• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
One Piece 18

m6Y3m.jpg

Being Luffy is suffering

Bad art for a bad episode, how fitting. I'm trying to wash the memory of this episode's character from my mind, but it's not working. Will the suffering ever end?

Ultimadrago

Lupin III: A Woman named Fujiko Mine 9

EZYP9.jpg

The team.

This episode again has led into an attempt to give Fujiiko more emotion through vague and questioning imagery. A determined Fujiko is quite the welcome sight, even if it didn't really succeed in me "caring" about her character. I appreciate the attempt at giving her visible and understandable dimension.

Seeing Lupin and Jigen together from the start shows some product of their past interactions and the chemistry between them always rings nicely with me.

Fujiko's untold past through their interactions with her, however,
leads to them at dangerous odds.
There were some scenes that could have been animated better. Though on the audio cue side, the little "beep boops" from
Fujiko's past life flashes
in accordance to connecting or relating with
Paint Girl ( as in when she first thought back in this episode and when she chased her down in the cop car)
was a neat touch and one that could have just as easily been left out.

Lupin's show offs of silliness with even a serious Fujiko got some smirks out of me. The man is just a really likable character. "10 points! 10 points! 10 poooints!" Though what was up with the music? I speak specifically in the case of
the final chase of Fujiko and Lupin
. It was off, but not in a fitting way at all, it actually pulled me out a bit.

Anyways, I liked this episode. I felt that I left with something worth taking from the episode in regards to Fujiko and Lupin. Though I may never know how the man is so apt about things. He's wise in a way where I never really question how or why.

Having just watched the newest episode, the characters in Tsuritama feel like genuine human beings while the characters on Slope feel like soap opera characters. The fact that Tsuritama weaves its character development into the overarching meta-narrative makes it feel like a character-first show. Even the "weakest" character, Akira, has a full arc that feels genuine - moving from sceptic to friend over the course of 9 episodes.

Tsuritama has to be one of the most deliberate and thoughtfully planned examples of steady character growth I've seen over a TV series, and it is successful for that very reason. Those who dropped it in the first couple episodes because they found the characters annoying made the wrong choice.

Kids on the Slope, on the other hand, operates on the level of "felt" reality. Especially because the whole series has been compressing time to an incredible extent, it gives the impression of an imagined recreation of what teenage romance(/bromance) feels like, bouncing from emotional high to low. That certainly creates a "soap opera"-like atmosphere.

I'm okay with bad writing, if you're trying to make something that's supposed to be "bad" in some way.

Thumbtacks in Oka's shoes? It's so unbelievably bitchy that it wraps around into something awesome.

The two go to female tragedies -
cutting your hair
and
having sex
- typically fall flat because these moments are almost never earned.

The last
hair cut
arc that worked for me was in Aria, and it took 3 seasons to get to that point.

While I wouldn't defend the haircut in Kids on the Slope, mainly because Yurika is so underdeveloped in general, I don't see how one in itself makes for bad writing. As a general rule, it's how a trope is used that makes it bad, not the trope in itself.

Also, I do think you're biased in Aria's case.

duckroll

Yurika sucks. Every moment she continues to latch on to the show, the weaker the show gets. They need to write her off. Hopefully a train is involved. I wonder if noitaminA is considered a late enough slot to have the visuals I have in my head right now. :D

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Kids on the Slope, on the other hand, operates on the level of "felt" reality. Especially because the whole series has been compressing time to an incredible extent, it gives the impression of an imagined recreation of what teenage romance(/bromance) feels like, bouncing from emotional high to low. That certainly creates a "soap opera"-like atmosphere.
Being "soap opera" like isn't really a bad thing at all anyway. It's all about the execution. That said I really like the feel of Kids on the Slope a lot due to those reasons. My main problem with it, is simply how they are handling the supporting cast relative to the main trio. Characters like Brother Jun and Yurika feel like glorified plot devices, due to their lack of any real development.

duckroll

Yurika is not a "glorified plot device" because that would give her too much credit. She's just a foil. Her only purpose right from the start was to upset the balance and create some misunderstandings, and later the author decided to write some development and let her hang around as a supporting character who continues to play that same purpose but under the guise of an "actual" character. It's really lame and boring. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I definitely like the characters in Kids on the Slope more honestly. But I'd admit the character development for the cast, in case of Tsuritama has felt far more natural, probably the benefit of not having to condense a 9-volume manga into 12-episodes.;p

Aren't you a fan of Gamu? You should know that adapting a long book into a short TV series is not really an excuse.

Tsuritama has to be one of the most deliberate and thoughtfully planned examples of steady character growth I've seen over a TV series, and it is successful for that very reason. Those who dropped it in the first couple episodes because they found the characters annoying made the wrong choice.

I feel that there's this reliance on the setting being completely relatable in Apollon, and you're just supposed to buy into high school romances without any second thought to what is actually happening to the characters.

You think about it though - both shows started with characters with social anxiety disorder (or some equivalent) - and look at the way both characters have evolved. I think it's fair to say that one handled it much better than the other.

As for pushing through material - knowing nothing about the manga, there's really only two assumptions I can make - the manga feels just as contrived or the person writing the show didn't have the balls to properly adapt the source material.

(And, as boring as Hyouka might be, I think it did the
student revolution thing
much better than it was done in this episode of Apollon.)

While I wouldn't defend the haircut in Kids on the Slope, mainly because Yurika is so underdeveloped in general, I don't see how one in itself makes for bad writing. As a general rule, it's how a trope is used that makes it bad, not the trope in itself.

Also, I do think you're biased in Aria's case.
It's just a crutch that people seem to like to use in Japan - especially since it's made to be such a dramatic moment. Even Haganai/Waganai/BokuTomo/IHatePortmanteaus did it after all.

Take the flip-side example in the same show - Jun not shaving or combing his hair. At least that feels natural and isn't turned into some dramatic production.

NeonZ

The second half of Gurren Lagann is undoubtedly one that makes the show's flaws much more apparent. Fast forward seven years and Simon is leader of a city. Why? The guy is suited for military command at the most. Why not choose the various leaders of Yoko's village to lead this new industrial village? Everything about the leadership structure of the city of bothered me and was obviously there for sentimental purposes.

As far as the leadership goes, I thought that was the point? Simon and his friends became the leaders because they were the ones to save humanity. However, most of them weren't fit for those roles and the show seems to point it out pretty clearly.

7Th

Being "soap opera" like isn't really a bad thing at all anyway. It's all about the execution. That said I really like the feel of Kids on the Slope a lot due to those reasons. My main problem with it, is simply how they are handling the supporting cast relative to the main trio. Characters like Brother Jun and Yurika feel like glorified plot devices, due to their lack of any real development.

Main trio? More like main duo. Ritsuko is barely any better than Jun or Yurika.

wonzo

Banned
Sengoku Collection 9

if there's one thing this show was missing, it was a former warring state general dressed up as a battle meido. it would kinda own if they decided to turn this into a shounen-esque battle anime for the next few episodes.

duckroll

(And, as boring as Hyouka might be, I think it did the
student revolution thing
much better than it was done in this episode of Apollon.)

Of course it did. That's not in question at all. If you're going to do a flashback of that sort, I think there's a rule about using static images in moderation and presenting them without feeling lazy and cheap. It completely failed in Apollon because after the 8th image or so I was thinking "good god, did they really spend ALL their money last week? is there none left?!" lol.

My suggestion for how to greatly improve that scene if they wanted to just use stills because of budget concerns, would be to present Jun's memories as newspaper articles. Start with campus papers showing photos of Jun and his friend in various official school functions or photos showing them in casual scenes while he narrates, then as he gets more and more involved in the activism, the photos should progress to articles in actual newspapers, and possibly even opinion-eds from different sides of the political spectrum, and so on. It would also allow for more creative panning and camera work, and clever transitions. Instead what we got was just boring babble + static shit. Zzzzzzzzzz.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sengoku Collection 9

if there's one thing this show was missing, it was a former warring state general dressed up as a battle meido. it would kinda own if they decided to turn this into a shounen-esque battle anime for the next few episodes.

You'd think that people who were constantly trying to kill each other in the past would, y'know, get into some fights sometimes. Apparently television and cheeseburgers really do cause people to renounce their savage ways, regardless of culture.

duckroll

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Of course it did. That's not in question at all. If you're going to do a flashback of that sort, I think there's a rule about using static images in moderation and presenting them without feeling lazy and cheap. It completely failed in Apollon because after the 8th image or so I was thinking "good god, did they really spend ALL their money last week? is there none left?!" lol.

My suggestion for how to greatly improve that scene if they wanted to just use stills because of budget concerns, would be to present Jun's memories as newspaper articles. Start with campus papers showing photos of Jun and his friend in various official school functions or photos showing them in casual scenes while he narrates, then as he gets more and more involved in the activism, the photos should progress to articles in actual newspapers, and possibly even opinion-eds from different sides of the political spectrum, and so on. It would also allow for more creative panning and camera work, and clever transitions. Instead what we got was just boring babble + static shit. Zzzzzzzzzz.

My other favourite writing staple is how a character is supposed to
give this tremendously inspiring speech only to have them cut away after the character's first sentence.
The funny thing is, they could have just went cheap and shown them
playing jazz together for a few seconds
and that would have been enough to establish that relationship.

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIRS

I actually liked that because
it was really damn unexpected. The anxiety over Kuina's lowered growth while all the boys pass her probably made her careless, leading to a stupid but very probable death.

Though I can definitely understand why it's made fun of.

duckroll

My other favourite writing staple is how a character is supposed to
give this tremendously inspiring speech only to have them cut away after the character's first sentence.
The funny thing is, they could have just went cheap and shown them
playing jazz together for a few seconds
and that would have been enough to establish that relationship.

All they had to do was to show
Jun and whoeverhisfriendwas in a newsletter article with a photo of them playing jazz at some event or whatever! No animation required!

Dresden

I actually liked that because
it was really damn unexpected. The anxiety over Kuina's lowered growth while all the boys pass her probably made her careless, leading to a stupid but very probable death.

Though I can definitely understand why it's made fun of.

Admittedly with what happened before the timeskip it only became the third most dangerous thing in One Piece.

survivor

Banned
Princess Jellyfish 5

Huh, they really gonna play the whole "Shou can't recognize her cause she looks different" thing for a long time aren't they? I expected something better from this anime, oh well.

Makoto

Edit: (Gurren Lagann spoilers)

As far as the leadership goes, I thought that was the point? Simon and his friends became the leaders because they were the ones to save humanity. However, most of them weren't fit for those roles
and the show seems to point it out pretty clearly.
I think the show pointed out the opposite.
They developed a borderline utopian capital where, if I'm not mistaken, Rossiu and the others remarked that people were taking their new comfy lives for granted by complaining about relatively small stuff like taxes being too high. If anything, the show made it pretty clear that they were very fit and as a result of it, quality of life was high. Especially since after the anti-Spirals attacked, the citizens were mostly complaining about who would reimburse the damages on their houses rather than the fact that the Earth was going to be wiped out.

I never even thought of much of the reasoning stuff when I was watching. I guess the show had me caught up in just how big and awesome it could get that I just accepted everything because it looked, sounded, and was really cool.
To its credit, the show's engaging and its presentation is commendable. It was hard for me to not get swept up in its moments despite my complaints.

They developed a borderline utopian capital where, if I'm not mistaken, Rossiu and the others remarked that people were taking their new comfy lives for granted by complaining about relatively small stuff like taxes being too high. If anything, the show made it pretty clear that they were very fit and as a result of it, quality of life was high. Especially since after the anti-Spirals attacked, the citizens were mostly complaining about who would reimburse the damages on their houses rather than the fact that the Earth was going to be wiped out.
I think that was more to humanity's credit than to its leaders', if that makes any sense.

Sengoku Collection 9 Ambitious Princess I
tumblr_m4wzeqg6m51qbxqfpo1_500.png

This an the one with the haiku one are my two favorite episodes. Shinku is hilarious and has a decent personality, and her skills were good. Finally the anime is becoming somewhat intriguing.

Tsuritama 8

Eh, now that the allure of the mystery is gone, not sure how excited I am for future episodes. The ending did seem promising, but I'm not really expecting a high level of "shit just got real" if episode 6 is anything to go by (though I did like that).

You'd think that people who were constantly trying to kill each other in the past would, y'know, get into some fights sometimes. Apparently television and cheeseburgers really do cause people to renounce their savage ways, regardless of culture.

If anything, I'm surprised that there's some sort of magic in the Sengoku world. You think this would have been mentioned before by someday.

survivor

Banned
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 1

This was weird. The way camera moved and focused on random shit was annoying. Like it would just cut to random scenes while characters are talking, or extremely zooming in too uncomfortably to their faces, or for some reason it's just too far from the characters when they are sitting and talking. Kinda annoyed me throughout the whole episode.

It's kinda funny how the objects, furniture and so on are so ugly. Coming in from Princess Jellyfish which looks great, this just looks bland. Well I like the characters and their design but everything else is meh, especially the classroom, so ugly.

Anyway, the comedic parts were decent. I can definitely see the type of humour they are going for and I hope they can improve on it.

Eureka Seven AO - Episode 8: One Nation Under A Groove

This is one of those obviously outsourced episodes where the majority of the character animation and art feels off and looks kinda bad. Still, I enjoyed what they did with this episode. They expand the world a little more with another stock mission, Fleur and Ao grow closer together, more character development, all mecha pilots have daddy issues, and some interesting suggestions on Generation Bleu's relations with the rest of the world. Probably the cheapest episode of E7AO so far in terms of production values, but it's still better than this week's Apollon. What does that say? Lol.

I actually starting to kinda dig the references and in-jokes in this show. I think it's the Omigawa effect. Gotta go wash my brain again. :(

No Truth? :(

Edit: (Gurren Lagann spoilers)

It's all thanks to the
Spiral Power. You know all that Spiral Nemesis stuff.

NeonZ

Gurren Lagann 2nd half spoilers

I think the show pointed out the opposite. They developed a borderline utopian capital where, if I'm not mistaken, Rossiu and the others remarked that people were taking their new comfy lives for granted by complaining about relatively small stuff like taxes being too high. If anything, the show made it pretty clear that they were very fit and as a result of it, quality of life was high. Especially since after the anti-Spirals attacked, the citizens were mostly complaining about who would reimburse the damages on their houses rather than the fact that the Earth was going to be wiped out.

But that was mostly due to the ancient tech that they recovered and used again. We're shown that most of them were doing little as the city's political leaders, while Simon just plain seemed out of his element.

The only one that seemed to be at least trying was Rossiu, and he was eventually shown to be misguided due to his past influences. The show then also goes on to say that abusing spiral power and just relying on it thoughtless is bad.

wonzo

Banned
Kids on the Slope 8

Ehh, this felt pretty weak after last weeks episode. Yurika's an incredibly threadbare character and Hyouka certainly handled the
student politics stuff
in a far more engaging way.

i'd also have bloodthirsty urges if I was constantly surrounded by people who look like this.

This was weird. The way camera moved and focused on random shit was annoying. Like it would just cut to random scenes while characters are talking, or extremely zooming in too uncomfortably to their faces, or for some reason it's just too far from the characters when they are sitting and talking. Kinda annoyed me throughout the whole episode.

I liked the spastic direction and thought it worked well for the manic comedic tone the show was going for. It does settle down after the next episode though, so you'll probably like it better then.

It's kinda funny how the objects, furniture and so on are so ugly. Coming in from Princess Jellyfish which looks great, this just looks bland. Well I like the characters and their design but everything else is meh, especially the classroom, so ugly.

It terms of actual animation, it's one of Shaft's best looking shows, but the background art is certainly not a looker.

The Tower of Druaga ~ the Aegis of Uruk 04
Good episode. Heavy on the exposition side at the start, but I guess there's no other way for the viewer to understand everything. I am enjoying the battles and good job for the crew winning their first encounter. There are multiple parties that the show is following which is leading to a lot of jumping back and forth but that's manageable for now.

Ultimadrago

Kids on the Slope 8

hlU3W.jpg

Smoking is bad, kids.

More
student movements
! This time done in a boring, grainy powerpoint format that lasts some minutes. I confused as to whether
Yurika's
"development" is suppose to mean anything to the viewer besides a chance at some
sodium from Sentarou
? It felt meaningless to me.

Also, people need to stop falling in love around here!

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Shaft-o.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom