8NmKp1qbxqfpo1_500.png[img]

I guess it would have felt more impactful if we didn't know it was coming.[/QUOTE]

Even if we ignored what everyone said in the thread, it was an inevitable direction it was going in from episode one, providing you didn't gouge your eyes out every time the OP played.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Apparently only 11 episodes will be manga material? It seems the final episode is an original scenario written by Nisio, featuring some anime original characters designed by Akatsuki.

00000222.jpg
00000223.jpg
Ugh. There go all the chances that the show would end on a high note.

Medaka box 9

Wait... what the fuck is going on? Why do... what? Shit is turning into tenjou tenge...

huh...

The true Medaka Box experience.

BluWacky

you should watch Earth Maiden Arjuna before it's too late.

I don't feel as though people are really embracing the Kawamori magic yet. You can't just watch Arjuna and AKB and feel like you know Kawamori, you know? You should all watch at least some of Kiruminzoo or Basquash. And then maybe even some of the stuff that's at least mildly good, like Earth Defense Family!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Ace o Nerae! 18-21:

Toudou is trying (
successfully
) to steal Oka from the garden of maidens. Damn you Toudou, damn you to hell!

duckroll

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/gyrozetter/

Gyrozetter anime will air on TV Tokyo starting in October. This is based on the Square Enix media-mix arcade game which will also have a manga and a 3DS game.

Original Work: Square Enix
Planning/Concept: Ryutaro Ichimura
Director: Shinji Takamatsu
Series Composition: Dai Sato & Storyriders
Music: Naoki Sato
Original Character Designs: Hiroshi Kaieda
Character Designs: Yoshinori Yumoto
Gyrozetter Designs: Junya Ishigaki, Yukio Ikeda, Toshiaki Ihara, Susumu Imaishi, Kanetake Ebikawa, KAI Graphics, Fumihiro Katagai, Shoji Kawamori, Shinobu Tsuneki,
Ryou Hirata, Brunet Stainslas, Yasuhiro Moriki, Jo Yanagi, Thomas Romain, Naohiro Washio
Production: A-1 Pictures

7Th

Gyrozetter anime will air on TV Tokyo starting in October. This is based on the Square Enix media-mix arcade game which will also have a manga and a 3DS game.

Gyrozetter Designs: Junya Ishigaki, Yukio Ikeda, Toshiaki Ihara, Susumu Imaishi, Kanetake Ebikawa, KAI Graphics, Fumihiro Katagai, Shoji Kawamori, Shinobu Tsuneki,
Ryou Hirata, Brunet Stainslas, Yasuhiro Moriki, Jo Yanagi, Thomas Romain, Naohiro Washio

Why is Sato working on this but not on Ao? :V

Medaka Box - 09

Alright time to start the Shiranui for vice president campaign. (I-i-it's not like I have been doing behind the scenes work or anything.)

Even if we ignored what everyone said in the thread, it was an inevitable direction it was going in from episode one, providing you didn't gouge your eyes out every time the OP played.

Not a fan of happy crazy box? I always thought it was just going to be some alternate take on SKET Dance., well before reading those comments.

mAcOdIn

So after putting it off for several years, I think I'll start ripping all the DVDs in my anime collection I've built up over the past 10 years to my media repository. As I likely have around a few hundred discs, I'm guessing this will take a while. :(
Why not do it how I do mine? What I do is "rip" the actual movies or episodes but not as isos. I use MakeMKV, basically all it does is look at the disc, see what chapters(video), subtitles, and audio options, I uncheck the shit I don't want and what it does is just basically transfers that data over untouched to my computer and wraps it in a MKV file. It's kind of a middle solution, kinda like DVD-shrink is I guess, I'm not saving space on the audio or video because it's keeping the original MPEG2(for DVDs but it does Blurays as well) but as a positive I'm not introducing new issues because it's not re-encoding something already encoded however you do save space over just ripping them as ISOs because you can leave off all the unwanted stuff like the extra audio and the like out. MakeMKV's worked on every disc I have except Mushishi's second disc. I like this method the best, untouched video and audio without the pain in the ass of having to navigate to certain discs and then your episode of choice.

I then use XBMC and get it to scrape with aniDB, which unfortunately sometimes requires work to get it named just so.

Also, since this is a rather uncharacteristic post by myself after such an extended leave I'd like to say one thing. ABF, Upotte sucks. I'm really glad that Marlin wasn't represented in any way as then I'd never feel the same firing my rifle.

Ok, time to sleep, T minus 6 hours until my next shift.

That actually looks pretty cool, especially two of the three character designs. Hope it actually has good battle visuals.

survivor

Banned
Saint Seiya Omega 9

Hey anime, you got Naruto in my Saint Seiya. Haruto is a cool addition to the team, I'm liking his power and attacks already.

So did they just ditch everyone at the school and let them die? My, so much for being heroes.

Wes

venison crêpe
Having just finished watching Toradora all I can say is... stupid dog.
Minorin was by far the superior choice.

Wes

venison crêpe
Ami, you mean.

Beyond saying "I know what you're really feeling but I'm not going to explain it to you" and "You're stupid" I found her rather pointless. In fact did she do anything beyond saying those two things?

trejo

Holy shit, mAc's alive?!

Beyond saying "I know what you're really feeling but I'm not going to explain it to you" and "You're stupid" I found her rather pointless. In fact did she do anything beyond saying those two things?

Yes, she also wore slutty outfits.

00000222.jpg
00000223.jpg

Oh, for the love of... if they resolve hinted at plot points like Class 13 in an anime original ending, fuck everything.

Guess we can only hope for a season 2 :(

Go_Ly_Dow

finally listening to the utena ost and it's absolutely fantastic

would give anything to erase my mind on the show and watch it again

such a memorable experience

Solune

Aim for the Yuri:

8GnYpl.jpg

Yuri mufflers for Solune.
You're too kind
taZ2Nl.jpg

Tired after some school quad sex.
I'm not sure what they are aiming for here!
Ace o Nerae! 18-21:

Toudou is trying (
successfully
) to steal Oka from the garden of maidens. Damn you Toudou, damn you to hell!
Toudou will have to watch over Oka when Coachie cannot.
Having just finished watching Toradora all I can say is... stupid dog.
Minorin was by far the superior choice.

Minorin is the worst girl.

/XX/

Even if Mr. Yamamura's Muybridge's Strings has been available for download quite some time already (http://www.nfb.ca/film/muybridges_strings_trailer/download/), a nice quality on Blu-ray Disc further beyond the one they have offered until now is always very welcome, and this short seems to be worth of that and much more:

Amazon.co.jp: マイブリッジの糸 Blu-ray: 山村浩二: DVD
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0087BJ9BK/

And here I thought the National Film Board Of Canada would have stopped trying to monetize this production by now (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27319904&postcount=11814)...

Oh, for the love of... if they resolve hinted at plot points like Class 13 in an anime original ending, fuck everything.

Guess we can only hope for a season 2 :(
At first I had the impression that the producers were testing the waters to avoid compromising themselves and the animation production studio on a long running series. Maybe they see this original episode as a further incentive for those interested in purchasing the series, and for them to check more clearly if following 'cours' are viable.

Kids on the Slope 8

This is a big shift after last episode's uplifting ending. I really liked it though, especially in how it fleshed out some side characters. The flashbacks did a good job of cramming a fair amount of material into a small time frame while retaining its emotional impact, even though it was just a series of stills. The episode in general did a good job of visually reflecting the emotional turmoil of the characters through meaningfully jarring camera angles and closeups.

Even though there was no performance of a jazz standard, the music was superb, both the avant-garde jam and the evocative soundtrack.

Tsuritama 8

On the one hand, certain elements were resolved quicker than I expected; on the other hand, that resolution just fed into the "shit is going down next time" feel. Not particularly amazing in itself, but a promising setup.

cajunator

Banned
you should watch Earth Maiden Arjuna before it's too late.

It's never too late! I still haven't learned from the mountain either.

Why not do it how I do mine? What I do is "rip" the actual movies or episodes but not as isos. I use MakeMKV, basically all it does is look at the disc, see what chapters(video), subtitles, and audio options, I uncheck the shit I don't want and what it does is just basically transfers that data over untouched to my computer and wraps it in a MKV file. It's kind of a middle solution, kinda like DVD-shrink is I guess, I'm not saving space on the audio or video because it's keeping the original MPEG2(for DVDs but it does Blurays as well) but as a positive I'm not introducing new issues because it's not re-encoding something already encoded however you do save space over just ripping them as ISOs because you can leave off all the unwanted stuff like the extra audio and the like out. MakeMKV's worked on every disc I have except Mushishi's second disc. I like this method the best, untouched video and audio without the pain in the ass of having to navigate to certain discs and then your episode of choice.

I then use XBMC and get it to scrape with aniDB, which unfortunately sometimes requires work to get it named just so.

Also, since this is a rather uncharacteristic post by myself after such an extended leave I'd like to say one thing. ABF, Upotte sucks. I'm really glad that Marlin wasn't represented in any way as then I'd never feel the same firing my rifle.

Ok, time to sleep, T minus 6 hours until my next shift.

thanks for this info. Will try this program. If it means I can just bring an HDD to my friends house instead of actual DVDs thats less chance to lose/damage something.

http://style.fm/as/02_topics/mini_news/top_minin_120531a.shtml

Ufotable's Manabi Straight is being released on blu-ray in July. For the BD-box release the entire series has been re-composited in full HD. The final episode will feature brand new CG and camera work using the latest technology and skills the studio has today.

There is so much Cute, and so little time :(

duckroll

Kids on the Slope - Episode 8

I don't wanna talk about this episode. If it were any other show, I would have dropped it after an episode like this. :p

Makoto

Gurren Lagann 17-27 (FINAL)

The second half of Gurren Lagann is undoubtedly one that makes the show's flaws much more apparent. Fast forward seven years and Simon is leader of a city. Why? The guy is suited for military command at the most. Why not choose the various leaders of Yoko's village to lead this new industrial village? Everything about the leadership structure of the city of bothered me and was obviously there for sentimental purposes.
Similar to Return of the Jedi where
Han Solo becomes a general out of nowhere,
done for the sole purpose of
putting the familiar characters in a position of power that keeps them at the forefront of the narrative, except the way Gurren Lagann did it was much more obvious.

With the chess pieces in place, the show moves forward some melodrama no one asked for. With an annoyingly one-dimensional populace guiding his hand, Rossiu throws the ultimate punishment at Simon. Simply because someone needs to be held accountable. Oh and Rossiu actually wants kill Simon. Yup. It's stuff like this that makes wonder what happened in those seven years we didn't see. Rossiu's got a huge stick up his ass for whatever reason and though it's revealed that he weeps over his decision to sentence Simon to death, he goes through with it. This guy talks up a storm of following the law but gives Simon an unfair trial? Couldn't Rossiu just faked Simon's execution and sent him to a region where he could be in hiding? AREN'T THESE PEOPLE FRIENDS? What happened in those seven years we didn't see? Everyone, particularly Rossiu, went stupid. Building a spaceship to leave Earth when the anti-Spirals are obviously a force capable of intergalactic travel? After witnessing the anti-Spirals materialize out of thin air, everyone just thinks, "Sucks that the Earth's surface will uninhabitable but at least we've got a spaceship, to go into space, where we will obviously be safe." All the while, they've been desperately trying to take Gurren Lagann out of commission for whatever stupid reason?

/shrug, all of this stupidity was for the sole purpose of setting up Rossiu's dumb redemption moment, wasn't it?

Then the show devolves into "our enemies are big, so we gotta get bigger," nonsense. The anti-Spiral forces get big/powerful, the humans get bigger/more powerful and the process just keeps repeating itself. It's nothing like the conquering of gunmen in first half, where you could acknowledge that these ragtag band of humans were accomplishing something grand. Each gunmen taken felt earned because of the battles that preceded them. It doesn't feel like the first-half where Simon goes into discouraged (but logical) slumps. He was understandably scared/confused/intimidated for a lot of the first half, so it makes sense that he would utilize the help of Kamina and the others to boost his spirits and win the fight in the end. In the second-half, power levels are high but they're simply... not high enough. When they fight against the anti-Spiral, it's just Simon not being uplifted enough when he already has a ton of fighting spirit inside of him. It's just an unmitigated narrative barrage of, "We have to throw more coal into the fire!" Yes, it's inline with thematic approach of the series but irksome when, low and behold, they just need more fighting spirit on top of what they already have.

The anti-Spiral... leader, is another problem in and of itself. It's amazing how a villain with such power, such as bending probability itself, could be so ridiculous. Doing laughable attacks like throwing galaxies as if they're shuriken. Is his defeat in line with the show's allegorical objectives? Absolutely. Does this make the battle leading up to his defeat any less stupid? No. The guy was boarding the ship with ease, having chats with a humanoid Boota while everyone was experiencing Inception. With maximum cheese, our heroes break out from their psychological prison to rise up against illusions and defeat the anti-Spiral who fails at logic himself. Having acknowledged that no group of Spirals have made it so far, he decides to... fight them on an even playing field. K...

The message is clear but the show didn't need to spit up chewed food into my face to get it across. Needless to say, the second-half of Gurren Lagann for me, will be what The Matrix sequels are for many people: something that didn't happen. 3/5

duckroll

Tsuritama Ep8

Pretty good stuff. Shit is happening. Things are moving in place. Shit is going to get real. Etc. I really liked the Natsuki scenes with his sister, pretty effective emotionally. Next week should be FUN.

Medaka Box 09
AjiQJ.jpg

Well this is the coolest episode yet. I like the new characters, some of the weapons are pretty wtf, yet it was action-y, lots of stuff happened and I enjoy the new normal joke that kept occurring. Gotta read the manga one day.

cajunator

Banned
Medaka Box 09
AjiQJ.jpg

Well this is the coolest episode yet. I like the new characters, some of the weapons are pretty wtf, yet it was action-y, lots of stuff happened and I enjoy the new normal joke that kept occurring. Gotta read the manga one day.

wtf is Medaka going all wolverine right there?
Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom